My Sassy Girl - Hollywood Remake

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
fizzlex3mh

My Sassy Girl - Hollywood Remake

Post by fizzlex3mh » Apr 2nd, '08, 22:39

Discussion of a Hollywood version of the 2001 hit movie My Sassy Girl had been going on for a while - and now the trailer and poster have finally been released!

Watch it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=_-P0kJsyCOg

Credit: popseoul.

I never really understood what was so amazing about My Sassy Girl, but seeing the trailer for the remake made me appreciate the Korean version a lot more. I'm going to have to agree with PopSeoul on this one. Jesse Bradford's character does not have the hilarious, goofy charm that Cha Tae Hyun's had, and Elisha Cuthbert's character isn't sassy - instead, mentally ill. Wouldn't they have been better off calling it a remake of The Two Faces of My Girlfriend? Other than the characters, they seem to have remained pretty faithful to the original.

I'll probably watch it anyway, just to groan and sigh at the remade scenes and nitpick about how the movie fails in comparison. (I think, btw, they're going to make a complete joke out of my favorite scene - the "red-line" game on the metro.) What do you guys think?

angeizahoy

Post by angeizahoy » Apr 2nd, '08, 23:17

i was so disappointed when i saw that trailer, wow... i don't know, maybe i'm just comparing it to the the korean version instead of looking at it independently? but i don't think this American remake can match up to the Korean one, no wayy...

Kage Musha

Post by Kage Musha » Apr 3rd, '08, 08:50

Looks very...Hollywood....
It's going to be just another standard Hollywood production I guess, shame.

NJunNuity

Post by NJunNuity » Apr 3rd, '08, 16:58

Ahhhh...when I heard a while back that they were going to do a remake, I was hoping it wouldn't go through.

I wasn't impressed with the trailer either; it was kind of boring. By the way, anyone know if it's going to just be a limited release? I get the feeling it will be.

Gai-Jin

Post by Gai-Jin » Apr 3rd, '08, 17:38

the only korean movie i most like is My Sassy Girl.. watching the preview of this hollywood remake makes me sick.. i think the real movie is worse that the preview.. it only makes the original korean version looks bad..

all the hollywood remake from original asian movie looks bad..

apostolai

Post by apostolai » Apr 18th, '08, 17:56

im quite irritated. x:( i started liking korean films & dramas because of this my sassy girl. it is so disappointing to know that it has an american version. its just gonna make the original look bad :(

onoturtle
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by onoturtle » Apr 18th, '08, 20:58

Seeing a lot of remakes lately... I hear Oldboy and Lady Vengeance have American remakes planned?

Any how, I love My Sassy Girl, so any differences will probably upset me. So it's highly likely I'll hate the Am. version. But I'll watch it anyway... maybe they'll prove me wrong. Sometimes I enjoy the remake over the original.

If you really are disgusted by this remake then DON'T watch it. Vote with your wallet.
Last edited by onoturtle on Apr 18th, '08, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

nysophia

Post by nysophia » Apr 18th, '08, 21:06

this is SOOO stupid. I'm really disgusted. can't hollywood be a little more original than this? copying hallyu? geez

ryc3

Post by ryc3 » Apr 21st, '08, 10:21

I'm not digging this remake. :\

dima
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dima » May 3rd, '08, 16:52

trailer looks rather dumb... but then most trailers from that do. especially now that there was a writers' strike.

perhaps we ought to wait for the actual release before make up our minds!

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » May 3rd, '08, 17:05

wow. never really was a HUGE fan of the original myself, but I thought it was a cute movie. And yes I agree with you on the red line scene.. from the trailer, it didn't look as funny :(

sitaslide

Post by sitaslide » May 4th, '08, 12:54

hmm...wondering when will it be aired.. well i think it really gonna be in HOLLYWOOD version!!
hope it wouldn't lessen the impressions from the original story... love because just love... feeling wanna care about somebody...

(^_^)

LadySin

Post by LadySin » Jul 29th, '08, 20:48

I think the sense of humor and style in acting of Koreans in general is uniquely theirs that any attempt to copy it would come across as mediocre. But that's just me. Maybe the Hollywood remake was tailored to fit the American audience, IDK. But that's kind of missing the whole point AND the essence of the film, right?
Last edited by LadySin on Aug 5th, '08, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Aug 4th, '08, 15:57

I'm not against remakes especially if they are done well, but the trailer for this My Sassy Girl is :crazy: blehh. No one can copy Cha Tae-hyun's goofy faces. He didn't need to say anything to be funny. Everything shows up in his face. What makes My Sassy Girl (korean version) unique are also the wacky antics that Jun Ji-hyun does without making it seem stupid. Well ok they are a bit too much on the extreme side, but I laughed hysterically while watching the movie. True about the comment above that Koreans do have their own quirks and silliness in their own :mrgreen: and those quirks are what makes me fall in :wub: with Korean dramas.

They probably should have chosen other unknown actors who fits the parts because there doesn't seem to be any chemistry with the actors in the trailer.

My Sassy Girl is the first Korean movie (or anything Korean) I've watched in my life, and instantly fell in love with all the romantic comedy scenes.

On a side note, who has watched Unstoppable Marriage the movie version. This one also has its silliness and LMAO factor. Highly recommended.

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 4th, '08, 20:58

It looks like the American MSG is being released straight to DVD sometime this month.

From what I read, they heavily rewrote the main male lead. He is a corporate heir (i.e. "arrogant or boring prince character.") Meaning, he has a certain outlook on life, which is incompatible with The Girl, and The Girl changes him, as he changes her. Screwball romance setup, plus movie-in-movie mashups.

However, the original My Sassy Girl movie isn't really structured like that. This is a vignette of whimsical moments that adds up to a very funny and tender 1st person account of his time with The Girl. And the movie itself is also about a director and his muse, the way Ji Hyun is often shot tight in closeups and behind the shoulder shots, or how she's often the only person in the actual frame even though Cha Tae-hyun may be with her in the scene. Pure director love here. She is literally depicted as "THE Girl", i.e. the girl boys want to date and other girls want to be.

Sugaface

Post by Sugaface » Aug 7th, '08, 23:43

After seeing the preview, I don't think I can watch it or even give it a chance. The chosen actors are not the same caliber as the Korean actors and I feel that is going to make it hard to been even close to the original. Some of the stuff that happens seems way different to me than what I remember of the Korean movie. I hope that more "remakes" of this "quality" don't happen to often!

I love My Sassy Girl!

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Aug 8th, '08, 00:01

There is no hope that Hollywood can do a remake of anything Asian. They chose the wrong one to do with 'My Sassy girl' It was not the easiest film to make in the first place with the odd sense of humour. The Korean one was just right and had the light touch.

Also they tried to do a Japanese one and called it 'The Lake House' It was a disaster if you ever watched the original 'IL MARE'.

Much too heavyhanded in the H/Wood efford.

I loved the original.

Peg

vhh

Post by vhh » Aug 8th, '08, 00:30

I saw it. A sort of decent Americanized remake. The Korean version was simply better because Jeon Ji Hyun really came off as this crazy alcoholic girl harassing this nice guy. Elisha Cuthbert comes off more quirky and haggard; her character is still a drunk in the beginning.

The character, Charlie Bellow is a piece of 1950's America, born in the good-old fashioned American family, so he's no Gyeon-woo. Even the company he wants to work for sounds like it's a 1950's corporation - the Tiller King Company - or something like that. Not to mention the guy is supposed to be Mr. American but looks Jewish. He's likable, but this background was WTF to me.

The movie left me with a kind of "awww" but "meh" feeling. Jeon Ji Hyun and her character is the kind of girl a guy would take a beating from and keep going back for more.

cutekid

Post by cutekid » Aug 8th, '08, 00:58

the trailer does look it sucks but will watch the movie here in the philippines. its now showing in theaters everywhere here.

yeah, watching the trailer looks like make the hollywood remake suck.

maybe the comic antics made on the original is very cultural to us asians when remade to make it look americanized made it look awkward and not funny at all.

will just watch the movie and compare it objectively...

bn_23_Jordan

Post by bn_23_Jordan » Sep 1st, '08, 15:20

cutekid wrote:

the trailer does look it sucks but will watch the movie here in the philippines. its now showing in theaters everywhere here.

yeah, watching the trailer looks like make the hollywood remake suck.

maybe the comic antics made on the original is very cultural to us asians when remade to make it look americanized made it look awkward and not funny at all.

will just watch the movie and compare it objectively...

i have the movie.. and it totally sucks !!!!!

it only took them 20 mins for them to cover the korean first hour...
so they pretty much got everything cover...and the rest of the movie is useless funny scenes....
you feel no connection with the characters...

avoid it at all cost...... or in my case... watch it and see how poor hollywood movies are.....
they have originality for script writing.... so they copy other great Asian works....

:crazy:

aziatik

Post by aziatik » Sep 1st, '08, 15:33

That just didn't have the right feel to me, so forced...

polarmi

Post by polarmi » Sep 1st, '08, 15:33

the korean veersion is way much better than hollywood version.. :thumbdown: sorry hollywood

hellokuromi

Post by hellokuromi » Sep 1st, '08, 19:12

This is really going to suck....There are some things about Korean culture in the movie that would seem hard to translate into an American movie I also really don't like who they choose for the actors!

br4nd0n

Post by br4nd0n » Sep 17th, '08, 21:14

Seems like it could be ok.

The actors are well known fyi.

cutekid

Post by cutekid » Sep 20th, '08, 00:12

watched the movie a long time ago!

yeah, i was right! it really sucks!

sorry! it really sucks!

just a waste of money... not as funny as the korean version...

Daxiuyi

Post by Daxiuyi » Sep 26th, '08, 10:56

IMO this movie is hamstrung by the fact that the majority of would-be viewers (i.e. fans of Korean culture like ourselves) will have seen the Korean original.

If you put your feelings for the original to one side, it's actually quite good. Often remakes depart significantly from the original; this one sticks to it quite closely. I think it transplants the action from Korea to New York very well; the colours were very beautiful and it actually made me want to go see New York. The acting too is quite good as well - Elisha Cuthbert is very good (but different) as the Girl, while the guy too handles his increased role well.

No, it doesn't have the same quirky spirit of the Korean original (and let's be honest, few Hollywood are capable of possessing such spirit), so stay away if you're looking for that. But in its own right, it's a very sweet romance, and definitely worth a look.

konaxis

Post by konaxis » Sep 28th, '08, 18:01

I love that movie so much!

Seana

Post by Seana » Oct 19th, '08, 20:04

LOL
Yeah I like the Korean version a whole lot better. :)

StarlitRiot

Post by StarlitRiot » Nov 12th, '08, 06:57

Bleh. I hate how the US is ripping off so many good asian movies lately because all of our movies are crap..then they take good movies and turn them into american crap. I'll give it a try when it comes out, but i dont have high expectations in the least.

dima
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dima » Nov 15th, '08, 19:15

Come on guys (riot at least), take it easy, some ripoffs are actually quite alright, I did for instance really like the remake infernal affairs, although I kept having this nagging feelnig that I knew what would happen next all the movie and after it was over my mate told me why :crazy:

Have anyone seen Sassy remake yet? Tell us what you think of it! Please? :wub:

megan8788

Post by megan8788 » Dec 15th, '10, 10:31

Well i have not seen it yet. Is it worth seeing?

Constantine

Post by Constantine » Aug 9th, '11, 07:37

megan8788 wrote:Well i have not seen it yet. Is it worth seeing?
NO!

tuku99

Was there a USA remake of My Sassy Girl?

Post by tuku99 » Jan 18th, '14, 02:56

Umm, that video is not there?

Was there ever a remake of My Sassy Girl?

:fear: :fear: :fear:

diediebydie

Post by diediebydie » Oct 31st, '14, 11:35

Looks very...Hollywood....
It's going to be just another standard Hollywood production I guess, shame.

diediebydie

Post by diediebydie » Oct 31st, '14, 11:37

here are some things about Korean culture in the movie that would seem hard to translate into an American movie I also really don't like who they choose for the actors!