Trouble playing .mp4 format files

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber

Trouble playing .mp4 format files

Post by nadesico » Apr 21st, '13, 13:32

Ok, I've been trying to solve this issue for more than a year , but now that's the majority of files are updated in mp4, I really need help, and I hope someone will lend me a hand^^
The thing is, I can't play mp4 well. The sound is off, the image freezes or gets heavily pixelized, and sometimes, the player closes on its own, when it's not simply telling me that the format is unknown and I need the codecs. The thing is, I've downloaded tons of them, but none seems to solve the problem. I've downloaded:
- k-lite codec pack,
-x264VfW - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec 38.2274,
- CCCP ,
-mplayer, because someone told me it could play all kind of files.
I mainly use GOM player or VLC, but no amount of updates work. I'm starting to think maybe my laptop is getting too old to manage .mp4, but I bought it in 2009... I'm running windows vista basic, and , if it can help, I have a AMD athlon X2 64.
I would appreciate any kind of help. Thanks in advance!

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » May 3rd, '13, 01:03

I have to say it's quite possible that your laptop is a bit underpowered. That's a possibility. Can you tell us if you're getting the 720p or 480p? Do you have any issues playing the 480p's? If there's no problems with 480p but 720p is the culprit then it's definitely hardware issues.

b4u2bweird

Post by b4u2bweird » May 3rd, '13, 02:12

BaekSoo wrote:I have to say it's quite possible that your laptop is a bit underpowered. That's a possibility. Can you tell us if you're getting the 720p or 480p? Do you have any issues playing the 480p's? If there's no problems with 480p but 720p is the culprit then it's definitely hardware issues.
agreed

koitsu

Post by koitsu » May 5th, '13, 12:03

I'd say if neither cccp or vlc can play it for you, it's a hardware issue. 09 pc not playing it is a bit of a shock though. I'd also consider backing up and running a clean OS install. Sometimes the bloatware that a comp comes with really starts to congest the system over time.

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Drazic » May 5th, '13, 12:37

BaekSoo wrote:I have to say it's quite possible that your laptop is a bit underpowered. That's a possibility. Can you tell us if you're getting the 720p or 480p? Do you have any issues playing the 480p's? If there's no problems with 480p but 720p is the culprit then it's definitely hardware issues.
Nope, it's most definitely not a hardware issue. A PC bought in 2009 should not have problems playing anything. Actually, it might be a hardware issue but more like the broken kind than the not enough power kind. But that seems unlikely.

A few things you can try:

- Remove ALL your codecs and playback software and install CCCP.
- Download a linux boot disc and see if the built-in player works. You can do this without deleting data on your PC. You can use linux mint for example.
- If this works then install Windows 7/8 or re-install Windows Vista (or the linux distro you downloaded of course)

What kind of files are you trying to play?

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » May 5th, '13, 12:49

Well it could just be you only have 1 or 2 gb of RAM and if that's the case then it could have all the affects that you have mentioned. Upgrading your RAM should solve the problem.

nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nadesico » May 5th, '13, 12:55

Thanks for answering! I thought my post would be buried here, it's really nice of you all to take your time and lending me a hand.
It may be that BaekSoo is right, I haven't got too much trouble with 420 p, but playing 720p is a nightmare. For example, I couldn't watch Itazura na kiss love in Tokyo, which is 720p, no matter how hard I tried. If it's a hardware issue, it's really disappointing that my computer has already become obsolete. In addition, it makes me question the quality of a samsung notebook I purchased in 2011 which can't play mp4 files at all. It's always telling me I haven't got the codecs needed and mplayer, media player, vlc, gom and windows media player won't do. Seems like I have to buy another laptop... I'll try some of your ideas anyway Drazic, just to confirm it really is a hardware issue.
Anyway, thanks again for your expertise^^

bluesue

Post by bluesue » May 7th, '13, 16:26

it will be great if you can tell us your laptop specification

for samsung notebook that cause "codecs needed" , i think without any codec installed like cppp or klite , VLC can do the job just fine.