Celeron or AMD

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
canon05

Celeron or AMD

Post by canon05 » Mar 11th, '06, 21:24

I want to know which processor will do better for multimedia - Celeron or AMD 2 gigahertzs? Could you guys suggest other processors if there are any? Thanks in advance!

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 11th, '06, 23:19

Check this thread for answers. I think the bottomline was that AMD is probably the better choice if the specs are very similar.

thread: Sempron 3000+ or p4c 2.4 gig choice?

For multimedia both should be fine. Both offer the necessary MMX, SSE1/2, 3DNow instruction sets. If you need SSE3 then you should be careful what model you buy. Some low-end variants might have no SSE3 instruction set (like my good old Sempron 3100+).

Lynn Minmei

Post by Lynn Minmei » Mar 11th, '06, 23:23

with the same speed, choose the higher L2 cache.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 11th, '06, 23:35

Multimedia performance will pretty much scale with clock speed. Many transcoding tasks will benefit significantly from hyperthreading or dual core cpu's, so if you are doing encoding you want to be sure to get a cpu that can hyperthread or which has multiple cores. Another useful thing is to buy two hard drives and use software RAID to stripe data across the two drives, increasing your disk io performance. It's one of the cheapest speed boosts you can buy.

SyaoranX

Post by SyaoranX » Mar 11th, '06, 23:36

the AMD Opterons are also a good choice. ^_^ The 165 denmark is awesome. overclock like crazy plus 2x 1mb L2 cache. if u can chip out the money, then its a great buy.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Mar 11th, '06, 23:47

But we are talking Celeron level here. That is lowest low-end when I remember right. I doubt you get Hyperthreading, Dual Core, Opteron, or 1MB L2 cache in that market segment. :wink:

This is more like Single Core, Sempron, and if you're lucky then 512KB L2 cache. I was kinda shocked when CPU-Z reported only 256KB for my cheap-ass Sempron. And I know that there are even models with only 128KB. *yuck*

Paniolagirl

Post by Paniolagirl » Mar 12th, '06, 00:17

I am happy with the computer I just brought.

Comes With.

1. Pentium® D Processor 830 with Dual Core Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)
2. Free upgrade to "1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 6673MHz"
but I went on step forward and picked up "2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
at 667MHz".
3. Free Upgrade from a 80GB SATA Hard Drive to a 160GB SATA (7200 RPM)
4. I passed on the free upgrade to a 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
dvd birner. The dvd burners that come in Dell Computers suck big time.
5.Came with a 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE
video card
6. And included in the price was a 19 inch E196FP Analog Flat Panel LCD monitor.

Paid about $780 for the whole thing. When it got here I installed my own Pioneer
16x dual layer multi dvd burner. I also added a new 300GB SATA HD I had stored away. I also have a Lite-ON 16x dvd-rom that I will install in the Dell. The 16x dvd rom drives they put in their computers can't rip a dvd for crap.
The Lite-ON SOHD-16P9S04c is a very fast drive that can rip with the best of them.
I have 2 of them in my other computers.

I am very happy with the speed of this computer. The only thing I will upgrade later
will be the video card I want comes down in price.

If Dell sold computers with AMD chips I probably would of gone that route.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 12th, '06, 06:18

Paniolagirl wrote:Paid about $780 for the whole thing.
niiiiice. did that include the shipping?

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 12th, '06, 15:24

Paniolagirl has certainly made the deal of the day!!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 12th, '06, 22:28

well, *especially* if that included shipping. when i ordered my computer from dell a few years ago, i got a pretty good deal, then i had to pay $100 for shipping. you can't believe what they do to hawaii, alaskan and puerto rican residents!

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Mar 12th, '06, 23:27

Hmmm... I always buy my boxes one piece at a time... I wonder what I wound up paying in aggregate shipping last time? That and having to exchange the video card because I didn't realise the new MB had no AGP slot...

Paniolagirl

Post by Paniolagirl » Mar 13th, '06, 22:22

jholic wrote:
Paniolagirl wrote:Paid about $780 for the whole thing.
niiiiice. did that include the shipping?
Sorry about that forgot about shipping. So add another $60 to that.

Paniolagirl

Post by Paniolagirl » Mar 13th, '06, 22:45

jholic wrote:well, *especially* if that included shipping. when i ordered my computer from dell a few years ago, i got a pretty good deal, then i had to pay $100 for shipping. you can't believe what they do to hawaii, alaskan and puerto rican residents!
Your right about that. They charge about $79 for just the computer. If you order a 19" flat screen monitor it's $39 do that. That is what it cost me for my previous. I brought the computer and monitor separate. I wanted the better 19" digital monitor and i was waiting for the price to drop.

I still think I ended up with a good deal. The shipping would of been $109 shipped together. But I had a discount code I used to help reduce the cost of shipping. But it does suck that people on the mainland always get free ground shipping.

I know most people don't like Dell's but knock on wood I have not had any problems. I just kmow that there cd, dvd-rom, and dvd burners suck.

About 4 or 5 times a year they have some really good deals if you use those $400 off coupon codes or the stackable dollar amount or % off coupon codes.

My next purchase will be when I can find a good deal on their 24" digital LCD widescreen monitor. Hopefully by the end of the year this will be down to $500 or under by then.

My other Dell a 8400 model that is almost a year old. Came with what I listed below. And it cost me $760 that included shipping with out a monitor. I used one of those "$300 off Dimension Desktops $899 or higher coupon code". They also threw in a free 720 Color Printer and it's still in the box.

1. Pentium(r) 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology (3GHz, 800 FSB)
2. 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz
3. 80GB Serial ATA HD
4. 16x dvd-rom drive, once again I passed on the free upgrade to a 16X dvd burner

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 14th, '06, 05:38

Paniolagirl wrote:Your right about that. They charge about $79 for just the computer. If you order a 19" flat screen monitor it's $39 do that.
yeah, that sounds about right. :x
Paniolagirl wrote:I still think I ended up with a good deal. The shipping would of been $109 shipped together. But I had a discount code I used to help reduce the cost of shipping. But it does suck that people on the mainland always get free ground shipping.
first of all, i did not know that the discount codes worked on the cost of shipping. i thought i used one when i bought mine, and i don't remember it discounting the shipping.

well, i understand that you can't "ground" ship anything to hawaii. (but that's not true either, because my friend says if you 'ground-ship' to hawaii, it just comes by ship.) what really pisses me off is that these tech companies do not give you the option of carrier. in other words, why do they have to use fedex (the most expensive one)? why can't i use usps? they may be slower, but muuuuch cheaper. and they can insure it for less too. "that's what really grinds my gears!"

canon05

Post by canon05 » Mar 17th, '06, 02:32

Thank you for your suggestions! =)