A rather curious question.

Anhyong haseyo. Post Korean related stuff here.
Manatsu
Fansubber
Fansubber

A rather curious question.

Post by Manatsu » Sep 22nd, '10, 17:43

So, I've been watching Dong Yi (right, who hasn't) and I noticed, yet again, those green rings given or Dong Yi's case, bought by the King as a gift for his beloved one. I got curious and googled around for a little bit. Unfortunately, I didn't find much information about it. I presume those green rings are jade rings, the meaning behind it however, I don't know. Would anyone be kind enough to share with me their information about those jade rings (?) and their meaning? I first saw those green rings in Baker King and now again in Dong Yi. I'd appreciate any kind of information and of course a confirmation about whether or not those are in fact jade rings.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 22nd, '10, 18:07

Jade is a semi-precious stone valued in Far East for its beauty and supposedly one interesting feature. It could indicate the poison.

Jade rings were gifts to the beloved ones.
According to the International Colored Gemstone Association, jade's traditional use in jewelry comes from the fact that it represents love, eternity, peace and harmony thanks to its unbreakable nature. Its connection to love also makes it popular in wedding rings. Today, jade is becoming more popular in rings thanks to the fact that it is said to be closer to the heart than a diamond, which represents money and wealth.
(after: http://www.ehow.com/about_6470812_jade- ... olism.html)

Manatsu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Manatsu » Sep 22nd, '10, 18:17

Thank you, kind soul. I'm thinking about buying myself a jade ring. I'm simply amazed by their beauty and meaning. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of fake ones, especially on eBay. They don't seem to be THAT expensive, though. Oh well... Learned something new about the Asian culture.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Sep 22nd, '10, 18:21

Those are made from glass, be careful!
The best solution is to buy at jewelry store. Or with someone who can differentiate the stones. If I was around I would help.
Try to read about the features of jade (the streaks, the gloss) and maybe you will differ the fake one from the original stone.

But you're right, they are beautiful, but at the beginning a little uncomfortable^^

Manatsu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Manatsu » Sep 22nd, '10, 18:42

I'm not sure our jewelery store here has the jade rings I'm looking for. I'd love to buy jade rings that are shaped like this:

But I didn't come across any on eBay yet. If anyone knows a good site, I'd appreciate.

binary0018

Post by binary0018 » Oct 23rd, '10, 15:55

Do u live near a Chinatown or Koreatown? Coz such rings can be easily found at any jewellery shops there. Better still, will u be visting Asia anytime soon? You dun necessarily have to limit yourself to Korea. Jade jewellery is easily found in other places with predominantly large Oriental/Chinese communities. China, Hongkong, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand etc. Incidentally Myanmar is a major source of high quality jade!!

If u're looking strictly to purchase via Internet, I suggest running a search on HongKong websites. Most will ship to customers overseas.

U can also check out this Singaporean accessories shop:
http://www.madamebutterfly.com.sg/Natural-Jade.aspx

Their full range of items not shown online. Perhaps u can inquire with them. Attach a pix of what you want.

HTH!!!

Rusti

Post by Rusti » Mar 9th, '13, 02:05

Are they always worn as a set? I've only seen them worn in pairs.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 24th, '13, 02:13

Remember that wearing two such Jade rings is most uncomfortable. they are so much thicker than a normal gold ring and it feels a little sore to wear them ar first. I settled for a necklace which my husband brought back from HK. I love it and it always feels so cool on the skin. I like the apple green colour but there are many colours of jade.