An Issue with VirtualDub

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
still_dr3amin

An Issue with VirtualDub

Post by still_dr3amin » Jul 20th, '12, 18:41

Hi There!

After taking forever to figure out how to convert softsub to hardsub, I finally succeeded in doing so with VirtualDub. It worked like a charm, embedding subtitles into the video in about 20 minutes. All the episodes were about 700 MB so I thought that was pretty quick, I got up to episode 09. I was able to stream it to my PS3 from my laptop. Then today I tried to do it again but something was different today. It took 3 hours to get to 30% progress so compared to yesterday it is painfully slow. I don't know what happened overnight. I uninstalled all the necessary programs, restarted my laptop and re-install it again but I got the same slow progress. Does anyone know what happened or if I'm missing something?

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jul 21st, '12, 05:00

Missing some information like what was the output audio/video codec and their settings.

Anyway, could be that the file that you were trying to convert was corrupted. Did you try another file or a file that worked before and only took 20 minutes to convert?

still_dr3amin

Post by still_dr3amin » Jul 23rd, '12, 19:49

Thanks for responding! I figured out what I did wrong. I didn't set the compression to MPEG4 Video Codec. I also have another question, hopefully you or anyone can answer for me.

Hard-subbing a 700MB episode was at most 40 minutes but now that I have larger files around 1.4 GB and it takes about 2 hours to complete. Would I be able to reduce the size so that the hard-subbing process will be faster? If so with what program?

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Jul 24th, '12, 08:40

I think you ended up changing the default setting on MPEG4 video codec or the video files now you're hardsubbing is now at higher resolution. Remember a video resolution at 1280x720 is 3.3 times bigger than 704x396 in total pixels per frame. 40 minutes times 3.3 is around 2 hours. While the size only doubles, I guessing that he video codec is very efficient when there are more pixels to work with and compress better.

Anyway, if you don't care about resolution, you can use a resize filter to reduce the resolution to 704x396.