Subtitles on Stand Alone Player

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
JoeCheng

Subtitles on Stand Alone Player

Post by JoeCheng » Aug 28th, '07, 17:28

Hi everyone!
I´ve got a big problem and after installing about 10 programms on my PC without positive results maybe someone here at d-addicts is able to help me..

I bought a Pensonic DVD-3608 DVD-Player last week and it is able to support mpeg4/divX Files.
If I try to play a DVD with an avi file and the srt file (same name as avi file) it shows the video file but not the subtitles.. So it seems to me that the DVD Player can´t play srt files.

So I tried many ways like Sub2DivX and muxxing and so on.. but no way worked.

What I want is a way to play the subtitles without hardsubbing it. I want to be able to choose if I want to watch with the subtitle or not..
And I don´t want to reencode for hours..

So now my question is: Is there a way to bind the subtitles on the avi file so that the DVD Player is able to show the subtitles without having to hardsubb it or to take hours for transforming and reencoding?

I hope someone is able to help me.. =)

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Subtitles on Stand Alone Player

Post by AkumaX » Aug 29th, '07, 02:02

Taken from YesAsia on DVD-3608
User from YesAsia wrote:I use this unit purely for watching my movie. Sound and video playback is flawless, and it handles subtitles very nicely as long as you follow the directions in the manual. I love the small size too.
Not knowing the directions in the manual, i'll assume that the player will read .srt's

I'm assuming that you name the .avi and .srt the same (e.g. movie01.avi and movie01.srt)
Burn those to a disk, and you either:

a) use the dvd player browser to navigate to the movie.srt, press the subtitle button, play the .avi file, and then press the subtitle button (this is how you do it in the Panasonic DVP-642)
or
b) play the .avi file and press the subtitle button

who knows, good luck!

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Aug 29th, '07, 02:14

i use divxmuxwizz http://labs.divx.com/files/support/setupDivXMuxWizz.exe (must have current divx codec installed) to integrate the subs on to the avi file that will be selectable and not hardsubbed:

takes about 3mins to encode and using the program is pretty self explanatory, open avi file, open sub/srt file, then encode. after the encode the file will have the ".divx" extension, just change it to ".avi", for example:

before encoding:
sample.avi

after encoding:
sample.divx

change back to:
sample.avi

JoeCheng

Post by JoeCheng » Aug 29th, '07, 07:48

First I want to thank you for your replies =)

@AkmuaX
I allready tried that.. and I also read the comment at YesAsia..
But it isn´t working.
I´m naming the files the same as the avi file. But when I play the DVD with the player the srt files aren´t shown. And when I select the avi file and press the subtitle button it only shows off as possibility
And I also read the whole Operation Manual.. but theres nothing about it in..

@itsukiD
Thanks for the Program I will try this one..
I allready tried sub2divX and DivXMuxxGUI but my PC allways showed an error message and stopped the process.. -.- But I hope with this one it will work..

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Aug 29th, '07, 07:57

jus remember to have the latest Divx codec installed before you use the program

JoeCheng

Post by JoeCheng » Aug 29th, '07, 08:04

I´ve the DivX Codec 6.2 or something like this.. I think this is the newest.. so I will try it now.. =) Hope it works

JoeCheng

Post by JoeCheng » Aug 29th, '07, 12:24

Waaaahhhh!
I installed everything but now there are two mainproblems.. the first one is:

When I open DivXMuxWizz and select a file and a srt file it works with some files with others it either finishes it after 2 seconds and tells me the path of the outputfile but there is none or it tells me that there is a problem with the Programm and that windows has to close it..
I tried some eps of Coffee Prince and Time of Dog and wolf and they didn´t work.
Love and Farm worked and it gave me an output file.

But now there is my second problem:
When I open the file I can see only a green window and the sound but no picture even the DivX Player can´t play the file.. but I have the newest codec on my PC..
And I got the problem that I can´t rename the file from movie.divx into movie.avi because my PC doesn´t show the file ends.. and I couldn´t find the menue to change that..

Can someone help me with this?

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Aug 29th, '07, 18:21

hmm... make sure you are encoding avi files that have the divx codec. most of the episodes for coffee prince and time of dog and wolf are available with h264 codec and divx codec. the reasons why divxmuxwizz is failing is cuz the file is not divx encoded and also the same reason why you will not see video on your standalone player.

you might want to download the [ental] versions of these episodes cuz these are encoded with divx, instead of [mickeybaby] cuz they are h264 encoded.

alternative... if you have the h264 versions and you dont want to download the divx versions, you can convert them using Dr.Divx. I don't know how long the process takes but if you test it out and its faster than downloading, then do that. this will ensure that the files will work on you standalone player and the files will definitely work on divxmuxwizz.

to see the file extension:
go to Tools>Folder Options>View then uncheck Hide extensions for known file types

good luck
D

fayewolf

Post by fayewolf » Sep 5th, '07, 14:17

I'm having the exact same problems.... my Philips 5982 is cutting off a good portion of my subtitles, not displaying the 2nd line etc to a point where it's very irritating and bothered me alot.

I tried divxmuxx also and have the same problem, 2 sec and the file is no where to be found. I used it with Kuitan

I wonder if anyone can suggest a DVD player where subtitle isn't an issue??

I have an avayon that does not have a problem at all but it every other day it will break and says disc loading....

JoeCheng

Post by JoeCheng » Sep 5th, '07, 19:04

I think I really tried everything now.. but nothing is really working.. maybe I should think about buying an DVD Player which supports srt files.. but then again I really don´t have the money for that..
-.-

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Sep 5th, '07, 20:48

k.. i jus tried integrating subs on kuitan. on the one hand, no errors with the files encoded with divx5.21, but when i tried to encode anything divx6, like you guys, the program stopped. i did some research and found out that a .net program update is needed. plus, this never happened before until i downloaded the latest CCCP program/latest Divx6.x. i will post any additional findings when i can.

fayewolf

Post by fayewolf » Sep 5th, '07, 23:04

itsukiD wrote:k.. i jus tried integrating subs on kuitan. on the one hand, no errors with the files encoded with divx5.21, but when i tried to encode anything divx6, like you guys, the program stopped. i did some research and found out that a .net program update is needed. plus, this never happened before until i downloaded the latest CCCP program/latest Divx6.x. i will post any additional findings when i can.
Really much appreciated!!! Now, the files I downloaded are from the batch, I'm not sure what is divx5.21 or divx6, but i did download the latest divx6 codec, i tried endocing episodes 1-5 didn't work, 6 worked but the file was not playable on my laptop.....

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Sep 7th, '07, 21:26

k.. here's what i tried. used dr divx to re-encode kuitan ep9, took two hours to re-encode on 2.2ghz system. then i tried to use divxmuxwizz. ERROR. found out thru some tests, that it was the SRT file that was not allowing the program to run correctly. so, opened the srt file in Subtitle Workshop, quick save and put it thru divxmuxwizz. SUCCESS!!! ps the .net framework did not need to be updated. i apologize in advance for the poor picture quality, the camera is only 4mp, but i was tryin to showcase the subs, trust me there was no quality loss.

here's what it looks like:
on philips dvp5960 with Porkupan Firmware on sony 50"

marrying a millionaire ep1 (same setup)

n jus for sh**s n giggles, Kuitan ep 9 on pioneer 393s on rca 50
':
dissapointed with the pioneer cuz the subs were not centered, it was like justified left.

remember the output of the file is divx, so remember to change the file extension after all conversions, dr.divx, divxmuxwizz.

so good luck you guys... most of the additional tools used in this experiment can be found on videohelp.com

as for the .ass subs, i have yet to try them on divxmuxwizz... i dont think they are supported on divxmuxwizz, maybe when i have some free time ill try to figure out a way to do so.

pm me if you need further assistance.
D

delsxyz

Re: Subtitles on Stand Alone Player

Post by delsxyz » Sep 7th, '07, 21:57

JoeCheng wrote:Hi everyone!
I´ve got a big problem and after installing about 10 programms on my PC without positive results maybe someone here at d-addicts is able to help me..

I bought a Pensonic DVD-3608 DVD-Player last week and it is able to support mpeg4/divX Files.
If I try to play a DVD with an avi file and the srt file (same name as avi file) it shows the video file but not the subtitles.. So it seems to me that the DVD Player can´t play srt files.

So I tried many ways like Sub2DivX and muxxing and so on.. but no way worked.

What I want is a way to play the subtitles without hardsubbing it. I want to be able to choose if I want to watch with the subtitle or not..
And I don´t want to reencode for hours..

So now my question is: Is there a way to bind the subtitles on the avi file so that the DVD Player is able to show the subtitles without having to hardsubb it or to take hours for transforming and reencoding?

I hope someone is able to help me.. =)
:alcoholic:
I shall ask following questions:
1: How did you burn avi and srt onto your disc (DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, etc.)
A - I used Nero, I used VSO, I used Ashampoo Burning, xxxx

Now the real question. How did you burn it?
DVD-ROM (ISO), DVD-ROM(UDF), DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO)?
Above is from Nero's New compilation menu for DVD.
If your burning software does not give you any choice, mostlikely its default
is UDF/ISO. It is a known fact at the time first very popular Divx DVD player
came to the market. (i.e. Phililps DVP642) that subtitles only show up when you
used ISO. If you used UDF/ISO, subtitles do not show up. If you used UDF,
subtitles do not show up.

As long as avi file and srt has the same name, (except extension)
123.avi
123.srt
and you burned it onto DVD-R or DVD+R or DVD+RW using ISO format,
Divx certified player will play subtitles (following the method described in
manual) the possibility is very high that your Panasoni DVD player is a Divx certified
one. Then, iso fortmat might be your problem solver.

What if your current burning software does not give you any choices?
Then, get eitehr Nero v6 or Nero 7 lite.

:salut:

delsxyz

This is how I usually do.

Post by delsxyz » Sep 7th, '07, 22:13

fayewolf wrote:I'm having the exact same problems.... my Philips 5982 is cutting off a good portion of my subtitles, not displaying the 2nd line etc to a point where it's very irritating and bothered me alot.

I tried divxmuxx also and have the same problem, 2 sec and the file is no where to be found. I used it with Kuitan

I have an avayon that does not have a problem at all but it every other day it will break and says disc loading....

I usally burn avis onto DVD+RW and play it on Divx certified player (like Toishiba, Samsung, Phililps, etc.) And check if subtitles are readable or not. If subtitles are
chopped off badly, I re-encode the video in letterbox. Details as follows.

RE-encoding: Use eitehr TMPGEnc or VirtualDub or any other which can give you
resize function. For example in VirtualDub, if you have installed plugins, you might
see resize in
Video-Filters...then ADD. You shall see bunches of installed filters, and find
Resize.
If the original video is 704x396,
then New size (x)Relative % 90 (then the absolute vale changes to 633.6x356.4
automatically. Aspect ratio (x) same as source
Framing Options: Letterbox/crop to size 704x396

now OK to close. Pick your video compression, like Divx 6.61 Codec (specify
Home Theater Profile, Encoding presets (your choice 6~7 or even 10)
Rate control. your choice like 1 pass bitrate 1500 (just an example)
and video tab. (x) No resize Image Processing Interface: Change to De-interlace source
as many avis are interlaced.

Now start encoding. You shall see black boarders around the picture. When you
view video on TV screen, this blackboard will ensure that the subtitles are shown
100%.(will not be chopped off)

fayewolf

Re: This is how I usually do.

Post by fayewolf » Sep 7th, '07, 22:36

delsxyz wrote:
fayewolf wrote:I'm having the exact same problems.... my Philips 5982 is cutting off a good portion of my subtitles, not displaying the 2nd line etc to a point where it's very irritating and bothered me alot.

I usally burn avis onto DVD+RW and play it on Divx certified player (like Toishiba, Samsung, Phililps, etc.) And check if subtitles are readable or not. If subtitles are
chopped off badly, I re-encode the video in letterbox. Details as follows.

RE-encoding: Use eitehr TMPGEnc or VirtualDub or any other which can give you
resize function. For example in VirtualDub, if you have installed plugins, you might
see resize in
Video-Filters...then ADD. You shall see bunches of installed filters, and find
Resize.
If the original video is 704x396,
then New size (x)Relative % 90 (then the absolute vale changes to 633.6x356.4
automatically. Aspect ratio (x) same as source
Framing Options: Letterbox/crop to size 704x396

now OK to close. Pick your video compression, like Divx 6.61 Codec (specify
Home Theater Profile, Encoding presets (your choice 6~7 or even 10)
Rate control. your choice like 1 pass bitrate 1500 (just an example)
and video tab. (x) No resize Image Processing Interface: Change to De-interlace source
as many avis are interlaced.

Now start encoding. You shall see black boarders around the picture. When you
view video on TV screen, this blackboard will ensure that the subtitles are shown
100%.(will not be chopped off)
Thanks for the detail explanations!! I'll test this out!! Do you know how long it takes approximately for each episodes to re-encode? Thanks!

delsxyz

up to

Post by delsxyz » Sep 7th, '07, 23:05

Everything is up to
a: Your Processor's speed
b: Co-current activity (like you are not encoding it while you sleep or when
there is no other activiity vs you are encoding it while you are downloading
files using BT client)
c: Filters and settings ( Resize, brightness, color control, de-interlacing, noise
reduction, etc.)
You can do some test by using VirtualDub's jobcontrol.
ex All filters save as 1 and start...and see estimated finish time.
Eliminate one filter and save it as 1 and start...and see estimated finish time

JoeCheng

Post by JoeCheng » Sep 8th, '07, 18:59

Thanks for the detailed information.. I don´t know if I´m burning them with ISO or UDF but I will check it out thanks.
If I can´t burn it with ISO I will try out nero..
I´m using SonicDVD burning software now but I never knew that there is a difference in how I burn them.. so I will try it out.. =)

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Sep 9th, '07, 09:54

k.. finally got around to testing if i could integrate the subs onto a divx file after putting the SRT file thru "Subtitle Workshop" without re-encoding the episode. bad news: the video's transition/motion were pixelated, but on the brighter side: it did integrate the subs onto the file. thats gonna be a pain to re-encode each episode.

i'm guessing that divxmuxwizz works with a certain divx codec and not compatible with the newer one installed in most of our systems.

so if anyone out there has a better solution, plz help us or else we'll be re-ecoding forever =(

gL
D

JoeCheng

Post by JoeCheng » Sep 9th, '07, 15:24

So I tried to burn with Nero 7.
I selected DVD (ISO) and then selected the files (Videoname = Subtitlename) but the subtitles still doesn´t show up...

delsxyz

Did you really follow the manual?

Post by delsxyz » Sep 9th, '07, 17:03

JoeCheng wrote:So I tried to burn with Nero 7.
I selected DVD (ISO) and then selected the files (Videoname = Subtitlename) but the subtitles still doesn´t show up...
If you followed two directions, but yet you could not see subtitles on screen.
Then, there is nothing you can do.
A- Media
Burned as ISO (from Nero 7), with proper names for avi and srt files.
B-as long as you follow the directions in the manual
There are various ways. Toshiba, Panasonic, Samseung. Philips and your Pensonic.
For example. The popular Philips specifies as follows

1. On the Disc Menu use UP/DOWN keys to highlight the subtitle file.
2. Press SUBTITLE button. "DIVX SUBTITLE SELECTED" appears on TV screen.
3. Press UP/DOWN to higlight the movie, press OK to play.

During the playback press SUBTITLE to select available font: SUBTITLE1/1, LATIN 1 (ISO 8859-1), LATIN 2 (ISO 8859-2), CYRILLIC (ISO 8859-5).
Subtitle files with following filename extensions srt, smi, sub are supported.
Using 8+3 English filenames with plain English subs.
If your file name is (as nowadays file names are getting longer and longer)
ex Hanazakari no Kimitachi e ep10 (704x396 ).avi
and if sub is Hanazakari no Kimitachi e ep10 (704x396 ).srt
then, your player cannot handle files internally.
you must rename them as in
Hanazaka.avi Hanazaka.srt

You should read the manual of PENSONIC player and make sure you really follow
the method. If you say you followed every line, then, you are simply doomed.
Use google to enter Pensonic xxx player or Pensonic xxxx subtitles or something
to see if there are specific ways to play subtitles.

fayewolf

Post by fayewolf » Sep 14th, '07, 03:30

itsukiD wrote:k.. here's what i tried. used dr divx to re-encode kuitan ep9, took two hours to re-encode on 2.2ghz system. then i tried to use divxmuxwizz. ERROR. found out thru some tests, that it was the SRT file that was not allowing the program to run correctly. so, opened the srt file in Subtitle Workshop, quick save and put it thru divxmuxwizz. SUCCESS!!! ps the .net framework did not need to be updated. i apologize in advance for the poor picture quality, the camera is only 4mp, but i was tryin to showcase the subs, trust me there was no quality loss.

here's what it looks like:
on philips dvp5960 with Porkupan Firmware on sony 50"

marrying a millionaire ep1 (same setup)

n jus for sh**s n giggles, Kuitan ep 9 on pioneer 393s on rca 50
':
dissapointed with the pioneer cuz the subs were not centered, it was like justified left.

remember the output of the file is divx, so remember to change the file extension after all conversions, dr.divx, divxmuxwizz.

so good luck you guys... most of the additional tools used in this experiment can be found on videohelp.com

as for the .ass subs, i have yet to try them on divxmuxwizz... i dont think they are supported on divxmuxwizz, maybe when i have some free time ill try to figure out a way to do so.

pm me if you need further assistance.
D
I tried putting the avi and srt file on same directory as divxmuxwizz and it worked but the file was not playable even on windows media player :(

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » Sep 14th, '07, 04:26

you are dooommmeeedd!!!!! hehe joke

you have to re-encode them, there's just no other way.

Here is a straightforward solution. Reencode them to mpeg2 or DVD format. Mpeg2 looks absolutely better than divx on a big screen with full rich detail.

http://playbackhelp.com/doc/guides/queue/

Once you're up and about, everything is simple as putting the files in "que." You batch encode as many as you like.