Do we enjoy crying while watching K dramas?

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
sfbayoppa

Do we enjoy crying while watching K dramas?

Post by sfbayoppa » Oct 22nd, '06, 11:46

Every Korean drama, sad or even light comedies, have those moments.....

you know.....that just absolutely make you break down and start balling like a baby!

The two worst for me were Stairway to heaven and Autumn Tale.....my eyes were sore for a week.

Even Full house and My girl got me choked up but looking back those were the best scenes in the entire drama.

We all watch, knowing these moments are coming and always come back for more...why?

I think we all now have this sick addicting to these sad, crying moments and look forward to the next time we can start weeping again.

anglvue

Post by anglvue » Nov 1st, '06, 04:45

i'm not sure if we enjoy it but i know we all love a good drama. it just can't be helped if our eyes get weepy at those really sad moments.

with korean dramas, i cried most to endless love/a tale of autumn. that was my first really exposure to k-dramas.

melica37

Post by melica37 » Nov 1st, '06, 05:04

Crying means you have actually been moved by the emotions and story you are watching.
And isn't that what we watch love stories for...to laugh, cry and be moved. Oh ya and to envy and lust after the adoration of beautiful fantasy boyfriends. But that doesn't have to do with crying so much. :roll

silvermug

Post by silvermug » Nov 1st, '06, 19:34

i'm not sure if i enjoy crying. but i am usually touched by the emotions from the drama and therefore i cry, even if the scene wasn't that sad. autumn tale is a very sad drama. very sad that the main actress' behavior was starting to irritate me, because some of the events were already stupid. *sigh*

that's why these days, i'm scouting for comedic dramas. i love comedic korean dramas. full house, mnikss, my girl... ahhh... i don't know how many times i watched mnikss and my girl, but those were really funny for me.

annne82

Post by annne82 » Nov 1st, '06, 20:50

Like you , I don't really 'enjoy' crying.. But I must say that for Stairways to Heaven.. arff such a beautiful KD that made my eyes sore for a week and had me do some thinkings over certain things of everydays's life..

But for My Girl or Full House , I was touched , perhaps a tear here and there but here the story is cute and the next moment is 'comic' so it was much lighter :)

However I must say that crying for a movie and laughing also somehow says that the movie is good :)

korean_foreva

Post by korean_foreva » Dec 9th, '06, 21:30

awww...i love cryin in a drama...dats wot makes it gd..hehe...i just finished watchin stairway to heaven i cried a lot in dat..and in goong i bit i think//hehe but cryin is a gd thing ^^ it wot keeps me from watchin them

pristina

Post by pristina » Dec 10th, '06, 07:51

for me i cry hopelessly in [Love letter] from episode 1 all the way to episode 16... it has been a few months after i watched [love letter] but till now I am still crying.....

EVE_in_BLACK

Post by EVE_in_BLACK » Dec 10th, '06, 08:29

I can't control my tears when I watch K dorama ... they just come out ...

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Dec 10th, '06, 18:32

Don't really enjoy crying if it's because of someone dying or sad or very bad life... (example: DAMO (horrible), Stairway to Heaven (unrealistic), ... those kind of drama... too cliche and no originality).

Definitely...
- hate incest theme
- hate those supporting actors/actress obsesses with the MAIN actor/actress because of love??!!! (they should move on for god sake!)

Enjoy stories that have positive elements such as enlightenment, reflection, wisdom, and new discovery.... also happy ending.

joyousdan

Post by joyousdan » Dec 13th, '06, 08:41

I enjoy all dramas because of these scenes. I think that these scenes that make one cry, instill in us a sense of humanity. We re-assure ourselves in a way that, yes we are still compassionate; yes, we still have feelings; yes we can empathize and sympathize. Okay yes, I'm a guy.

I understand how, unrealistic dramas like stairway to heaven, and autumn tale which leaned on the borderlines of incest, would not bring tears to someone or rather get put-off by the whole drama itself... may I remind you that YOUR WATCHING TV.. it's suppose to be unrealistic. Even reality shows are unrealistic (i.e. Survior, Big Brother, etc.) how can it be real if there are 'games' or contests?!? You don't encounter these 'games' in real life!

P.S. Yes I do watch the dramas sometimes because the actresses are sooo pretty :D

Moriya

Post by Moriya » Dec 14th, '06, 05:02

:cry:

Tears... prepare a bucket when u watch kdrama

:cry:

bean

Post by bean » Dec 14th, '06, 05:44

TREE OF HEAVEN REALLY MADE ME CRY...... so touching , cant blv that lee wan will die so proud...

hish, hish... so sad...

autuymnrain
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by autuymnrain » Dec 14th, '06, 05:47

if it can make you cry, i think it has meaning.

sunshine4ever
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sunshine4ever » Dec 14th, '06, 05:54

I enjoy watching K-dramas, but NO I don't enjoy crying, hahahaha. It would be weird to say I enjoy crying. :mrgreen:

cutekid

Post by cutekid » Dec 16th, '06, 15:27

i hate tear jerking dramas. :w00t: why? it just make me sad. aside from that it's just a made up story no offense, but to some extent it can happen in real life but what is the probability that will happen in you life? :-) another reason is my life is already dramatic in a way. no need to add more to it. :D

why people love to cry and watch these dramas? I don't know...maybe because of the story, the characters, the actors/actresses? could be. maybe they can see and feel the pain of the character and somehow identify in them. another reason maybe because dramas offers another world different from ours that in a sense provides a place for us to escape momentarily the reality of life in what we see in those dramas. in a way dramas captures a glimpse of our lives and our fantasies (the elegant houses, cars, cloths, beautiful GF/ handsome BF).

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Dec 16th, '06, 16:15

I never cried while watching KDrama...

I don't know, maybe they're just too unrealistic for me to find them truly tragic. MiSa came the closest as I found this drama really beautiful.

JDramas, on the other hand, have made me cry. 3 have, to be exact. Kamisama, 1 Litre and most recently, 14 Sai no Haha.

NADZ

Post by NADZ » Dec 16th, '06, 16:22

i do enjoy crying while watching K dramas, but i dont cry that much.
but i do feel unhappy!!lol :P

funki3

Post by funki3 » Dec 25th, '06, 16:28

lol, i don't know if i ENJOY crying.. but more like i can't help but cry while watching kdramas. i think out of all genres of dramas, kdramas are the most agnsty... which i love and i hate. they're stories are too enticing, so i can't help but get drawn into the story and feel for those characters. there hasn't been one kdrama i've watched that's left me with dry eyes.

marie_23

Post by marie_23 » Dec 25th, '06, 16:47

For me I perfer the korean dramas that don't make one cry a whole lot... :cry:
I try and stay away from the one's where the main actress are actor is supose to die in the end...those I don't like! :cussing: Like "Stairway to heaven" for example, the series was going great but no the directer had to make the main actress suffer more then needed over and over in the series...It got so bad in the drama for me that my eye's where bloodshot red :goggle: from crying too much!....

So, now I look for dramas that have sort good endings! :D [/spoiler]

cutekid

Post by cutekid » Dec 26th, '06, 14:07

marie_23 wrote:For me I perfer the korean dramas that don't make one cry a whole lot... :cry:
I try and stay away from the one's where the main actress are actor is supose to die in the end...those I don't like! :cussing: Like "Stairway to heaven" for example, the series was going great but no the directer had to make the main actress suffer more then needed over and over in the series...It got so bad in the drama for me that my eye's where bloodshot red :goggle: from crying too much!....

So, now I look for dramas that have sort good endings! :D [/spoiler]
yeah me too, totally agree with you. hate those dramas. just watched comedy or those funny kdramas like my girl and princess hours.

strawberrie1210
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by strawberrie1210 » Dec 26th, '06, 14:24

Lol, but I dont really like watching tearjerking dramas like STH and the list goes on. some tearjerking dramas are good but i restrain myself from watching it because i dont wanna cry till my eyes get swollen. i try to scout for comedy dramas like samsoon, my girl and the list goes on. but comedy dramas have sad parts too (especially at the end). for instance, when samsoon tried to forget jin-heon and she cried her heart out. at that particular moment, i cried, too. hehe. and i was depressed for days. that is the main reason why i try to hinder myself from sad dramas. they make me DEPRESSED FOR DAYS (although it's merely a drama)! and each time i listen to a sad song (like ee byol mo tan ee byol in MNIKSS), i get really sad, too. i can feel the sadness deep down in my heart. and yeah, it's very saddening. lolz, this is really lame. hahahah. :lol

PJB

Post by PJB » Dec 27th, '06, 14:54

I've never burst out crying, but human moments touch me the most. It's funny, the scenes that are MEANT to be sad, and I have a stiff face. But the scenes that aren't sad, but with a touching human element, character transformation / change - tend to affect me the most. But there are some scenes which nearly choke me up, like recently in Bad Family with the grandfathers birhtday party, Dal-Gun's goodbye to Na-rim and so forth. All very touchinng that bring a tear to my eye, but... never girly crying. ;)

chocolate_boy

Post by chocolate_boy » Dec 28th, '06, 02:00

I dont really like sad dramas as well. More into comedy like My Girl, Goong, etc. Watching the JDrama 1 litre of tears was very depressing. =_=

Jiiyoung

Post by Jiiyoung » Jan 3rd, '07, 04:02

When I cry in korean dramas, I find that it has enough feeling to create such an effect. So while I don't necessarily enjoy crying, it's my affirmation that I love the drama.

I think I've watched so many sad ones I've come to expect it. ^___^ Sometimes it feels good to look back at a drama I cried about because it means I will remember it.

strawberrie1210
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by strawberrie1210 » Jan 3rd, '07, 06:31

Jiiyoung wrote:When I cry in korean dramas, I find that it has enough feeling to create such an effect. So while I don't necessarily enjoy crying, it's my affirmation that I love the drama.

I think I've watched so many sad ones I've come to expect it. ^___^ Sometimes it feels good to look back at a drama I cried about because it means I will remember it.
yupp, i've got to agree with you about this. when we cry, it means that the drama is able to touch our hearts, literally. the actors and actresses portray their characters very well and they're really good at showing their emotions just like in a real-life situation. :thumleft: and therefore, since the drama has left a sorta 'impact' in our hearts, we will definitely remember even the tiniest details about the drama.

SAmmie-Chan

Post by SAmmie-Chan » Jan 3rd, '07, 17:48

~ I cried the whole way though the last five episodes of Full House. I have to say its one of the best ADramas I've ever seen...it may quicky become a favorite fandom, I"m on the third re-watch and the download only finnished 5 days ago XD

Pekana

Post by Pekana » Jan 3rd, '07, 23:56

I don't cry when I watch dramas. In general, I rarely cry even while watching movies where others are usually bawling their eyes out. I get misty-eyed at most. Not to say that there haven't been movies that have made me start the waterworks in earnest, but that's rare.

That doesn't mean I'm not touched by some moments in dramas, be it Jdrama or Kdrama. I tend to avoid sad dramas because I'm introverted and a daydreamer - imagine in what kind of a mood a sad drama would get me. I need something lighter, so I choose dramas that tend more towards the comedy genre or at least have a happy ending. The only depressing drama that I've watched recently would be Koukou Kyoushi 2003, which I finished shortly before Christmas. The storyline was too creepy for the drama to make me cry, but it left an impression. :crazy: I had to rehabilitate by watching My Girl. :lol

ohcrapimonfire

Post by ohcrapimonfire » Jan 4th, '07, 00:19

I don't particularly "enjoy" crying ever (my eyes get puffy; it's not fun). I did cry during the end of Tree of Heaven, but the plot was so ridiculous sometimes that I often wonder whether I was bawling because of the "saw it coming but I guess it qualifies as a heartwrenching [literally] twist" ending or because the ending was so strange and somewhat creepy. In general, I try to stay away from sad, melodramatic K-Dramas and instead select lighthearted (and of course, melodramatic) K-Drama comedies, like Goong (a favorite), MNIKSS, My Girl, and Delightful Girl.

For serious dramas (and the occasional good cry), I'd watch J-Dramas instead. A drama that I cried genuine tears of sadness for was a J-Drama called Beautiful Life. I know this thread is about K-Dramas, but if you want a drama that's beautifully sad and not over the top (a la Tree of Heaven), totally watch that one! I think I may have teared up ab it during parts of Tokyo Wankei (another J-Drama) because I was touched, but not necessarily sad.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jan 4th, '07, 03:07

The best sad KDrama is MiSa, I think. It's not over-the-top like Heaven's Tree (God, was that a stupid drama) but a lot more human and realistic.

xbabygmonsterx

Post by xbabygmonsterx » Jan 4th, '07, 03:20

lol. Dramas don't get me moved that much actually... haha I must be cruel and heartless since everyone said it's a good thing ^_^ hahaha.

boogiexpie

Post by boogiexpie » Jan 8th, '07, 01:07

i cry really easily! but its all part of watching korean dramas :] i try and watch the korean dramas that have comedy in it too.

WeNwEn426

Post by WeNwEn426 » Jan 8th, '07, 05:50

I cant help crying if I "feel" for the characters!! the dramas are so darn good!! thats why I LOVE watching kdramas....dont even wanna try watching other kinds lol.

annthizzle

Post by annthizzle » Jan 8th, '07, 05:59

yeahh i kry in kdramax all the tyme becuase like i dont really no itx just lyke you feel wat they feel and itx sad!!

cacharel*

Post by cacharel* » Jan 8th, '07, 21:13

i know what u mean... cause i also feel the same -
although we cry so much...
we do enjoy the drama ... especially when u watched it and look back at how much u were crying..
i think the crying shows how much we care for the characters and their feelings,,

annthizzle

Post by annthizzle » Jan 9th, '07, 01:11

yeahh i noe!! lol and sometymes itx good too cry at a sad movie cuhx you can let it all out!! =)

Auty
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Auty » Jan 12th, '07, 21:47

that is like the whole reason i watch them!!
sometimes its good to let out your emotions..

xxxlazixxx

Post by xxxlazixxx » Jan 12th, '07, 23:23

not dat i enjoy, but i cant help not to, in goong i cryed, and a lil in fullhouse, also in stairway to heaven, my girl, and other dramas ='(

annthizzle

Post by annthizzle » Jan 13th, '07, 00:29

aww stairway to heavenn!! really sadd i hekka kried mee and my mommy dyd!! hekka sadd!!

cutekid

Post by cutekid » Jan 13th, '07, 00:31

i don't really cry watching those dramas. i really don't. not that i'm a stone or something. i'm a man and i don't cry over such things but one thing i can say i do get touched by those sad scenes in dramas. even those light dramas those that are funny has a dose of those touching scenes. like my girl and goong. i did'nt cry on those scenes but it touched me. i don't like tear jerking dramas because it will just make me sad or feel bad. i just watch those funny ones like my girl, full house and goong.

Auty
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Auty » Jan 13th, '07, 01:31

cutekid wrote:i don't really cry watching those dramas. i really don't. not that i'm a stone or something. i'm a man and i don't cry over such things but one thing i can say i do get touched by those sad scenes in dramas. even those light dramas those that are funny has a dose of those touching scenes. like my girl and goong. i did'nt cry on those scenes but it touched me. i don't like tear jerking dramas because it will just make me sad or feel bad. i just watch those funny ones like my girl, full house and goong.
have you seen silence? i don't think anyone can watch tht one and NOT cry.. :-(

marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by marvelous » Jan 17th, '07, 09:35

ONe thing I noticed about American dramas or films there isn't a whole lot of emotions involved and producers make everything spectacular.. Some stuff are way over done though...

When you watch Kdrama or films you feel it in your heart. You get drawn to it... You get addicted to it.. That's why I think Korean entertainment is so popular.

cutekid

Post by cutekid » Jan 17th, '07, 11:39

Auty wrote: have you seen silence? i don't think anyone can watch tht one and NOT cry.. :-(
yup! i already watched that series some time ago. only because my favorite k-actress is also there, park eun hye. its so sad and very touching. i don't know why i watched it till the end because i hate tear jerking dramas. maybe got hooked because the story is interesting and i like the lead actress :lol didn't cry though just got really touched by the story and the struggles of the characters. her acting there is really great. though she can't speak you can feel her emotions by her tears :cry: and smiles :-)

isn't it too obvious that i like her? with my siggie? :wub: :roll :lol :D :-)

LUNCHBOX

Re: Do we enjoy crying while watching K dramas?

Post by LUNCHBOX » Jan 17th, '07, 12:02

sfbayoppa wrote:Every Korean drama, sad or even light comedies, have those moments.....
yes i agree crying to a kdrama, my favorite kdrama/comedy has got to be MNIKSS when sam soon ah realizes that she tells hyun bin not to leave her because she like him, whaaaa sooo nice. and towards the ending where she thinks hes never coming back.

to all MNIKSS addicts out there anybody agree?

~Saranghae~

Post by ~Saranghae~ » Jan 17th, '07, 14:47

LUNCHBOX wrote:
sfbayoppa wrote:Every Korean drama, sad or even light comedies, have those moments.....
yes i agree crying to a kdrama, my favorite kdrama/comedy has got to be MNIKSS when sam soon ah realizes that she tells hyun bin not to leave her because she like him, whaaaa sooo nice. and towards the ending where she thinks hes never coming back.

I agree with you. I love MNIKSS and was near tears, it was so sweet....but I mostly had tears in the eyes, becouse it was sooo funny :D

If I remember well, than I cried the most time in Goong, Full House and My Girl.....I´m really weak :unsure:

LUNCHBOX

Post by LUNCHBOX » Jan 17th, '07, 14:52

~Saranghae~ wrote:
LUNCHBOX wrote:

I agree with you. I love MNIKSS and was near tears, it was so sweet....but I mostly had tears in the eyes, becouse it was sooo funny :D

If I remember well, than I cried the most time in Goong, Full House and My Girl.....I´m really weak :unsure:
ya i also agree to crying to MY GIRL, really good scenes. but ionno about full house finished it but it was okay, Bi's character is really annoying sometimes. well ill update about goong when im done, im only on episode 5 i hope it gets really good, well how was your goong experience?

hLiwOo

Post by hLiwOo » Jan 17th, '07, 20:34

melica37 wrote:Crying means you have actually been moved by the emotions and story you are watching.
And isn't that what we watch love stories for...to laugh, cry and be moved. Oh ya and to envy and lust after the adoration of beautiful fantasy boyfriends. But that doesn't have to do with crying so much. :roll
Right RIght Right.... i've been so down on New Year's eve... the drama i was watching was "tree of Heaven" the last episode and GUESS WHAT?!?!?!

i was crying and sniffing like a big baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my heart hurts and my mind was going to explode at 3 in the morning!!!!! it was so sad now i wish that i had a special someone looking out for me.... GOD.... just writing about it now i'm gonna start crying seeing the scene again...

Eziya Minamoto

Post by Eziya Minamoto » Jan 24th, '07, 23:37

I don't cry when watching KDramas, but I do get touched by some parts. I don't think I can watch sad dramas anymore...The stories are too unrealistic, and quite hard to relate to (and some also drag like crazy, and incest is popular).

I think the main reason why I enjoyed STH was because it was my first KDrama, before I discovered some of the funnier ones. I've noticed Romantic Comedy dramas tend to get me more misty-eyed than most sad ones.

I do enjoy dramas with bittersweet endings though, not just happy ones.

LuckyCharms

Post by LuckyCharms » Jan 30th, '07, 21:57

I'll admit it I love to cry! I mean it just makes you feel good. RIght? Releases tension or something. That's why I love a horror movie that will keep you curling your toes to the very end, one that will make me JUMP, and have nightmares. I don't know what it is. If something really sad happened to me in real life I couldn't handle it. Let alone something scary!!! I'd be the 1st one dead for sure. But when you watch it it's different.

babyviolet

Post by babyviolet » Jan 30th, '07, 22:04

I'm such a cry baby, I love to cry. That's why I love watching drama just by myself coz I know I'll cry hard. And I enjoy it.