iPod Help

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
PhilsterT

iPod Help

Post by PhilsterT » Dec 26th, '06, 04:11

This question goes out to all of those who have suffered and toiled to get their Jdrama and PVs on their iPods. (I need help!)

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but to have videos on your iPod they need to be in m4a format (na?). Now, none of the drams or PVs here are. So, I downloaded Video Converter iPod and it worked well. (iTunes runs the videos slow, but so what...) I have a bit of trouble with converting the videos so I don't lose too much quality. I went from an 80 MB file to a 30 MB file and lost a fair bit of quality even though I think it's on the highest setting.

Also, with Vobsub, how can I embed soft subs as well as two pieces to a movie?

:cussing:

inhumanity

Post by inhumanity » Jan 2nd, '07, 13:01

iPod also plays h.246, m4v, mpeg4 or mov formats, i suggest that you convert your files to h.246. when converting to h.246. it takes more time but you can have the best quality that iPod can run(which is 768 kbps, over that iPod will reject it) With videora, when you choose 768 kbps quality, it usually is somewhere around 800kbps,iPod Will reject it. So you have to manually choose bitrate ~680kpbs but it will take more time and 80mb filesize wont go much down.

i use 3gp converter.i convert to mp4's smallest QVGA (30fps) audio 192kbs.
700mb movie to ~100mb and 175mb to ~ 50mb, with exellent quality, you should try that.

but if your 80mb video is about 25min long you should download larger files with better quality

cebusnacker

Post by cebusnacker » Jan 28th, '07, 07:39

yes I was wondering about this too? how do you put soft subs on there? do you just put in in the notes file as well?

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jan 28th, '07, 07:51

methinks inhumanity means h.264, not h.246 files...
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

ipod

Post by Gi-Ma-Mi » Jun 5th, '07, 03:30

hi, i've been having some problems with my ipod lately, I transfer some music videos ( mp4 format) into my ipod. They were automatically placed in the Movies folder of my ipod. I didn't want them to be placed there so I replaced them (right-clicked the files--> Get info-->Video tab-->then I chose 'Music Video' in the Video Kind's drop-down box)
They did get moved, when i unplugged my ipod, I can see the files when I chose the Music Video folder but when I plugged it in my computer and opened itunes, they didn't appear in the music folder. Anyone knows why?
Sorry if this is confusing :pale:

yourgirlmikkey

Post by yourgirlmikkey » Jun 5th, '07, 04:46

Have you tried to resync your iPod to your iTunes after you plugged it in? Sometimes the iTunes program has quirks. If that doesn't work, try resetting your iPod too. :)
*In training!

Image *Credit to Iindaxo for a lovely banner*

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Gi-Ma-Mi » Jun 6th, '07, 02:21

i always add video files manually (drag and drop) so the video files aren't in my itunes library, so will it delete my file if I resync it?

Gi-Ma-Mi
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Gi-Ma-Mi » Jun 10th, '07, 00:45

anyone?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 13th, '07, 01:10

i don't have an ipod, but i have a few friends who do. i believe it will delete it from what i've heard.

perhaps you should go to the itunes forum and ask your question there.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

groink

Re: ipod

Post by groink » Jun 13th, '07, 02:25

Gi-Ma-Mi wrote:Sorry if this is confusing :pale:
I had this same problem myself. I'm not at my home computer at the moment. When I get home and doc my iPod, I'll see what I did.

--- groink

groink

Re: ipod

Post by groink » Jun 13th, '07, 08:12

Okay, with your iPod docked and iTunes open, first select your iPod device on the left column under the DEVICES category. This should show you the Summary page. You should also see other tabs within the page, such as Music, Movies, etc. Click on the Music tab. In there, make sure that the "Include music videos" is checked on. Next, go to Edit -> Preferences... and click on the General tab. Make sure "Movies" is checked on. And then finally, under the LIBRARY category on the left column, select Music, and then in the search text box type in the name of one of your music videos.

If the search does not locate your music videos, what I would do next is re-index these music videos. I've seen iTunes lose track of files before even though they still exist. Close out of iTunes, and disconnect your iPod. Go to your iTunes folder and move the music videos out of their folders and onto something else, such as your desktop. Run iTunes, and then re-add those music video files to iTunes. The files are already tagged as music videos, so hopefully iTunes will catch this when importing.

--- groink

jofabc_k

Post by jofabc_k » Jul 6th, '07, 01:41

Anyone knows whether the iPod video is same as iPhone or not? I have an iPod video converter (which can create 320x240 mp4 video), Do I also need the iPhone Video converter? I know iPod's screen is 320x240, while iPhone's screen is 480x320.
Any freeware is available?

pcasado

Post by pcasado » Jul 27th, '07, 10:12

cebusnacker wrote:yes I was wondering about this too? how do you put soft subs on there? do you just put in in the notes file as well?
to add the subs to the movie, since the gadget don't read additional files with the video, you need to re-encode the file, if you have the DirectVobSub filter installed and the TMPGEnc (MPEG-1/2 - NOT FREE) it will do the job good, also you can try the MS Windows Media encoder (not only encode to WMA, if you have the additional ENCoders filters installed)

This tools works like a player, means it load to mem. the necessary filters needed to display the content of the media file (audio/video/subbs filter) and re-encode the content to the desired format as it is shown...
... Otherwise, all apart from the rest is just Mental !...

nevernoticed_93

Post by nevernoticed_93 » Jul 30th, '07, 03:22

ok...i just converted Goong into .mp4 format and now i have it on my iTunes. It works but when i tried to sync it onto my ipod vid a window came up saying "Goong EP1" could not be copied to the ipod "CHERRI" becuase it can't be played on this ipod.

why is that and how can i fix it (if possible)?

Sam J.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 30th, '07, 03:29

nevernoticed_93 wrote:ok...i just converted Goong into .mp4 format and now i have it on my iTunes. It works but when i tried to sync it onto my ipod vid a window came up saying "Goong EP1" could not be copied to the ipod "CHERRI" becuase it can't be played on this ipod.

Could be a million different reasons:

1. What tool and settings did you use to convert the video to MP4? SUPER? QuickTime?

2. What model of iPod do you have? iPod Video 30GB? iPod Video 80GB?

3. Have you ever had success ripping other videos to MP4 and have it work on your iPod?

--- groink

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jul 30th, '07, 03:54

@nevernoticed - are you sure it's mp4? cause i encountered the same problem a while back, and i found that the file was in mpG. i found that mpg's can be played in itunes but the ipods cant. so maybe you converted it to mpg instead of mp4... just a thought though. :D
Avatar thanks to haiki-chan@livejournal

nevernoticed_93

Post by nevernoticed_93 » Jul 30th, '07, 14:29

I right-clicked the vid on iTunes and went to "Get Info" and it says that it's a MPEG-4 video file.

:cry: help!

nevernoticed_93

Post by nevernoticed_93 » Jul 30th, '07, 14:38

groink wrote:
nevernoticed_93 wrote:ok...i just converted Goong into .mp4 format and now i have it on my iTunes. It works but when i tried to sync it onto my ipod vid a window came up saying "Goong EP1" could not be copied to the ipod "CHERRI" becuase it can't be played on this ipod.

Could be a million different reasons:

1. What tool and settings did you use to convert the video to MP4? SUPER? QuickTime?

2. What model of iPod do you have? iPod Video 30GB? iPod Video 80GB?

3. Have you ever had success ripping other videos to MP4 and have it work on your iPod?

--- groink

@groink

1. I used Super and had it changed into MP4 video format

2. iPod Video 30GB

3. I've had success in converting Smiling Pasta (it was .AVI) into MP4, and, yes, it works on my iPod.

nevernoticed_93

Post by nevernoticed_93 » Aug 2nd, '07, 15:19

anyone, please? :cry: