can sumbody teach me Korean pls?

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
iloveKJH

can sumbody teach me Korean pls?

Post by iloveKJH » Feb 8th, '07, 15:12

hi there. im a Filipino living in Europe and currently obsessed wit Kdrama series at the moment..and because of this,,,I REALLY WANT TO LEARN KOREAN LANGUAGE. i love korean songs as well,,so it would be really helpful if i know the language right?

..can somebody teach me some basic phrases like?

hello -
bye -
i'm sorry -
you're really cute -
i miss you -

(yea,,some basic first. :P )

and oh yea,,im just wonderin what the word OPPA and HOONIE means?? ive been usin these words but really dont know the meaning...silly me! :lol

if anyone wants to help me...i'd be forever grateful. thanks a million.

xxxlazixxx

Post by xxxlazixxx » Feb 9th, '07, 03:11

well, im also obessed wit kdramas but im not korean and ilive in NY but from watchin dramas i no how to say hi and im sorry but im not sure if dat how u spell dem

hi- aniasayo
im soory- mianhada

any koreans correct me if im rong

LUNCHBOX

Post by LUNCHBOX » Feb 9th, '07, 04:20

well just visit youtube and search for LETS LEARN KOREAN....really good for beginners. over 50 episodes and duration of each about 8-10 minutes...hope this helps you Ate....much love to my people...mabuhay!

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Feb 9th, '07, 04:39

xxxlazixxx wrote:well, im also obessed wit kdramas but im not korean and ilive in NY but from watchin dramas i no how to say hi and im sorry but im not sure if dat how u spell dem

hi- aniasayo
im soory- mianhada

any koreans correct me if im rong
i'm not korean but, yu've mispelled things...and mispronounced them too i believe...

hi/hello - Annyeonghaseyo
(ahn yong ha sah yoh)

i think "i'm sorry" is more of a biyana (only heard this from full house)....i could be totally wrong tho...korean pronunciation is REALLY hard ~_~

angeizahoy

Post by angeizahoy » Feb 9th, '07, 05:07

as far as i know, hello is indeed "annyeong haseyo".

i think i've heard a couple of different ways to say "i'm sorry" through dramas so that's something someone fluent in Korean will have to enlighten us with...

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Feb 9th, '07, 05:10

Well, Korean is fun but it is complicated in a way that they have many different ways to say a word... but still, I like it a lot, so I can see why you are interested in it as well! :lol

hello - Annyeong-haseyo
bye - Chal ga! (to friends), Annyeong-i-kaseyo (more formal, to someone who is leaving) Annyeong-i-gye-seyo (if you are the one leaving)
i'm sorry - Mianne/Mian/Mianneyo (to friends) Mianhamnida/Choesonghamnida (more formal)
you're really cute - Noe neun neomu kwiyeopta
i miss you - Po-go-ship-ta/Po-go-ship-eoyo

Oppa is how a girl calls a guy older than her.
As for hoonie, is it noonim? :-)

P/S : If you observe well enough, you'll realise that the 'm' is often pronounced as 'b' and 'n' is often pronounced as 'd'. For example, mianne is actually bianne when spoken and so on.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Feb 9th, '07, 13:41

I think she means Unni when she says Hoonie ... which is what a girl calls a slightly older girl.

I always thought Annyeong-haseyo meant "how are you" and yobseyo was hello like when they answer the phone.

bah....korean is so hard to pick up :(

nonnahs

Post by nonnahs » Feb 9th, '07, 14:10

also:

unni- girl to older girl
oppa- girl to older boy
noona- boy to older girl
hyung- boy to older boy

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Feb 9th, '07, 14:17

Don't be lazy.

Start with learning the Korean alphabet. Though what people have told you is all correct, you will have a horrible accent if you are not familiar with the script and rely only on the awkward romanization (Korean is a language that, unlike Japanese, can hardly be accurately romanized).

When you're learned hangeul, download the Let's Speak Korean TV program or watch it on YouTube. It's really good and will teach you lots of easy Korean within a few days.

I taught myself Korean with said TV program, a Korean textbook series called 'Integrated Korean' and with lots of help from my Korean boyfriend. It's not easy, but fun.

mohito

Post by mohito » Feb 9th, '07, 16:15

above & "KoreanMania's" answers are all correct however, let me put some simple way of speaking between friends

1."Ann-yeong"
means same as the word "ciao", so it used as either "goodbye" or "hello" or both...
if you want to make it more formal add "-haseyo" or "-keseyo" at the end like "Ann-yeong ha-se-yo"

2. "Yoh-bo-se-yo"
mostly used when you answered(called) the phone (same meaning as hello)

3. "Me-anne"
means sorry, you can add "- hada", "-hae" "- hae-yo", "- hap-ni-da", "- ha ni ka", "- ha-suh"...at the end of the word, depends on situations
"Meanne -hada" & "Meanne -hae" should be fine between friends, even "meanne" itself is okay

4. bo-go-sip-da
means 'miss u', 'want to see you', you can also change the last pronouce such as
"bogosip -uh" "bogosip -uh yo" "bogosip -euh ni ka" "bogosip -seup ni da" ...etc...depends on the situation but still same meaning

5. "Ja-Ki"
means/used like 'honey' you can say "Ja Ki Yah"

6. Chin-Goo is friend

hope it helps
Last edited by mohito on Feb 9th, '07, 16:25, edited 2 times in total.

LazyYoshi

Post by LazyYoshi » Feb 9th, '07, 16:20

I am Korean and I strongly agree with Néa Vanille. If you want to learn the language start with the basics and learn the alphabet. I am not too good at it myself since my primary language is English but I can at least read words and understand most things spoken to me.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Feb 9th, '07, 16:22

Yoboseyo is used either to get someone's attention or to answer the phone. You can also say it when you are talking to a friend but you're not sure whether he is listening or not.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Feb 9th, '07, 16:43

There's a response for yoboseyo that sounds like "godarisayo" isn't there?

Ah, I wonder if that's "Anyonghaseyo"?

iloveKJH

Post by iloveKJH » Feb 9th, '07, 17:12

wow...you guys :lol thanks very much. i mean i didnt thought that a lot of you will read or even answer my request..but really...i appreciate evryone's thoughts. :P

....yea,,i really should start learning the language in my own way...teehee :D

whoah...im right that i should ask somebody about the OPPA word,,cos i thought that means Honey or Love or sumthin but heck,,i was totally wrong!!! how embarassing!

but..i wanna grab this opportunity to ask one last question: how do you say MY LOVE then?!

you guys are the best! cheers for the answers. :salut:

iloveKJH

Post by iloveKJH » Feb 9th, '07, 17:16

mohito wrote:above & "KoreanMania's" answers are all correct however, let me put some simple way of speaking between friends

1."Ann-yeong"
means same as the word "ciao", so it used as either "goodbye" or "hello" or both...
if you want to make it more formal add "-haseyo" or "-keseyo" at the end like "Ann-yeong ha-se-yo"

2. "Yoh-bo-se-yo"

3. "Me-anne"
means sorry, you can add "- hada", "-hae" "- hae-yo", "- hap-ni-da", "- ha ni ka", "- ha-suh"...at the end of the word, depends on situations
"Meanne -hada" & "Meanne -hae" should be fine between friends, even "meanne" itself is okay

4. bo-go-sip-da
means 'miss u', 'want to see you', you can also change the last pronouce such as
"bogosip -uh" "bogosip -uh yo" "bogosip -euh ni ka" "bogosip -seup ni da" ...etc...depends on the situation but still same meaning

5. "Ja-Ki"

6. Chin-Goo is friend

hope it helps
wow! never thought a single word can have a lot of meanings..but,,yea,,it really helps. cheers! :thumright:

reyoo

Post by reyoo » Feb 9th, '07, 18:23

iloveKJH wrote:
mohito wrote:above & "KoreanMania's" answers are all correct however, let me put some simple way of speaking between friends

1."Ann-yeong"

2. "Yoh-bo-se-yo"

3. "Me-anne"

4. bo-go-sip-da

5. "Ja-Ki"

6. Chin-Goo is friend

hope it helps
wow! never thought a single word can have a lot of meanings..but,,yea,,it really helps. cheers! :thumright:
it's the same meaning but it depends to whom do you speak:
formal, informal, polite, between friends, between strangers, between lovers
you choose correct word according to situation

KoreanMania

Post by KoreanMania » Feb 9th, '07, 23:14

iloveKJH wrote:but..i wanna grab this opportunity to ask one last question: how do you say MY LOVE then?!
Nae Sa-rang (내 사랑) :-)

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Feb 9th, '07, 23:42

Yea..totally agree with Néa Vanille..learn the basics first and work your way up because if people just tell you phrases to say then you wouldn't really learn anything..you'd just be memorizing that phrase and you might even be saying it wrong because romanizing (sp?) some Korean words is difficult to explain online without the use of like sounds.

Kind of on topic...can someone explain to me the difference between ㅔ and ㅐ because they sound similar to me and I don't know when you use one and when you use the other

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Feb 11th, '07, 13:50

I would love to learn Korean, but in order to succeed, I would need a conversation partner. Any pretty Korean girls in Melbourne wanna help me out? :wink:

Phoo

Post by Phoo » Feb 11th, '07, 19:06

OvertheRainbow wrote:Kind of on topic...can someone explain to me the difference between ㅔ and ㅐ because they sound similar to me and I don't know when you use one and when you use the other
In the olden times — that is, not too many decades ago —, ㅔ and ㅐ were separate phonemes. Their difference lay in the height of the root of the tongue, whereby ㅔ had a lower articulation (closer to ㅣ) and ㅐ a higher one (closer to ㅏ, or English /a/ in "hat"). Preservation of this distinction was, at least in South Korea, a pride of the Seoul area, whereas people of lands south merged them probably in the beginning of the 20th century. However, nowadays almost everyone either pronounces them both as the same sound or does not mind if you do, and if you are not particularly interested in phonology, I should advise you just to use the pronunciation you have heard Koreans use. As for the orthography, you obviously have to learn by heart when to use which letter if you do merge these sounds, but at least that is much easier than learning English orthography.

Actually, sometimes it wouldn't even help you to know the difference, since it is already so often lost in speech. It used to be so that 'mine' and 'yours' were 내것 and 네것 respectively, but as the sound change came about and more and more people didn't make any distinction, 'yours' changed to 니가 instead. So if you knew, for instance, only the traditional pair of words, you would be having a hard time to understand when it means 'mine' and when 'yours' — even though probably the only meaning you would come across in colloquial language of the dramas would be 'mine', so all your pondering would come down to nothing.

That is, language changes. Just as you don't have to keep track of the vowel length anymore, the difference between ㅔ and ㅐ doesn't matter, either. Unfortunately, as the script does not record vowel length (which some not-so-young speakers still care about), it is after all I who is having the hard time, being a linguist and having to know those for historical research :p

xxxlazixxx

Post by xxxlazixxx » Feb 13th, '07, 03:21

IF UR LOOKIN FOR FOG STREET U CAN FIND IT ON YOUTUBE BUT DA USER WHO UPLOADED PUT DA OTHER PARTS AS PRIVATE SO U GOTTA BE DA PERSON'S FRIEND TO WATCH DA OTHER PARTS. THERE R 7 PARTS I THINK OR 6

iloveKJH

Post by iloveKJH » Feb 14th, '07, 18:11

xxxlazixxx wrote:IF UR LOOKIN FOR FOG STREET U CAN FIND IT ON YOUTUBE BUT DA USER WHO UPLOADED PUT DA OTHER PARTS AS PRIVATE SO U GOTTA BE DA PERSON'S FRIEND TO WATCH DA OTHER PARTS. THERE R 7 PARTS I THINK OR 6
yes, i already asked him/her to be my friend, hopefully he/she will accept me or else..iim gonna go crazy! :blink

iloveKJH

Post by iloveKJH » Feb 14th, '07, 18:12

KoreanMania wrote:
iloveKJH wrote:but..i wanna grab this opportunity to ask one last question: how do you say MY LOVE then?!
Nae Sa-rang (내 사랑) :-)
thanks KoreanMania! :-)

nuclear

Post by nuclear » Feb 14th, '07, 19:28

http://www.freedict.com/onldict/jap.html

ist a dictonary but its englisch to japanese ...no korean sorry (Õ_o)

lanimoomoo

Korean textbooks

Post by lanimoomoo » Feb 14th, '07, 20:32

The University of Hawaii Press publishes a textbook series called Integrated Korean. The first 4 volumes have accompanying audio files that you can listen to (realaudio) or download (mp3). You can read the reviews and buy the books new or used at Amazon.com then go to www.uhpress.hawaii.edu and search for Integrated Korean to get the audio files. I have the books but I haven't cracked them open yet. Just spend too much time watching the shows!

himenajima

Post by himenajima » Feb 14th, '07, 21:11

you should try the rosetta stone program Ive been using it and i love it ive gotten pretty far and i can understand some when people talk now. its a pretty quick prog too.

hLiwOo

Post by hLiwOo » Feb 27th, '07, 20:50

which words are i love you? SARANG HAE YO....

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Feb 28th, '07, 01:02

hLiwOo wrote:which words are i love you? SARANG HAE YO....
Uhh...the whole thing....... :blink ...your question is confusing

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Feb 28th, '07, 01:03

himenajima wrote:you should try the rosetta stone program Ive been using it and i love it ive gotten pretty far and i can understand some when people talk now. its a pretty quick prog too.
Really? I have it and I tried it and like memorize the word for car and plane but it felt very blah to me

iloveKJH

Post by iloveKJH » Mar 1st, '07, 11:33

himenajima wrote:you should try the rosetta stone program Ive been using it and i love it ive gotten pretty far and i can understand some when people talk now. its a pretty quick prog too.
maybe i should try it too. :whistling:

bluebyul34

Post by bluebyul34 » Mar 5th, '07, 15:34

"Sarang hae yo" = I love you. You can just say "sarang hae" (adding -yo makes it formal)

Sarang = love; Korean doesnt really utilize pronouns so you can't really split up the phrase, but literally I would say it means "I love" (I is implied, and You is implied as well since you direct the phrase at someone)

not sure if that helped.

narushinyak

XD

Post by narushinyak » Mar 8th, '07, 19:54

like everyone here says.. sooo many different ways of saying similar things in korean.

Sarang = love / hae = think of it as "do" / yo = no meaning.. just making it formal
Basically, Sarang Hae Yo = do love except we can just assume who he/she is talking to.

I love you = nah-neun nuh-reul SARANG HAE YO, where na-neun = I / nuh-reul = you.

Its not very good idea to find out what each word means from korean to english as you can see. Either you take the phrase (just accept it) and just use it or actually learn some basics :)

closet_queen

Post by closet_queen » Mar 19th, '07, 10:12

hi.
i kinda need some help in my thesis.
i asked my friend to translate my survey into korean (from english) but he wasn't sure if everything is correct because he forgot some of the korean words already.
can someone pls check it and note if something is wrong?!?
PM me! i badly need someone's help :)

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Mar 20th, '07, 07:59

wei... this thread is cooL... nice job guys! :thumleft:

Vivagirl

Post by Vivagirl » Mar 20th, '07, 10:59

let me add what i have learnt from korean dramas lol... :lol

Gomapsseumnida/kamsahamnida/komapta/komawa - thank you
formal/formal/informal/informal

boh - what
neh/deh - yes (i forgot which is the correct one)
aniyo - no
jeoneun - I/My
saram/saramdeul - people
namja - man
chingu - friend
namja chingu - boyfriend

anae - wife
chu'a - like/fine/ok
krom - noted/ok

hana - one
dul - two
set - three
net - four
daseot - five
yeoseot - six
ilgop - seven
yeodeolp - eight
ahop - nine
yeol - ten

i have forgotton a lot more.. correct me if im wrong

PJB

Post by PJB » Mar 21st, '07, 09:13

I really advise you learn how to read 한국어 and then you can pronounce better (quite possibly the main reason why people get confused when they practice their Korean with actual Koreans, having to find out they can't pronounce it right aferall). Sure, some of the vowels and consonants are hard to the ear, sounding quite similar to a non-native speaker - But even getting some of them right is on the right step. Remember, words are often understand from the context of a conversation and the build of a sentence. So even if you mispronounce a few letters in a word, it can still be understand from the phrase. The problem with many Koreans is they'll never correct you, and just act baffled if they don't understand you. Watch out for that ;)

closet_queen

Post by closet_queen » Mar 21st, '07, 11:37

hi. can somebody translate this in korean characters for me.
"english-speaking people"
thanks!

iloveKJH

Post by iloveKJH » Mar 21st, '07, 12:16

Vivagirl wrote:let me add what i have learnt from korean dramas lol... :lol

Gomapsseumnida/kamsahamnida/komapta/komawa - thank you
formal/formal/informal/informal

boh - what
neh/deh - yes (i forgot which is the correct one)
aniyo - no
jeoneun - I/My
saram/saramdeul - people
namja - man
chingu - friend
namja chingu - boyfriend

anae - wife
chu'a - like/fine/ok
krom - noted/ok

hana - one
dul - two
set - three
net - four
daseot - five
yeoseot - six
ilgop - seven
yeodeolp - eight
ahop - nine
yeol - ten

i have forgotton a lot more.. correct me if im wrong
wow!!! i really learned a lot from you! Gamsahamnida!

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Mar 21st, '07, 21:19

Vivagirl wrote:hana - one
dul - two
set - three
net - four
daseot - five
yeoseot - six
ilgop - seven
yeodeolp - eight
ahop - nine
yeol - ten
Though that's all correct, I'd like to add that this is only ONE of the two numeric systems used in Korea. These are the 'pure Korean' numbers and the other set in use are the Sino-Korean numbers. They are not interchangeable. For example, in Korean, hours are counted with pure Korean numbers, while minutes are counted with Sino-Korean numbers.

So yes, in Korean, you actually have to learn which set of numbers to use for what. It's even more proof that Korean just can't be learned by listing some random vocabulary.

katrina_097

Post by katrina_097 » Apr 12th, '07, 09:49

What do u mean by kawaii??

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Apr 12th, '07, 18:47

PJB wrote:I really advise you learn how to read 한국어 and then you can pronounce better (quite possibly the main reason why people get confused when they practice their Korean with actual Koreans, having to find out they can't pronounce it right aferall). Sure, some of the vowels and consonants are hard to the ear, sounding quite similar to a non-native speaker - But even getting some of them right is on the right step. Remember, words are often understand from the context of a conversation and the build of a sentence. So even if you mispronounce a few letters in a word, it can still be understand from the phrase. The problem with many Koreans is they'll never correct you, and just act baffled if they don't understand you. Watch out for that ;)
Exactly! I mean people online can romanize the Korean words for you but sometimes some sounds exists in Korean that doesn't in english...once you can actually read the written language then it makes it so much easier to pronounce instead of having someone post stuff online for you because you can interpret how it sounds your own way and then you would be saying it wrong...I actually have a Korean-English dictionary and omg it is soooo much harder to try and pronounce the words through the way they romanized it than actually reading the Korean letters myself

I know you use Sino-Korean numbers for like names of the month and dates and money and thats all I've learned so far

OvertheRainbow

Post by OvertheRainbow » Apr 12th, '07, 18:53

closet_queen wrote:hi. can somebody translate this in korean characters for me.
"english-speaking people"
thanks!
For some reason, the Japanese word for "english" keeps coming into my head so I can't remember the word for english in Korean but I can say "American": Miguk Saram

Dekinakatta

Post by Dekinakatta » Apr 12th, '07, 20:49

OvertheRainbow wrote:For some reason, the Japanese word for "english" keeps coming into my head so I can't remember the word for english in Korean but I can say "American": Miguk Saram
English language is 영어. :-)
English people are 영국인. Maybe this helps? :unsure:

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Apr 12th, '07, 21:33

katrina_097 wrote:What do u mean by kawaii??
kawaii is japanese
'kawaii' meaning cute or pretty

katrina_097

Post by katrina_097 » Apr 13th, '07, 02:29

christaluvsdrama wrote:
katrina_097 wrote:What do u mean by kawaii??
kawaii is japanese
'kawaii' meaning cute or pretty

THANK YOU... ^-^ :D

nayti05

Post by nayti05 » Apr 29th, '07, 15:04

can someone please tell me where i can go to learn or write korean?

hikaru56

Post by hikaru56 » Apr 29th, '07, 22:47

nayti05 wrote:can someone please tell me where i can go to learn or write korean?
Yeah can someone tell me too. Does the Korean language have an alphabet or is it like the kanji in Japanese? Oh and any good links to learning the alphabet if there is one?

mittens

Post by mittens » May 17th, '07, 12:48

I dont know but try searching in you tube.

It has an alpahabet and im also learning korean language right noe and I've got to say that it is kind of difficult for me but nevertheless, the language is really interesting..

JJ1106

Post by JJ1106 » May 18th, '07, 16:49

the best thing to do is to learn how to write & read.
well, that's what i learnt in my basic class anw.
i'm proud to say that i can read & write sentences now...but at the same time,
am sad to say that i dun understand most of what is written/read...hehe...

ritapitalita

Post by ritapitalita » May 18th, '07, 17:07

annyeong haseyo everyone!!! I too would love to learn korean...since i love kdramas & movies sooo much...hheheh...i think korean is a neat language, yet something difficult to learn....i thought about trying out the rosetta stone program, but wasn't sure if it was worth it....i guess i'll try it sometime....maybe when i'm not hooked on the dramas...heheh...well nice thread...annyeong!!!

retsnom_Adedekutsu

Post by retsnom_Adedekutsu » May 29th, '07, 06:17

Hi... I want to speak Korean also... But I know some words...

Pe-yah ~~Your Majesty (to the king)
Ma-ma ~~ Your Majesty (to the prince??)
Cha-na ~~ Your Majesty (to the vice king??)
Amamama ~~ Royal Mother/Father

I just heard it in JuMong...

saranghanda

Post by saranghanda » Jun 2nd, '07, 12:09

hi all,

here is a site which could help you master the basics of korean language in a jiffy for FREE.
http://parksguide.blogspot.com
directions were written in a very relaxed manner making the complicated korean (hangeul) grammar fun to learn.
it also contains korean alphabets.
once you are familiar with the alphabets then you can just check out the yahoo korean-english online dictionary.

why don't you give it a shot..and perhaps we can all practice the 'basics' here.
geurom, annyeonghi gyaesaeyo, dasi tto bwayo - (ok, goodbye and see you again!)

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Jun 2nd, '07, 16:39

aja aja everyone!!!!

Koyangi_ga_yaongyaong

Post by Koyangi_ga_yaongyaong » Jan 13th, '08, 22:17

LOL wow. It seems to me more ppl who don't fully speak Korean is trying to teach Korean on this topic. As a primary Korean speaker, I'm actually quite proud of how many ppl are actually trying to learn it. It's a tough language to learn, so you have to be very fully committed to learning to understand a sentence.

Most of the korean words shown here are correct; however I disagree on the English spelling of it (i also speak fluent english, btw). Unlike Japanese, where most of their words can be correctly written and read in English, Koreans have so many tied in sounds with the words that if you learn it only by reading, you will most likely NOT be speaking it correctly at all. So if your interested in learning Korean, it would be very wise to have an audio of what some things sound like. Watching dramas and listening to songs help, but it would be best if you found a program that goes step by step on the exact pronunciations of the sounds. I've heard from my friends who're trying to learn Korean that it is by far one of the more harder languages to learn.

Also, a little note, Koreans sometimes use Hanja, which is the use of Chinese characters. The first thing you should do is learn how to identify Korean characters from Chinese characters, else you'll be confused beyond anyone's capacity :-)

Koyangi_ga_yaongyaong

Post by Koyangi_ga_yaongyaong » Jan 13th, '08, 22:21

ritapitalita wrote:annyeong haseyo everyone!!! I too would love to learn korean...since i love kdramas & movies sooo much...hheheh...i think korean is a neat language, yet something difficult to learn....i thought about trying out the rosetta stone program, but wasn't sure if it was worth it....i guess i'll try it sometime....maybe when i'm not hooked on the dramas...heheh...well nice thread...annyeong!!!

Rosetta Stone is DEFINITELY something you can look at to learn a language. I'm studying French with it, and unlike other language programs, it really does help! It makes you think in the language rather then having to translate in your brain to your own language. :lol

Koyangi_ga_yaongyaong

Post by Koyangi_ga_yaongyaong » Jan 13th, '08, 22:32

hikaru56 wrote:
nayti05 wrote:can someone please tell me where i can go to learn or write korean?
Yeah can someone tell me too. Does the Korean language have an alphabet or is it like the kanji in Japanese? Oh and any good links to learning the alphabet if there is one?
I seem to be writing alot on this topic...... Oh well! Korean Pride!

NO, Korean is not like Japanese writing atall! While the Japanse have the Kanji that are already with a sound attached to them, we have to use some adding skills. You can look at it almost like English. To prounce the word "dog" you have to have a D a O and a G.

It's basically similar to Korean. Let's use "Ahn-nyoung" for example:

In korean, there are a set of characters that are "vowels" and another set that are "consonants" (they are not like the english vowels and consonants, but for lack of better term, we'll use these words)

The "ahn" sound needs 2 vowel and a consonant put together: 안

The "nyoung" sound needs another 2 vowels and a consonant: 녕

Put those two characters together, you have: 안녕

There are 14 said vowels and 10 consonants, and the elementary sounds are done by putting one vowel with one consonant. The actual words are used by putting a correct vowel underneath the vowel and consonant match.

LIke I said, Korean is tough. But guud luck to all of you learning! I'd be happy to help anyone, so if you want further knoweldge on this complex lang. PM me!

아자! 아자! 식식하게!!

usurpname

Post by usurpname » Jan 14th, '08, 03:31

I take language classes with native Korean speakers now, but before that, I started with http://www.learn-korean-now.com and it covers A LOT of essential stuff as far as grammar and it has TONS of audio files. When I started taking lessons with native speakers, my teachers were really surprised at how much I already knew. My only complaint about the site is that the explanation it gives on how to pronounceㅐ and ㅔ are not really correct and the audio files they have aren't always crystal clear, but you can use http://world.kbs.co.kr/learn_korean/les ... ng_p02.htm to get your double-vowel pronunciation correct.

Hai

Post by Hai » Jan 17th, '08, 04:12

I love this language! Yes many who do not really speak Korean try to teach it but I think that does not matter as long as Korean is popularized! I just know a little and I hope I can work in Korea one day so that I can learn more. For now if I have business trip to Korea I will bring along this basic Korean list:
http://www.tipskey.com/article/common_e ... in_korean/