Viewing Movies From External Hard Drive On TV

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
Valentin

Viewing Movies From External Hard Drive On TV

Post by Valentin » Jan 28th, '08, 06:28

I don't know if this question has been asked before, and I apologize in advance if it has; I did a quick search for similar topics, but came up empty. Anyway, I would like to know if there's a way to view movies on one's television from an external hard drive. Specifically, I have a 500GB external hard drive which I'm planning to store movies on that I've ripped off of DVDs (my own DVDs, in case anyone cares about the legality of it all). I'd like to be able to hook up the external hard drive to my TV and then be able to watch movies from there.

groink

Post by groink » Jan 28th, '08, 06:38

There are several topics on this subject. To summarize the solutions that have been given:

1. For desktop PCs, obtain a video card with video out, such as S-Video, and connect it to the TV. ATI and several other companies make these video cards. Most modern TVs have S-Video input. Most modern laptops also have S-Video out. Don't forget to connect the audio as well.

2. Use a modded XBox 360 to play downloaded videos. Also recently, the 2.10 firmware for the Playstation 3 allows you to play Divx/Xvid video on a TV. Downside is that the PS3 cannot play softsubs.

3. Purchase a DVD player that can handle downloaded files. LG and Phillips are two popular makers of these players.

4. Some of use have purchased USB-based external hard disk kits with video out capabilities. This is the way I view videos.

--- groink

Valentin

Post by Valentin » Jan 29th, '08, 19:50

Thank you for the help! I'm sorry I seem to have missed everything that has been posted concerning this question. If you don't mind my impinging on you a bit more, could you please point me to topics addressing each of the 4 solutions that you mentioned? I'd especially like to know more about your solution (i.e. the 4th one). Thanks for the help!

i4ybrid

Post by i4ybrid » Jan 29th, '08, 23:40

If you google hard drive enclosure divx, you should be able find some enclosures with VGA out.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Jan 30th, '08, 06:06

http://www.oppodigital.com/
Several Oppo DVD players have USB ports, plus they support soft subs....