Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Torrent Availability

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
BouncingFerret

Torrent Availability

Post by BouncingFerret » Apr 27th, '08, 21:31

Okay, i havent been able to download anything in the past couple months and its getting on my nerves.
When i put the torrent into the torrent downloader Utorrent, it says there is NO availability, even though i know they are seeding...i left a couple on for days on end to see if they moved anywhere, and no luck..
Anyone know whats going on?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 29th, '08, 23:05

it's possible your ISP may be blocking your traffic.

nzinga

Post by nzinga » May 13th, '08, 06:09

I'm having the same problem. I thought it was my firewall, but nothing is downloading via bit torrent even after I turned all my firewalls off.

My ISP is AT&T/Yahoo in the US, and they are the only choice for DSL in my area. I don't use cable for my TV, so there's no cable Internet option. I really hope AT&T/Yahoo isn't blocking all offshore torrents. :(

I was soooo looking forward to finally seeing some dramas I love with English subtitles. :cry:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 14th, '08, 00:04

nzinga: first of all, we have a thread somewhere here about at&t blocking DA (i think).

i don't have much good news for you except that if you are catching tv through an antennae, that will stop in less than a year. i believe feb 2009, all analog is going to stop, forcing you to use either cable or satellite.

nzinga

Post by nzinga » May 15th, '08, 00:37

I've been testing utorrent, and there's no problem with other torrents. I also found out that AT&T is not known for throttling in the Western US (one of the replies was from someone downloading a fansub).

Therefore I'm wondering if the tracker is actually down. I've been trying to download some of jem's older torrents (http://jem.d-addicts.com/). I also installed Pando, but the ones I wanted weren't on his Pando tracker yet. Could someone else check out his torrents and see if they have any problem with them? Maybe they just aren't available anymore...?

groink

Post by groink » May 15th, '08, 01:22

Tracker is definitely not down. If it was, we would be flooded with MANY more posts regarding the tracker. One of the rules-of-thumb about the Internet: If no one else is discussing it, then it must be a localized problem.

--- groink

nzinga

Post by nzinga » May 15th, '08, 05:42

Interestingly, when I was assuming the problem was my ISP, I got virtually the same response from the forum: if the ISP were blocking torrents, there would be a flood of people complaining.

There's no flood of complaints about the ISP, and there's no flood of complaints about the tracker. Yet I've never had a problem with utorrent in the past (re: no problem with my firewall), and I'm able to download torrents from other sites.

I started with the assumption that the problem was "local", and I came back here after checking other possibilities. If there's nothing wrong with the tracker, then what is blocking the torrent?

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » May 15th, '08, 05:53

Are you port forwarded?

dudesterific

Post by dudesterific » May 15th, '08, 06:09

have u installed any new antivirus / firewall programs before you noticed the problems? lots of antivirus programs are packaged with all sorts of security programs. I've noticed in the past that some of these firewall programs continue to block access to my computer even after i turn it off. Complete uninstall seems the only way i fixed it back then.

And yep, make sure your port is forwarded. How about maybe updating utorrent? the beta versions are really nice! Just throwing some other ideas.

Good luck.

groink

Post by groink » May 15th, '08, 06:13

nzinga wrote:If there's nothing wrong with the tracker, then what is blocking the torrent?
It may not be a block. Did you check routing?

1. Ping d-addicts.net . It should resolve to 89.149.226.119

2. Do a tracert to 89.149.226.119 (d-addicts.net) and see if all the hops are successful. If at some point the traceroute cannot reach that IP address, then a gateway "somewhere" betweeen your ISP and D-Addicts is not routing correctly.

3. Try going to http://d-addicts.net:7979 with a web browser and see if you get anything. You should get a torrent listing.

4. Try going to http://d-addicts.net . You should see the message "Move along, nothing to see here."

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 15th, '08, 23:06

nzinga: rather silly question, but are you talking about old torrents, or new ones? also, is this only for one series, or multiple series. basically, you're saying you don't get good speeds with ANY d-add torrent?

nzinga

Post by nzinga » May 16th, '08, 17:19

Thanks again for attempting to help me! Yes I was trying older programs.

I'm not using Port Forwarding, but I did install a new anti-spyware program recently (a free one called SUPERantispyware). It wasn't running at the time I was trying to download stuff, and I don't see any evidence of background processes in my Task Manager. I don't have any anti-virus program set to start automatically when I turn my computer (just double-checked using WinPatrol). Is there anything else I can do to find out if one of my security programs is blocking the torrent? (Ps. my main anti-virus is AVG, not Norton).

I tried all the network tests suggested by groink, and happily all of them passed.

A friend who told me he was able to download anime fansubs using the same ISP is going to try downloading something to see if it works for him.

As for speeds, my DSL is currently fairly slow, often dipping below 100kb/s. However, torrents still work, and the problem with this one is it isn't starting at all.

There is one thing I haven't mentioned, and maybe this is causing a problem. Since the old torrents are so big, I'm only checking a couple of the programs inside to download. Perhaps its the option that allows you to select only some of the files from the torrent package that's not working right for me?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 17th, '08, 18:11

nzinga wrote:Thanks again for attempting to help me! Yes I was trying older programs......

There is one thing I haven't mentioned, and maybe this is causing a problem. Since the old torrents are so big, I'm only checking a couple of the programs inside to download. Perhaps its the option that allows you to select only some of the files from the torrent package that's not working right for me?
nzinga: if it's an older program, then that's different. you made it sound as if you can't get any torrent to work for you from DA. there's several reasons why an older torrent may not work as well. please stay on the torrent and be patient. hopefully, someone will be able to drop by and help (seed).

nzinga

Post by nzinga » May 17th, '08, 19:00

The downloads I tried did show one seed, which might not have been working. What confused me is that when I had my firewall on, it showed a red up arrow, which made it look like a signal I sent was being blocked. But maybe it was lack of seeds.

dudesterific

Post by dudesterific » May 17th, '08, 19:38

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 19th, '08, 22:52

nzinga wrote:The downloads I tried did show one seed, which might not have been working. What confused me is that when I had my firewall on, it showed a red up arrow, which made it look like a signal I sent was being blocked. But maybe it was lack of seeds.
it's definitely the file. just because the tracker shows a seed or two, if you are unable to connect to them, you will still experience poor dl speeds.