Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Lee Wan will lead the Japanese drama “Magnolia Flower (&

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Post Reply
User avatar
korean_foreva
Posts: 347
Joined: Dec 19th, '05, 19:17
Location: Machester
Contact:

Lee Wan will lead the Japanese drama “Magnolia Flower (&

Post by korean_foreva » Dec 3rd, '06, 20:55

11/29/06 -- Lee Wan will lead the Japanese mellow drama “Magnolia Flower (목련꽃)” produced by Fuji TV. The lead actress is Anne Suzuki (스즈키 안은, 鈴木杏). This drama portrays a love story of a Korean man and a Japanese woman studing in the United States.

The filming is scheduled to begin in March of 2007 in New York. LW’s drama “Tree of Heaven” was broadcasted in last April in Japan and therefore he became very popular there. Anne Suzuki has performed in movies such as “Hana to Alice (하나와 엘리스)” “Blue Fireworks (푸른 불꽃)”, and “Stand Up (스탠드 업)”.




Credits - Soompi.com
Attachments
Lee Wan.jpg
Lee Wan.jpg (22.78 KiB) Viewed 8926 times

pagtitiyaga
Posts: 33
Joined: Feb 19th, '06, 21:05

Post by pagtitiyaga » Dec 3rd, '06, 22:30

Eww he looks like a nerd there lol
personally, i love lee wan with park shin hye :wub: and im disappointed they arent gonna be working together again :cry: well, of course bc shes already cast in goong s :whistling:...but still!! Damn! lol
I'm still gonna check it out tho... heehee! :wub:
Oh ya, I was wondering where lee wan learned how to act..he's soo good...i checked drama wiki, he wasnt in a lot of productions... his first debut was in stairway to heaven (???? or a music video??... i dunno) but he was already soo good there... and he had physical education major... so how did he get so good!!! Was it just a hobby to learn acting???? Man.. I wanna learn more about him but theres not alot of info... Im not korean so i cant understand his offical site :scratch:
Attachments
1_1130_enter_l.jpg
1_1130_enter_l.jpg (29.22 KiB) Viewed 8897 times

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Dec 3rd, '06, 22:34

Great, I hate both actors. :mrgreen:

Always nice to see more dramas about international couples, though. Makes me hopeful that I'll one day see a drama about a Japanese or Korean man or woman with a Westerner. :wub:

User avatar
nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 353
Joined: Dec 8th, '05, 22:33
Location: europe

Post by nadesico » Dec 3rd, '06, 22:57

sounds like good news to me, I look forward to it!

eaachh
Posts: 113
Joined: Jul 8th, '05, 02:28
Location: Bkk, Thailand
Contact:

Post by eaachh » Dec 8th, '06, 09:33

Wow, I won't miss it...for sure.

User avatar
aznbabe
Posts: 32
Joined: Sep 28th, '06, 16:50
Location: +*».europe.

Post by aznbabe » Dec 17th, '06, 12:32

oomg LEE WAN !! great to hear some news about him

User avatar
marvelous
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 145
Joined: Jan 20th, '06, 23:28
Location: PLANET K

Post by marvelous » Dec 18th, '06, 04:58

I think Lee Wan is a bad actor... It was really annoying watching Lee Wan in Tree of Heaven although in the beginning had lots of potential...

User avatar
korean_foreva
Posts: 347
Joined: Dec 19th, '05, 19:17
Location: Machester
Contact:

Post by korean_foreva » Dec 22nd, '06, 17:44

marvelous wrote:I think Lee Wan is a bad actor... It was really annoying watching Lee Wan in Tree of Heaven although in the beginning had lots of potential...
hehe ...i thought he was alrite..is was ok in stairway to heaven ^^

captain-nippon
Posts: 140
Joined: Mar 6th, '04, 10:16

Post by captain-nippon » Dec 23rd, '06, 03:38

Anne Suzuki can speak English REALLY WELL. I think she grew up in the US. I hope Japan and Korea do more of the culture CROSSING in the future. I like to see a Japan Male lead in a Korean drama SOON.

Anything that improve Japan/korea is a must SEE for ME. Let just hope that his drama isn't full of japanese insults like Rondo.

User avatar
PJB
Posts: 184
Joined: Apr 1st, '05, 13:14
Location: Seoul

Post by PJB » Dec 24th, '06, 09:30

Always nice to see more dramas about international couples, though. Makes me hopeful that I'll one day see a drama about a Japanese or Korean man or woman with a Westerner
Well, we've seen "half" of this with dramas like Sweet Spy (get it, half, hehe?) - But I think the problem is, even if they did want that - Finding the right people for the job is hard. I mean, one factor is command of the language, and good looks. And then theres good acting required!

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Dec 24th, '06, 13:08

Yeah, it's difficult. I really appreciate Daniel Henney and Dennis Oh for bringing us an example of a Korean's relationship with someone who is Western in culture and upbringing. Sweet Spy, Kim Sam Soon and Spring Waltz were all interesting because of them (and, in the case of Spring Waltz, was interesting ONLY because of them.)

I always thought that these relationships are even more interesting than watching a Japanese-Korean relationship, because even though Japanese-Korean relations are complicated as well, the cultural differences are greater between Japanese people and Westerners, which could, if done well, result in a very entertaining and cute drama. I know one manga that deals with a Japanese woman and her big gaijin boyfriend, and the manga looked so funny that I've been hoping for such a drama ever since.

I'd also like to see a drama about a Japanese person with a Chinese person. We haven't seen this theme explored a lot, but given the explosive history of these two countries, it could make for a good drama.

I also always think that a Korean drama about a Korean man with a Chinese woman would probably be a hit in other Asian countries (especially in China). :lol

captain-nippon
Posts: 140
Joined: Mar 6th, '04, 10:16

Post by captain-nippon » Dec 25th, '06, 01:45

I really appreciate Daniel Henney and Dennis Oh
you're wrong, these guys have Korea mother in REAL LIFE. They're mixed American/Korean or English/Korean. They do have Korean Blood in them. That's why they're stars in regular korean drama. NO ALL american will ever get the treatment like they do, EVER.

User avatar
eternalstar
Posts: 48
Joined: Sep 22nd, '05, 04:06
Location: Middle of nowhere

Post by eternalstar » Dec 25th, '06, 02:52

I'm actually pretty interested to see how this drama will turn out. Lee Wan isn't the greatest actor, but I think his Japanese speaking skills are pretty good for a foreigner. I don't know why a lot of people don't like Anne Suzuki, but I think she's alright. I guess she's not too popular because she doesn't look like your typical glamour or cutesy Japanese actress. That's probably why I like her, she's different.

I enjoyed watching Tree of Heaven. The reason why I liked it so much was because it was pretty nteresting watching each culture cross language boundaries. I'm a linguistics student with an emphasis on Korean and Japanese languages so it was fun for me.

As for the Western and Korean/Japanese love story thing going on, I doubt that will ever happen, though it is an interesting concept.

I'm half-Korean and I've lived in Korea and Japan before. I was born in Korea and I speak Korean fluently, and I still have difficulty gettin fully accepted there (I'm just greatful that my mom's family fully accepts me). The sole reason why Daniel Henney and Dennis Oh are popular there is because they're hot looking halfies. I've watched all the dramas they've been and honestly their acting skills suck so bad. My Korean cousins told me they can't tell if they're good actors or not because they don't understand english, and they asked me if they were good actors. They were there for eye candy to get the ratings up, and it definitely worked. I will say Daniel is a better actor than Dennis. I also liked how Spring Waltz showing Daniel dealing with the cultural issue of not feeling/being accepted because he's half with his grandfather thing. Cardboard acts better than Dennis...lol. Korea is a very homogenous country and they're just now warming up to half-Koreans, and you can attribute it to the eye candy that Daniel and Dennis provide. Along with Hines Ward being the superbowl MVP. If anything there might be more dramas featuring half-Koreans falling in love with full Koreans. As for Japan, 'm still waiting to see a halfie get a major role. I know people like Becky and Eji Wentz have had small roles, but never seen any in major roles.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing this drama.

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Dec 25th, '06, 12:46

captain-nippon wrote:
I really appreciate Daniel Henney and Dennis Oh
you're wrong, these guys have Korea mother in REAL LIFE. They're mixed American/Korean or English/Korean. They do have Korean Blood in them. That's why they're stars in regular korean drama. NO ALL american will ever get the treatment like they do, EVER.
Duh, I know that very well. That's why I said these two were Western at least in culture and upbringing and why PJB mentioned that we were getting at least 'half' of what I wanted. XD

It's interesting that you seem to think you know more about Korean stars than me. :whistling:


eternal: Becky got a major role this season (Anna-san) and didn't you know Sawajiri Erika was only half-Japanese? Her mother is French with Algerian roots and that girl's a star now after starring as the lead in 1 Litre and most recently in Taiyou no Uta. I think you can see that she's half-Western, too, especially in her body.

Japan also had Kaneshiro Takeshi, who is half-Taiwanese, star in major roles. I'm sure there are more, but that's all I can think of for now. :lol I know Japan is definitely a more likely place for Western actors to be successful than Korea because Japan is more liberal and has been so for decades. Korea is getting there, though. Slowly. There's a movie being made about the love story between a Korean man and a Western woman at the moment, a co-production between Korea and... Australia, I think (don't quote me on this), though I don't think it will be successful because neither lead has mainstream appeal. So yeah, at least it's happening in movies already, but the first Western actor in a drama will for sure be in Japan. There are already Westerners in minor roles such as the English teacher guy in My Boss, My Hero.
Last edited by Néa Vanille on Dec 25th, '06, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eternalstar
Posts: 48
Joined: Sep 22nd, '05, 04:06
Location: Middle of nowhere

Post by eternalstar » Dec 25th, '06, 12:59

No, I didn't know about Becky's new role, but I am happy to hear about it. Thanks for the info. And yes, I knew Sawajiri Erika is only half, but she's not obviously half and so she's generally more accepted. I remebered being in Japan and seeing some half Japanese children playing on the street and older people were pointing and yelling "HALF, HALF, HALF." It's been a while since I've been back to Japan, and hopefully these half Japanese faces in the media indicate a change for the better. ^_^ I'm glad to see them getting into the media more.

And as for nippion-captain's comment, I don't think he was trying to be rude and make a point that he knows more about Korean stars. I just think he was trying to emphasize the fact that you're always only going to get half of what you want and it came off kind of rude sounding. Oh well, that's just my opinion.

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Dec 25th, '06, 13:08

Maybe you'd think so if you didn't know captain-nippon's other posts. He just looooves every opportunity to point out how Japan just rules over Korea. Trust me, not one of the most respected posters on this board. Also, EVER is damn long time to be predicting.

And I think you can see that Sawajiri Erika is half when you look at her body. She doesn't have the same frail, skinny body as most Japanese actresses do, she's a lot 'stockier', for lack of a better word (but in a good way.)

And I think that story you told me about half-Japanese kids in Japan is really scary... :crazy: I would hope that things are different now. I have heard mostly good things lately, like, one of my dad's former co-workers got married to a Japanese girl a couple of years ago and apparenly, their daughter is a star at their pre-school for her good looks. Mixed models are also the most desired in places like Hong Kong, I've heard. But in general I would say, yeah, bring up your mixed children somewhere else. I know very many half-Koreans in Germany and they are all happy and accepted (and the girls get loads of dates.) :lol
Last edited by Néa Vanille on Dec 25th, '06, 14:48, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
snowfairy
Posts: 39
Joined: Mar 5th, '06, 05:31
Location: overtherainbow

Post by snowfairy » Dec 25th, '06, 13:08

Néa Vanille wrote:Yeah, it's difficult. I really appreciate Daniel Henney and Dennis Oh for bringing us an example of a Korean's relationship with someone who is Western in culture and upbringing. Sweet Spy, Kim Sam Soon and Spring Waltz were all interesting because of them (and, in the case of Spring Waltz, was interesting ONLY because of them.:lol
As you probablay know already, there's a famous western actor(German) called Lee Han Woo in the dramas like Stairway to Heaven, Seoul 1945, Lovers in Paris..

I am just wondering how you people in the western countries feel about an European actor is acting and appearing frequently in K-dramas..

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Dec 25th, '06, 13:10

I've heard about him, but I don't watch sappy Korean dramas (as I think Stairway and Lovers in Paris are...), so I've never seen him. :unsure:

Generally, I think the Westerners that do appear in KDramas are a joke. There's basically three types:

1) The Western businessman that's there solely so the male lead can show off his spectacular (well, the script thinks so) English. Because, after all, if he can speak English, he's REALLY wealthy, right? The most common type, seen in numerous dramas and in pretty much every drama where the male lead was supposed to be wealthy and educated.

2) The Western sexy girl that's there to show how much of a playboy the male lead really is, such as that Italian girl Lee Jun Ki made out with in the first episode of My Girl or the joggers at the beginning than Stranger than Paradise. The second most common type in dramas. Because after all, if he can have hot Western chicks, he's REALLY desirable, right? There's also the UN-sexy Western girl that Korean girls can make fun of, as seen in Fantasy Couple or Rude Woman.

3) The Western rowdy or villain as seen in, for example, the beginning of MiSa. More common in movies than in dramas.

Overall, I have to say that I'm much more pleased with the roles Westerners play in Japanese media.

mermaid026
Posts: 50
Joined: Jun 3rd, '07, 23:26

Post by mermaid026 » Jun 7th, '07, 20:10

when is this drama airing?

User avatar
ruisu
Posts: 301
Joined: Apr 5th, '06, 21:47
Location: I'm on your screen, taking up your pixels

Post by ruisu » Jun 7th, '07, 20:39

There are some good movies that mix kuni's...Linda, Linda is about a Korean International Student in Japan...and she joins a band. The movie is set during the Japanese-Korea Culture Exchange festival at a highschool. She's actually Korean, because I saw her in a K-Movie called Barking Dogs Don't Bite (that was really good too).

Swallowtail Butterfly is about a bunch of illegal Chinese (and just about every other kind of) immigrant living in "Yentown." Gotta be one of my favorite movies...there's a lot of English, Japanese, and Chinese spoken it.

There's also a movie called GO (2001), about a zainichi (Japanese-born-Korean), who's struggling with that fact. The zainichi is played by a Japanese though :scratch: actually he's the king of the g-boyz in IWGP.

User avatar
ctfazra
Posts: 58
Joined: Mar 13th, '07, 16:11
Location: Malaysia

Post by ctfazra » Jan 26th, '08, 18:32

pagtitiyaga wrote:Eww he looks like a nerd there lol
personally, i love lee wan with park shin hye :wub: and im disappointed they arent gonna be working together again :cry: well, of course bc shes already cast in goong s :whistling:...but still!! Damn! lol
I'm still gonna check it out tho... heehee! :wub:
Oh ya, I was wondering where lee wan learned how to act..he's soo good...i checked drama wiki, he wasnt in a lot of productions... his first debut was in stairway to heaven (???? or a music video??... i dunno) but he was already soo good there... and he had physical education major... so how did he get so good!!! Was it just a hobby to learn acting???? Man.. I wanna learn more about him but theres not alot of info... Im not korean so i cant understand his offical site :scratch:
me too..his scenes with park shin hye in tree of heaven were so innocent..i think he's jz being careful since she's still underage at that time..i hope they'll be together again..of course with more heart-melt scenes.. :P :P :P

User avatar
Noi
Posts: 132
Joined: May 1st, '07, 03:27
Location: Chechón

Post by Noi » Jan 26th, '08, 18:38

...so, what happened to this in the end?


*has been waiting for the drama since mid 2007*

:mrgreen:

ninjinchan79
Posts: 17
Joined: Oct 11th, '07, 17:21
Location: Japan

Post by ninjinchan79 » Feb 9th, '08, 13:32

Noi wrote:...so, what happened to this in the end?


*has been waiting for the drama since mid 2007*

:mrgreen:
ya..me too!!! :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests