[Tutorial] Share (p2p application)

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
Fuurin

[Tutorial] Share (p2p application)

Post by Fuurin » Feb 1st, '08, 18:04

Share is a Japanese peer-to-peer file sharing client and network for Windows based on a similar model to the English Freenet and Japanese Winny. Share is especially good for getting the latest Jdramas in RAW form, as they seem to be released here before BitTorrent, and the downloads are usually quite fast. Share may be easier for people who do not read Japanese to use than OpenNap because there is no need to negotiate transfers, and one can use hash values to search for files. As many western ISPs have taken to throttling bandwidth for WinMX, BitTorrent and eMule, you may be able to escape this through the use of Share.

The official homepage for Share is apparently hosted on Freenet 0.5, but you can download the latest version of Share, EX2, from Tom Maneiro's Spanish Share site. I have attached English locale and hint files for you to download below. Create a Share folder in Program Files, unzip Share EX2 to there, and then replace the locale and hint files. If you get a runtime error when starting the program, run msconfig, untick your antivirus and firewall applications, restart Windows, start Share EX2 and then turn your antivirus and firewall back on.

First, click on Settings, Clusters, and type in five words that describe the type of file you are trying to download. For example, you could add some combination of ドラマ, TV, テレビ, avi, mpg, DVDISO or even the names of specific j-dramas. Click in the boxes next to your favourite five, and then click OK.

Next, Settings, Profile, Settings, type in a Nickname and Password, and click "change key." This will set your ID. On the Network tab, input your upstream and downstream limits. You have to set both for a minimum of 50KB/s, but actually the main thing this seems to affect is the reported speed in the nodes window. Share has no internal bandwidth throttle. There isn't even a way to break the connection with a node.

On the same dialog box, the port number should be five digits, and you will need to open up the same port on any software or router firewall you have running. If you are using the Windows XP SP2 firewall, click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions and then Add Port, ie. the same number as listed in Share - Settings - Network. EX2 is TCP only, so you don't have to worry about UDP. You can leave Performance, Action and Quota the way they are. Hit OK.

Next, you need a node list. A node is just the encrypted IP address of a computer running Share. You actually need only one active node, and then Share will automatically download the rest and store them in the nodes.db file. Nodes keep going offline, so you should try to get as fresh a list as possible. Tom Maneiro keeps one, and mudijp has a Japanese list. Node list web sites tend to come, and go, so you might need to run a search for "Share" and ノード on Google. Be sure to use EX2 nodes if you are running the TCP version. The UDP version NT2 has its own nodes. Copy, and paste the nodes into Notepad, and save the file as nodes.txt into the Share folder. On the Nodes tab, click "Add node," then "Load from file," browse to your nodes.txt file, and select it. Click "Add" and then "Close." Don't connect yet.

In Windows Explorer, in the Share folder, create two more folders, one called "Cache" and the other called "Download." Back in Share, switch to the Folders tab, click "Add folder," and add your new Cache and Download folders, setting a minimum quota of 4GBs for cache. For "Upload," browse to, and select the folder where your videos are stored. Unlike eMule or BitTorrent, you can easily share your complete collection. It takes a while for Share to check all your folders, so maybe you should work on something else until it's done.

Once you are all ready, restart Share, and then on the Nodes screen, click connect. It will start trying each of the nodes in your list till it finds an active one, and then start downloading others, and checking them too. It may take a while for it to find nodes related to your interests, but once you have a node that stays connected for a while you can start setting up triggers to find the files you are interested in.

Next, you need to set up some triggers for files you want to download. You can search for hashes yourself in online hash databases like keydb.info or sharedb.info. If you have the hash for the file you want, click on the Triggers tab, "Add Trigger" and then paste the hash value into the Hash field, leaving "Add to DB only" unticked. You might want to set a minimum file size of 100 MBs to screen out text dummies or a maximum of 2000 MBs if you want to exclude ISOs. Click "Add." As soon as Share finds the file, it will automatically add it to your Download window and start downloading. Share can only search for a limited number of triggers at a time, so don't create too many.

If you don't have a hash for the file you want, you can set up a trigger to get Share to add relevant search results to your DB. First, on the Triggers tab, click "Add Trigger," type words from the title into the Keyword blank, untick the "Delete matching query triggers" box, and add a tick to the "Add to DB only" box. Now Share will search the DB of all the nodes it connects to for that keyword, adding any matching filenames and hashes to your own DB. If you want to run an auto-download trigger, make sure you delete any "DB only" trigger with the same keywords. Otherwise, Share will just add the filename to the DB rather than starting the download.

Once you have added results to your DB, click on the Queries tab, and search your DB. Orange files are the easiest to download, white is neutral, light blue are the ones you are already downloading, and dark blue the ones in your upload folder. Red files are thought to be fakes. If you find a file you want, right-click on it, and choose "Add to Download."

In the Download window, you can follow the progress of your downloads. Order indicates the number of people in the queue ahead of you, and Status tells you the number of pieces that Share has managed to locate. Highest priority is given to the file numbered 0, but you can increase or decrease the priority by right-clicking on the file. The Tasks window shows you what files are being downloaded at the moment. When the download is complete, Share will convert it from Cache into a playable video, make a note in Tasks, and it will show up in your Download folder.

Share is always uploading files from your upload folders to neighbouring nodes through Diffuse Up (which you can see in your Nodes window), but you can choose particular videos which you want to share, and push them along. One approach is to go to the Uploads tab, and turn on Turbo. This pauses your downloads, and causes Share to upload to only one or two other nodes. Go to Queries, run a Search for one of your own files, right-click on it, and choose "Add to upload." After the file has been uploaded to another node, the filename should turn orange in Queries, and you can shut off Turbo. To further spread the file, you can right click on it in Queries, and choose Convert. This will add the complete file to your cache, from where it will be uploaded to neighbouring nodes via Diffuse Up. You should be careful with this Convert function though because if you've set a low quota for your cache folder, Share may inadvertently delete part of the files you have already downloaded. If you want to shut down Share, but haven't finished the upload, you might want to move the file out of your uploads folder, so that when Share restarts, it won't ignore the parts of the file still in its cache.

You can ask questions about Share on the Winny/Share Download BBS.
Attachments
hint.txt
(49.49 KiB) Downloaded 4494 times
locale.txt
(36.98 KiB) Downloaded 5313 times
Last edited by Fuurin on Feb 19th, '08, 16:36, edited 3 times in total.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Feb 2nd, '08, 02:06

Share is pretty outdated. It's probably unsafe as well.

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Feb 2nd, '08, 03:52

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:
"Share is pretty outdated. It's probably unsafe as well."

Share is probably one of the newest of the P2P applications that are popular in Japan. Share EX2 came out in 2006. The last release of Winny was in 2003, and both WinMX 3.54 and Utatane 1.04.3 came out in 2004.

I haven't had any security problems with Share at all - no viruses, no fake files, no hacker attacks, nothing. Why do you think it is unsafe?

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Feb 2nd, '08, 04:03

Yes, it is relatively new but last time I looked into it, there were very few users left. Can you tell me when it was last updated?

Fuurin

Latest version of Share

Post by Fuurin » Feb 2nd, '08, 10:07

Share EX2 was released on April 1st, 2006.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "few users left." According to the RIAJ's estimates, there were about 200000 people using Share in 2006, and that jumped to about a half a million in 2007. I'm not sure if the numbers can continue to double like that, but in any case, if anything, there are more people using Share these days not less.

Also, OpenNap sort of proves that it is not really the number of users that matters. Even at the best of times, there are not more than 2500 users on the Zerosen server, but they continue to have all the newest releases and the widest range of J-dramas of any network. New releases seem to spread out from Utatane to other networks, although there do seem to be some releasers on Share as well. With enough sources, you can get amazing download speeds on Share, faster than BitTorrent on my machine anyway.
Last edited by Fuurin on Feb 6th, '08, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Feb 2nd, '08, 16:59

Hmm, guess all of the RAW files I got from Share are all unsafe. I will go start deleting them right now!!! :P

PS, I try to use Perfect Dark, but couldn't get anything in a timely manner.

Fuurin

Viruses and Perfect Dark

Post by Fuurin » Feb 2nd, '08, 17:18

As with any software, you should scan it for viruses before installing, and make sure that it is the official version of Share released by 村長. There are reports of course that some naive users in Japan installed infected versions of Winny (and Share?), and paid the price, but if you are careful, you should be fine.

Perfect Dark appeared in the RIAJ's survey for the first time last year, but it still has a really small user base. I've read reports from people who are using both that Share continues to have a wider variety of videos. It is hard to say what the future will bring, but for now anyway, Share continues to be one of the best sources for new J-dramas.

artage

Post by artage » Feb 26th, '08, 20:40

Thanks for the guide and the speed is indeed very fast. :D
I was wondering is it possible to force convert an incomplete file? I have a video that is close to finished but under status I don't have all the blocks. It's been that way for weeks so I doubt I can finish the file and just want to watch what I downloaded.

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Feb 27th, '08, 00:35

>I was wondering is it possible to force convert an incomplete file? I have a video that is
>close to finished but under status I don't have all the blocks. It's been that way for weeks
>so I doubt I can finish the file and just want to watch what I downloaded.

In the Download window, right click on the file, and choose convert. In the Task pane, you can follow the progress. If you get any corrupted blocks, you can try using a plugin like ForcedFileConverter. Set up a trigger for the following hash:

5bcaac130357e0d6f69485ca38a478eca307a600

and you might want to include the word アプリ amongst your cluster words to make sure you connect. There are other plugins too like CacheDumpEx, but I haven't used them yet.

Rotk

Post by Rotk » Apr 9th, '08, 16:35

Hello

I've downloaded and tried share program but failed to get the search function to work or search anything

- I've opened the ports on my router and firewall and set up up/download bandwidth
- made a cache, upload, and download folder
- paste the name of the stuff i'm searching for into my clusters
- and on the site http://www.anonymous-p2p.org/tutorial_share.html on step #2 it says "Download the English locale / hint / readme / info files from Uguu.org and overwrite the files in your Share folder.", i'm not sure what it means but I've overwrite the old previous text in those files by copy and pasting the bunch of text from the link into those files(locale, hint, readme, and inf) and and then save those 4 files.

Please help me anyone, I've been trying to get this program to work for days but still failed. :( And please forgive me for my awkward tone.

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Apr 16th, '08, 11:50

Rotk wrote:I've downloaded and tried share program but failed to get the search function to work or search anything.
- paste the name of the stuff i'm searching for into my clusters
Have you read my tutorial sitting at the top of this thread? Are you getting Search and Diffuse nodes on your Nodes screen? Have you included the word ドラマ among your clusters?
- and on the site http://www.anonymous-p2p.org/tutorial_share.html on step #2 it says "Download the English locale / hint / readme / info files from Uguu.org and overwrite the files in your Share folder.", i'm not sure what it means but I've overwrite the old previous text in those files by copy and pasting the bunch of text from the link into those files(locale, hint, readme, and inf) and and then save those 4 files.
The same locale and hint files are attached to my tutorial. You don't have to paste, just replace the old files with the new. When you open up Share, are all the menu items in English?

Rotk

Post by Rotk » Apr 19th, '08, 18:51

Hehe got my problem fixed, realized I added the wrong set of nodes. (accidently added EX2 nodes for my NT5 Share :P )

sanjiu

Post by sanjiu » Apr 21st, '08, 23:03

wow great guide, thanks!

however, i've recently been having a problem where my share is connecting to nodes just fine, but after a few minutes it'll suddenly disconnect from all of them. this has been happening frequently even though i update my nodelist constantly. any idea what's wrong?

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Apr 22nd, '08, 00:05

sanjiu wrote:wow great guide, thanks!

however, i've recently been having a problem where my share is connecting to nodes just fine, but after a few minutes it'll suddenly disconnect from all of them. this has been happening frequently even though i update my nodelist constantly. any idea what's wrong?
I started using Share yesterday and had that problem all afternoon. Going through topics on the Winny/Share Download BBS linked above and googling for any other info, it seems a lot of people have been experiencing this disconnect issue, both new users and those who've been using it without incident until recently. As far as I can tell, the problem for me was a router issue, but I'm still not quite sure. I finally made sure I had ports forwarded in both the firewall and the router, then shut off my firewall (though I hate doing that), rebooted and opened Share, and suddenly I was staying connected. Turned the firewall back on and I stayed connected late into the night until I finally had to shut down to seed a drama ep here. Fired it up this morning and have had no connect issues. You may have already tried all that, but thought I'd offer my experience for what it's worth since I just went through it. :-) I hope you get it going soon.

And, fuurin, thank you for this concise, easy to follow tutorial that got me started! It took away the intimidation factor of using it and got me going almost immediately (the disconnect issue is something I think everyone has to work out with their own equipment/resources for the most part... as someone on this forum is fond of saying, "google is your friend" :P ). I'm looking forward to working with it & learning more.

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Apr 29th, '08, 22:20

Toyotaku, glad you found my tutorial helpful.

I haven't experienced the disconnect issue, but you are right that it is does sound like something related to sanjiu's and your firewall/router. Share is a bit sensitive to firewall issues, so much so that I have to disconnect from the internet, and shut down my firewall when I want to start up Share. Once Share is loaded, I can restart my firewall, and it works fine.

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Apr 29th, '08, 22:33

Fuurin wrote:Share is a bit sensitive to firewall issues, so much so that I have to disconnect from the internet, and shut down my firewall when I want to start up Share. Once Share is loaded, I can restart my firewall, and it works fine.
Glad you shared that... will remember it. I started having "port error" disconnects yesterday after no problems since that first day. I was ready to start suspecting my ISP. :) Took me a while, but finally got it back running. Next time I have an issue, I'll start by trying the firewall shutdown first.

sanjiu

Post by sanjiu » May 1st, '08, 00:08

i have my firewall turned off and everything configured in the router. i even deleted and reinstalled share, but i still can't stay connected to the nodes for more than a minute before being disconnected. not sure what i should do now.

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » May 1st, '08, 00:49

sanjiu wrote:i have my firewall turned off and everything configured in the router. i even deleted and reinstalled share, but i still can't stay connected to the nodes for more than a minute before being disconnected. not sure what i should do now.
Don't know what system you're on or what kinds of protection you have enabled, but I'm on XP and here's what I had to do to stay connected. Maybe it'll give you some further ideas of what to check for in your case...
  • - Window Security Center --> Manage security for Window Firewall --> Exceptions --> Add Program --> browsed for the Share.exe file & added
    - Followed the same path to add the port as an exception (set to TCP)
    - Network & Internet Connections --> Network Connections --> Internet Gateway --> Properties --> Settings --> Add Service --> filled in the information needed to set up service (Share) settings, again set to TCP
    - Because I have Windows Defender running, I then had to give permission for the change to go into effect (other virus/malware protection you have may also need you to permit the change)... this is the step I tend to forget :)
    - Disabled the firewall, rebooted, opened Share, then turned the firewall back on.

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » May 2nd, '08, 22:41

sanjiu, after letting Share run for 5 or 10 minutes, are you getting a Search or Diffuse node? When you click on Show Sleep nodes, how many nodes do you get? Are you sure you are using EX2 nodes with Share EX2 and not NT5 nodes? The two are incompatible. Do you have ドラマ among your five cluster words?

downtownfan

Post by downtownfan » May 3rd, '08, 04:12

I'm having the same problem as Sanjiu, no matter what I do after 10 seconds the nodes disconnect. It doesn't say disconnect or anything, they just all go away. Then when I click on Show Sleep nodes there are many. I'm using EX2 nodes and running Share EX2. I disabled my firewall so I'm not sure what to do. I've never had any luck with these P2P programs......

downtownfan

Post by downtownfan » May 3rd, '08, 04:46

I figured it out. I thought it must be a port issue so I Network & Internet connections as instructed above and noticed that all my other software ports were 4 digits and not 5. So I just took a digit off the port number in Share and it worked!

sanjiu

Post by sanjiu » May 4th, '08, 11:46

toyotaku wrote:
sanjiu wrote:i have my firewall turned off and everything configured in the router. i even deleted and reinstalled share, but i still can't stay connected to the nodes for more than a minute before being disconnected. not sure what i should do now.
Don't know what system you're on or what kinds of protection you have enabled, but I'm on XP and here's what I had to do to stay connected. Maybe it'll give you some further ideas of what to check for in your case...
  • - Window Security Center --> Manage security for Window Firewall --> Exceptions --> Add Program --> browsed for the Share.exe file & added
    - Followed the same path to add the port as an exception (set to TCP)
    - Network & Internet Connections --> Network Connections --> Internet Gateway --> Properties --> Settings --> Add Service --> filled in the information needed to set up service (Share) settings, again set to TCP
    - Because I have Windows Defender running, I then had to give permission for the change to go into effect (other virus/malware protection you have may also need you to permit the change)... this is the step I tend to forget :)
    - Disabled the firewall, rebooted, opened Share, then turned the firewall back on.
where is the Internet Gateway? i cannot find it in Network Connections and going to Properties for the three things that i have (1394 Connection, Local Area Connection, Wireless Network Connection) doesn't give me a Settings option

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » May 5th, '08, 03:21

^^ sanjiu, you're now beyond my ability. I do a lot of googling and clicking on things to figure out how to get stuff to work for me, so anything different from what I know worked is the blind leading the blind. :-) I'm always willing to share how I got something to work because others have done the same that's led me to my solutions, bu obviously your situation is different from mine. Someone with more varied computer experience will have to help you at this point. Sorry. I hope someone out there will see this & is able to help you out.

sanjiu

Post by sanjiu » May 7th, '08, 22:07

toyotaku wrote:^^ sanjiu, you're now beyond my ability. I do a lot of googling and clicking on things to figure out how to get stuff to work for me, so anything different from what I know worked is the blind leading the blind. :-) I'm always willing to share how I got something to work because others have done the same that's led me to my solutions, bu obviously your situation is different from mine. Someone with more varied computer experience will have to help you at this point. Sorry. I hope someone out there will see this & is able to help you out.
my Share suddenly started working again. i have no idea why it suddenly fixed itself, but thank you so much for helping me.

Kyuubil

Post by Kyuubil » May 12th, '08, 00:51

I've been using share for ages, have no problems downloading, etc, but never had a chance to ask someone else on this -- alot of times, i'll download a file, bigger it is, the more common, and it'll finish, start converting, and find a random block corrupted, so it will check for errors, redownload the block.. and find the same block corrupt again, if left alone will do this forever, never finishing...

You know of any way to fix that?

Fuurin

Conversion

Post by Fuurin » May 22nd, '08, 09:27

Kyuubil wrote:I've been using share for ages, have no problems downloading, etc, but never had a chance to ask someone else on this -- alot of times, i'll download a file, bigger it is, the more common, and it'll finish, start converting, and find a random block corrupted, so it will check for errors, redownload the block.. and find the same block corrupt again, if left alone will do this forever, never finishing... You know of any way to fix that?
I'm not sure, but have you tried the plugin CacheDumpEx? It is supposed to convert despite corrupt blocks. If the original upload was corrupt though, there is probably not much you can do.

oDy_cute

Post by oDy_cute » Jun 18th, '08, 11:37

really thanks for your tutorial =)
was looking for this one on japanese site and i got really confused T___T
bytheway, may i ask u a question?
after i put a trigger (i got the hash from sharedb) but nothing happened (nothing new appeared on my download box..)
its that mean that the file i want is no longer there?
or should i wait longer?

really thanks for your help...

emil775

Post by emil775 » Jun 18th, '08, 18:28

Hey!

Thanks for the tutorial... I got it to work. Now that computer died (hahaha....) and I'm trying to install it on this computer, but the link for the Spanish Site doesn't work anymore!

What do I do?

Thanks

Edit: For others struggling to find a copy of Share, I found one http://www.de-referer.com/?http://www.m ... d=2O3XZ3EV there

Enjoy!

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Jun 25th, '08, 10:51

>after i put a trigger (i got the hash from sharedb) but nothing happened (nothing new >appeared on my download box..) its that mean that the file i want is no longer there?
>or should i wait longer?

Do you have the word ドラマ is among your cluster words? When was the hash posted on Sharedb? If it's within the last month, it might be worth waiting, but if not, you should maybe try to look for a newer hash. Run a DB-only trigger for a keyword from the filename, then run a Search under Queries for the same keyword. Click on Date to bring the most recent hashes to the top, and try one of those.

>but the link for the Spanish Site doesn't work anymore!

It works fine for me. If it's being blocked, you could try using a proxy.

benihime

Post by benihime » Aug 18th, '08, 07:01

i'm having a problem connecting to nodes

i even tried turning off my firewall for a second but it says:

Type: DOWN
direction: DOWN

i'm so confused last time i tried this i connected to a few...

SuperVictoria64

Post by SuperVictoria64 » Aug 20th, '08, 06:33

I'm sort of dumb when it comes to computers, so... I'm not quite understanding the whole Share process. I'm having an issue. I've added keywords into "Add Trigger," but whenever I search, it only shows me what I have on my computer. It does not allow me to download anything new. Here is a screenshot...

http://i35.tinypic.com/ffbhfs.png

ドラマ is among my cluster words, but I did not checkmark it. Should it be checkmarked? I currently have five different words checkmarked.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I don't even understand what a "hash" really is... :( I'm sorry if I seem really stupid.

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Aug 25th, '08, 06:13

benihime wrote:i'm having a problem connecting to nodes
i even tried turning off my firewall for a second but it says:
Type: DOWN
direction: DOWN
i'm so confused last time i tried this i connected to a few...
What does it say on your log screen? Have you opened up the port listed in Share settings on your firewall and/or router TCP in and out? Are you using a recent node list?

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Aug 25th, '08, 06:18

SuperVictoria64 wrote:I'm sort of dumb when it comes to computers, so... I'm not quite understanding the whole Share process. I'm having an issue. I've added keywords into "Add Trigger," but whenever I search, it only shows me what I have on my computer. It does not allow me to download anything new. Here is a screenshot...

http://i35.tinypic.com/ffbhfs.png
In your Status bar, it says 0 up and 0 down, so I would guess that you are not connected. What does it say on your Log Screen?
ドラマ is among my cluster words, but I did not checkmark it. Should it be checkmarked? I currently have five different words checkmarked. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
You need to put a tick mark next to ドラマ at the very least. 映画、DVDISO and avi might help as well.
I don't even understand what a "hash" really is... :( I'm sorry if I seem really stupid.
A hash is a string of numbers and letters that uniquely identifies each video on the network. It allows you and Share to find files even if the second uploader has renamed the file.

SuperVictoria64

Post by SuperVictoria64 » Aug 26th, '08, 00:36

^ Thanks!
Fuurin wrote:In your Status bar, it says 0 up and 0 down, so I would guess that you are not connected. What does it say on your Log Screen?
I see this:

Fuurin

Post by Fuurin » Aug 26th, '08, 18:34

SuperVictoria64 wrote:^ Thanks!
I see this:
Does it say "Global IP resolved" down at the bottom? If it does, you are connected. Here are a few node sites if you need fresher nodes:

http://share.mudaijp.com/
http://p2p-db.net/share/
http://share.benri-tool.net/index.html

tsubasakun

Post by tsubasakun » Oct 14th, '08, 02:53

Has anyone been sued or arrested from using Share?

Also, is it the uploader who get's sued, or the downloader? or both?

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Oct 14th, '08, 05:49

Yes (arrested I think), atleast in Japan. I recently read an article about someone getting arested in Kyoto for distributing anime. I believe it's probably the uploader getting in trouble.

I'm sure other people can expand a lot more on this but just in case no one else responds, there ya go.

Fuurin

Share arrests

Post by Fuurin » Oct 17th, '08, 08:54

May 9, 2008, the Kyoto police arrested three men, a 34 year old from Kawasaki, a 41 year old from Tokyo and a 21 year old university student from Hiroshima. All three were accused of recording TV anime produced by Sunrise (in two cases Gundam) and uploading them to Share soon after they were broadcast. All three uploaders had become famous on 2channel as major sources of new anime. Police seized 3-6 PCs and 3-16 hard drives in each case. This was the first and only time that Share users have been arrested. The speculation on 2channel is that the men in question were traced either through posts they made to 2channel announcing their uploads, or that they failed to use upload plugins like DiffusionProClone to block Retina Sharebot.

There have been other arrests in Japan, related to uploading copyrighted material or spreading viruses on WinMX or Winny. Isamu Kaneko, the developer of Winny, is currently appealing his sentence. So far no downloaders have been arrested.

s.taka

Post by s.taka » Feb 24th, '09, 04:58

What clusters are best to use?
I can't seem to find anything in the results...

Keeps testing in the nodes part, and ends in a few minutes after not being able to find anything.
(By the way, less than 1kb/s connection but still moving up and down)
I am using 映画, アニメ, ドラマ, バラエティ for now.

JEWELian

Post by JEWELian » Jul 18th, '09, 14:27

Thanks so much for this. I need some help. I managed to get it working and download some videos the other day - but now when I turn it on it just spends ages searching through nodes ("loading download manager cache") and that's all it does.

Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 7th, '09, 18:53

As long as you're pulling results, your Share is working.

You need to constantly update your nodes, because nodes are like users -- computers connected to the network -- I update my nodes once every 30 minutes to an hour because I'm always home, but updating them once a day could work too.

I usually download via Share hash dbs and what not, and don't search much. But,

Even though you may pull it in a search, it doesn't mean it's a guaranteed download. This is my DL screen, majority of these files I've been sitting on for MONTHS. I basically treat Share as if its a torrent, grab the files while they're fresh and you're guaranteed to download it. Two days later and the file is basically dead.

Files colored in gold/yellow are completed files. Always go after those before you go after the ones in white, because you'll have a higher chance of completing those before completing the ones in white.

Also monitor your Share UP/DOWN status box;

If its 0 straight across then you have problems. But if it looks like that then you're active and just haven't made any hits.

banzemanga

Post by banzemanga » Sep 21st, '09, 03:35

I know that there are 2 versions of Share.
EX2 for TCP and
NT5 for UDP

I can use EX2 but the problem is that i get too many transmitting errors. So i want to go for NT5 but it doesn't connect. As far as i know have my UDP port open so it should not be a problem. Have anybody been able to use Share NT5?

Jamian

Please Help me on my Share

Post by Jamian » Oct 10th, '09, 12:03

I'm a new Share user and I'm having some problems.
Share works great on my computer, but ISO downloads never finish.
It goes 99 %, 98 %, but don't finish. Please, I don't know what I do! :unsure:

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Oct 27th, '09, 11:54

Because no one has the final blocks for that file and if its older than two days, like I said, you're going to have troubles downloading it.

Share is pretty much dead anyway for dramas. No one is really sharing anymore.

add101

Post by add101 » Jan 10th, '10, 21:17

thanks for sharing these great info.

I am new to share and follow all your instructions and hints.

I found the file from sharedb.info with file name, hash number and size of file
http://www.sharedb.info/index.php/5991c ... 2/?range=3

I use the trigger to add hash, keyword but nothing happen.
My trigger setting is
Option
tick..Enable
tick...Delete matching query trigges
untick...Apply filters
untick...Add to DB only

My cluster words are ドラマ, TV, テレビ, avi, mpg, DVDISO
(btw, can I add these clusters separate with comma as one input?)

thanks ahead

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jan 10th, '10, 21:44

You wait until you get a peer that has a file that has the same hash. When that happen, the trigger will be remove and you will see it show up in the Download tab.

No, comma doesn't separate the cluster words. It will treat the whole line as one cluster word. Remember it only allow a maximum of 5 cluster words per your peer connection. I think it was done to stop flooding your peers with too many cluster words.

add101

Post by add101 » Jan 10th, '10, 22:11

thanks for the reply..firefox

I will remove the comma and just keep one entry for the cluster

any tips for getting a better search result? like I know the file date, when I try it...nothing show up at all..thanks

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jan 10th, '10, 22:53

What do you mean file date? The 'Last Update' file the last the file statue was updated on your computer. Which is useless for searching, since everyone else has different 'Last Update'.

If you mean if the date of the broadcast of a TV program. Then it tough to figure out what date format they will put into filename. I have seen 20100110, 10012010, 2010年01月10日, with . and - between year/month/day, and something without 0 for single digit month/day.

As for improving the search. Get node list from multiple sites and Share more folders, so you will have more peer connect to you.

Bellow are some sites that have list of Share nodes available. Note, some of the sites have porn ads.

http://p2p-db.net/share/
http://moejump.s6.x-beat.com/node.php
http://share.mudaijp.com/
http://www.ero8.com/share/node/
http://share.benri-tool.net/node/nodes.txt

add101

Post by add101 » Jan 11th, '10, 04:58

this is the file I am looking for
オールスター感謝祭超豪華!クイズ決定版 20091003 ①(未編集).mpg

link is here
http://www.sharedb.info/index.php/5991c ... 2/?range=3

that's how I find out the date of the file..which is part of file name

thanks for getting the Node site (I aware of those site still thanks for warning)
I already update it but still nothing happen...

Aoku

Post by Aoku » Jan 26th, '10, 11:13

Kyuubil wrote:I've been using share for ages, have no problems downloading, etc, but never had a chance to ask someone else on this -- alot of times, i'll download a file, bigger it is, the more common, and it'll finish, start converting, and find a random block corrupted, so it will check for errors, redownload the block.. and find the same block corrupt again, if left alone will do this forever, never finishing...

You know of any way to fix that?
I have the same error, except sometimes it takes forever to redownload the block. I'd wait a day for it to redownload the block, then without me knowing it, it'll try to convert the file. And again, it'll be corrupt, so I'd have to wait a day or so for it to find the block again.

Is there a way to prevent it from automatically converting when it's finished? I tried using Support_O to prevent automatic conversions, but unfortunately I don't know how to use it...

Ezohiguma

Post by Ezohiguma » Feb 24th, '10, 17:22

Been wondering about this lately: does anyone know if Share works on Win 7?

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Feb 24th, '10, 19:26

Ezohiguma wrote:Been wondering about this lately: does anyone know if Share works on Win 7?
Short answer, no. It will crash left and right, even when I ran in all of the XP compatibility modes.

Ezohiguma

Post by Ezohiguma » Feb 24th, '10, 20:32

XrayMind wrote:Short answer, no. It will crash left and right, even when I ran in all of the XP compatibility modes.
Thanks.

I was fearing something like that.

Aoku

Post by Aoku » Feb 25th, '10, 21:03

I have anoter problem, hopefully someone can help me. I keep getting this error in the logs:
10/02/25 12:57:46 ERROR: Windows socket error: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions (10013), on API 'bind'

I can't seem to connect to any of the nodes anymore and Share EX2 also keeps freezing on me. I don't know if any of the problems I'm having are related, but could anyone help me?

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Feb 26th, '10, 03:35

Are you running Share EX2 on the same computer/OS as before. If you are, did you install a new firewall/router on your computer/network? If you are, then make sure the network port that Share is using is open/forwarded on the firewall/router.

Aoku

Post by Aoku » Feb 26th, '10, 05:34

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I think what happened is that I set the port to the same port as the one that I was using for uTorrent on my router. The problem is gone now, but my Share EX2 is still freezing. It always freezes after a while, all the nodes go dead, I have no upstream or downstream, and then the program just freezes on me. Do you have any suggestions? This happened to me a while ago, but then I just deleted everything in the Share EX2 folder, and re-installed the program. But now this problem is back.

kouka1

Post by kouka1 » Mar 20th, '10, 03:11

Was wondering if somebody could provide some help...

I have installed Share on two separate computers in my home, Windows 7 & Windows Vista, and after connecting to the nodes, the log will say "Global IP Resolved," which is a good sign (according to this tutorial.) HOWEVER, after a little while, the log will say "Disconnected: Port Error" and in the upper right-hand corner status window, all the statistics for search up, search down, share up, etc, will say "0"

I am an experienced user of bittorrent, and I know my way around my router. I already opened up a port specifically for Share, and I'm still getting this error. I also tried disabling my firewall, rebooting, running share, and enabling the firewall again. If it makes any difference, my node lists are up to date, and I followed this tutorial to the best of my ability for initial configuration. Any clues?

kouka1

Post by kouka1 » Mar 21st, '10, 14:14

The problem I posted on March 20th was resolved. But I have another question. I listed a file in the download screen and the left bottom corner shows upload and download speeds, which I believe the download has started. But when I click on the Tasks tab, there is nothing listed. Somewhere in Japanese blog, I read that Tasks screen should display the progress of the download. Does anyone have any idea why my Tasks screen does not show anything?

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Mar 23rd, '10, 02:45

If it doesn't show any downloads in the Task tab, then non of the peers that you are connected to has the data needed for you downloads. The bottom Up/Down data rate is hash/search data being exchange between you and you peers. It is really showing the data exchange in the Nodes tab.

Amanogawa

Post by Amanogawa » Apr 10th, '10, 04:05

Ladymercury wrote:
Also monitor your Share UP/DOWN status box;

If its 0 straight across then you have problems. But if it looks like that then you're active and just haven't made any hits.
What does it mean if I have 0's straight across? I did have the problem before where it wouldn't stay connected, but now I'm connected but nothing happens. Is there some solution or would uninstalling and reinstalling help?

I wish I knew more about this stuff so I could figure it out on my own but I have successfully downloaded many episodes of shows before, but it's been a while since I've opened it and now it hasn't been working right. :-(

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Apr 10th, '10, 18:12

1st, click on the Nodes tab and you should see 5 to 8 connections.

If you don't see any connection there, either you need get the latest nodes list or your port forwarding is not set right on your router.

If you do see connections there, but still no transfer. Well Share is basically dead in Japan. No new files are being uploaded in Japan since the huge arrest that happened last year. I think everyone has switch to Perfect Dark.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... re-program

Amanogawa

Post by Amanogawa » Apr 11th, '10, 07:46

Thank you for the reply. :)

It could very well be my router, I'll have to mess with it and see. I know it didn't give me too much trouble when I first installed it, but maybe something went wrong there.

I do always get the new nodes, but it seems like they don't stay connected, or they keep reconnecting, but the connect button is always down at least (if that makes sense). While before it wouldn't stay connected.

I heard about the arrests and that really sucks. If only they could see it as a good thing because this is the only way people outside of Japan can see this stuff, if there were a better way, I'd use it.

I heard about Perfect Dark, I'll look into it, hopefully it's not too difficult to figure out, lol.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Apr 11th, '10, 18:29

Node connections only stay connected, if they has a file you need or you had a file they need. Else I think you are only exchanging other data collected from other nodes. Once you finish exchanging data, you done and will look for other nodes,

Last year, all of the new drama series appear on Share 1st. Last season, there only 1 or 2 new series on there.

As for Perfect Dark, just prepare to give up 40gigabytes of storage space on your hard drive and lot of time in the beginning built up that unity cache. Also it claim to required 100KB of upload speed, else your peer will ignore you. I gotten away with allocating 35KB and seems to work.

MisaG

Post by MisaG » Apr 11th, '10, 18:39

Ok, I've been using Share for almost a year now and I've never had problems. Now, something's bothering me.

I started to download a whole series from the same uploader. The isos are like 40 and i got 20 so far (so i'm half way). Now I've come across three isos which I can't complete! The problem is that it can't find all the blocks to download (and for these three isos is always about 5 blocks only!!) so it stops without being complete. What amazes me is that the uploader is the same and I'm still going on downloading the rest of the dvds from the same person, so it's not like he/she stopped being on Share. I found another uploader who had the same dvds and I tried with that but nothing changes (even the number of blocks not found are the same, like the other uploader is the same person). I changed the clusters, updated the nodes to no avail. I don't get what's wrong since I'm going on and can download the other dvds (same series, same uploader) pretty fast and easily. It's like they're stuck with this number of blocks found and won't even look for others. Is there some way to reset the status or something to make the downloads start again?

What can I do?

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Apr 11th, '10, 23:47

Always check the HASH of the file you are downloading. It's doesn't matter who the uploaders are/were. So if two files have the same HASH, you are downloading the same file. Somehow another person on Share had rehash their finish downloading copy and same hash was attached to his/her name.

Now, this is where get complicated. With everyone disappear off Share now, if non of peers online now have a complete copy, (just like with BT, where there is no seed and peers are stuck at 5%) you will never finish downloading it. This is what happening now, you see multiple hash of the same files with nobody seeding at 100%.

MisaG

Post by MisaG » Apr 12th, '10, 07:48

Thanks for your answer!

You were right, I checked the hash and it was the same. So I can't really do anything to solve this. What do you mean everyone disappear off Share now? They're not switching to Perfect Dark, are they? (God I hope not.)

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Apr 12th, '10, 09:53

I see lot more Anime on Perfect Dark than drama. Some have switch to Utatane, which really old school P2P, since it based on OpenNap(Napster). The problem with Utatane is most people on there don't trust anyone new, so you never get download from someone unless you chat with them in Japanese. If someone do let you download from them, if the transfer get abort you have start over again. Again, it not distributed like BT or Share. It's more like FTP from someone with no resume function. Again old school napster.

Funny thing, I think most people Japan has switch to Bittorrent for their drama. Because when I put up a new RAW drama file, half the people downloading from me is from Japan. Bittorrent is not anonymous, I see all of the IP address and some hostnames of all of the peers downloading from me.

Anyway, I think the uploader in Japan should rent a seedbox from 3rd party company that accept payment like Paypal or some type of payment that don't trace back to you. Then upload to that seedbox, then seed from that seedbox and if anyone does a IP trace of the seeder, it only trace to that 3rd party's server.

Yes, I am using a seedbox.

Smirk

Post by Smirk » Jun 15th, '10, 21:38

Hey guys! I have a question about Share. Should I transfer downloaded files to upload folder? Cause when I did that to my around 10Gb downloaded music the current download tasks immediately started with insane speeds like never before. Like some barrier was crushed and Share thought "Holy ****! You've got a considerable upload. Here, I'll let you download all you wanted". Or I wasn't supposed to transfer anything from download folder, cause my cache reduced by the same amount? Also, all my orange "Complete" labels turned pink with "Link" written.

Ouh, and concerning Perfect Dark - is there any benefit regarding download speeds and priority, by uploading stuff yourself even if you have cache around 30Gb?

supanoodle

Post by supanoodle » Aug 15th, '10, 01:42

Hi everyone. I have been using Share normally for sometime since last year. After I ceased to use it for a few months, I cannot start the Share program normally.

I can start the program normally if I clear all fields in the Network option under the General settings. But right after I fill in all required fields in the Network option and click connect to connect to nodes, the Share program will automatically shut down without leaving any error message.

The only way for me to get back into the Share interface is to manually delete all entries under the "Network" section in the file config.ini

I do not have any firewall (window firewall is off) or anti-virus installed. Could anyone please help me to find the cause of why my Share program would automatically shut down whenever it tried to connect to internet? Thanks.

Foxxy_Fuyumi

Post by Foxxy_Fuyumi » Dec 29th, '10, 01:16

I already added a thounsand of nodes but none connects. What should I do?

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Dec 29th, '10, 03:23

Foxxy_Fuyumi wrote:I already added a thounsand of nodes but none connects. What should I do?
What errors do you get in your log?

If you can't connect ot the notes, either they're dead or you have port issues.

imagoth2004

Post by imagoth2004 » Feb 21st, '11, 23:51

supanoodle wrote:Hi everyone. I have been using Share normally for sometime since last year. After I ceased to use it for a few months, I cannot start the Share program normally.

I can start the program normally if I clear all fields in the Network option under the General settings. But right after I fill in all required fields in the Network option and click connect to connect to nodes, the Share program will automatically shut down without leaving any error message.

The only way for me to get back into the Share interface is to manually delete all entries under the "Network" section in the file config.ini

I do not have any firewall (window firewall is off) or anti-virus installed. Could anyone please help me to find the cause of why my Share program would automatically shut down whenever it tried to connect to internet? Thanks.

I have the same problem as you, and I've been looking around all over... Still no answer. :/

Edohiguma

Post by Edohiguma » Jun 3rd, '11, 20:05

Question

I'm in process of building a new rig and, of course, it'll go 7 as main OS. But I want to keep Share and XP is harder and harder to get, even as OEM in my area (using "area" very liberal here, try a few hundred miles around me) it's almost impossible to get these days. I remember seeing that Vista, supposedly, runs with it, but I stayed the heck away from that and hugged XP, so I never got to test it.

So for all the pros who have actually seen it: Does Share work on Vista?

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Jun 4th, '11, 09:04

Edohiguma wrote:So for all the pros who have actually seen it: Does Share work on Vista?
I don't know about Vista, but it does work with Windows 7.

Edohiguma

Post by Edohiguma » Jun 4th, '11, 18:31

Curious. Thank you.

Anything I need to watch out for when trying to run Share on 7?