Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Multimedia Hard Disk for watching files on TV

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Multimedia Hard Disk for watching files on TV

Post by gixo » Nov 24th, '07, 19:51

Hi,

I just got me a multimedia HD and I must say so far I am pretty impressed with it. It's like a external HD which you can connect to a PC but itcomes with its own players and is connactable to the TV via scart etc. So you can play files directly from your external HD on TV. I got a product from a no name brand as it comes with more features. It can play Xvid, Dvix, srt, ass, DVD files etc. I am not sure if it can play MP4 as I haven't tried it out yet. The video and audio are ok though I have a normal TV. So I am not sure how it looks if you want to connect it to a plasma TV. I think it's a pretty nice thing if you want to watch a drama only for once on TV and don't want to waste a DVD-R. Or maybe you are sick of burning or encoding (if your DVD player doesn't play srts). I paid about 200USD for mine. But I think the price is ok as it is able to play a lot of files and it can store about 500GB.

Just thought that some of you guys could consider to get a multimedia HD (maybe as a X-mas present).Especially all those guys who have problems with encoding or playing soft subs. :lol You can of course connect your PC to TV if you don't want to spend money for a multimedia HD. :lol

hmm...maybe some others who already got one could give us some inputs. There are actually quite a few multimedia HD from different brands on the market. And it wasn't that easy for me to decide which one I should get as there arent enough reviews for a lot of brands.

When I am done with testing all kinds of files I'll write a detailed review (that is if anyone is interested in)

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Nov 24th, '07, 23:43

sure go for it :) it'll play .mp4, but only if its a divx/xvid codec. very few i've seen with h.264

freezspirit

Post by freezspirit » Nov 25th, '07, 00:11

Actually I wouldn't mind reading your review of the multimedia hard drive, I'm currently deciding whether to buy a 500gb internal hd to replace the 2x200gb hd's or get another Buffalo 500gb external hd or like you go for a multimedia hd so that I can connect it up to my tv.

Although manufactures when they price something in us dollars when it hits the uk market they just change the $ sign for the £ sign, so $200 becomes £200 as they don't use the currency exchange rates, so they are getting more profits.

amabelle

Post by amabelle » Nov 25th, '07, 00:20

oh please doo! i didnt know thatt there is such thing. actually i have a 300gb external hard drive but its almost full so i am getting another one. i found another kind of HD 300gb for 80$ but i havent bought it yet.. but i prolly should because the units are limited. but tell me about this multimedia HD even though it might be expensive.. i would prefer getting that one instead. what is it called?
thanks!!!

wahh im getting excited. coz this might mean that i dont have to burn it on to dvd's. =)

groink

Post by groink » Nov 25th, '07, 00:24

Please merge this topic with the following:

How to watch video file on TV without having to burn on DVD?
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_51709_0.htm

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gixo » Dec 19th, '07, 15:59

ok guys. Haven't updated this thread yet. First, I made a mistake about the price. Since the Euro is so high right now, the price is more sth like 220-230USD (150 Euro).

Pro
can play Dvix, Xvid and MP4.
Can play srt (even if it doesn't have the same name as the avi-file, so you can chose btw. more than 1 language if they are available)
DVD rips are played as if you have a normal DVD (menu etc. all appears)

Contra:
relatively high price
not enough known yet (making it hard to compare products)
doesn't support h264

And these are negative aspects which might only occur for my Media HD.
the controller doesn't have such a great range
have to press the power button whenever disconnecting from the PC

These negative aspects I have might not exist if you buy another brand.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Dec 19th, '07, 22:16

wow, not bad! nice to see multiple subtitle support. i like that h264 player from the other thread (supports multiple profiles)