Warning: Bittorrent Clients May Delete Your File(s)!!

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
st_heaven

Warning: Bittorrent Clients May Delete Your File(s)!!

Post by st_heaven » Sep 8th, '05, 06:23

i just realised that after you clicked the "download never" in the "options" for the batch file, BitTornado deletes the file(avi, rmvb.. etc)...
I tested it once, on a 10.8% completed file.
*sigh*

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 10th, '05, 04:32

st_heaven: sorry, but i had to split your topic and create a new one for this. i have not seen or heard of this problem before it happened to me, and i think there should be a thread for it.

though i have some sympathy for you, your experience PALES in comparison to mine. there was a FORTY GIG batch file that i wanted to get. my harddrive would've probably killed me in my sleep if i tried to dl all of it at once, so i decided to split it into four ten-gig downloads. (i had apprx 25gigs of free space).

when the torrent window opened, i clicked on 'details', and changed the first 10gigs (estimated) to 'download first'. the rest, i set the rest of the torrent to 'download never'. after SEVEN DAYS of constant downloading, it finally reached 100% (of the first 10gigs).

i went into the folder and all the files were there and working. at that point, i should have turned off the torrent, burned the files, erased the files, and restarted the torrent (for the 2nd 10gigs). INSTEAD, i thought i'd be clever about it.

my theory was this: i would change the first 10gigs to 'download never', then change the 2nd 10gigs to 'download first'. when i 'finish allocation', my torrent would be dl'ing and ul'ing the 2nd 10gigs, and i would be free to burn the first 10gigs w/o wasting any time, right? WRONG.

IMPORTANT: when i clicked on details, and changed the files to 'download never', bittornado ERASED THOSE FILES FROM MY FOLDER. ALL 10 GIGS. poof. gone. vanished. into thin air.

i tried changing it back to 'download first' or 'download normally'. i tried stopping and re-starting the torrent. i looked for an un-do. i checked the recycle bin. i attempted a 'system restore'. NOTHING.

what really upset me was that it didn't give me any type of warning, nor did it move the files to the recycle bin.

IN BITTORNADO, IF YOU CHANGE THE FILES TO 'DOWNLOAD NEVER', IT WILL ERASE THOSE FILES FROM YOUR COMPUTER W/O WARNING.

hopefully, posting my mistake will help others avoid repeating it.

sofee

Post by sofee » Sep 10th, '05, 04:53

Same here. Tornado deletes the file slowly, not all at once. For instance, a >50% completed file which after a few hours of "download never" command, became 10%. To avoid such heartache, use the command "download later" and the others "dl first" or "dl normally".

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Sep 10th, '05, 05:04

yes, that is normal. If you select "download never" for a file the client deletes the file on exit. That is the intended behaviour of this feature. (Remember, you told the client not to download it!) To prevent that you have to copy the file to another folder. I suggest to be very careful using that option... or better not to use it at all.
:|

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 15th, '05, 09:10

sofee wrote:Tornado deletes the file slowly, not all at once.
really? it was instantaneous for me. i tested it twice.

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Sep 15th, '05, 09:31

I do the same with Azureus, fortunately that doesn't delete the temp files.

Grapz

Warning: BitComet May Delete Your File(s)!!

Post by Grapz » Mar 27th, '06, 02:25

So today, i was downloading the dvd version of Shen diao xia lu, episodes 10-14. I accidently pressed Remove task and All files. However, i only finished watching 3 episodes. So i was still missing 2 episodes. I checked my recyclin bin and its not there. Any 1 know if there is a way i can retrieve those files back?

groink

Re: BitComet Help - Deleted files

Post by groink » Mar 27th, '06, 02:39

Grapz wrote:So today, i was downloading the dvd version of Shen diao xia lu, episodes 10-14. I accidently pressed Remove task and All files. However, i only finished watching 3 episodes. So i was still missing 2 episodes. I checked my recyclin bin and its not there. Any 1 know if there is a way i can retrieve those files back?
No you cannot recover the files. BitComet does not move the files to the trashcan. Instead, it purges the files off the disk. You can do various things like using file recovery software, but it is more likely that the porition of the disk the files sat in have already been overwritten by something else - especially if you're right now BT'ing other files.

--- groink

azndgn26

Post by azndgn26 » Mar 27th, '06, 03:34

u should always be careful with clients, I use that function a lot to remove files I dun want anymore so next time just be more cautious about what you're doin

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 27th, '06, 05:53

With Azureus you can configure if you want to delete your files immediately or just moved to the recycle bin.
:)