Tweaking Bittorrent - How To Configure Bittorrent

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
suraya_s

Post by suraya_s » Mar 7th, '06, 09:29

i'm not sure whether anyone has asked this b4 &
i'm no comp expert
i've been having problem downloading for almost 1week..
the max dl rate is only 5kbs..
before this problem occurs, the dl rate can reach till 40kbs..
i'm a DSL user..
there's nothing wrong with my internet connection..
n i dont think there is, coz i hv no problem surfing the net..
i thought maybe there are virus or spyware in my comp, so i downloaded the new NAV2006.. n it doesnt work either..
i've changed from bittornado to bitlord to microtorrent..
they all gave the same result..
i hope anyone who knows how to deal wit this or hv experienced the same thing
can help me out regarding this problem i'm having rite now..
thanx a bunch :salut:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 8th, '06, 04:13

what country are you in? many members suspect that ISPs sometime 'throttle' or 'cap' p2p after a while. you can search the forum for those words....

of _the_fire_roots

Post by of _the_fire_roots » Mar 8th, '06, 04:28

jholic wrote:what country are you in? many members suspect that ISPs sometime 'throttle' or 'cap' p2p after a while. you can search the forum for those words....
that may be one of the problems or you might want to try one of the most popluar bittorrent clients (Azureus, Bitcomet, utorrent) another problem and very common is that it is restricted by your firewall. do you have any anti-virus program on your computer? if you do you might have to configure it so that the client may pass through and d/l at its fullest.

suraya_s

Post by suraya_s » Mar 12th, '06, 03:45

of _the_fire_roots wrote:
jholic wrote:what country are you in? many members suspect that ISPs sometime 'throttle' or 'cap' p2p after a while. you can search the forum for those words....
that may be one of the problems or you might want to try one of the most popluar bittorrent clients (Azureus, Bitcomet, utorrent) another problem and very common is that it is restricted by your firewall. do you have any anti-virus program on your computer? if you do you might have to configure it so that the client may pass through and d/l at its fullest.
i'm from malaysia..
i'm using NAV06..
i turn off my firewall for the time being, n nothing changes..
i hv used all 3 of them (Azureus, Bitcomet, utorrent), still no improvement..
i'm totally at the dead end now :-(

suraya_s

Post by suraya_s » Mar 12th, '06, 04:04

my brother suspects the same thing too..
is it for just a short while or forever?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 12th, '06, 06:26

suraya_s wrote:is it for just a short while or forever?
depends. some ISPs do it by amount. when you reach a certain amount, they start capping your bandwidth (bw). others just cap p2p period. nothing you can do about it.

some of your options:

1. change the default ports that your client uses. the default for BT is 6881-6999. change it to something like 7500-7600. sometimes that helps.

2. check out our 'international community'. i believe there is a 'malaysian' thread. ask the members there about the ISP that you use. what do they do??

suraya_s

Post by suraya_s » Mar 13th, '06, 02:40

jholic wrote:depends. some ISPs do it by amount. when you reach a certain amount, they start capping your bandwidth (bw). others just cap p2p period. nothing you can do about it.

some of your options:

1. change the default ports that your client uses. the default for BT is 6881-6999. change it to something like 7500-7600. sometimes that helps.

2. check out our 'international community'. i believe there is a 'malaysian' thread. ask the members there about the ISP that you use. what do they do??
it must b the ISP.. a few days back, there was an article saying that p2p is clogging the broadband n they're doing something to upgrade the system.. i must b one of the unlucky ones who gets throttle by the isp..
how do i change the default ports? i'm using bittornado..
THANX A LOT for ur help n getting me out of this confusion :salut:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 14th, '06, 05:43

suraya_s wrote:how do i change the default ports? i'm using bittornado..
when you start up a torrent, look to the upper-right corner. click on 'prefs'. again, upper-right corner. change that port range to whatever you want. basically, each torrent takes up one port, so you probably won't need any more than 5-6. (7500-7505 or something).

just remember that you have to re-configure your firewalls, etc to match that port range.

then, you have to restart.

good luck!

sojaro

NAT test

Post by sojaro » Mar 15th, '06, 04:01

jholic... could you help me out... i'm a new user... i've spent the last 4 hours trying to configure everything....

so far done the following (with help from portforward.com and this board)
downloaded bitcomet
did the port forward thing to the specific port that bitcomet is using
created a firewall exception in the windows firwall program for bitcomet and the port
torrent is downloading about 40kb - 50kb with 10 seeds and uploading the same 40kb-50kb (is this slow - i'm downloading sam soon - which i would think would be easily accessible)

PROBLEM::: when i run the nat test using.... http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl
i get this message.... "FAIL! The connection was successful but a timeout occured reading or writing the BitTorrent client data. "

I tried turning off all Windows Firewall and it gave me the same message.

hope this gives you alittle about my background. what do you think i havent done or checked to either 1) get more out of my dl/ul speeds; and 2) pass the Nat test.

Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to be an active member.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 15th, '06, 05:39

sojaro: when you ran the NAT check, did you input the correct port and hash info?

if you're up/dl at 40-50kBps for kim samsoon, i'd say you're good to go. is the light green or yellow? i'm not that familiar with bcomet. i use btornado.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 24th, '06, 04:22

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY MACI IN THIS THREAD:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=399214

Maci wrote:It seems that everytime I throw a full seed out to a group that has been sitting on a torrent for weeks without a full seed I notice the same thing time and time again . . . people don't share. If there isn't a full seed, they just wait on the torrent until a seed appears, and during that time they turn off sharing.
Maci, actually, to tell you the truth, i don't believe it's the fault of the leechers. i honestly believe that there is something weird going on - especially with older torrents. i thought it may have been something to do with the tracker, but MoerkJ tells me it's not.

there are times when i'll jump on an old torrent - either to dl or seed - and i can't even reach my full upload potential. obviously, this has nothing to do the leechers. i might be trying to up @ 20kB, but i can't even get up to 9kB. :scratch:

another example: i'm a leech on a torrent - 2 seeds, 1 leech. i'm only receiving from the one leech! what about the two seeds?? i'm connected to them (and i know *i'm* configured properly). i'm not receiving anything from them. could it be that the two seeds are not sharing anything? no. the two seeds MUST be sharing since that one other leech is rising in completion percentage and still 'seeding' to me. :blink

i've developed some theories. someone once told me that even if EVERYONE on a torrent is configured properly, there's still a possibility that they cannot connect to one another. ISP problems, network down in some areas, etc.

i'm also wondering if ONE BAD LEECH can ruin the entire torrent? technically, if you have 1 bad leech, and five good ones, the five people should reach the same completion%, right? the 1 bad leech would be left alone. why are all SIX at different percentages??

finally, it's possible that when the torrent is finished and the music has stopped, the only ones left holding the bag are the ones that were not configured properly to begin with. thus, you are seeding each one separately.

i took the time to reply to your post because i used to get very upset about the EXACT SAME THING! i wanted to share my experiences with you.

conclusion?

Maci, i would wait until this series wins JSOTW or announce it as a VSS and hope for more leechers. with more leechers, you can probably overcome the 'non-connect' problem. otherwise, you're left wasting bandwidth.

Maci

Post by Maci » Mar 24th, '06, 04:58

jholic wrote:conclusion?
Thanks jholic. I tend to agree with your conclusions. I have been monitoring several torrents today, and there are some peers that just don't change in % DL. Maybe they have been connected in the background for months and are in some kind of death mode ???

And yes, I think I will wait to seed the JSOTW when the poll is final, because I have seen too many peers download a complete copy and then jump and run without continuing the seeding. One strategy for a small group of peers is to seed the group up to 99% and then cut the seed off. (They tend to keep their torrent connection open if they are close to finishing.) I'll wait for all peers to share with each other until they all reach 99%, and then I'll seed the remaining 1%.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 24th, '06, 05:06

Maci wrote:One strategy for a small group of peers is to seed the group up to 99% and then cut the seed off. (They tend to keep their torrent connection open if they are close to finishing.) I'll wait for all peers to share with each other until they all reach 99%, and then I'll seed the remaining 1%.
excellent idea, and one that i have been doing for a while now. :mrgreen:

from one enthusiastic seeder to another: you can't do much about a slow torrent. either all the people there are not config'd correctly - which means they won't see your post here since they probably don't read the forum at all (or else they would have seen this thread). OR, if you're willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, they ARE config'd correctly and it's circumstances beyond their control.

thanks for helping out, Maci!!
:salut:

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Mar 24th, '06, 07:31

jholic wrote:there are times when i'll jump on an old torrent - either to dl or seed - and i can't even reach my full upload potential. obviously, this has nothing to do the leechers. i might be trying to up @ 20kB, but i can't even get up to 9kB. :scratch:

another example: i'm a leech on a torrent - 2 seeds, 1 leech. i'm only receiving from the one leech! what about the two seeds?? i'm connected to them (and i know *i'm* configured properly). i'm not receiving anything from them. could it be that the two seeds are not sharing anything? no. the two seeds MUST be sharing since that one other leech is rising in completion percentage and still 'seeding' to me. :blink
I've been dealing with this problem for a while now myself. I've been seeding some older Kdrama torrents where there are usually only 1-3 leechers. Most of the time I can only connect to one of the leechers at a decent speed. The others I send a single piece and then nothing for a long period of time or just cannot connect to them at all.
I know for a fact my ISP filters BT traffic, but D-Addicts is the only tracker I have so many problems with. My ping to the tracker is in the 160-200ms range, yet there are times when I am on the low side of that range and still have problems. Other times I cannot connect to the D-addicts tracker but I can connect to the Jem tracker, though the Jem one uses a different port. So is it the distance, the tracker being overloaded, ISP filtering? Who knows?
Tracker aside there are way too many leechers who just complete the file and run, never to be seen again. I know they never rerturn because I seed the same torrent for days if not weeks and never see the same IPs show up.
Then there are the leechers using the standard ports. Why do people still do this? I may be able to connect to them, but you can bet there are others that cannot.
For those of us on filtered connections it's best if others connect using clients that support encryption. I've noticed lately that the people I can connect to best are those using the newer clients that support encryption such as Azureus 2.4.x and BitComet 0.63. Speaking of Bitcomet...
jholic wrote:i'm also wondering if ONE BAD LEECH can ruin the entire torrent? technically, if you have 1 bad leech, and five good ones, the five people should reach the same completion%, right? the 1 bad leech would be left alone. why are all SIX at different percentages??
I mentioned in a previous post that I noticed torents with BitComet clients tend to be more unstable, especially when using superseed mode. This is usually with older versions such as 0.59 but Bitcomet in general seems to cycle more than other clients.

noriko_kawada

Post by noriko_kawada » Mar 24th, '06, 09:32

Sometimes I got very slow speed, less than 1k, though there are seeders. About beeing stuck, I experienced 2 months waiting for "Home and Away", stuck at 50.4%. Then I finally I got from jem's clubbox, and seeded for two days, and until I post this message it's still seeded. So the "download and run" case is not happened every time. You may consider clubbox for alternative, but not every title is available there. And the worst for me is, the application is buggy; it's halted when I run in quick downloa mode, burning my 50,000 points I bought.

Although almost everytime I must upload 3-5x what I download, but yesterday I was very happy to get very fast seed, 4.8Mbps. Usually the fastest is around 2-3Mbps, but not often. Most of the time the speed are below 100k.
[img]http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/976/torrent8hs.gif[/img]

muffin707

Post by muffin707 » Mar 27th, '06, 07:54

Hello, sorry if this has been asked before, but could someone tell if port forwarding affects the voice over ip (VOIP) connection. My modem has the VOIP combined. Thank you.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 28th, '06, 04:04

good question.

short answer: i don't know. (because i don't have voip.)

best guess? it shouldn't be a problem.

when you forward ports, you are specifying which ports to fwd. therefore, if your voip works on ports 5000-5005, and your bittorrent works on 6881-6999, then there's no conflict. when you fwd ports, you are telling your computer, "hey, when data comes through port 6881, FWD them to my computer."

unfortunately, because voip works as streaming data, you may discover a disruption in service if you use bittorrent while voip'ing. that's because most of your bandwidth may be sucked up by BT. again, just a guess.

muffin707

Post by muffin707 » Mar 28th, '06, 06:50

Thanks jholic, now I've got to figure out which ports VOIP goes through and make sure bittorant doesnt go through the same port. Hope I'm making sense.

ccha7

Post by ccha7 » Mar 28th, '06, 07:23

i got a problem here...like what someone post before...previously my dl speed is about 50kB/s.but now remain 0kB/s.it happens a week ago.now my dl speed is dull. using Streamyx(ISP),malaysia.
i m using bitlord with 49152 listening port.router Dlink DI-724P+.i've followed all the instructions in portworward.com and disabled all windows firewall and antivirus software.still i've failed the NAT check.
do i need to configure the firewall tab in my router?if yes,please teach me how...
i believe that good configuration of BT should have a combination of Local n Remote Initiation.but now it remains only local at my bitlord.currently i m DLing torrent with seeders 13 peers 24.but my DL or UL remain at 0kB/s.for now i m using listening port at 45432.
please somebody help...thanx in advance

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 29th, '06, 04:33

muffin: you make perfect sense. just take a look at the owner's manual. it should tell you.

ccha7: i think malaysia might be one of those countries that cap p2p. not sure. but if your isp caps p2p, there's not much you can do about it.

if you want to check if it's your router, you may want to disconnect your router and plug directly into the internet (not very safe). do a nat check. if you pass, then you know your router is not config'd properly.

suraya_s

Post by suraya_s » Apr 1st, '06, 13:23

ccha7 wrote:i got a problem here...like what someone post before...previously my dl speed is about 50kB/s.but now remain 0kB/s.it happens a week ago.now my dl speed is dull. using Streamyx(ISP),malaysia.
i m using bitlord with 49152 listening port.router Dlink DI-724P+.i've followed all the instructions in portworward.com and disabled all windows firewall and antivirus software.still i've failed the NAT check.
do i need to configure the firewall tab in my router?if yes,please teach me how...
i believe that good configuration of BT should have a combination of Local n Remote Initiation.but now it remains only local at my bitlord.currently i m DLing torrent with seeders 13 peers 24.but my DL or UL remain at 0kB/s.for now i m using listening port at 45432.
please somebody help...thanx in advance
a citizen of m'sia too..
been having the same prob for the pass 2months..
try this 2links..
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=263472
http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Bad_ISPs
they wont help u in anything but at least u get the idea whats going on..

cilchan

Post by cilchan » Apr 12th, '06, 13:40

hi everyone...im DL goong right now, and speed is like 4kbps!!! and to thiink im on broadband!!!

can some1 help me... i realy dont have a clue...

im using 2wire 2700 hz router, isp's singnet (SG)

ive done the portforward.com config already

thanks

wingsky

Post by wingsky » Apr 29th, '06, 11:04

On my mac i've been using azureus for a while, but it uses up alot of the memory and quite a bit cpu time, so i wanted to try using a smaller client (official client).

Now, for example i am currently torrenting condor heroes 2006 ep2, and on azureus i just start the torrent from scratch and consistenly getting 20kb/s up and down, but on official client i get around 2kb/s up/down. I'm using the same port number and my firewall is open on that port. Why the difference in speeds??

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 30th, '06, 15:14

ports configured the same on both clients? i know there's an azureus forum on their homepage. maybe someone answered it there...

beccaa

Post by beccaa » May 7th, '06, 07:01

Help anybody?

I use bittornado, and i have forwarded all my ports and as far as i know i have no firewall whatsoever... everything was working fine the night before(i had speeds at 90+kbps), but then when i wanted to download something today, the signal stayed yellow and my fastest speed is 5kbps.

i have no idea what i did and i have no idea what to do.. can somebody please help me??
thanks in advance!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 7th, '06, 14:55

in the FAQ:

****SLOW SPEED****

if you're wondering why it's taking so long for you to complete (downloading so slow), there may be several reasons:

==MISCONFIGURED ROUTER/FIREWALL==
is the light (or text) on your BT client YELLOW? did you 'forward the ports' on your router or 'open the ports' on your firewall?
help yourself complete faster (and make life easier on the seeder) by going to the SUPPORT section and reading TWEAKING BITTORRENT. it may take you a few hours to configure, but it'll save you DAYS of downloading time later!
not sure if you're configured right? see if you pass the nat check: http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl

==TOO MANY TORRENTS OPEN==
many people make the mistake of trying to dl/seed too many torrents at one time. be PATIENT and not GREEDY. you will find that your speeds will probably improve if you limit yourself to 2-3 torrents at a time, rather than trying to dl four or more.

==ADJUSTING UPLOAD SPEED==
make sure you are not using 100% of your upload speed (we recommend using about 80-90% of your max upload speed).

also, make sure you're not choking it down to a minimum 3kB either! i've noticed that on most torrents, the higher i set my ul speed, the greater my dl speed.

example: let's say your max upload is 96kB.
if you set your torrent upload at 96kB (100%), you computer would not be able to perform other small network functions such as sending/receiving acknowledgement packets, etc.
if you set it too low (like 3kB), you may not get much in return. (bittorrent rewards SHARING.)

not sure what your max upload speed should be?
...1) you can call your isp and ask them what your ul speed should be. divide this number by eight and you will get your BT speed (example: 768kb = 96kB) (kb stands for kilobits; kB stands for kilobytes. 8 bits = 1 byte. Your bittorrent client measures speed in bytes while your ISP usually advertises speed in bits.)
...2) google for 'bandwidth speed test' and see if you can find a test for your UPLOAD speed. i know that www.dslreports.com has one.
...3) test it w/ your BT client. after you complete a torrent, turn off ALL other dl/ul's. set your client to 'SEED = UNLIMITED'. see how high your ul speed goes. try this with several torrents, and you will eventually figure out what your max BT ul speed is.

==UPLOAD RATE vs MAX UPLOADS==
many users think the best method of sharing is to spread it among the MOST amount of peers. (example: you set upload at 40kB; and set max uploads to 20 peers. each peer gets 2kB per second.) this is actually a poor method and inefficient use of BT.

BT chops a torrent up into "pieces". you cannot share a piece until you have COMPLETED that piece. therefore, if you have a 500MB torrent, it may chop it up into one hundred 5MB pieces.
if each peer is getting only 2kB per second, it will take a looooong time before a peer completes a 5MB piece to share.
instead, the better method is to set the amount of peers as LOW as possible. this way, each peer gets more kB per second. peers COMPLETE pieces faster, and thus, SHARE pieces faster.

==SUPER-SEED ON?==
some people think the word 'super' is pretty cool, so they always turn super-seed on. the super-seed option is not to be turned on unless you are the ONLY seeder on the torrent. otherwise, DO NOT turn it on.
more super-seed info: http://www.bittornado.com/docs/superseed.txt

==FRAGMENTED HARD DRIVE==
sometimes a highly fragmented hard drive can actually cause your computer to run slower.
right-click on your C: drive (or your dl drive) and choose 'properties'. click on the 'tools' tab and choose 'defragment now'.
click 'analyze', and repeat for every drive that you have. are your drives highly fragmented? stop everything and take the time to defrag and reboot.
you'll find that a UNfragmented drive will allow you to allocate a file faster and may improve speed.

==OTHER MISCELLANEOUS FACTORS THAT YOU MAY OR MAY NOT BE ABLE TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT==
* your ISP is throttling/limiting BT traffic (or p2p traffic, in general). if you're brave, you can call them and ask them if they have this policy.
* the peers you are connected to are very slow uploaders. they might have a very low upload speed or are setting their upload speed too low.
* the peers that are on the torrent have not configured their router/computer correctly for BT (you may have yours set up properly, but they may not).
* there is something wrong with the connection(s) between you and the other peers. you could try dropping off and connecting later, or wait for the situation to improve.

malay_tiger

Post by malay_tiger » May 9th, '06, 02:29

Ruroshin wrote:Check your window if it has a firewall on your connection. Windows turns on by default, if so you will need to either configure it to let through all the bt ports or turn it off and get a real firewall software.

Also what type DLINK modem do you have? Are you sure its not a modem/router?
Ruroshin, I have problems with my torrent, I cannot upload even a single kb of my data into D-Addicts. What should I do? :blink

The NATCHECK tells this...

Attempting connect to: 60.49.92.135 port 6880
Fail!
The connection was successful but a timeout occured reading or writing the BitTorrent client data :scratch:

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » May 9th, '06, 15:50

@malay_tiger
Don't use port 6880. For that matter do not use any of the standard ports 6881-6999. The Azureus wiki recommends ports 49152 - 65534, or even an unassigned port in the range 1024 - 49151. Kudos for actually running the NATcheck test. I see dozens of clients who I can't connect to because they are using the standard ports.

river_mist

Post by river_mist » Jun 23rd, '06, 14:24

hi! i am a newcomer to this d-addict community, and a new newcomer to bittorrent thingy too.

i got a problem, and a serious one, and i m really a computer-idiot. now i noe y my downloading of torrent file is so so so so super duper slow, less than 4kb/s at the most!! :crazy: that is because my tcp/udp ports are not forwarded rite?? as stated on the 1st page of this thread. oh gosh!!!!!!!!!!! i feel so idiotic...

by right, torrent dling shd be fast, judging by the no of torrents uploaded....

i have read thru the 1st few pages of this thread, n i hv followed portforward.com instructions step by step as given in screenshots, but the 2nd last step in that website, "Type the ip address into the address bar on the web browser" --> it gives an error, ie the website cant load. why? hv i done anything wrong or wad?

from the explanation given by u guys, it seems that i have not configured correctly, i.e. port forward and behind window firewall, no?

I am using (Singapore):
Win XP SP2,
Azureus 2.4.0.2,
wireless broadband internet Linksys WUSB54GC (however, i am using wireless to my PC via the Linksys router connected to another PC in another room).

I am not sure if the instructions given are for internet router that is connected to the PC, as mine was wireless. If i have to adjust settings etc to my wireless, does it mean i oso have to adjust likewise for the router connected in another room?? :scratch:

Also, i am not sure how to disable firewall in Win XP, sorry, i really dun grasp all the technical terms, and i wld appreciate it if u guys could help by giving step-by-step instructions...

On my Azureus, i notice at the bottom that my Share ratio is very poor, Firewalled, DHT Firewalled. That means i am behind Win XP firewall and not forward ports to Azureus?

totally lost and helpless......... pls help.......... thanks a lot!

:cry: :blink :-(

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 24th, '06, 01:35

river_mist: sometimes, the NAT check page goes down, and i haven't found an alternative.

since you are in singapore, it's possible that your ISP may be blocking your downloads. not much can be done about that. see if you can change your default ports from 6881-6999 to something like 9881-9899.

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Jun 24th, '06, 01:47

@river_mist: did you do all the steps on this page? that should be the correct page to use given your router and bt client information. are you having problems with the step where it tells you to open another browser window and to enter your IP? and as jholic suggested and as the guide shows...you should change your port from the default port.

Merenge_5

Post by Merenge_5 » Jun 28th, '06, 12:39

Hi I've got a question. I read trough all this FAQ through...but I still don't understand it.
I downloadet utorrent and first it downloadet but then it stopped because sm else was using this process or sm like that....T^T...well I don't understand what this port thing is about, and what I have to do with my IP adress and what that has ID/torrent ID somethign like that is...I tried this test and there were this things asked...and well I didn't know what to do....I just don't get it ( and I read this thing a few times!!)

I would be very glad if someone could explain this whole thing and what I have to do T^T thanks in advance :salut:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 29th, '06, 02:36

river_mist

Post by river_mist » Jun 30th, '06, 06:43

habukie wrote:@river_mist: did you do all the steps on this page? that should be the correct page to use given your router and bt client information. are you having problems with the step where it tells you to open another browser window and to enter your IP? and as jholic suggested and as the guide shows...you should change your port from the default port.
@habukie:

yes i m still hving problems typing my ip add in the browser add bar. it still give error page. i duno y... i hv followed the steps on the 1st page listed, till to the step where i hv to type ip add in the add bar, but it cant load n give error. because of this step, i cant go on to the next step which is the last step on the instructions.

i hv already changed the port to 49172 from the default port as instructed after i dled the azerus.

Now, my azerus read: all torrents r in green face, Ratio - ok, Reachabilkity TCP - ok. DHT still yellow. torrents r in green face consistently for the past few days, but the dl speed is still less than 3-5kbs............. 0_o :crazy:

7ehpenguin

Post by 7ehpenguin » Jul 14th, '06, 21:41

i have a question. on this, the guide tells me that when im doing the port forwarding thing, on my linksys router page thing, i should put BitTorrent as my applications (by the way, i use azureus), but on portforward.com it tells me to put Azur1 for the application. im new XD so i basically know nothing =(

also, should i set up a static ip address? i tried it once and my internet stopped working and we had to get someone to fix it -_- and if it happens again, my parents are gonna get really mad and i dunno if i should take the risk to try it again (i know i made a mistake the last time i tried), so is it necessary?

one last thing, i went to whatsmyipaddress.com and is that number there the ip address of my computer? my router? i dunno, but i'm just confused >< =_= and whats that 192.168.1.something number?

gah sorry for all the questions XD im a noob. thanks and byebye =D

nicpkh

Post by nicpkh » Jul 16th, '06, 08:52

Hmm what the different between firewall in Broadband and firewall in LAN. For my pc setting the broadband firewall is on but for my LAN setting it off.
So is it ok if i off my firewall for my broadband? Does it make any difference?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 17th, '06, 03:30

nic: not sure if i understand your question. there is no firewall for broadband. you might mean that you have a firewall on your computer and a firewall on your BROADBAND ROUTER/MODEM?? if so, it's up to you which one you turn on or off, but either one you turn on will have to be configured for BT. if you turn both on, they both have to be configured for BT. if you have to choose, i'd go with the router one.

nicpkh

Post by nicpkh » Jul 17th, '06, 05:50

jholic wrote:nic: not sure if i understand your question. there is no firewall for broadband. you might mean that you have a firewall on your computer and a firewall on your BROADBAND ROUTER/MODEM?? if so, it's up to you which one you turn on or off, but either one you turn on will have to be configured for BT. if you turn both on, they both have to be configured for BT. if you have to choose, i'd go with the router one.
@ jholic
Ohh that the question i want to ask, okok i understand it thank for your information jholic. :salut:

In LaLaLand

Post by In LaLaLand » Jul 19th, '06, 03:30

Hi - I followed all the steps on www.portforward.com and forwarded and opened my ports for Bitcomet. However, I do not see a large difference in the download speed (I am at dl rate of 15-30 KB/s - have only opened 1 torrent that has 12 seeds for 494 leechers, I am connected to 12 seeders and 55 peers and am downloading from 18 peers). Prior to forwarding and opening my ports, my dl rate was approx. the same. How do I check if I had forwarded/opened my ports correctly?

I do have a firewall which I have put bittorrent as an exception. How do I open a window for bittorrent without disabling the whole firewall? Can I put in specific IP address(es) to open the window?

Thanks so much in advance for anyones help!!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 21st, '06, 00:21

LaLa: one thing i didn't mention in my pm. have you considered switching to bittornado? since you only have one torrent open, you won't need to worry about too many torrent windows open. i have a computer w/ about a gig of ram, and it handles 4-6 torrents easily. i usually only have about 2-3 open, though.

7ehpenguin

Post by 7ehpenguin » Jul 31st, '06, 00:16

about all that up there i posted no one has to answer that, i figured it out. but i do have another problem.

i was downloading something and everything was fine, the circles were all green and whatnot, i already configured my router/firewall/anti virus stuff a long time ago. i was almost done but it suddenly stopped and the circle turned yellow and it said NAT OK? i stopped uploading/downloading altogether. i checked almost everything and i can't seem to tell what the problem is. help, anyone?

also what is hash? and what are hash fails?

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Jul 31st, '06, 05:39

@7ehpenguin
The smiley for your torrent will turn yellow if it stops establishing TCP connections to other clients. If you stopped downloading this could mean you and the peers are no longer exchanging data. Are you all stuck at the same percentage perhaps? If you are seeing hash failures then some peer is sending bad data. See the Azureus wiki for a definition of hash: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Th ... _word#Hash.

arun

Post by arun » Aug 19th, '06, 05:53

I don't undestand ! i did everything on http://www.portforward.com/ but my download is still very slow compare to usual. My speed use to go up to 150kb now the highest is 31kb. PLEASE HELP

THANK YOU
-ARUN

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Aug 19th, '06, 06:18

maybe theres not much seeders?

arun

Post by arun » Aug 23rd, '06, 15:45

BOGCHI wrote:maybe theres not much seeders?
It can't be because theres not much seeders, because i'm downloading the latest files. Everytime i download more than 2 files the speed are divided through out the flies.

For example:

over the rainbow episode 8 is at 30KB

If i add another file to BT such as...Vineyard

Over the rainbow episode 8 ia at 10KB

The Vineyard Man is at 13KB

Then if i add more files then the speed is around 3-5KB each and a total of 25-30KB

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Aug 24th, '06, 04:26

@arun
Could you have accidentally set the max download speed in your client? What BT client are you using? Do you have any type of bandwidth limiter like NetLimiter? More info would be useful.

arun

Post by arun » Aug 26th, '06, 04:32

saigo_x wrote:@arun
Could you have accidentally set the max download speed in your client? What BT client are you using? Do you have any type of bandwidth limiter like NetLimiter? More info would be useful.
I think i have BT 7.0 and my setting is no limit. i try setting it to 50-100KB, but there's no difference. I have actiontec moderm, i'm not sure if its bandwidth or netLimiter. Do you think you can help me?

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Aug 26th, '06, 18:40

@arun
The latest version of the official bittorrent client is 4.20.x and I don't know of any clients that are version 7. NetLimiter is a bandwidth limiting software, not hardware. The fact that your speed stays within a specific range makes me think you have something limiting your download speed somewhere. I assume you are only having this 30K barrier problem when using bittorrent right? Try a well populated torrent from another tracker and see if you get the same results. Maybe a new anime release at www.animesuki.com would be good. Just let it run long enough to gauge your speed. You can stop and delete it after a few minutes.

arun

Post by arun » Aug 28th, '06, 04:05

SORRY i made a mistake. I'm using BitComet 0.70

I'll try your suggestion, thanks for your advice saigo_x

In LaLaLand

Post by In LaLaLand » Aug 29th, '06, 00:03

To jholic - I apologize for this being a bit late, but THANK YOU!! again for all your advice and help!!

arun

Post by arun » Sep 3rd, '06, 05:56

I don't understand, it's even worst after i try uninstall and installing it back. I could only download one file at a time. There's two or more files in bitcomet, but all the seeders are combine to one files until it's finish. And the speed it still the same between 20-30KB. Could some one tell me the setting i must used to make bitcomet flow better. I wonder could it be due to Norton security and bitcomet setting that is causing this problem.

Thanks for helping

arun

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 3rd, '06, 11:17

doubt if it's norton. are you using it through a college or university?

double-check your netlimiter settings. it's probably capping your speed.

or use another client.

Astro_Boi

Post by Astro_Boi » Sep 6th, '06, 02:35

Tagging for future reference < if thats allowed ^_^ ' >

ArieZ

Post by ArieZ » Sep 7th, '06, 08:56

arun wrote:I don't understand, it's even worst after i try uninstall and installing it back. I could only download one file at a time. There's two or more files in bitcomet, but all the seeders are combine to one files until it's finish. And the speed it still the same between 20-30KB. Could some one tell me the setting i must used to make bitcomet flow better. I wonder could it be due to Norton security and bitcomet setting that is causing this problem.

Thanks for helping

arun
hmm
you can try this:
check on preference--->connection you can see there is :
'Global Max Download rate' change the number too 1000KB/s
bout just can dl 1 torent at time, you also can see in preference--->connection
'Max simultaneous download taks' change it to the number of torrent you want to dl at same time.
in connection you also can see 'Global maximal upload rate'
bout this, if youre downloadin speed is about 150kbps in direct dl, i supposed your upload speed is about 30-40kbps(maximum). so you better set the number about 5-20, coz if you put it 30-40 means that your download speed is reduced becoz your uploading in maximum speed. change it to get the dl speed you want.
after this see preferences---->Task--->at upload part
you will see' maximum upload rate per task' and 'minimum upload rate per task'
you have to change the number from 'no limit' with the same number you put in 'global maximum upload rate'
and then press ok. hope this usefull :)

squallheart

Post by squallheart » Sep 8th, '06, 05:09

alright im confused im willing to share and keep my window open since my pc stays up like a server but im confused on this port thing. First of all I use bitcomet which is like bittorent i never like bitorent and bitcomet works great for me. So how do i set this thing up to download fast. I do tget rates sometimes of 130kbs and upload at 70kbs can u help me out thanks

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 13th, '06, 00:25

squalheart: if you're getting those rates, you're fine.

keren14

Post by keren14 » Sep 13th, '06, 01:16

Hello, I am a new torrent user.
I already read almost all posts in this forum but still can't find the solution for my slow dl rate.
I use Bittornado and I already forward my port.
I forward my port from 10000-10030.
And when I tried Nat checking, there is only one torrent pass which is on port 10000.
The other torrent that use port 10001,10002,... failed.
Light status on the port 10000 is green but the other torrents is still yellow.
It says something like this:
successfully connected, but didn't get proper a BitTorrent client response. Make sure you entered a correct hash ID that corresponds to the active torrent on your system. Most likely, your network is properly configured, but repeat this test with a valid hash ID to be sure.

Response was: ''

I thought the problem was on the torrent file hash info, but when I try to open the failed torrent using port 10000, it works fine.
I already turn off my windows firewal.
Can someone help me plz??l

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 13th, '06, 23:45

in bittornado, when you click on 'pref', did you set your port range correctly?

keren14

Post by keren14 » Sep 14th, '06, 00:18

yes, I already entered port range correctly and already un-thick randomized.
btw, I also already configured static ip address for my computer.
Any suggestion??

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 14th, '06, 00:47

when you configured your router (or firewall), i have a feeling you only configured port 10000. i would double-check if you configured all the ports. some routers/firewalls can configure ranges, and others only configure each port separately.

keren14

Post by keren14 » Sep 14th, '06, 03:07

Wow, you're right jholic. Problem solved.
Thank you very much!!!

jono281

Post by jono281 » Sep 28th, '06, 13:47

im downloading return of the condor heroes.
but i fink the logger on utorent said i was banned from a-addicts.

what does tht mean and hw do u solve it?

my tracker status says:- Failure: requested download is not authorized for use with this tracker.

pleaze help me

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Sep 28th, '06, 17:36

jono281 wrote:my tracker status says:- Failure: requested download is not authorized for use with this tracker.
That error message means you could connect to the tracker ok but the torrent does not exist on the tracker. The torrent has been deleted/removed probably. If it is an old torrent file try downloading it again.

eg78

Post by eg78 » Oct 7th, '06, 16:42

Help please, I'm totally lost in tweaking the BT :scratch: .
I'm using bitcomet 0.70 and router prolink hurricane 9000P. Followed all the instruction in port forward but result is max dl rate of 30KB and sometimes 0KB eventhough there are more than 2 seeders and 10 peers.
Configuration on port forward:
1. using listen portof bitcomet (49155) on public start & end port, private port plus IP on TCP/UDP
2. using 6881 on public start port & 6889 on end port, 49155 on private port, plus IP on TCP/UDP.
However, all the NAT check result are:
Fail!
The connection was successful but a timeout occured reading or writing the BitTorrent client data.
Where do I go wrong, can someone please help me? I'm desperately want to have good dl and up speed to be able to actively sharing..Thanks in advance. :salut:

eg78

Post by eg78 » Oct 8th, '06, 00:59

hmm... :unsure: I have another question.
If the ISP is known to limit the broadband width for bittorrent and the NAT test check result is:
Fail!
The connection was successful but a timeout occured reading or writing the BitTorrent client data.
is that means that any attempt to port forward is futile/useless? is there any way to increase the dl and ul rate in this situation?
Thank you and hope to hear any solution from you.

nalika

Post by nalika » Oct 10th, '06, 03:49

do we use the same port number for the newest BitTorrent ? my dl speed is ver slow compared to the old bittorrent and ul speed is very high

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 11th, '06, 00:30

nalika: i would say try it with the old torrent ports, and if they work fine, don't worry about it. if they don't, then change it.

eg78: some notes....
- i don't think you should use UDP at all. just TCP.
- i'm not too experienced with bitcomet, but i like bittornado. consider a switch?
- hard to judge with 2 / 10 peer ratio. try dl'ing a torrent with 40 seeders / 100 peers.
- what are you setting your UPload speed at (kB)?

all in all, if your ISP (in malaysia) just blocks BT, then there's not much you can do.

johnnie82

Re: Tweaking Bittorrent - How To Configure Bittorrent

Post by johnnie82 » Oct 18th, '06, 14:09

Ruroshin wrote:Linksys Firewall Router
Access your Linksys Firewall Router's web admin page, according to the instructions in the manual for your router. You will probably need to enter a password. At the top of the web page there is a series of navigational links, and you want the one that says "Advanced". From there, move on to "Forwarding". Find an empty row in the form on that page, and fill in the name ("BitTorrent"), the port range (6881 to 6889), check the TCP box, and set the IP address to the one that your computer is. Check the Enable box then click the Apply button to save the changes.

I tried the above method but I am only allow to type in 7 alphabets on each row. And BitTorrent has 10 alphabets. How can I fix it?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tweaking Bittorrent - How To Configure Bittorrent

Post by jholic » Oct 18th, '06, 23:58

johnnie82 wrote:
Ruroshin wrote:Linksys Firewall Router
fill in the name ("BitTorrent"), the port range (6881 to 6889)
I tried the above method but I am only allow to type in 7 alphabets on each row. And BitTorrent has 10 alphabets. How can I fix it?
the name is not very important. you can put "BT" or "p2p" or whatever.

red_pucca

Post by red_pucca » Oct 24th, '06, 10:25

Need help.
I changed my connection into a wireless one. I'm using uTorrent. I have added uTorrent, the port number (TCP and UDP) in the firewall exception, I have added the same port in my router's web admin page, I have also changed my IP into a static one. But everytime I checked in the uTorrent website or canyouseeme.org the port is not opened for my IP.
Even though it's already a static IP, the one showing up on the internet is my external IP.
Help.
My max download rate is 3kb/s and sometimes 0kb/s.
The worst thing happened is that I could not even connect to the internet until I unchecked my uTorrent et al from the firewall exception.
Help.
Help :-(
p.s: I was frustrated with my windows firewall, I clicked the 'restore default' button. it warned me that some of the programs listed may not function properly after. But everything was ok, just the port.

Thanks in advance :-)

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 24th, '06, 23:51

for BT, i don't think you need to enable UDP. just TCP.

when you say 'added the port number', what do you mean? FORWARDED the port? or something else?

red_pucca

Post by red_pucca » Oct 25th, '06, 13:38

sorry for the misunderstanding. yes, I forwarded the port 32459 for UDP and TCP. i also tried with TCP only but didn't work.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 26th, '06, 00:06

32459 sounds kinda high. i forget what the "usable" ports are, but try something in the 10000s?

pat_ty

Post by pat_ty » Oct 30th, '06, 21:13

I'm using utorrent. I could do the port forward on my DI-624 router without any problems. I test it with http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=xxxxx (where xxxx is my bittorrent's port)

A couple days ago, I ran the test again, but this time it shown the error.

Error! Port xxxxx does not appear to be open.

Is it possible that my ISP has blocked this port? If yes, do I have to find another port to do the port forward?

Please someone shed the light on me.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 31st, '06, 03:53

did you configure a static ip on your computer? if not, it's possible that your router may not be picking up your computer when your ip changes.