slow video playback; audio okay

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
wee mount

slow video playback; audio okay

Post by wee mount » Dec 26th, '06, 05:45

I have tried playing the downloaded files (from the hard drive or files put on DVD) on 3 different machines and have found that none and I mean none of the files play with the audio and picture matching. It seems that the picture is playing slower, sometimes with a very slight pause, and is very much out of sync with the audio which sounds normal. I've used many different players on 2 different machines, all with the same results. The jet audio player has a control for speed but it only seems to obviously speed up the audio and doesn't help with making the picture match with what is being said. I've used prerecorded DVDs that were purchased from the store and captured TV episodes from another machine. Both seem to play fine. I'm so disappointed with taking the time to download the torrents but not being able to enjoy watching them. How do I speed up just the picture so that it works together with the audio? Any ideas or suggestions anyone? :scratch: :crazy: Thanks for your time.

groink

Post by groink » Dec 26th, '06, 06:00

Were the files downloaded from D-Addicts? If so, which ones are they?

wee mount

D-addicts torrents

Post by wee mount » Dec 26th, '06, 06:15

Yes, Itoshi Kimie raw, all of the Jumong episodes 1-26, Glass Slippers, Winter Sonata, 101st Proposal

yieebo

Post by yieebo » Dec 26th, '06, 06:36

i had a problem with certain .avi files not playing on my Mac with QuickTime, so i used, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html and it plays smoothly. you might try that if you already haven't.
Last edited by yieebo on Dec 26th, '06, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.

wee mount

Post by wee mount » Dec 26th, '06, 06:56

Thank you, Yieebo.
I did go to the website to download but it required me to join them for a year minimum and I decided against that. Thanks anyway for your suggestion. I'm still hoping there are other ideas out there to help me solve this problem.
Last edited by wee mount on Dec 26th, '06, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

omoiyou

Post by omoiyou » Dec 26th, '06, 07:07

what are your graphic cards on those machines? Maybe you have integrated which suck at decoding some advanced formats

wee mount

Post by wee mount » Dec 26th, '06, 07:14

I wondered about that so I am downloading a single file tonight on one of the other machines I have to see if its a problem with the torrent or not. I also plan to take one of the burned DVDs to a computer store and ask to use it in their fastest machine to see how it plays. What specs do you think are minimum for a graphic card that I should be looking for? Can you give me more information about what you mean by advanced formats? Thanks for responding.

yieebo

Post by yieebo » Dec 26th, '06, 07:23

wee mount wrote:Thank you, Yieebo.
I did go to the website to download but it required me to join them for a year minimum and I decided against that. Thanks anyway for your suggestion. I'm still hoping there are other ideas out there to help me solve this problem.
oh! how horrible! sorry, i should have checked the link beforehand. i downloaded it free earlier this year... there must be a no-strings version somewhere though. well sorry about that, good luck with finding a solution.

edit: i found the Windows version, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html lol if you still want to check that out, i don't use Windows but the Mac version works for certain types of files.

Ichigono Usagi

Post by Ichigono Usagi » Apr 5th, '07, 20:04

HOpe it's okay to post here since I have the same problem and didn't want to start a new post...

I've got audio sync problems with Goong S ep20 - The sound is ahead of the video. The file downloaded fine so it shouldn't be that problem - I've opened it in 3 applications and it's the same problem so I'm at a loss to what it could be or if I'm the only one experiencing it. Help? :cry:

EDIT: I've went through torrent to check the file and it's fine - I've played it again in real player and it seems that the sound is how it should be but the video doesn't follow - it's slow and pauses for a second here and there - I clicked the time line in different places and sometimes the audio and video sync but then the audio carries on as it should and the video slows :cry:

wee mount

audio/video sync

Post by wee mount » Apr 7th, '07, 20:41

I still haven't figured out what the problem is. I bought a new machine and the downloads? or playback for sure haven't been right. I did re-download one of the files on my old machine. no problem so I decided that it is, in fact, something about my new machine that is the problem. Is it the media chip or program? I haven't had time to pursue it further. Is this a recent problem for you or have you always had this issue? :scratch:

RonTheMan

Post by RonTheMan » Apr 7th, '07, 23:58

Try to uninstall all codec packs you have install and then only install Xvid, AC3 codecs. It could be a case of codec conflict that you guys are getting problem with.

wee mount

sound/picture sync

Post by wee mount » Apr 8th, '07, 12:01

I didnt install codecs on the machine when I got it so I guess I'll have to find what codecs already came with the media program to uninstall them? I just downloaded bittorrent and started using it. I had read something about codecs in the FAQ previously but I didn't know how it applied to my situation since I didn't have this problem before.. When I have more time, I will try to do what you suggest and learn more to understand this download/layback process better. Thanks so much for sharing your idea. What you say makes good possible sense. Now I just have to do it, which I seem to find often sounds easier than said. :roll But, hey, there's a learning curve to everything!! Thanks again for your reply and time. :D

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Apr 8th, '07, 15:39

is it just those videos? or all other videos that use the same codec? you may want to use ffdshow. for some reason my ATI card makes the video lag on my computer if i just use the regular XviD codec. ffdshow corrects it for me.

Ichigono Usagi

Post by Ichigono Usagi » May 11th, '07, 15:19

Nope - the codec un-re install doesn't help me. It's the Goong S ep20 from here - for some reason it just doesn't want to play it properly in any of my players. I don't know if it's a problem on my end or with the file. As for another codec, which one to get?
I also have a problem with no sound on one of my avi files - It's AC3 so I don't know if that's why I can't hear a thing with that one? :unsure:

BoobieWonda

Post by BoobieWonda » May 14th, '07, 17:45

Hi there
I am also having the exact same problem... I have tried different programs, burning to DVD and different computers in the house. I have also heard this might be a problem with the codec however i have not tried uninstallin/re yet. I came across a site that stated it might have to do with slow download speed combined with multiple downloads done at once (to fix slow downloads i was told to forward ports).
any thought would be great cos its driving me nuts.

raider73

Post by raider73 » May 14th, '07, 19:28

Try InTr4nceWeTrust's suggestion first and use the ffdshow filter w/ a player like Media Player Classic. In my experience, ffdshow is the best filter out there and it'll play almost everything. Also, it's the best because you can upconvert your video for better clarity.

Get the latest ffdshow:
http://sourceforge.net/project/download ... r=easynews

Or get the CCCP codec pack:
This is the best pack, IMO, since this is the codec pack most anime groups used for their release so it plays almost everything also. It includes ffdshow but not the latest version.
http://www.cccp-project.net/download.php?type=cccp

RoninQ

Post by RoninQ » May 25th, '07, 11:50

I'm having problems with the recent Maison Ikkoku file, the one encoded with x264. At first I played it with the suggested VLC player but it didn't quite work (it got stuck but the audio kept on playing). So after going around this forum, I chose to get Media Classic Player with K-lite Codec Pack (Full). This time around, the video played smoothly but the audio didn't match it. The video sort of slows here and there while the audio played on without a hitch. Other files played on beautifully. What can I do to play this 1GB+ file which took me a very long time to download? Its frustrating to say the least.