PC overheat problem?

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

PC overheat problem?

Post by mangosteen » May 6th, '06, 19:35

I've having this problem once in a while. It's actually going on annually. Does this mean I have to have my computer fixed every year? Any other solutions?
I heard about the case fan which helps cool the CPU. Will it work for a laptop too?
Do you think a laptop is more likely to face this overheat problem than a desktop computer?
I'm sorry if the questions are stupid. I'm just computer illiterate. Thanks anyone who is gonna answer any of the above questions of mine 8)

bugsie

Post by bugsie » May 6th, '06, 19:38

i guess you have to clean it regularly to stop dust from amassing.

yt_toshi
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by yt_toshi » May 6th, '06, 19:44

1. Who's the manufacturer of your laptop?
2. How often do you use your laptop?

mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mangosteen » May 6th, '06, 19:48

Toshiba.
I use it everyday, maximum 9 hours a day.

Can I clean it myself? 'Cause I always have to ask a technician to open and clean it.

irwinc

Post by irwinc » May 6th, '06, 19:57

Try one of those notebook risers/stand.

bugsie

Post by bugsie » May 6th, '06, 19:58

mangosteen wrote: Can I clean it myself? 'Cause I always have to ask a technician to open and clean it.
well i say you can clean it if you don't have to worry about screwing up your warranty. you can use pc duster or anything that can vaccum of push all those dust away.

assaopix

Re: PC overheat problem?

Post by assaopix » May 6th, '06, 20:07

mangosteen wrote:I've having this problem once in a while. It's actually going on annually. Does this mean I have to have my computer fixed every year? Any other solutions?
I heard about the case fan which helps cool the CPU. Will it work for a laptop too?
Do you think a laptop is more likely to face this overheat problem than a desktop computer?
I'm sorry if the questions are stupid. I'm just computer illiterate. Thanks anyone who is gonna answer any of the above questions of mine 8)
Do you work in outdoors ? Once in a while like ? monthly or yearly ? yea its better to get the technician do the cleaning but if the warranty is not there anymore then why not do it yourself :roll

This would happen to old models notebooks if I am not mistaken. Mind stating which model(toshiba) you are using ?

some links if you want to DIY http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=258

hope it helps :cheers:

Athaclena42
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Athaclena42 » May 6th, '06, 20:13

I have a Toshiba too, and mine just started to get really warm again. I've already had the cooling unit and system board replaced, and it looks like I'm going to have to again. I keep my computer on 24/7 though, so that could be part of the problem. Also, my screen gets super hot right at the bottom, and that's starting to worry me. I'm having a tech come next week to work on it, and hopefully I'll get the problem fixed. I've never had a problem with dust though...ony that the cooling unit stopped working.

Buck

Post by Buck » May 7th, '06, 06:05

There have been alot of complaints about Toshiba in the past.. I recommend if you ever buy a new laptop to not buy Toshiba because of it's overheating problem. Already Intel wanted to sue Toshiba because of its overheating problems (destorys the microchips and stuff). So like get like an HP or a Dell even, those are good which are really worth it. Or if you really hate manufacteurs just buy the parts and ask someone who's a computer buff and build it for you.

Athaclena42
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Athaclena42 » May 7th, '06, 06:13

Dells overheat too...buy a desktop if you're going to get a Dell. I had a Dell notebook that got so hot that the right side of the computer where my hand rested turned black, The poor thing finally kicked the bucket and I went and bought my Toshiba. My first notebook was a Dell too, and I honestly don't remember whether it overheated.

Buck

Post by Buck » May 7th, '06, 06:22

Well I think it's best to say that all notebooks overheat haha. Because if you lift it up.. dannnnnng I could be cooking omlets! But thanks for the suggestion

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 7th, '06, 14:53

nice to see you again, mangosteen.

keeping dust out of it helps, but see if you can also improve the external factors. one of my friends had some weird problems with his computer, and i noticed he kept it in an unventilated portion of the room. we cleaned out the dust, opened a window, and pointed a fan at that corner, and it helped.

i have seen several videos where a cpu chip will start to smoke and melt immediately after you remove the fan cooling it. see if you can point a vornado at your laptop.

mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mangosteen » May 8th, '06, 17:22

jholic wrote:nice to see you again, mangosteen.

keeping dust out of it helps, but see if you can also improve the external factors. one of my friends had some weird problems with his computer, and i noticed he kept it in an unventilated portion of the room. we cleaned out the dust, opened a window, and pointed a fan at that corner, and it helped.

i have seen several videos where a cpu chip will start to smoke and melt immediately after you remove the fan cooling it. see if you can point a vornado at your laptop.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. They are really helpful. I didn't know there is even a site with tutorial on how to clean the heatsink. Thanks very much.
Anyway, the technician said my laptop's motherboard is damaged and they have to replace it :crazy: It costs me 240 USD already. I'm getting tired of laptop and thinking of buying a desktop computer instead. I'm hating TOSHIBA now. But back then, I didn't bought the laptop, lol. Someone whom my family trust chose and bought it. It was a gift from my grandfather, but he didn't know much about computer things, so he asked that acquantance to help.

jholic, I already tried. I had my windows open, I put a fan next to it too, but they didn't work. Thank you anyway.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » May 8th, '06, 17:37

I stuck two rubber feet on the bottom of my laptop near the back edge. This way the laptop sits at a slight angle and the bottom cools more efficiently by convection. The fan goes on much less often this way too.

grr

Post by grr » May 8th, '06, 17:45

I have the same problem too and I have HP. Mine would shut down by itself too. It came to the point where it completely crashed. I had to change my RAM which cost me $160. I think 'heating up' are the flaws of these computer brands. Now I always have a fan facing it. This has been helpful.

Athaclena42
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Athaclena42 » May 10th, '06, 07:17

I'm sitting at my desk with two boxes from Toshiba sitting next to me. One has a motherboard, and the other has a new fan/heatsink. I know the agony of owning a laptop, so I spent the extra $279 (or so) for a 4 year in-home warranty. That way, every time the bleeping thing overheats and damages all of the most expensive parts of my computer, a nice tech from Siemens comes to wherever I happen to live and fixes my computer for me. For me, a laptop only lasts as long as the warranty I purchase for it. Inevitably, as soon as the warranty runs out, my computer dies completely, and it's time to buy a new one. For some reason, Toshiba has started sending me weird freebie parts, like the upper plastic casing where my keyboard is. Perhaps they think that it melted.

mangosteen, I'm sorry you're having such issues with Toshiba. Considering that I abuse mine by downloading and uploading excessively, keeping it on 24/7, constantly burning stuff, typing all day, etc...I'm still satisfied with what I bought. For now. Anyway, for your next computer purchase, try getting a warranty. I understand your laptop was a gift, so you didn't have any control over what you got, but next time you can get a different kind/model of computer or just get a warranty to cover everything. Good luck!

susuking

Post by susuking » May 10th, '06, 07:29

try this method, it always worked if u are lazy or duno how to open ur notebook. norm notebook will overheat because of the collected dust and restricted opening on the side and below... try to vacuum it by using a vacuum cleaner, off the pc, cover the other vents and vacuum on one vent ... do it on all sides of the vent. it should be sufficient to suck out all dust... i've fixed a few notebooks with this sort of overheating prob. save ur money and suck it out ....

mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mangosteen » May 10th, '06, 17:23

Thanks again everyone. I should have purchased the warranty service.
Athaclena, I think I abuse my laptop too and will continue to do so, I guess because of my love for dramas and subbing :)
Susuking, someone suggested me to use the vacuum too, but I haven't tried. I think it will work. Thanks for the tip.
One more question, if I want to buy a new desktop computer, which one is good? Dell?
I'm tired of the overheating problem, so I'm really worried if a desktop computer gets stuffed with dusk as fast as a laptop does?

Athaclena42
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Athaclena42 » May 10th, '06, 18:46

My house is full of dust, and I have yet to have my mom complain about her desktop computer getting dirty inside. For a desktop, I'd have to recommend a Dell...they have good ratings, and they seem to last forever (I've had experience with two). Unfortunately, warranties for Dells are a bit expensive, and it's annoying because when you call tech support sometimes you're on hold for a half hour, but since the desktops don't have as many problems, I suppose that's fine.

If you're interested in what else is out there besides Dell that's good, check out the latest issue of Consumer's Reports and see what they have to say about ratings for desktops. I was glancing over it over the weekend, but I don't remember anything specific.

Again, good luck!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 11th, '06, 03:48

overall, i don't think desktops have as much overheating problems as laptops. probably because of more room for air to circulate. but i could be wrong.

i would also recommend a dell. i've been using mine for years, and has been reliable and easy to maintain/upgrade.

keep a look out for deals:

www.xpbargains.com
www.slickdeals.net
www.techbargains.com
www.bensbargains.net

good luck, mangosteen.

susuking

Post by susuking » May 11th, '06, 05:40

well, mangosteen, being a subber and d addicts has its downside, one being u're stuck at the com all the time watching dramas, and second ur com need extra care and maintenance, dust collecting is a unavoidable fact, not to mention all the trash from the downloading .. so yeah, get a desktop instead of a laptop, and ppl please get other sort of laptop instead of Dell, i worked as a computer tech b4 for a living, i hate those crap to death ... hard to maintain, not to mention hard to take it apart... get an acer or something ... and i'm not against it or something .. just that i've seen the dark side of it .. haha

mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mangosteen » May 11th, '06, 21:14

Thanks. But it's hard to find a good computer 'cause there are too many out there. I feel lost in the Dell products page :)
My laptop is fixed, need to go pick it up! Thanks a bunch, all.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 17th, '07, 19:51

been awhile since this thread was even mentioned, but just a heads-up, there are a bunch of 'cooling pads' and 'chill pads' on sale for laptops:

Slim Aluminum Laptop Cooling Pad - meritline
Targus PA248U Tornado Notebook Chill Pad - circuit city
Heavy Duty Aluminum Laptop Cooling Pad - meritline
Evercool Magic Notebook Idea Cooling - nexfan

these are supposed to keep your laptops from overheating.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Feb 18th, '07, 19:57

i'll vouch for the targus one working well. i have an averatec which is notorious for having hot laptops. it used to get hot enough to literally burn yurself.
i stopped using the fan tho cuz its got annoying to carry around. i underclocked the CPU instead and so now it remains relatively cool.

nukleuz88

Post by nukleuz88 » Feb 18th, '07, 20:22

HEY! mangosteen !! I have the same problem too. My tosh!tba laptop (A75 series) was shutting down on me out of nowhere and MAN was i mad. Then couple of days later i received a letter saying i get 1 extra year of warranty which ends Nov.-07". THis goes for toshiba laptop series (A70, A75, M30x, or M35x) SO yea if you have any of these laptops then try to get the money reimbursed!!!!!!!!!!!!! BANG!

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 18th, '07, 20:57

i'm guessing these things are probably a lot cheaper in the winter than they are in the summer....

ruisu

Post by ruisu » Feb 22nd, '07, 03:25

My Acer overheated on it's first day (it has an x1600 and was running BF2). I even had the laptop cooler on (<----).
You can open up your lappy and see how they have the air flowing and change it if you see something wrong. Sometimes (as in my case) they had the air running the wrong way, or had a vent blocked by accident. 5 cent error.