Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

TV Not connecting to 1080p setting on PS3

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
Issy

TV Not connecting to 1080p setting on PS3

Post by Issy » Aug 8th, '09, 08:58

I have problem connecting my PS3 to my 32lg7000 tv. well, when i change ps3 resulotion to 1080p, tv screen goes blank and can't find sp3. it also tells me no signal. if i change the resulotion on ps3 to 1080i, it works fine.
i tried to chose 1080p setting automatically on ps3 but it does not do that at all.
changed HDMI cables, tried it with other tv and it works just fine. i only have this problem on my tv.
my brother says i may need to send it for repair because there is something wrong with its setting as it should find ps3 setting as i connect.
please help

groink

Post by groink » Aug 8th, '09, 09:08

Process of elimination.... Is the PS3 defaulting to 576p? Is there any other HDMI-based appliance that can generate 1080p - to test with the TV? My first guess would have been the cable, but as you mentioned you did change out the cable. If 1080p on the PS3 works on other TV sets, then its got to be a problem with the TV, or it is actually a documented incompatibility between the two. I'd research the exact make/model of your TV on the Internet - to see if others are experiencing similar issues.

--- groink

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 8th, '09, 09:39

OH, Thanks alot for your reply groink
Is the PS3 defaulting to 576p?

yes, at first ps3 was defaulting to 576p but we changed to 1080i after could not get picture on 1080p. changed so many times back to 1080p resulotion but needed to go on other tv to change back to 1080i to get the picture back.
Is there any other HDMI-based appliance that can generate 1080p - to test with the TV?
Unfortunately, NOT :-(
I'd research the exact make/model of your TV on the Internet - to see if others are experiencing similar issues.
I did some search on my tv model last night and could not find any similar problem to mine. it seems that every 1080p device worked fine with it.

groink

Post by groink » Aug 8th, '09, 10:03

I'm researching further... This seems to be a problem with several makes and models of TVs. In short, they're all saying the same thing you're saying - when they attach the PS3 to another TV, it works fine in 1080p. The consensus, therefore, are saying that it is one of the following:

1. It appears to be a problem with ALL PS3 units made after a certain date.

2. It is an incompatibility with the HDMI signaling between your LG TV and the PS3.
avforums.com wrote:As a cost cutting exercise the new PS3 units do not have handshaking hardware that previous models have, therefore Sony cannot guarantee that 1080p will be possible on other brands of tv, i.e. tv's that are not made by Sony, alarmingly he also said that there is no intention to re-introduce this as it doesn't effect all brands. Software updates will have to be rolled out over time for each of the known tv models effected to get them working again.
He then went on to say "to get the best possible experience from your PS3 we recommend that you use it in conjunction with a SONY tv" a pre indoctrinated response no doubt.

He then went on to unofficially say "just go and get an 80gb PS3 because they still have the necessary hardware to use 1080p on all sets" he also murmured "Sony are having a few problems at the moment"

Basically; if you want a 160gb (or any future models for that fact) PS3 to display in 1080p on your set then go buy a Sony tv as apparently the bravia sets already have the necessary software to do without the handshaking. If this causes problems on other brands of tv's then the "to get the best possible experience" line is being force fed to their customers.

He also said that because the 160gb units are so new, this is not really effecting enough people for it to be on the net yet. As I said before; it's not all brands that are doomed, just Samsung so far by the looks of it. When we replied "it won't take long before this is more widely publicised" he said "yeah, give it time"
To add to this, one can't just simply go out and get the 80GB model and the problem's fixed. Apparently, Sony's eliminating the hardware handshaking on ALL models of PS3 made after a certain date. This would mean a brand-new 80GB has the same problem.

--- groink
Last edited by groink on Aug 8th, '09, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

groink

Post by groink » Aug 8th, '09, 10:10

Found another interesting scenario.... One PS3 user has an "older" PS3, and he too could not get 1080p. He discovered that the length of the HDMI cable was the cause. He used a 6-foot cable, and that worked. Switched to a 50-foot cable - did not work.

--- groink

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 8th, '09, 10:37

groink wrote:Found another interesting scenario.... One PS3 user has an "older" PS3, and he too could not get 1080p. He discovered that the length of the HDMI cable was the cause. He used a 6-foot cable, and that worked. Switched to a 50-foot cable - did not work.

--- groink
wow, thanks for all your research
i just bought my ps3 2 weeks ago and it is 80gb but need to check on its manufaturing date.
and now the cable length? :scratch: not sure how long is my HDMI cable but as i said it worked fine samsung tv.
i had to add, at very begining when i changed to 1080p, picture came out but kept coming and going and was not stable. then i changed to another cable and the picture was gone completely.

groink

Post by groink » Aug 8th, '09, 10:49

Issy wrote:
groink wrote:Found another interesting scenario.... One PS3 user has an "older" PS3, and he too could not get 1080p. He discovered that the length of the HDMI cable was the cause. He used a 6-foot cable, and that worked. Switched to a 50-foot cable - did not work.

--- groink
wow, thanks for all your research
i just bought my ps3 2 weeks ago and it is 80gb but need to check on its manufaturing date.
and now the cable length? :scratch: not sure how long is my HDMI cable but as i said it worked fine samsung tv.
i had to add, at very begining when i changed to 1080p, picture came out but kept coming and going and was not stable. then i changed to another cable and the picture was gone completely.
Yeah, more likely the 80GB you have lacks the handshaking hardware. To simplify it, the TV is supposed to tell the PS3 the video modes it can run. And then supposedly, using default settings, the PS3 will use the most optimal setting the TV can handle. BUT, because the newer PS3s lack the handshaking hardware, it basically ignores whatever the TV sends it. This is where the symptoms differ from TV to TV. In your case, it defaults to 576p.

As for the cable length, it too can differ from TV to TV. It is much like the old USB 1.x days.

I'm trying to find out exactly when Sony went cheap on the PS3.

--- groink

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 8th, '09, 11:13

ummm, so basically it is ps3 problem that can not be fixed because it varies between different tv makes.

is it worth calling LG people to have look at it or they not? shall i just be happy with 1080i resulotion that i got know (that would be very hard because i am very greedy when it comes to best quality pictures and if it is there, i want to be able to see it 8) )

I really appreciate your help :salut:

furransu

Post by furransu » Aug 8th, '09, 11:16

first of all, dont use a cheap hdmi cable. because almost all cheap hdmi cable DOES NOT support 1080p.

try connecting your PC to your TV, using DVI to HDMI cable

groink

Post by groink » Aug 8th, '09, 11:22

Issy wrote:ummm, so basically it is ps3 problem that can not be fixed because it varies between different tv makes.
Unfortunately, yes. But, reading into the quote I made earlier, Sony should be updating their firmware with fixes as they nail down these problems. The crappy thing about it is that the fixes/patches will be on a per-TV model basis. In other words, if no one reports your specific LG model to Sony, they won't fix it. I'd suggest you call Sony.
Issy wrote:is it worth calling LG people to have look at it or they not? shall i just be happy with 1080i resulotion that i got know (that would be very hard because i am very greedy when it comes to best quality pictures and if it is there, i want to be able to see it 8) )
It won't hurt. But remember that technically it isn't LG's problem. Personally, I think over-the-phone technicians are dopes, and getting my head shaved is better than trying to pry useful information out of them. So unless they actually know about the problem, don't expect much. BTW, see if there are firmware updates for your LG TV. Many makes/models should be flashable via memory card.

--- groink

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 8th, '09, 11:35

furransu wrote:first of all, dont use a cheap hdmi cable. because almost all cheap hdmi cable DOES NOT support 1080p.

try connecting your PC to your TV, using DVI to HDMI cable
It's not a cheap cable. it is one of the good ones.
need to connect my PS3 first before PC.

@groink
see if there are firmware updates for your LG TV. Many makes/models should be flashable via memory card.
come to think of it, i think i see some sort of spces for this at back my tv. need to check on this one later when i got home.

BTW, when contacting SONY, what would be my main argument?
:scratch: :argue: :argue: :argue:

groink

Post by groink » Aug 8th, '09, 11:44

When calling Sony, I'd start of by telling them your problem just like you did in your first post. And then, if the tech starts beating around the bush and points fingers at your LG TV, then I'd bring up the handshaking hardware issue and see if he's aware of it.

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 8th, '09, 11:57

groink wrote:When calling Sony, I'd start of by telling them your problem just like you did in your first post. And then, if the tech starts beating around the bush and points fingers at your LG TV, then I'd bring up the handshaking hardware issue and see if he's aware of it.
I will give it a try on monday morning. meanwhile i guess i have to live with 1080i i guess. will by another expensive HDMI cable to see if this gone make any difference.