Resizing a file / Reduce AVI File Size

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
Nao

Resizing a file / Reduce AVI File Size

Post by Nao » Jan 2nd, '06, 21:19

I was wondering what program can I use to resize a raw file? ^^

godmode

Post by godmode » Jan 2nd, '06, 21:31

use virtualdub (http://www.virtualdub.org)

open the file, go to Video ->Filter -> Add ->Resize
and pick the dimensions

Nao

Post by Nao » Jan 2nd, '06, 22:53

Can I use this program to change the MB size to this too?

godmode

Post by godmode » Jan 2nd, '06, 23:05

yes, but MB will also change depending on the compression/codec you use.
under the same Video menu there is a Compression thing.

bangkok_devious

Post by bangkok_devious » Jan 4th, '06, 05:20

I know this tutorial is really about adding soft-subs-----but it shows you how to resize the video too.

http://koreandramas.bishsite.com/topic_541.html

I found it really helpful---she even made it with pictures :-)

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Reduce AVI File Size

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 10th, '06, 13:21

hobz wrote:which is the best and fastest program to do so? is there a way to specify a fixed size?
Just load the file into VirtualDub, set the bitrate in the video codec so that you get a 350MB file and re-encode. Best is to leave the audio as it is (i.e. use Direct Stream copy mode for audio).

See http://www.videohelp.com/convert and http://www.doom9.org/guides.htm for detailed tutorial on this.

alina

Post by alina » Feb 10th, '06, 18:42

I would lower the audiostream to 96~128kb/s. You're sacrificing a lot by reducing 700 to 350mb.
The mbs you've saved with lowering the audiostream can be used for the videoquality, if you know what I mean.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 11th, '06, 23:09

You cannot evaluate video quality just by resolution or framerate. You have to avaluate by using filesize and bitrate.

Encoding tools measure (video) quality of avi files in bits per pixel. where pixel = width*height*number of frames and bits = filesize(in bytes)*8.

Good values are between 0.2 and 0.3 (check the doom9 website or forum for details)
Acceptable/watchable values are probably between 0.15 and 0.2 ... Anything less is to be regarded as "eye cancer".

GSpot v2.5 lists this value as "Qf" (frame quality).

For audio I'd recommend 96-128kbps MP3 for low quality and 128-192kbps MP3 for high quality files. If you use the AAC codec smaller bitrates are ok. When using AC3, especially multi-channel audio, you need higher bitrates (i.e. about twice the bitrate).

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 12th, '06, 09:54

hobz wrote:is AAC or MP3 a better audio encoding?
  • MP3 is a quite old standard. It was "invented" in the early 1990s and is part of the MPEG1 standard family. Quality is still good at medium bitrates (96-128kbps).
  • AAC is a fairly new audio compression standard. It belongs to the MPEG4 standard family. It compresses a little better than MP3 but not very much. You probably want to try bitrates in the 64-128kbps range. Its advantage is that AAC supports also multi-channel audio (e.g. CH3.1, CH5.1, CH6.1, ...).
  • AAC cannot be muxed into an AVI container. But the MKV container supports AAC streams.

mugglies

How do you convert a 700 mb file to 350

Post by mugglies » Mar 7th, '06, 23:49

i have this 700 mb but i want to make it smaller to 350 mb.
can i do this using virtual dub with xvid?

sadeness

resize video

Post by sadeness » Mar 11th, '06, 14:05

Hello,

I would like to resize the Goong videos as they are too big. Half the size would be good.

Could anyone tell me how to do it???

Lowest

Post by Lowest » Mar 11th, '06, 14:19

Q5. How do I convert or re-encode AVI ...
ANSWER:
There are many good guides on the internet which describe how to convert or re-encode various types of media. Use google and search for "guides" or "tutorials", and include the type of media you are converting to and from.

The following sites contain numerous, step-by-step guides (often with pictures and the needed tools):

www.videohelp.com
www.doom9.org

:thumright:

sadeness

Post by sadeness » Mar 11th, '06, 15:04

thanks for the links.
:-)
I will try them.

linny

Post by linny » Mar 13th, '06, 20:26

I've gone through both doom9.org and videohelp.com for the past two hours, and I'm still confused about how to reduce the AVI file size. I'm really sorry to be a bother, but I'm hoping someone can help me on this issue.

When hardsubbing, I usually go to Compression -> DivX 5.2.1 and configure the bitrate to get the filesize I want, but I've noticed the quality of the video decreases significantly...

For most Korean dramas, the HQ comes out and then a day or so later, a MQ version is released. These MQs have the same resolution as the HQ and no real noticeable drop in quality when I enlarge the file to watch in full screen. (When I tried to compress a 700MB file to 350MB using the method I use to hardsub, the quality is significantly lower, especially when I change the file resolution from its original resolution to full screen.) Is there a specific tutorial on how that kind of compression without quality loss is achieved?

I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks so much. ^_^;;

vonbitz

Post by vonbitz » Mar 19th, '06, 07:45

um...can i use this on avi file as well????

linny: im also confused with doom9.org and videohelp.com ......can some1 help us!!!

thx alot!

vietunit

Post by vietunit » Mar 19th, '06, 16:00

change it into the formatt u want and

use KGB archiver, its a crazy compressor.

400mb - down something really small.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gixo » May 17th, '06, 12:04

How can I reduce the size of a dat-file? do I have to convert it first to avi or rmvb (never succeded in converting before but well, there'll always be the first time) and then use virtualdub or another programm?

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » May 17th, '06, 12:17

gixo wrote:How can I reduce the size of a dat-file? do I have to convert it first to avi or rmvb (never succeded in converting before but well, there'll always be the first time) and then use virtualdub or another programm?
A .dat file is a .mpg file in a RIFF container. You can extract the .mpg file with vcdgear or you can just rename it to .mpg and treat it like a .mpg file.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gixo » May 17th, '06, 13:28

MoerkJ wrote:
gixo wrote:How can I reduce the size of a dat-file? do I have to convert it first to avi or rmvb (never succeded in converting before but well, there'll always be the first time) and then use virtualdub or another programm?
A .dat file is a .mpg file in a RIFF container. You can extract the .mpg file with vcdgear or you can just rename it to .mpg and treat it like a .mpg file.
I just tried to rename it but I failed. when I try to rename it I just got *.mpeg.dat instead of *.dat. Do I have to do sth at options?

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » May 17th, '06, 15:45

gixo wrote:I just tried to rename it but I failed. when I try to rename it I just got *.mpeg.dat instead of *.dat. Do I have to do sth at options?
Don't just rename the dat file to mpeg. Change it back to the original name of the file.

Like MoerkJ said, use VCDGear (search for it on google) to extract the video from the dat file. The program will convert it for you and if you're not sure, just look at the screenshot below:

[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/ ... ar_gui.jpg[/img]

Check to make sure that the "Extraction/Convertion" is set to "dat -> mpeg" before you start the conversion. After that, all you really have to do is click the "load" button, search for the dat file, and find a place to store the newly created mpg file. Then, click the "start" button and let the program do the rest.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gixo » May 17th, '06, 23:35

@yt_toshi

thanks it worked. Would you mind to tell me now how to convert mpeg to rmvb? I saw some threads which tells you how to convert rmvb into avi etc. but not how to convert sth into rm or rmvb.
I want to use rmvb 'cause I realized that the quality of rmvb-files are pretty nice and that their size are also pretty small.
I dl virtualdub but don't know how to use it to convert mpeg to rmvb. Or are avi and rmvb about the same quality when I reduce the original file?
Last edited by gixo on May 19th, '06, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

jasmin

I wanna resize vedio file but I can't?? Help please!!!!!!!

Post by jasmin » May 19th, '06, 14:19

Hi all :-(
I wanna resize my AVI file from 700 to 350 MB.
Please teach me!!! I have some problem that I download to install a Virtualdud program already. However I can't open my AVI file so I can't resize it...
Program told that "Couldn't locate decompressor for format XVID. Virtualdud requires a video for window (VFWX compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those use by windows media player, are not suitable"

Thank u in advance for someone who is kindness :wub:

ZenMystic

Re: I wanna resize vedio file but I can't?? Help please!!!!!

Post by ZenMystic » May 19th, '06, 14:43

jasmin wrote:Hi all :-(
I wanna resize my AVI file from 700 to 350 MB.
Please teach me!!! I have some problem that I download to install a Virtualdud program already. However I can't open my AVI file so I can't resize it...
Program told that "Couldn't locate decompressor for format XVID. Virtualdud requires a video for window (VFWX compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those use by windows media player, are not suitable"

Thank u in advance for someone who is kindness :wub:
You need to get the xvid codec, check out the HELP(FAQ) section.

jasmin

Post by jasmin » May 19th, '06, 16:56

Thanks for ZenMystic!!!!!!!

I will try soon..... Ya hoooo Huleee ha ha ha

Do u know If I make a hardsub with drama file, I will play it with real DVD player (connected with TV )?
Is it true?????

Thank again

ZenMystic

Post by ZenMystic » May 19th, '06, 19:48

jasmin wrote:Do u know If I make a hardsub with drama file, I will play it with real DVD player (connected with TV )? Is it true????? Thank again
If I understand your question correctly, the answer is yes. But take one step at a time, if you don't get the basics sorted out, you'll just go round in circles, with endless problems.

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » May 21st, '06, 14:29

bangkok_devious wrote:I know this tutorial is really about adding soft-subs-----but it shows you how to resize the video too.

http://koreandramas.bishsite.com/topic_541.html

I found it really helpful---she even made it with pictures :-)
This should be ....

www.koreandramas.net/topic_541.html

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Gi-Ma-Mi » May 21st, '06, 14:55

can i ask some questions, XviD is a free codec and DivX is not, right?
so is DivX any better than XviD?

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » May 21st, '06, 15:13

Gi-Ma-Mi wrote:can i ask some questions, XviD is a free codec and DivX is not, right?
so is DivX any better than XviD?
Both are free....

DiVX - http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec5.html

XViD - http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Gi-Ma-Mi » May 21st, '06, 15:23

DiVX is? 'cause i remember one time i used it and it asked me for pw saying that i was converting with high bitrate :d
can i ask what is the different between DiVX and XViD?

mtlandis

Post by mtlandis » May 21st, '06, 16:46

Gi-Ma-Mi wrote:DiVX is? 'cause i remember one time i used it and it asked me for pw saying that i was converting with high bitrate :d
When you install DiVX, unclick the player option - you don't need it.

I really don't know the difference between the two. I have read several debates on which is better. There are strong advocates for both sides. The tutorial I did uses DiVX only because that is the way I learned. I no longer hard sub avi files so I never bothered trying XViD. The best I can suggest is try both and see which you like better.

ZenMystic

Post by ZenMystic » May 21st, '06, 16:49

Gi-Ma-Mi wrote:DiVX is? 'cause i remember one time i used it and it asked me for pw saying that i was converting with high bitrate :d
I think they do a pro version and a free one, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure what the differences are though, I suspect about the're about equal. But if people have to resort to zooming 500% or getting the magnifying glass out, then I'm not interested. I'm a fan of the drama, not the technicalities involved in getting it to me.