Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

TV Tuner?

Discuss technical and geeky things here.
dnzinha

TV Tuner?

Post by dnzinha » Aug 11th, '09, 23:02

I have searched a lot for something like this that would allow me to play japanese tv on my computer and I do know one exists called Eye TV Hybrid, problem is, that apparently it only works if you are in Japan (?), so, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good tv tuners that work outside of Japan but for japanese tv (if it even exists).

I'm running a mac here, so I know my choices are a bit limited, but I do have an old windows pc I could use if I can find the right thing.

Does anyone know of anything like that? If it even exists?

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Aug 13th, '09, 17:04

For Japan, you need to get an ISDB-T digital tuner card for your Mac, the only other country that use ISDB-T is Brazil. North America and South Korea use ATSC for digital broadcast. While rest of the world is using DVB-T, except for China, which has it own digital broadcast standard.

I haven't seen any multiple digital standards tuner card even for Windows.

dnzinha

Post by dnzinha » Aug 13th, '09, 17:13

XrayMind wrote:For Japan, you need to get an ISDB-T digital tuner card for your Mac, the only other country that use ISDB-T is Brazil. North America and South Korea use ATSC for digital broadcast. While rest of the world is using DVB-T, except for China, which has it own digital broadcast standard.

I haven't seen any multiple digital standards tuner card even for Windows.
I do live in Brazil, but I haven't found a single digital tuner here, that's why I'm asking if one even exists...

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Aug 13th, '09, 19:30

Well since both of the RAW videos here come from digital broadcast in Japan, I assume all of the cappers have ISDB-T capture cards. Sorry, I only downloaded the RAW files from couple of the Japanese P2P networks, I don't capture the videos myself.

Anyway, I am surprise that no company in Brazil has started to sell ISDT-T tuner/capture card, since people like you would like to record TV programs to their computer.

I am doubly surprise that Amazon.com in the US have for sale both ISDB-T tuner card and USB adapter for Brazil.

dnzinha

Post by dnzinha » Aug 13th, '09, 19:57

XrayMind wrote:Well since both of the RAW videos here come from digital broadcast in Japan, I assume all of the cappers have ISDB-T capture cards. Sorry, I only downloaded the RAW files from couple of the Japanese P2P networks, I don't capture the videos myself.

Anyway, I am surprise that no company in Brazil has started to sell ISDT-T tuner/capture card, since people like you would like to record TV programs to their computer.

I am doubly surprise that Amazon.com in the US have for sale both ISDB-T tuner card and USB adapter for Brazil.

I didn't mean that they haven't released TV tuners here, they did, a lot, but they only seem to capture Brazilian tv, which, I already have normally, I wanted something that got the signal from Japan as well.

And although we do use the "same" standard as Japan, it has been adapted and improved when they started using it here.

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Aug 13th, '09, 23:24

I think you should have written clearly in the first message on what did you wanted. You should of mention that you are in Brazil and you could get a ISDB-T capture card there and wonder if you could use it in Japan. The only person could really answer your question is to have bought an Brazilian ISDB-T tuner card and try to use it in Japan.

Anyway, the one major different between the Japan and Brazil's ISDB-T standard is that Japan use Mpeg2 for video codec, while Brazil use h.264 for video codec. If the capture card just dump the raw transport stream to video file and the card doesn't have to decode the video codec, there shouldn't be any problem.

Now, if the bundle software only decode H.264 or Mpeg2 codec, then you will have problem watching any program on it.

groink

Post by groink » Aug 13th, '09, 23:40

I'm reading this question completely different from everyone else. Even if dnzinha had the hardware to capture digital TV, he still needs some way to get the signal transmitted from Japan to Brazil. The only Japanese network that transmits to Brazil is NHK World Premium - and even then I'm not sure if the shows are broadcast digitally.

The way I read the question is the usual "How can I receive Japanese TV, and capture them to my Mac via the Internet?" There are other topics along this line, most of them advertising Japanese streaming services. Realize however that these services are anything but stable, as streaming programming out of Japan for profit is actually illegal according to HOBANKYO, JASRAC, etc. Ito Yuna's parents in Hawaii use Sony LocationFree hadrware, since at the time Yuna was contracted with Sony, and was receiving Sony equipment. But they can do this by leaving the same box at Yuna's apartment in Tokyo. Slingbox - same thing!

Seriously, I woudn't invest too much into hardware, software and services just because you feel the uploaders are inconsistent. If there is enough interest in a given show, uploaders will usually satisfy the demand.

--- groink

dnzinha

Post by dnzinha » Aug 14th, '09, 00:34

groink wrote:I'm reading this question completely different from everyone else. Even if dnzinha had the hardware to capture digital TV, he still needs some way to get the signal transmitted from Japan to Brazil. The only Japanese network that transmits to Brazil is NHK World Premium - and even then I'm not sure if the shows are broadcast digitally.

The way I read the question is the usual "How can I receive Japanese TV, and capture them to my Mac via the Internet?" There are other topics along this line, most of them advertising Japanese streaming services. Realize however that these services are anything but stable, as streaming programming out of Japan for profit is actually illegal according to HOBANKYO, JASRAC, etc. Ito Yuna's parents in Hawaii use Sony LocationFree hadrware, since at the time Yuna was contracted with Sony, and was receiving Sony equipment. But they can do this by leaving the same box at Yuna's apartment in Tokyo. Slingbox - same thing!

Seriously, I woudn't invest too much into hardware, software and services just because you feel the uploaders are inconsistent. If there is enough interest in a given show, uploaders will usually satisfy the demand.

--- groink
Thanks for answering, and yes, what I actually want is to get the signal from here, which seems impossible. And you are right, the only network that works is NHK, and for my cable provider at least, it isn't digital yet.

I do use streaming sites but they lag a lot so I started avoiding them, and although I know most shows I watch will be uploaded I just wanted to watch them at the same time it airs and save the trouble of downloading later.

But thanks for answering, I just wanted to know if there was a reliable way to get access to it here as it is.