Rant on Inconsistency with Uploaded material's CoDecs

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
FoolyDooly

Rant on Inconsistency with Uploaded material's CoDecs

Post by FoolyDooly » Jul 19th, '07, 14:44

I know it's very stupid of me to say. I am not ranting much. I just found it annoying that it's very inconsistent, especially with Chun-e-junjang (which the Raw material flopped codec least every 2 episode). Is material and recoding that hard to do sometimes?

Reason I'm ranting is because I'm not the only one watching drama. My parents do, too, and they watch them on dedicated DVD machine that can decode DivX and XviD, but not H264/X264.

Codecs I found used in this site for all raws:
Video-
MPEG-4 Part 2 ASP (Shoot-offs are DivX / XviD)
MPEG-4 Part 10 AVC (H264/X264)
Audio
MPEG-1/2 Layer-3 (MP3)
Dolby Digital multi-sound track (AC3)

I know some of you guys might be upset too, because some of you guys do not have recent machine that does support H264. I was in that position, too, until recently, so it's quite a tongue-biter... Don't you guys find this bit annoying?

Serilkath

Post by Serilkath » Jul 19th, '07, 15:08

Personally I'd take quality over convenience every time so H.264/AC3 whenever it available... But that's me. Some encoder doesn't care about quality and other does, some take their time other wants to release fast. There's nothing we can do here than thank them for their time and be hopeful that this kind of rant doesn't tick them off.

You can alway re encode in any format you find convenient, you.ll find that there's a lot of tutorial on the web.

And yes, this was very stupid thing for you to write (as it is for me to write a response in a way).

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Rant on Inconsistency with Uploaded material's CoDecs

Post by quashlo » Jul 19th, '07, 15:14

^You know that most of what gets upped here isn't recorded by the people who share it here, right? Most of the uploaders at D-Addicts are merely middle men who distribute what someone else recorded (not necessarily the same people every time) to the other leechers here.

A few words of wisdom to people who can only complain:
You are getting your dramas for FREE. The least you can do is keep your mouth shut and try and make things work on your end.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Jul 19th, '07, 15:25

priority goes to compatibility with teh PC. Playing on your set top box is just an added bonus. Just reencode them to xvid or mpeg2 then your good to go.

Although not cheap, there are media player that can play x264, which plugs directly into your TV. Think HDD enclosure + TV. AFAIK tivx is the only one that currently has this, but not cheap.

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Jul 19th, '07, 15:35

popoycanton wrote:priority goes to compatibility with teh PC. Playing on your set top box is just an added bonus. Just reencode them to xvid or mpeg2 then your good to go.

Although not cheap, there are media player that can play x264, which plugs directly into your TV. Think HDD enclosure + TV. AFAIK tivx is the only one that currently has this, but not cheap.
I know those, but my parents are not willing to spend cash for that.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jul 19th, '07, 15:37

You young folks with you fancy MPEG-4 and AC3 codecs. Back in my days, we had to live with Cinepak and PCM.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rant on Inconsistency with Uploaded material's CoDecs

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Jul 19th, '07, 17:25

FoolyDooly wrote:...

Is material and recoding that hard to do sometimes?

You seem to think that re-encoding something is click, click, done. If such is the case, perhaps you can re-encode it yourself and upload it. If you aren't willing to do that then please remember that beggars can't be choosers. I'd be quite offended if I were an uploader and was being criticized because I didn't bother to take 8 hours out of my PC usage to re-encode a video for a handful of people. At the risk of getting into a flame war, I'd like to hear from the regular uploaders here on D-Addicts.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 19th, '07, 18:01

Like one of the others mentioned earlier...

Just about all the RAWs you see here on D-Addicts was originally ripped by someone else. I'm not sure about South Korea, but in Japan x264 is advancing rapidly. Most Japanese who use the RAWs are technically savvy - while their parents can actually watch the shows off broadcast TV. And x264 is used throughout Japan - especially in anime and Jpop. Seriously, the RAWs were meant to be uploaded and consumed within Japan. They were never meant to be uploaded to D-Addicts and then subbed. Once a RAW leaves the country of origin, the more diverse the technology of the player and the savvyness of the viewers.

There's really no nice way of explaining this... You must realize that technology is advancing each and every year. And when you purchase computers and other electronic appliances, the expectation is that you WILL replace them at least every two years. You basically have three choices here. 1 ) you make the investment. 2 ) you deal with it somehow like re-ripping. 3) do something else like watching TV in your homeland.

Watching entertainment is purely by choice. If you're not going to take the time and investment in the process of being entertained, then simply you don't deserve to enjoy the content being delivered to you.

--- groink

Xi@h
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Xi@h » Jul 20th, '07, 16:23

Seems to me that lately many new comers rant very much, am I wrong here?

I can guess that they aren't that much technology-wise and speak up what they have in mind without proper thinking.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jul 20th, '07, 16:44

If all you want is RAWs that will play on a DVD player then buy the darn DVDs.
Those should be consistent as they are done by the same people and are designed to work in the DVD player.
However, since you are being cheap, stop complaining. Go download SUPER or something and YOU spend the hours it takes to re-encode things.

And personally as an encoder. I love the H254 codec. It makes things nice and small, which is easier to deal with. I won't change this until there is something better. I'm sure most encoders who care about encoding feel the same way.
Last edited by Puppet Princess on Jul 20th, '07, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

elden41

Post by elden41 » Jul 20th, '07, 16:44

Fact: As previously mentioned, most uploaders are "middle men" and do not encode.

People like you really get me fired up. :cussing: Who forced you to download and watch anything uploaded here on D-Addicts anyways? Who's problem is it that your parents are too cheap to buy an upgraded system? Are you paying uploaders any money for the time and electricity spent uploading?

We are always told in school that there's no such thing as a stupid question. Those instructors are idiots for saying that and are only looking for class participation. I've heard many DUMB questions in my time, and yes, your question was stupid.

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Jul 21st, '07, 13:35

1) Actually, I was planning to donate. :roll:
2) I'm not just talking about being unable to watch it on DVD player nor I was ranting about quality. The Codecs make huge difference if your computer does not meet the PC requirement. Sure, my PC meets it, and I like H264 too, but it limits the audience. And that's my opinion.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 21st, '07, 20:38

FoolyDooly wrote:Sure, my PC meets it, and I like H264 too, but it limits the audience. And that's my opinion.
The shows are free. Need I say more? There's NEVER been anything in this world that was free and at the same time an inconvenience to people. Unless you're forced on things free...

"As punishment for drawing graffiti all over the city, the court will force you to watch FREE Asian dramas... And at H264 ON A COMMODORE 64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now GET HIM OUT OF HERE!!!!"

"OH GOD NO!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo.................."

--- groink

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jul 21st, '07, 20:59

joining in late:

x264 is the future. even HD-DVD and Bluray is using it. i know that divx/xvid is convenient (i have multiple divx dvd players within friends and family, and still do encode stuff in divx for such purposes), but x264's quality is much better (deblocking, filtering, etc...) and provides a smaller file size. the only downside to is that now you're going to need a semi-decent computer to play them nowadays.

i think in the future, we'll start seeing dedicated x264 decoders on set top boxes for our tvs. having x264 on my psp is also very convenient, since i am very limited in the filesize.

as an uploader:

we're sorry that you've had many troubles in solving your codec issues. we're trying to minimize variances in video codecs. it was a bit rocky the first couple of times, but now and we have a process that has been working (so far). however, in our case, we have crappy real media files as our raws. we could preserve the (abysmal) quality of these real media video files with xvid, but it would usually involve about a 50% file size increase. using x264 in our case cuts down not only space, but uploading time also. not all of us have super-OC10 connections and terabyte hard drive space.

fansubs are FREE! we're doing our best to appease the masses, but at the same time, come up with a process for all steps in the fansubbing process that is (hopefully) accommodating for all.

Imazul

Post by Imazul » Jul 21st, '07, 21:13

--First--
Saying that you should not complain because something is free is retarded. Even if a service is provided for free, complaints and suggestions should be heard and welcome to make the service even better. If you are not happy with people giving critics on your work, then stop doing it or distributing it.

--Second--
The complaint he made was not even close to being constructive though. Codecs have always been a pain but everyone learned to deal with it. And who in their right mind who would inferior image quality? x264 is one of the best codec quality/size wise currently out and I seriously hope uploaders will all migrate to that particular format.

If you really are hellbent on watching the show on your xvid player, have you ever thought about re-encoding them yourself?

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Jul 21st, '07, 21:27

Imazul wrote:If you really are hellbent on watching the show on your xvid player, have you ever thought about re-encoding them yourself?
People continuously ask me this, so I'll answer, yes I do.
Being an Anime fansubber, I know, however, it takes long long time to recode, however (sometimes same time, or even longer then original material being downloaded)...

I just wanted to hear this on everyone's perspective, with no intention to turning it into flamebait. If I did, I sincerely apologize now.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 21st, '07, 22:24

FoolyDooly wrote:I just wanted to hear this on everyone's perspective, with no intention to turning it into flamebait. If I did, I sincerely apologize now.
Seeing you're relatively new to D-Addicts as far as the age of your account is concerned.... Let me give you one piece of advice... And this is to EVERYONE on D-Addicts, and not just the newbies:

Whenever you bring up a topic that questions fanworks, fansubbing, raws, uploading, etc., you are considered to be a troll. By Internet definition, a person is a troll "who is deliberately initiating a topic of controversy on a forum in order to provoke a vehement response from other users." A member is labeled a troll if he shows little experience with the forum, based on a number of factors:

- Total number of posts.
- The trend of your previous posts, if you show a trend of whining or bringing up topics of controversy.

Whether or not you meant to invoke a vehement response, the theme of your topic WILL trigger these types of responses when the topic questions the content offered on D-Addicts. Most of us uploaders would prefer people to download our shows and not say anything whatsoever, or at worst a simple "thanks" for the uploads. Any more than that, most of us will interpret as dissatisfaction of the uploads.

If you're posting topics in order to change the way things are run at D-Addicts, that is also considered controversial - as most of us really don't want things to change, as most of us have the ability to adapt without question.

I have almost 30 years of experience with on-line communities. So the advice I've given here should be taken seriously.

--- groink

Imazul

Post by Imazul » Jul 21st, '07, 23:17

groink wrote: Seeing you're relatively new to D-Addicts as far as the age of your account is concerned.... Let me give you one piece of advice... And this is to EVERYONE on D-Addicts, and not just the newbies:

Whenever you bring up a topic that questions fanworks, fansubbing, raws, uploading, etc., you are considered to be a troll. By Internet definition, a person is a troll "who is deliberately initiating a topic of controversy on a forum in order to provoke a vehement response from other users." A member is labeled a troll if he shows little experience with the forum, based on a number of factors:

- Total number of posts.
- The trend of your previous posts, if you show a trend of whining or bringing up topics of controversy.

Whether or not you meant to invoke a vehement response, the theme of your topic WILL trigger these types of responses when the topic questions the content offered on D-Addicts. Most of us uploaders would prefer people to download our shows and not say anything whatsoever, or at worst a simple "thanks" for the uploads. Any more than that, most of us will interpret as dissatisfaction of the uploads.

If you're posting topics in order to change the way things are run at D-Addicts, that is also considered controversial - as most of us really don't want things to change, as most of us have the ability to adapt without question.

I have almost 30 years of experience with on-line communities. So the advice I've given here should be taken seriously.

--- groink
Sorry since you are probably going to take this the wrong way.

What you said is completely false and highly uninformed. Most fansub group out there (and yes, I am pretty sure that applys to drama sub group as well) are more then happy to accept suggestion about their work and a little criticism
Who doesn't want things to change if the changes can make the overall product better for everyone?
Any group not willing to take a little advice from the people they are providing for are better off making their release private in any case.

Of course this applies to positive criticism, the OP wasn't positive or even criticism at all. But to label anyone who makes a thread about members of the fansubbing community as troll is wrong, very wrong.

If you seriously are taking anything more than a thanks as dissatisfaction, you have a serious problem and you should probably consult a psychologist.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jul 21st, '07, 23:36

woah whoa everyone, i think we've completely missed d-addict's message of togetherness here

we're here to glorify how good dramas are to the masses, let's just all watch some ridiculousness of hana kimi (j) or some, ne?

groink

Post by groink » Jul 21st, '07, 23:55

Imazul wrote:If you seriously are taking anything more than a thanks as dissatisfaction, you have a serious problem and you should probably consult a psychologist.
The next time I see an uploader stop uploading because, in your psyche, mis-understood the comments and is deemed "retarded", I'll remember your comments made here.

I'd rather have content uploaded with no criticism made about it than to have NO content uploaded because of the criticism made. I'm attempting to keep uploading alive, Guillaume. If you're trying to spin it the other way and forcing uploaders to "take it" with words like "retard" and claiming that we need psychiatric help because of the way we interpret these comments, you're not helping the free Asian drama movement whatsoever.

And BTW, the title of this topic includes the word "rant." That does actually mean he has a complaint.

--- groink

ap0stat3

Post by ap0stat3 » Jul 22nd, '07, 00:05

AkumaX wrote:woah whoa everyone, i think we've completely missed d-addict's message of togetherness here

we're here to glorify how good dramas are to the masses, let's just all watch some ridiculousness of hana kimi (j) or some, ne?
ya let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya, and watch some drama :lol

the rants are getting out of hand .. the original poster rant about the coding of the video, why it is H264/X264 and not DivX and XviD where he/she can watch it with his/her parents on his/her fancy DivX and XviD decoding machine..:whistling:

@imazul -- i don't mean to flame you but what you said is true about about giving advice but that doesn't mean they (the subbers) have to listen and implement it for you, its their choice if they wanna do it or not .. Frankly I'm happy that they sub the drama plus its FREE on their own free time.. can't really complain rather have the sub than no sub at all.

now time to do what were here for ... to leech and watch :tv: some drama :D

Imazul

Post by Imazul » Jul 22nd, '07, 00:11

groink wrote: And BTW, the title of this topic includes the word "rant." That does actually mean he has a complaint.
Like I said in my own personal rant above, I was not speaking about this particular case but replying at your claim that all criticism should be forbidden.

Criticism is a necessary evil, most should be ignored because they are simply troll attempt, true. But, in there, there is often positive criticism that should not be overlooked because that is what keeps a community together.

Anyway, I will not debate this any further since I thunk I made my point.

Drama fans being afraid to talk to the fansubbers or the uploaders is a ridiculous notion. But I guess it is easier to ignore everyone rather than only the idiots.

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gixo » Jul 22nd, '07, 01:18

hmmm...constructive criticsm is ok and should be accepted by fansubbers. By constructive I mean giving reasons why sth could be improved. (Like subs are too small etc) However since most of the critics are often only complaints it's better to shut up as fansubbing is free. And if people are only complaining why should someone bother to continue. You know there were posts here in which someone attacked the encoding abilities of someone personally, complaining and whining about the bad quality. If someone is complaining about the quality he should at least be able to help to improve the quality. Someone who knows nothing about encoding has no right to complain. Encoding isn't really that easy. haha, I gave myself a try and my result was sooooo bad. Am really admiring all encoders for their abilites.

back to topic.
I also find it a little irritating to see so many different encoding varieties. I am not complaining as I like high quality and like anything which makes the quality/size better is great. I am also willing to buy new DVD players to enjoy a drama on TV if it's a really good drama. what I find irritating is that there are so many different varieties and after a few months new varities are coming out. I am not really a tech person. so finding new codecs and deinstalling the right ones (some codecs work against each other) is not that easy. Luckily there are codec packs however sometimes they don't have all codecs which I found out today. Now I have to find the right codec so that I can play that one file. I have the newest version of k-lite and still am not able to watch that certain file. Now I have to look for the missing codec. And I am not even sure where to start.
btw. what's the difference between mp4 and mp4 H264/X264. I am getting confused because so many files have the same ending and yet aren't the same. Just like avi could be DviX or Xvid etc.

PS: can someone recommend me a file which is encoded in mp4 H264/X264? As it seems to be the future encoding trend I want to get me the right DVD player. Wasn't that easy to find one which supports mp4, Dvix and Xvid but recently I saw a nice one. but since mp4 isn't mp4 I want to test it before buying that DVD-player. Haha, the shop assistant told me that it wouldn't be a prob to take my burned DVDs to the shop and give it a test before buying it.

FoolyDooly

Post by FoolyDooly » Jul 22nd, '07, 02:12

MP4 video is commonly known as AVC. It's nickname is H.264/x264. Just like MP3's Full name is MPEG 1/2 Part 3 (as I have mentioned), AVC is MPEG4 Part 10, with stronger coding. ASP (Advanced Simple Profile) is MPEG4 codec scheme part 2, which is weaker in turn, but what splitted into what we now know into DivX and XviD.

Just for the sidenote, MP4-AVC / H.264 is playable in X-Box 360 and PS3. (Or ANYTHING that supports AVI and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD for that matter)