External Harddrive isn't shown

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
Wattstax

External Harddrive isn't shown

Post by Wattstax » Oct 1st, '07, 05:24

I installed a new Philips external Harddrive. The PC regognized it and reported that installation was successful and I can use the Hardware. But the Harddrive is nowhere to be seen, neither in the Explorer nor elsewhere. I looked for a new driver on the Philips Homepage, but there weren't any. So what to do?

groink

Post by groink » Oct 1st, '07, 05:57

Are you looking for the drive letter of the new hard disk? What is the make/model of the PC? Is it a USB drive? And, assuming you're using Windows XP, did you check to see if the hard drive can be seen in Device Manager (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Device Manager)? Keep in mind that most hard drives come un-formatted and un-partitioned.

Other suggestions... Make sure you're connecting the drive to a USB 2.0 port - as 1.x ports have lousy downward compatibility. Plug the drive into a dedicated USB port; do NOT plug it into a USB hub unless the USB hub is powered.

--- groink

Wattstax

Post by Wattstax » Oct 1st, '07, 10:53

Thanks for the fast reply.
You are correct. I'm looking for the Drive Letter. Although the device manager is listing the hard drive as USB-Controller, it gets no drive letter.
I have no idea how to format a device, I can't see in the Explorer.
I can try your suggestion with an another USB-Hub later, although I'm afraid that my Laptop has only 1.0 USB. Right now I am not working but I am at work :D

I'm using a Toshiba Satelite P10 Laptop, Win XP (updated).

sambo135

Post by sambo135 » Oct 1st, '07, 11:09

try going to the start menu, and "run" once you open run, type "compmgmt.msc " without the " " once there under the storage section see if you see the harddrive, if you do then format it, it should work then, if you can't see it, i'm guess its cause it connected thru a hub like groink said, it could cause a problem sometimes

Wattstax

Post by Wattstax » Oct 1st, '07, 18:27

Hmm, it doesn't work. The Harddrive is not listed in the storage section. Seems to be the too old laptop then.

smiley6yrl

Post by smiley6yrl » Oct 1st, '07, 18:36

did you try connecting/installing it with another computer to see if the prob is with ur laptop or the hd? since i recently bought a seagate hd and it works great for both my laptop and computers..

groink

Post by groink » Oct 1st, '07, 19:16

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

This article explains how to create a partition.

--- groink

Wattstax

Post by Wattstax » Oct 2nd, '07, 04:21

smiley6yrl wrote:did you try connecting/installing it with another computer to see if the prob is with ur laptop or the hd? since i recently bought a seagate hd and it works great for both my laptop and computers..
Yep, I already tried it on another laptop but no difference.

@groink
Thank you. I will try these later.

yoda smgee

Post by yoda smgee » Oct 2nd, '07, 04:35

Is it not listed in the "Devices with Removable Storage" section of My Computer? You can click on one of the drives there and click the details button to the left to see if there's any storage space close to the size of your drive. If there is, that may be it.

Is your hard drive compatible with both usb types? Maybe it's because your laptop is usb 1 and the external is usb 2.

Wattstax

Post by Wattstax » Oct 2nd, '07, 14:58

After all this trouble I decided to return the harddrive and get me another one. Maybe I have more luck then. I keep you informed.

EDIT: Yes, the other Harddrive is perfectly working. So thank you guys.