Beware - PeerGuardian Default Lists cover D-Addicts Tracker

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
d0diro

Beware - PeerGuardian Default Lists cover D-Addicts Tracker

Post by d0diro » Aug 19th, '05, 12:40

Short story, I wondered why BitComet said it cannot connect to the d-addicts tracker and it annoyed me for a while, however DHT always kicked in so I didn't notice it untill lately.

I was wondering if there were any bans on the tracker side, but as it didn't threw an error message and couldn't connect I digged in some more, and then I noticed that always when BitComet tried connecting to the tracker PeerGuardian popped up a new block named "Value Server", as I had bluetack blocklists and more I delete them all again and just added the default lists that come with PeerGuardian provided by blocklist.org!

I dunno why the tracker landed on the blocklists, probably because some anti-p2p organization also used machines from the same hoster.

However, if you encounter similar connection problems to the d-addicts tracker and you run PeerGuardian, don't wonder and exclude the tracker from the blocklists and it'll work fine again, just right-click the block entry in the PeerGuardian where the IP 217.172.47.136 is listed and allow it permanently.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 19th, '05, 13:53

Yes, its quite annoying, I have no idea why we landed on that list. There's only 2 thing thats run on that server, the d-addicts tracker and the jem tracker.

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Aug 24th, '05, 02:03

Thank you d0diro :notworthy:
I never even thought to check peerguardian :doh:

Lists as ValueSERVER :unsure:

spicyboy

Peer Guardian

Post by spicyboy » Mar 1st, '06, 13:38

Do you all use this program? I'm currently using it and my torrents are giving me crappy speeds.

Any experts knows how to unblock those sites that d-addict torrent uses?

Erliana2

Post by Erliana2 » Mar 1st, '06, 14:48

can't help you there...why don't you try bitcomet it seems to work prety well with me

currently hosting for direct downloads- 1 litre of tears hardsubbed (complete)
http://www.dramarific.com/1_litre_of_tears_main.html

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Mar 1st, '06, 15:22

Peer Guardian does block d-addicts tracker,

1. Peer Guardian by default seems to block all d-addicts's addresses so if you use a BT client that has peer guardian plugin make sure to allow d-addict's tracker server through (217.172.47.150)

if you have peer guardian open and have BT open when it tries to connect to d-addicts the IP will show up in PG and you can right click and change it to allow connections to d-addicts..

spicyboy

Post by spicyboy » Mar 1st, '06, 18:45

It seems that PG is blocking more ips other den 217.172.47.150. Do i disable them also?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 1st, '06, 18:54

Just did a little studying up on PG. I don't think you need to bother with it unless you are dl'ing popular movie and music titles that are still being advertised by their respective "owners". This should not be the case for anything on D-Addicts unless you live in Japan!!

Oh, and i just noticed you are in Singapore... your country allows direct monitoring of internet traffic by U.S. companies, as does Malaysia and Thailand, so you can't hide anything anyway... assuming they want to enforce their copyrights in Singapore... They seem to be dedicating 99% of their resources to dealing with P2P at U.S. universities, so you have little to worry about.

spicyboy

Post by spicyboy » Mar 1st, '06, 19:40

Wow, thanks for the wonderful info.

tdkyo

Post by tdkyo » Mar 10th, '06, 01:16

I've known PeerGuardian for many years and I will tell you this: Uninstall the crap. There is no guarentee that the IP ranges are legit, and there is a possibility of media organizations putting in harmless IPs. The program also takes too much memory.

I highly recommend throwing the program out.

canon05

Post by canon05 » Aug 13th, '07, 19:13

Wondering if it is necessary to install Peer Guardian?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 13th, '07, 23:43

i do not feel it's necessary or helpful.

PG uses a list of ip's that supposedly belong to companies and government agencies. but it's naive to think that they are not aware of PG and finding ways around it.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Aug 14th, '07, 20:03

Now I know why people are having problem with files that I am seeding. You see I live in Los Angeles, California. I seed most of files from a server located in a hosting facility in downtown LA. I know there are some Hollywood firms hosting their servers in the same facility. So I guess PG is blocking my seeding server. Why I seed from there? Well they give me unlimited bandwidth usage. Great for seeding.

BTW, I only seed Jdramas and Kdramas. So I a, not too worry about MPAA with what I seed.