[Tutorial] OpenNap and Utatane

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
Fuurin

[Tutorial] OpenNap and Utatane

Post by Fuurin » Jan 31st, '08, 07:10

Regular members here have probably noticed doink-chan, Ladymercury or shou talking about how they have downloaded a new or rare drama from OpenNap using Utatane, so I thought someone should post a FAQ. OpenNap is basically an updated version of the old Napster protocol. Even the largest OpenNap servers only have 2500 users on at a time, but they have become important because they are the main gathering place for Japanese drama rippers and the biggest collectors. There is an English version of Utatane available, but you will need a bit of Japanese to label your own collection, read titles, and chat with the users you want to trade with.

The largest public servers in Japan are Zerosen ゼロ戦, Magicant, ENDLESS, ONT2ch, INC, Zero and Kujira くじら. They each have different rules, but all servers accept the use of the Utatane client to connect. (Many of them ban WinMX 3.x, but some will accept WinMX 2.6). Utatane is Windows based. (For Mac, try Mameya available on the Zerosen web site. For Linux, try Xnap or Lopster).

To start, go to Rillonap, and download Utatane 0.253 English.

http://we.servep2p.com:90/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a

Unzip, and install the file. Open the Utatane folder under Program Files, and then click on Utatane Manual.chm. This opens an illustrated English help file which shows you how to get set up.

It seems that Utatane is a non-Unicode program, so you may have to change your Regional and Language Options in order to view Japanese. If you are using Windows XP, there are several settings that need to be changed:

To install the fonts, and add the code pages:
Regional and Language Options - Languages tab - tick the box next to "Install files for East Asian languages." You will need to have a Windows XP CD with the "lang" folder on it in order to install.

Regional and Language Options - Languages tab - Click Details under "Text services and input languages" - Advanced tab - tick the box next to "Extend support for advanced text services to all programs"

Regional and Language Options - Advanced tab - set the "Language for non-Unicode programs" to the CJK language you want.

Windows 2000 and Vista have similar settings. After this in Windows Explorer and dialog boxes, back slashes will appear as yen marks, but this is the only change you are likely to notice. Alternatively, you could try the Microsoft Applocale Utility to switch back and forth between languages on the fly (although one user reports that using Applocale seems to disable the sorting function in the search window of Utatane).

The next step is to open up Utatane, right click in the main Servers window, and choose Add. Input server names, addresses, ports and the redirect settings for the top 10 servers or so from here:

http://kosaba.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

I should note that Zerosen has four addresses, so add these to a single Zerosen heading using the "Add" button in the bottom left-hand corner of the "Add a New Server" dialog. Utatane will automatically switch between the different addresses.

Before you go online, you'll need to open up a port for Utatane on your firewall. In Utatane, click on Setting, then Servers, input a Login Name and Password, set your connection type, and note down the port you are listening on for incoming TCP connections. This should be a 5 digit number. Some port numbers such as 8844 are blocked by some servers, but if you choose a higher number, they should let you on. Open your firewall, and then open that same port. For example, if you are using the Windows XP SP2 firewall, click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions, and then Add Port, ie. the same number as listed in Utatane. If you are using a router, check its manual for how to open ports.

Another thing you need to do is get your collection into presentable shape. Everyone you try to download from is going to be browsing your files, and if they can't find something they want they will just leave you sitting in queue forever. You can share files named in English, but you need to append a short word in brackets at the beginning describing the genre, eg. (Asia), (IV), (movie), (PV) or (TV). It is better not to share incomplete files, single jpgs or files with unmeaningful file names. If you have a small hard drive, you should probably make txt file dummy files of all the videos you have saved to DVD-R.

Try to share as much content as possible because some servers and big traders have 200 file and/or 50-100GB minimums. Once you are all organized, add the files to the Share window in Utatane.

Also under Setting, Transfer, set your incoming folder, making sure this is different from your Shared folders. Under Setting, Message, stick in a wav file to alert you when someone has sent you a message (There are wav files you can use in the folders for Windows Live Messenger or ICQ).

Once you are all set up, go back to the Server screen, and click on "Link All." Some of the servers take a while to scan all the files in your Share folders, so they may initially send you error messages saying you don't have enough files. Hang in there though, and eventually five or six of them should let you connect.

Next we are off to the NewSearch screen. Type in a title, actress name or genre, and hit Search. You'll get a long list of files with the user and the server they're on. Once you find a file you want, browse what files he has, and then send him a PM.

こんばんは。
Konban wa.
Good evening.

After you have PMed them, wait a second to see if they send you an auto-response. If you can't read Japanese, copy, and paste it into an online translator such as the one on Google to try to figure out what it says. Often it will tell you if he is offline, or what files he is looking for. Then send him another PM recommending some of your own videos that he might be interested in.

あのー、のだめカンタービレを持っていますよ。交換しませんか。
Anoo, Nodame Kantaabire wo motte imasu yo. Koukan shimasen ka.
Um, I have Nodame Kantaabire. Do you want to trade?

Even if you get no response, you can still enter their queue by right clicking on the file, and choosing Download.

Then you go looking for other files. The servers prohibit you from requesting 2 files from the same user, or the same file from 2 different users who are both on the same server. You can however request the same file from a different user on a different server, so pay attention to what servers people are on. It also seems to me that you can only queue up about five files on each server before they start sending you error messages, so try to spread your downloads out among the different servers.

Weekday evenings after 9 o'clock Japanese time are a good time to catch traders at home. The number of users will swing up above 2000 and you will get a lot of responses. Weekends are also good. Some generous users allow random users to download files automatically, but most people will browse your shares first, and add a file to your upload queue at the bottom of the Xfer window as a sign that they want to trade. Click on his file to start him, and then right click on both the upload and download, and choose Auto Complete, so it'll reconnect if broken off. It is quite common to add each other to your Hot list, and allot each other an free upload of one file at a time. Do this by clicking on Hot List, right click on the name of user you are trading with, choosing "Add to Hot List," and then set "Auto User" to 1.

優先ユーザに追加しましたよ。どうぞよろしくお願いします。
Yuusen yuuza ni tsuika shimashita yo. Douzo yoroshiku onegai shimasu.
I've added you to my Auto-users list. Please be kind to me.

The etiquette is that you will both stay online until both downloads are finished, but they may ask you just to be sure. If you have to go offline for any reason you may want to reassure them.

一回切れますけど、後で続けましょう。
Ikkai kiremasu kedo, ato de tsuzukemashou.
I'm going offline for a moment, but let's continue after.

If you already have a couple of uploads in progress though, it is a good idea not to go searching for more until those finish because users on T3 especially will complain.

You can also set Utatane to autostart uploads for people you are sitting in the download queue of: Settings - Transfers - Start Counter Queue. On the Queuing dialog, you can set maximum number of uploads for regular and Auto Users, but make sure these numbers are high enough to cover Auto Starts; otherwise you'll just keep timing them out.

If you have technical questions about Utatane's features or OpenNap in general, Smokerillo runs a support forum for Utatane at Rillonap.

Foxxy_Fuyumi

Post by Foxxy_Fuyumi » Sep 23rd, '08, 22:30

I installed and did evrything the only things is the japanese characters. i dont have the cd to install the asian characters you know? what i do?

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Sep 30th, '08, 06:49

Foxxy_Fuyumi wrote:I installed and did evrything the only things is the japanese characters. i dont have the cd to install the asian characters you know? what i do?
If you are running Windows 2000, XP or Vista, the fonts and such are on the Microsoft Windows CD that came with your computer in a folder called "lang."

hibiYa

Post by hibiYa » Oct 13th, '08, 09:13

your tutorial works great fuurin =) thanks!

Foxxy_Fuyumi

Post by Foxxy_Fuyumi » Apr 6th, '09, 17:45

How we say "single" and "album" in japanese pls?
Is there a specifically server where to get unrelased songs and stuff?

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Apr 6th, '09, 17:57

Foxxy_Fuyumi wrote:How we say "single" and "album" in japanese pls?
Is there a specifically server where to get unrelased songs and stuff?
Discography: ディスコグラフィ
Single: シングル
Album: アルバム
Mini-album: ミニアルバム
Video DVD: ビデオ・DVD
Radio: ラジオ
Game: ゲーム

Foxxy_Fuyumi

Post by Foxxy_Fuyumi » Apr 6th, '09, 18:03

and Song please? LOL Sorry for boring you xD

Also How I can make a conversation in japanese like,
"I want a song you have named XXX. Be kind to me please."

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Apr 6th, '09, 18:07

Song is: うた
it can also be this kanji: 唄 or 歌
I'm sorry I can't help you with the sentence, I'm not that good with Japanese.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Apr 9th, '09, 22:05

Which is best to do to completely rename files names to Japanese or for example write partly of it in Japanese/English like this:
(アルバム) Nakajima Miyuki - East Asia.zip

Foxxy_Fuyumi

Post by Foxxy_Fuyumi » Apr 10th, '09, 12:25

Since I downloaded Utatane (one week ago) I havent downloaded anything. I try to talk with the people in japanese but they dont answear and I never download anything... what I caN DO?

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Aug 4th, '09, 03:59

Foxxy_Fuyumi wrote:Since I downloaded Utatane (one week ago) I havent downloaded anything. I try to talk with the people in japanese but they dont answear and I never download anything... what I caN DO?
I think I mentioned this in my tutorial, but first of all you should try to go online just as people are getting home from work 9 p.m. Japan time or around noon on Saturdays or Sundays. Also it helps if you are sharing a large number of files similar to what you are looking for labeled in a way that Japanese people can understand. Also some people don't talk much. You just PM them once telling them what you are looking for, and then get in queue.

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Aug 4th, '09, 04:01

Keiko1981 wrote:Which is best to do to completely rename files names to Japanese or for example write partly of it in Japanese/English like this:
(アルバム) Nakajima Miyuki - East Asia.zip
In general, the more Japanese you use, the better. People are using the search engine to look for specific files, and if your files are all named in romaji they won't find them.

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Aug 4th, '09, 04:05

Foxxy_Fuyumi wrote:and Song please? LOL Sorry for boring you xD
Also How I can make a conversation in japanese like,
"I want a song you have named XXX. Be kind to me please."
Song is 曲 kyoku.
「なになに」という曲に興味があるんですけど、お願いできませんか。
"naninani" to iu kyoku ni kyoumi ga aru n desu kedo, onegai dekimasen ka.

FrEEwilL

Post by FrEEwilL » Aug 8th, '09, 20:27

I have some questions

i've seen "IM blah blah" a lot. i just guess it stands for instant message. am i right ?
do i have to send IM and wait for a reply before queueing?
AND do i have to do it for every users and every single file even for another DL from the same user?

also i always got endless "wait for link / retry" for some users.
what does it mean and what do i have to do ?
(edit: it isn't the case that user is offline.)

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 9th, '09, 08:27

Some users on Utatane are basically distros, they provide raws without the need to request. But 9/10 you have to barter to get a file, which can be troublesome and annoying -- Especially if you don't know Japanese.

When you request, even if you don't get a reply, at least it is made. A lot of the times the auto response is basically telling you " No IM = No Q "

Queuing before requesting can sometimes mean an automatic ban. So always ask before you take.

The wait for link/retry is a connection issue. Check your ports, and if not, its on their side.

blackmoral

Post by blackmoral » Jan 7th, '10, 16:28

Okay, my non-unicode setting in is set to Japanese but I am still seeing little black dots as the characters when I type any Japanese in the software. Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

Dorama-kun

Post by Dorama-kun » Jan 20th, '10, 02:02

Does anyone know any 'nice' users on Zerosen or Kujira that don't require bartering of files?

Flow_Machow

Post by Flow_Machow » Oct 22nd, '10, 15:38

HEY can anyone help me ? i've been baned from kujira server for me the best server and the admin i think telled about me to the other servers the reason was that im not japanese I dont know wot to do. I tried reconnect my ip and change the nickname but still ban

please i cant live whitout utatane tell me the solution and instructions

i have dynamic ip (neostrada) and router(livebox)

colosher-x5

Post by colosher-x5 » Jun 27th, '11, 06:05

hi, i install the software but i dont know how to share it or download from other
all my file are in the share foldar but im not sharing it anything !! is there an server that teach you how to do an transfer ? can anyone help me to do an exchange pm me plz thanks

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » May 25th, '12, 21:05

I'm having searching Japanese titles, I just see question marks. (Using Win7).
I have installed so I can write and view Japanese in the web browser.

Edit Got it to work. Made some changes under Control Panel -> Languange -> Changed to Japanese under which languange should be used for programs that doesn't suppored unicode.

aofd3

Post by aofd3 » Aug 6th, '12, 10:37

Have a problem =(
I can download files from other users

When someone try to get one of my files they cant download it...
In Xfer in the upload screen they try to connect "Linking..." and after a time its "Time out"
I open all ports, set all right (i think)
It costs me now some hours but i rly cant get the upload working for others

Fuurin

Re: [Tutorial] OpenNap and Utatane

Post by Fuurin » Apr 30th, '19, 13:39

I've updated my Utatane Guide on my blog:

File Sharing in Japan