Suggestion for Direct Download thread officially from here.

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
jovi75

Suggestion for Direct Download thread officially from here.

Post by jovi75 » Sep 14th, '07, 09:51

I think it's time for me to voice out my suggestion to improve and attract more forummers participate in here.As I am a big fan of Korean Dramas,I think we should serious consider to create an official thread from d-addicts itself for a DIRECT DOWNLOAD thread.I think the idea of torrent existing now is good but it would be better to have another option for a direct download option.I don't really like torrent because we have to wait days or weeks for each episodes to complete as it depends on seeders.Direct download is good for people that has high connection of broadband speed like me where I can complete a 700mb episode of a drama in about 15-20 mins instead of torrent where it took about 3-6 days or more per episode depending on seeders.I hope to get my support from all of you here on suggestion to create a thread for direct download on korean dramas.We have two options......torrent sharing and direct download.Thanks! :salut: :wub: :-)

Saragorn
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Saragorn » Sep 14th, '07, 10:09

I don't see why. If you want direct downloads, there are plenty of those over at Soompi. It's way to messy to me. The links die so fast, there's always someone who can't use whichever host the file was uploaded to... Meh.

groink

Post by groink » Sep 14th, '07, 10:17

Saragorn wrote:I don't see why. If you want direct downloads, there are plenty of those over at Soompi. It's way to messy to me. The links die so fast, there's always someone who can't use whichever host the file was uploaded to... Meh.
Yes. And remember that D-Addicts is not just a drama community, but it is also a TORRENT community. Any attempt to defer people to other sources WILL draw people away from the torrents. Don't hurt the torrent downloading community by trying to move people onto alternatives like direct downloading. Other sites like Soompi, JDorama.com, AsianFanatics, and many other sites already have direct download sources - but they can because they themselves don't run a tracker like D-Addicts.

As much as most people think that direct downloads is the solution, it really isn't. We had direct downloading via FTP for DECADES. The ideas behind peer-to-peer are that:

1. No one file is centrally located on a server - making the server a target for copyright owners.

2. It is all about SHARING. Direct downloading is 100-percent leeching, with ZERO percent given back. At least with p2p, the leecher is giving back via seeding.

And as for the time issue for downloading, there are many people who complain that direct downloading is slower than p2p. At many ISPs, they throttle port 80 and 443, while the 5-digit port ranges in p2p are totally open.

--- groink

jovi75

Thanks for replies

Post by jovi75 » Sep 14th, '07, 11:33

Thanks for the replies...........anyway relax it's just a suggestion.Just my opinion having 2 options for the community.Anyway it's ok for the explanation and I fully understand it.Peace!!! :salut: Every moderators work hard for this forum and deserved to be credited.........I respected it...........just that some dramas have no seeders so some of the community here might not be able to download it.......don't worry about me but I sincere care about this forum having 2 options but if it runs out of it's agenda......just remain the original idea will do.............once again no hard feelings.Peace!!! :wub:
Sarang Nge yo.......... :-)

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 14th, '07, 13:30

I have already mentioned it before jovi, but clubbox really is THE solution in regards to downloading k-dramas. With torrents you can spend months on your knees begging for seeders and still be stuck at 97%.

Seriously.

Clubbox.

Do it.

:)

non-telepathic wanderer

Post by non-telepathic wanderer » Sep 14th, '07, 14:00

The problem with direct download is that for such popular files there will be like 1000+ downloaders which will put so much strain on the server and will really slow the system. While with torrent this load will be distributed among the seeders.

Download with torrent when it is hot (many seeders), otherwise have patience.

or you can look for other download sites, or buy or rent the dvds.

jovi75

Continue

Post by jovi75 » Sep 14th, '07, 15:49

Rent or buy the Dvds is totally out of the question.............this forum is not needed if everyone buy the dvds or rent the dramas.......everyone wants it free .........torrent is good if it's hot I agree but not anybody will catch up new dramas.........some might prefer normal direct download because their line speed is good......my case my line speed is good so a direct download option suits me but I understand that those who has poor line connection will definately choose torrent..........both are good options in each way..........kobe23 seems prefer direct download izzit? Club box is a direct download software.........however I think at the moment idols unlimited gives the best direct download option up to date..........there are pros and cons between torrent and direct download...then again in my case I prefer direct download..... :wub: :-)

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Sep 15th, '07, 13:22

I'm pretty sure clubbox is P2P but I haven't seen it documented anywhere and no one seems to be able to confirm it. The advantange of clubbox is that you can find almost every single k-drama in the last few years and the disadvantage is that you can only download one file at a time at a maximum of 50kbs (without coupon).

Torrent is the best protocol in general but it just doesn't work for k-dramas. In order for BT to work effectively you NEED a lot of seeds. As you've already experienced, you won't find many seeds for older and less popular dramas for obvious reasons as no one is willing keep 20 x 700mb files on their HDD of something they don't like.

Direct downloads does work well sometimes only if you have people working diligently to re-up broken files but otherwise it's not a great option.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Sep 15th, '07, 13:53

@jovi75
I suggest that you not generalize & just speak for yourself. A lot of people do buy the original DVD. The YESASIA banner should have been a dead giveaway.

groink has pretty much addressed all the issues you raised.

Its good you think idols unlimited gives the best DDL & you should support them.

Downloading stuff from the interweb is not for everyone. If you're updated and happen to DL all the latest dramas, movies, etc. then good for you. If you happen to enter the game late and missed out on a lot of dramas, then too bad, but life goes on.

If you really want to help the community then upload or seed seed seed seed and seed some more. Since you have a pretty fat line then that shouldn't be a problem....

jovi75

Conclusion

Post by jovi75 » Sep 15th, '07, 15:43

I suggest we end this topic.I already find my way however the best is using torrent and direct download both at once to speed us things...........certain dramas available in torrents and certain drama available in direct download............anyway I still support torrent but just in the mean time direct download is much a prefer option personally for me........however I gotta agree.......as for English movies...........torrent is the best especially from a guy name aXXo but not good enough for korean dramas.................as for korean dramas,it may take some time because watching korean dramas is just a minority while English movies are the majority.........D-addicts is one of the best website for korean drama lovers because it's a healthy community with everyone appreciate one another.........just look at the fansubs........how hard they put their effort in making those subtitles and I will always thanks them........I think this is not a big issue and it's ok with me to remain what it is planned......Thanks for all the healthy replies I got from all of you..........Conclusion.......we maintain the original plan..............said and done! :-)

groink

Post by groink » Sep 15th, '07, 20:33

One thing you MUST give to direct downloading is that they're good for archiving. I say this because I don't want people to get the idea out of this topic that only Korean drama leeches are not seeding. They do in fact seed just as much as any other genre.

But I've always said on D-Addicts since 2003 that torrents are not forever. P2P was not designed for archiving. P2P was designed for mass distribution, in a quick amount of time, and with the least amount of bandwidth at any given node. Soon after D-Addicts adapted to BT, people started complaining that a drama uploaded six months ago was no longer seeding. This has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with people not sharing or the P2P protocol. This has EVERYTHING to do with nature, quite frankly. Again, torrents do expire after a few months.

Why they expire? Because a vast majority of people who download a given torrent will do one of the following:

1. Delete after watching. Can't seed now.
2. Will re-rip to DVD. Can't seed now.
3. Will re-rip to an even smaller file format. Can't seed now.
4. Will re-rip so that he can play in his iPod. Can't seed now.

Technically, you can only seed a torrent if you have 100-percent of the binary files, with the hashes still intact. The ONLY people who can continue to seed are those who hang onto the files for a lot longer in its exact state. Obviously, these people probably can afford the hard disk space to store the gigabytes of files and seed them.

In summary, torrents that expire naturally is not a bad thing. It has nothing to do with greedy leechers. Once downloaded, very rarely will the downloaded files ever survive on the leecher's end. If you want to create an archive of shows via direct downloading for the sake of preservation, then that's one's right. BUT remember that P2P was invented not only to make sharing fair, but it was also designed to keep a low profile, whereas direct downloading will always give the content a high profile. And most uploaders like myself do not like our content to be uploaded to any site other than D-Addicts. So always remember to respect the wishes of the uploader when you think of placing a given file onto a direct download site.

--- groink

jovi75

Close this topic

Post by jovi75 » Sep 16th, '07, 04:30

Said and done...........no more replies please! :-)