Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Vista slow starting..?

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
noura

Vista slow starting..?

Post by noura » May 21st, '07, 11:43

I just bought a new laptop with Vista ( my previous is XP ) , and noticed the slow starting when I switch it on.. takes about 2 : 40 mins !!
First I thought it's maybe because of the laptop .. here the one I bought Sony :
http://www.sony-mea.com/vaio/vgn_tx57gn ... cation.asp

And I did a search in google and discovered that Vista is actually SLOW !!!
and read a post telling to disable UAC and it will help littel.. I'm not an expert in tech issues... Anyone can help?

witica

Post by witica » May 23rd, '07, 09:33

which version of vista do you have installed on your laptop? home? home premium? business? ultimate? the answer to your question will vary slightly based on which version of vista you're running. but overall, vista is just a bit on the slow side for boot times...

noura

Post by noura » May 23rd, '07, 15:30

I didn't install it , I bought the laptop and it was built in the system .. and the version is Busines "Genuine Windows Vista™ Business "
As you said, the vista looks slow ..have you had any other problems with it? so I will be expecting them to happen ..

TRaven

Post by TRaven » May 23rd, '07, 20:43

do you know your laptop's specs, brutha?

goodmorning.im

Post by goodmorning.im » May 23rd, '07, 20:55

My friend just got a Toshiba laptop yesterday. Vista = worst nightmare! His took about that long to start up, too :[

My recommendation is to switch to Linux and just use Vista to play games.

(Does Vista even allow you to use clubbox?)

nak

Post by nak » May 25th, '07, 04:21

I am on Vista (i'm not sure about the verison, bu pretty sure its home premium or something), and it allows me to use clubbox and gogobox....just for you info...

Slow start up?...mine takes about 30 seconds to load...duuno how you think of what's fast or slow :whistling:

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 25th, '07, 04:33

Run Linux, you won't have to worry about startup, because there's no reason to turn it off:

pokute@t22: ~ >>uptime
21:26:43 up 41 days, 3:28, 6 users, load average: 0.21, 0.09, 0.03

That's my laptop, an IBM T22. I only rebooted it 41 days ago because the power went out for a whole day. Before that it was up for nearly half a year. You close the lid when you aren't using it, and open the lid when you want to use it... No start up transient.

airskape

Post by airskape » May 25th, '07, 04:41

well it seems the op doesnt know much about computers, so its just stupid to suggest using linux
linux is very impractical for your average everyday computer user who just wants to use their computer for the internet, word/office, whatever

deadd

Post by deadd » May 25th, '07, 04:46

pokute wrote:Run Linux, you won't have to worry about startup, because there's no reason to turn it off:

pokute@t22: ~ >>uptime
21:26:43 up 41 days, 3:28, 6 users, load average: 0.21, 0.09, 0.03

That's my laptop, an IBM T22. I only rebooted it 41 days ago because the power went out for a whole day. Before that it was up for nearly half a year. You close the lid when you aren't using it, and open the lid when you want to use it... No start up transient.
I first tried Linux (ubuntu then fedora) about a year ago...right now I dual-boot WinXP half the time. Some stuff just don't appear right on certain websites with Linux. I use it mostly when I do my "important stuff". Plus, if I need to customize my OS, I don't know C or python or perl or any other language Linux requires. I took programming classes, but I'm not good at it.

Anyway, about the laptop, you probably have the slowest CPU of new computers you can get. That chip is even slow for XP. You could probably use more RAM, depending on how much you set aside for Video. IIRC, VIsta Basic needs more than 512MB but less than 1GB of RAM, and all the others require more than 1GB. Since you seem to have Vista Business, I recommend getting more RAM.

Of course, Linux will run a lot more efficiently with your Laptop, but if you're like me and can't do computer programming, you're stuck with either Microsoft or Apple products.

Hope that helps.

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 25th, '07, 05:02

Great reasons for using Linux:
  • Linux has become much more gui-based, even in just the past year. This means that there is a control panel where you can do all the configurations and installation of new software.
  • The latest Ubuntu version (Feisty) also has superb out of the box support, meaning that you install it, and 95% of your hardware works. This includes even obscure drives on toshiba laptops (I run a toshiba laptop and even the firewire and the wireless internet worked out of the box, no configuration needed.
  • It is FASTER with each successive version, not slower. So you can always run the latest version of the OS, unlike Windows, which doubles the minimum requirements fo BOTH the CPU and RAM from XP to Vista, that is without the special Aero glass settings that you can get just as easily in Linux without the waste of resources.
  • Most of the softwares that you need are free, because people who write softwares for linux like free things. This means that operating system updates are FREE, too!
  • In terms of security, Linux is undeniably the best, simply because there are SO many DIFFERENT versions of linux, that it's a waste of hacker's time to try to figure out what you are running, which version, how it's configured, etc. just to hack into your ONE computer.
  • Multiple desktops and workspaces. If you are a power user and you don't know what I'm talking about, you're missing out. If you want the poor windows imitation of it, check out Virtual Dimsension
  • It's beautiful. More so then Vista. Something simple like Enlightenment (check out screenshots at get-e.org ) is elegant, personalizeable, and uses very little resources. Or you can go with Beryl or Compix (wikipedia them) to create a desktop cube that you can marvel at for hours, not to mention wobbly windows when you drag them around and lots of other cools stuff.
  • There's a lot more... I just can't think of them right now...
The ONLY reason that I'm keeping windows XP on my dualboot system is because linux has only the most basic of .ass subtitle support, and since I encode videos, that's important to me. But for example, MeGUI (a very popular advanced video encoder) and SUPER are both based on Mencoder, part of the Mplayer package, which is a software written for Linux (and then also compiled for windows).

mikey009

Post by mikey009 » May 25th, '07, 05:24

ok u guys have to understand that a laptop has so much more software it has to load. for instance the laptop mouse it needs plotting software, if you have bluetooth it needs software, wi-fi, wateva other features it has there is a piece of software for it and that new laptops come with so much trail software bundled into it some of which will load on start up.

secondly that the required specs for vista are almost 4 times that of xp e.g xp required ram 128 vista required ram 512.

so say if u buy a laptop with 1gig of ram which is normal these days the required software and vista is probably using most of that 1gig of ram.

about linux ok yes its faster, more stable, and hell mostly likely its alot better. but its too much of a hassle finding and dling soft. so its also too hard for some1 whos new to computers to use linux.

last ok windows xp, vista... is probably the worse operating systems on the market but they're unfortunately also the biggest this means that almost all software developers make software for windows. like y would they bother with other operating system when windows has like 90% market share??

thats my 2cents

edit: o yeah i noticed that the sony vaio run a 'Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950' which means the video card is using system rams as well.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » May 30th, '07, 01:44

step 1) turn off laptop
step 2) smash
step 3) repeat
step 4) go back to store you bought it at and say it doesn't work
step 5) take the smashed laptop that the store wouldn't take and throw it away
step 6) go find your old XP laptop
step 7) why are you still reading this
step 8) it's obvious i'm just yanking your chain
step 9) i truly hope you read all the instructions before doing step 2
step 10) i'm bored
step 11) really bored
step 13) i forgot step 12
step 14) i boxed all my stuff and am sitting on a cooler right now
step 15) and i damaged my RAM and now my computer lags
step 15) i'm ranting for no good reason whatsoever
step 16) i can't seem to stop
step 17) eh, i guess i'm done
step 18) not really
step 19) maybe the next step
step 20) kthxbai

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 30th, '07, 03:11

Okay, I'll address a few of the points about Linux, since I'm a Linux developer.

There are MORE programmers coding Linux applications. That's why there are 1000 times as many Linux apps as Windoze apps. There's fewer commercial games, and there's currently no good subbing package. Other than those two things, there's more and better everything else for Linux.

When you install Linux, it comes with almost everything. The only thing you typically need to find and install yourself is the Flash Player. Since Adobe is a crap company, the Flash Player for Linux crashes Firefox. This makes Bill Gates very happy.

All the Windoze programmers I know are coding for M$ because they don't like having to code in security and stability, it's much easier to code insecure and unstable junk, and it pays better. Ah, the American Dream.

Linux is more secure because it is intended to be used as a multi-user environment over a hostile network. Windoze was designed by trolls who felt that computers were only good for word processing. I am a Linux hacker, but I can't hack into most Linux boxes... Not because I don't know how they are configured, but because the distributions all have good basic security models... Because it is very easy to secure Linux. Of course, if somebody is running a PHP-based web forum all the security stuff goes out the window ;^)

tinyeu1234

Post by tinyeu1234 » Nov 26th, '08, 21:57

I had the same problem when I first bought my HP laptop! Vista usually runs alot of things when it first start up! and alot of programs wants to start up when Vista turns on. Limit how many programs you want to load up when Vista starts up

1. Click circle roundy thing at bottom left (Formally known as START)
2. In search type: "msconfig" ---> Push Continue to give Window permission to continue
3. Click "Startup" Tab (These are what Vista loading when it starts up)
4. Uncheck programs that you do not need to start up! (ALOT OF THEM)
5. Click Apply ---> Restart

Your start up should be faster on Vista. I also recommend that you also Defrag your laptop also, it will help speed things up!

Another program that will help speed things up on your Laptop is a program called "Glary Utilities" (DL free one). It will clean up crap that Vista leaves on your computer! http://www.glaryutilities.com/

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Nov 26th, '08, 22:58

Holy crap. You win. Slowest response in history. But then you were only 8 years old when the thread ended.

tinyeu1234

Post by tinyeu1234 » Nov 26th, '08, 23:28

pokute wrote:Holy crap. You win. Slowest response in history. But then you were only 8 years old when the thread ended.
HA HA HA HA...Well I just made my account not long ago!

But might as well give a response for others who have the same problem. :D