New to K-dramas and need some help

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
maniakmedic

New to K-dramas and need some help

Post by maniakmedic » Aug 24th, '08, 14:34

Hi all. As it says in the topic title I'm new to K-dramas (very new) and I'm in need of some help. For the next year and a half or so I'll be doing nothing but learning Korean and I figure if I'm going to keep from going crazy I need to get a good list of K-dramas to watch. So far I've watched most of Air City (love it) and Great Inheritance (decent) but I'm having a hard time finding more that really interest me. I've got Rondo (I know, it's only partially in Korean, but I'm also learning Japanese) and I really enjoyed that.

Basically, I'm a sucker for police procedurals, both serious and funny. I also love a good comedy in the vein of Yama Onna Kabe Onna and At Home Dad (as a guide for those who also watch J-dramas). Romantic comedies are also good as long as there isn't a lot of angst. I hate sad endings so no depressing ones, please. I like action and even fantasy (as long as it's not too cheesy).

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Kimy07

Post by Kimy07 » Aug 29th, '08, 09:38

Hello ^^, here is my list ^^

* MUST WATCH / Short and Funny Dramas ( not in order ) :
_ My Girl ( i strongly recommend this drama.. u can watch it on youtube i think ) Comedy + love
_ Full House ( with rain/bi the singer and Song Hye Kyo ) Comedy + love
_ My name is Kim Sam Soon ( with Hyun Bin ) Comedy + love
_ Fantasy Couple ( i think this is still here, so download it now ^^ ) Comedy + love
_ Goong ( this one is great, dont watch Goong S because its not good ) Comedy + love
_ Coffee Prince ( with Goon yu and Yoon Eun-Hye ) Comedy + love
The Dramas Above are seriously a MUST. Watch them ALL.

* COOL dramas * After watching all the ones above ( not in order ):
_ Get Karl ! Oh Soo Jung .
_ Hello my teacher.
_ Que Sera Sera.
_ Exhibition of Firework.
_ The Vineyard Man
_ Witch Yoo Hee
_ 18 vs 29
_ Bad Family
_ Last Scandal
_ The time of the Wolf and the Dog ( a bit more serious than the ones above ) Lee junki.

* MUST WATCH * Long/Serious/Passionate love ( In order ) :
_ Im sorry , i love you ( this is a must, watch it.. seriously )
_ Stairways to Heaven ( Kwon Sang-woo )
_ What happened in Bali
_ Lovers in Paris

* Korean Historical Dramas * ( in order )
_ Dae Jang Gum <-extremely famous. 55eps i think.
_ Yi san . about 77 eps... hehe
_ Jumong
_ Hwang Jin Yi.

And yes, i watched all of them, so i know :D
i Hope i helped you ~~

ps: i think ill be using this list to show it to everyone haha

xk

Post by xk » Sep 12th, '08, 04:21

The drama "The Vineyard Man" is very good. I have the DVD-9 version of it, used to upload the whole thing (40+GB) here for over a year. If you want it, let me know. I can re-seed them.

Oh and since someone mentioned Yi-San, you should also try "King and I". This is good.

Oh and i know you like comedies but try "Bad Love". Bad Love is a romance type of drama but has a good ending. This drama's got some AWESOME video quality. Even a 640 x 352 version is incredibly good. The x.264 version is even better. It's about as good as reference material Blu-Ray movies so you get the idea how good this thing is.... Yes this thing beats Japanese HD dramas. Actually, many Korean dramas have very good PQ, much better blacks and contrast and most importantly, sharpness.

Oh wait.... you should also try "Hello God", or called "Hello Mr. God!". This is very good drama, based on an american novel I believe.. PQ is pretty damn good too. it's about 1000 times better than Great Inheritance you have watched. That thing has crappy PQ... it made me sick and throw up.... yuck.

NORI AHMAD

Post by NORI AHMAD » Sep 17th, '08, 17:31

I need some assistance to be links Raw serial Single Dad in Love On file send Pleees all ep

teemu8

Post by teemu8 » Sep 17th, '08, 19:03

the snow queen
fantasy couple
jumong
thank you
:salut:

janettd

Post by janettd » Sep 17th, '08, 20:27

Did any of you fully read manicmedic post,,,,,,,,,,,no angst (depressive) or sad endings---- and you say _ Im sorry , i love you ( this is a must, watch it.. seriously )
_ Stairways to Heaven ( Kwon Sang-woo )
_ What happened in Bali
_Snow queen

yes sure if you want her to cry for a week after.though you have listed some of my favorits.Here are a few more

H.I.T
.is a must since you love police dramas H.I.T stands for homicide investigtion team and its really good

Lovers
Maffia with a lot of internal and external problems. mafffiosos right hand have never loved any one and meets a plastic surgeon who saves his life.a lot more happens BUT the two main characters cemistry is so good.....they are actually going to be married in real life

Green Rose
even if at times it feels like someone twists your heart around it has a good ending and its really on my toplist.True love he poor she CEOs daughter.he framed for attempted murder, murder and arson.escapes from prison, goes to China and then for finding the real purp and get revenge and get his girl back

Japanes Dramas.....

Kurosagi.
Yamapi plays a fraudster that only goes after other fraudsters and get money back from them and tries to also put them behind bars since the law cant touch most of them and he is also out to get revernge for his dead family.

Unfais and Unfair SP
Police drama, serial killer

Remote
Police who is a shutin (never leaves his basement) and his new assistant who has to do all the legwork. he uses satelite to keep track of her and mobile to comunicate. this is a good one on the verge to comedy

Enjoy
Janett

MizTsukuura

Post by MizTsukuura » Sep 18th, '08, 04:25

You should try these doramas :
1. Autum in My Heart.
2. Full House.
3. My Girl.
4. Exhibition of Fireworks.
5. I'm Sorry I Love You.
6. Staiway To Heaven.
7. What Happened in Bali.
8. Hwang Jin Yi.
9. Dae Jang Gum.
10. Fantasy Couple.
11. 18 vs 29.
12. Dal Ja's Spring.
13. Witch Yoo Hee.
14. Autumn Shower.
15. Coffee Prince.
16. Bad Love.

Hope it helps..... :salut:

whatever0024

Post by whatever0024 » Sep 18th, '08, 05:04

MUST watch:

1. Delightful Girl Chun-Hyang
2. Soulmate (severely underrated)
3. Fantasy Couple

Other recommendations:

1. Coffee Prince
2. Mixed-Up Investigative Agency
3. Who are You?

mekan

Post by mekan » Sep 18th, '08, 05:43

My TOP 5 suggestions:

1- Goong (hit series of the time and my very first K-drama after which I came k-drama addict as well ^^ )

2- Coffee Prince (One of the most professionally made dramas I think, everything is just in right place)

3- Three dads one mom (this one is REALLYfunny...I'm downloading episode 3 now)

4- Vineyard Man (at least the only K-drama from my download list that had a FULL HAPPY ENDING ^_^)
IMHO: Don't go for DVD torrent versions...I think they don't have many seeders anymore :(

5- Only You (Oh, another one with happy ending and lots of yummy food cooking ^_^)

roller

Post by roller » Sep 18th, '08, 19:27

I'm pretty much with everyone on this.. But I don't really recommend Coffee Prince to beginners. It starts off pretty good but slows down by the end of the series. But I think this is one of those drama's where you either really like it or you really don't.

My personal best picks are Full House and My Girl.

mekan

Post by mekan » Sep 19th, '08, 09:13

roller wrote:I'm pretty much with everyone on this.. But I don't really recommend Coffee Prince to beginners. It starts off pretty good but slows down by the end of the series. But I think this is one of those drama's where you either really like it or you really don't.

My personal best picks are Full House and My Girl.
yeah agree, not everyone likes it. But it has a very cool aura. Don't know, I love this k-drama a lot :) Maybe maniakmedic can watch it not in top 5 list but in top 10 list :) at least Yoon Eun-Hye's acting for this drama got her Best Actress of the Year Award ;)

Unfortunately I can't say anything about Full House and My Girl because by the time I decided to dl them they were already licensed T_T.