DVD ripped oddly, how to convert most effectively?

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
ladysaotome

DVD ripped oddly, how to convert most effectively?

Post by ladysaotome » May 11th, '09, 17:13

I'm ripping the dvd for a taiwanese series so my fansubbing group can release quality dvd subs since our downloaded files are full of glitches. The trouble is the dvd seems to have the files broken down oddly & I'm not sure how to retain the high quality I'm going for.

There's 3 episodes on the first disc - and each episode is divided into 2 chapters. So I was expecting 6 files when I ripped it using DVD decrypter. But there were 7 titles that you had to rip - so the 3 episodes are spread out over 7 files &, of course, the end of one episode & the beginning of the next occur smack in the middle of a file. (the same thing happened on the 2nd disc: 5 files spanning 2 episodes.)

So I've got to convert these vob files into something we can use for our subbing - but I also need to split & merge them into 3 episodes. I'm hoping to retain as high quality as possible but I'm not sure how to go about this. My initial thought is to convert the vob into avi using Super, then plug the files into my Pinnacle Premier so I can split & merge the videos & save into avi again. But I'm concerned I'll be lowering the quality significantly. Any advice?

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » May 11th, '09, 17:55

PITA videos, my favorite! (not).

Looks like what you'll have to do is rip them as one long video and manually separate them out.

First set up dvd decrypter to rip in IFO mode and select "none" for file splitting. Rip and save your disk.

Then, open DGIndex and load your long VOB file.

There's two ways I know of doing what you want. You can either use dgindex's cutting function to cut only the section you want there (don't forget to use the option to demux video when saving so that it creates a properly cut audio file as well) and repeat for each episode in the file.

Or, the method I prefer and use dgindex to create one d2v file for the entire video without demuxing the video, make a simple avisynth script to load the d2v file into virtualdub, and then use the trimming functions there to split the file into bite-sized little episode sections. Then use the resulting files for your subbing source vids.

ladysaotome

Post by ladysaotome » May 11th, '09, 18:00

I;ll give those a try - thanks! I knew there had to be a simpler method than I was looking at!

ladysaotome

Post by ladysaotome » May 27th, '09, 15:18

I figured out a much simpler method! I ripped the dvd in ifo mode as one large file as suggested. Then I just opened the vob directly in virtualdubmod, selected where I wanted it split & saved as avi that way! I saved the opening & ending credits as seperate files & that way I can easily tack them on to each episode.