Acer eRecovery Managment and black screen in WinVista

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Acer eRecovery Managment and black screen in WinVista

Post by Keiko1981 » Jul 30th, '08, 11:13

I've got an Acer Aspire M5640 (WinVista Home Premium) computer and having problem creating the recovery disc(s) when using Acer eRecovery Managment program.
I want to create the factory default disc and drivers and programs (application?) disc I get the message "error code 3 insert an empty CD/DVD".

I swear the day Vista crashes for me I will have XP reinstalled. I just don't like this OS. :thumbdown:
It's like WIndows Me once again.

Now also trouble with NVIDIA 8800 GeForce GT, drivers version 7.15.11.6921. (Black screen when booting up/or after having been in sleep mode)
Tried to downgrade to VGA display drivers (Microsoft) it didn't work, upgraded to the latests NVIDIA drivers (see above).

Edit: Black screen was something simple as dead monitor.
I went back to the place where I bought the computer and asked them simply if it was possible that I could change to a computer with WinXP and it it was ok.
Problem solved.
Last edited by Keiko1981 on Sep 29th, '08, 10:04, edited 4 times in total.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 30th, '08, 23:18

not only should you try googling the error message in quotes, but you should also google for free option to switch vista to xp. i heard a rumor that there is such an option.

Riea

Post by Riea » Jul 31st, '08, 00:02

I agree with jholic, you should try to google the error to find out what the message means and possible solutions. Another option would be to contact whatever company you purchased the computer from and see if they can help you. Another option would be looking into another backup software if possible, I've generally had decent success with symantec's Norton Ghost.

I've also looked into the vista to xp oem downgrade (vista doesn't like my video card/drivers), but most manufacturers don't offer it easily and it only applies to vista ultimate or business versions, so any and all home versions are out of luck. Also believe the option is only available prior to system purchase.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jul 31st, '08, 01:49

Riea wrote:I agree with jholic, you should try to google the error to find out what the message means and possible solutions. Another option would be to contact whatever company you purchased the computer from and see if they can help you. Another option would be looking into another backup software if possible, I've generally had decent success with symantec's Norton Ghost.

I've also looked into the vista to xp oem downgrade (vista doesn't like my video card/drivers), but most manufacturers don't offer it easily and it only applies to vista ultimate or business versions, so any and all home versions are out of luck. Also believe the option is only available prior to system purchase.
I found someone who had the exact same problem with Notebook: http://forum.notebookreview.com/archive ... 32944.html
Looks like it has something to do with the software.
I've also called the Acer Support Team and explained the situation. They didn't have a solution for me so they would send me an Recovery disc(s).

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 4th, '08, 09:16

I've only used Vista for a few weeks but I'm seriously regretting getting it. I wanted a better a computer, but I got more trouble out it. Mr. Bill is very disliked by me now. :x
Also trouble with a black screen (I can hear the welcome to windows sound and HD working) I have to reboot the computer the get the screen the work.
I also have the same problem when leaving sleep mode.

The computer I have has WinVista Home Premium pre-installed.
Isn't there any way I can go back to XP?
Format HD, reinstall XP, but then what? I don't have any drivers whatsoever for motherboard, videocard etc and I don't think I'll manage it myself. I think I have to ask someone to help me do that.

cool_drama
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cool_drama » Aug 4th, '08, 09:42

Get a copy of Xp and install it. As for drivers, you can go to the acer driver site for ur desktop and find out what hardware you have and then go to that hardware's website and get the xp driver. A quick look and it seems like ur motherboard uses nvidia chipset(LAN,CPU chipset..etc),. You have Realtek audio, tv tuner and nvidia video card. you can get nvidia chipset and video card drivers for xp at nvidia website, realtek audio at realtek website and tv tuner at its website. do the same for other hardware if you have more. I've downgraded all my laptops and custom PC's to XP. should be no problem for your PC too.

vista will crash on you sometimes soon as it did for me even on vista 64bit. Xp is the way to go now until windows 7.

robx

Post by robx » Aug 17th, '08, 05:22

some pc now days are quite difficult to downgrade to xp. Some hardware company just decides to quite making drivers for XP period. My cousins new HP he bought, we tried to downgrade it, but intel did not provide a driver for his wireless lan. I forget which model it was, but there was definitely no driver for his internal wireless card, so he had to purchase a bus card.

Of course the wireless isn't a real big issue, but its enough to irritate some.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 24th, '08, 16:42

I've left my computer where I bought it.
Telling them to install WinXP and find the drivers for it (in case I need to reinstall it) and burn them on CD/DVD.
I've been without computer for two weeks now. :(
Let's hope I will be back here soon. :)

hma9000

Post by hma9000 » Sep 22nd, '08, 03:50

Instructions to downgrade Acer Aspire M5640 to Windows XP successfully

I bought an Acer Aspire M 5460 computer 2 weeks ago. Tried to “UPGRADE “ to Windows XP but failed. The blue “error” page kept coming up and stopped. Then I Googled to see if there are any helpful tips on the net. I couldn’t find anything helpful. I decided to paste what I did to help whoever wants to do the same thing.
I found instructions on Acer’s Taiwan website and downloaded necessary driver from this website. This information is not available from Acer’s North American websites. I decided to keep the original hard drive with Vista OS and installed a new hard drive. If I want to “downgrade” to Vista down the road, I won’t have to waste time to do it again. The hard drive I used is SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 32MB Cache SATA , Model # ST3500320AS. It cost me $70 Canadian Dollars ( I’m in Canada).
The tricky part was to get the right driver, which is only available from Acer’s Taiwan website, to start. That’s why some people had problems to UPGRADE to XP in North America. Please go through the following procedures to get the right driver.
First, click this link: http://www.acer.com.tw/driver.asp
1.There are 3 drop down bars on the center. Top one is default as "Desk Top Computers". Don't touch it. The second one is Series Name. Click "Aspire". The third one is for model numbers. Click "ASM 5640". Then click the small green button on the right hand side. It locates approximately 1 inch away from the third drop down bar.

2. Once you click the small green button. You will see a drop down bar underneath the green button. "Windows Vista" is default. Click this bar to choose your OS, which is Windows XP. Once you choose your OS. Wait. Don't touch the green button. The driver list will come up automatically.

3. There are English names for these drivers. There are 7 drivers available. The fifth one, SATA 10.1.0.20 ,0.48Mb, is what you need. This is a zipped file. You have to unzip it and download it to a floppy disk. (Note: If you need relevant XP related drivers later, you may follow the above procedures to get appropriate drivers here.)

Second, click this link: http://www.acer.com.tw/qanda.asp
1. There are 4 drop down bars on the center. Top one is default as "Desk Top Computers". Don't touch it. The second one is Series Name. Click "Aspire". The third one is for model numbers. Click "ASM 5640". The fourth one is Category. There are 7 options. Click the fourth one. The 4th one looks like this—作業系統, it means “Operation System” in Chinese. Then click the small green button on the right hand side. It locates approximately 1 inch away from the third drop down bar.
2. You will see two options come up. We want the lower one with a file number F200803025. Click the green “Q”.
3. You will see instructions to “UPGRADE” to Windows XP in Chinese.
4. The following is translation word by word. These screen shots will help.

Prerequisites:
(1) USB external floppy disk drive. ( I pulled out an internal floppy disk drive from an old computer, which worked just fine. There is a floppy connection on the motherboard.)
(2) One blank 1.44MB floppy disk. (Which I believe you downloaded the SATA file already)
(3) Windows XP SP2 CD
Procedures:
(1) Download SATA hard drive driver. Unzip the file and copy it to the floppy disk (which you just did). The file looks like screen shot.
(2) Put Windows XP SP2 CD into DVD-ROM.
(3) Turn on computer. Press “Del” key when you see Acer logo. Then check BIOS edition. If BIOS edition is R01-XXL, please upgrade to R01-XX (BIOS edition R01-A3 or higher is recommended.) (Note: I didn’t do anything on this part. My computer’s BIOS is R01-B2. Nothing needs to done. Maybe you don’t have to ,either.)
(4) Turn on computer and press “F12” or “F2” key to boot first from CD/DVD as per screen shot.
(5) When “ Press any key boot CD” comes up, hit any key.
(6) When Windows XP installation screen comes up, press F6.
(7) Press “S” key to install SATA driver as per 3 screen shots.
(8) Hit “Enter” to continue.
(9) During installation, when the following screen shot comes up, please enter “A:”.(Note: SRCDATA file “nvrd32.sys” doesn’t exist in “C:”. You have to direct it to copy it from “A:” )
(10) Get access to Windows XP Device Manager.
(11) Install chipset driver. Nvidia Geforce 7100 nForce 630i driver link: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_winxp_15.24.html
(12) Restart computer.
(13) Install Audio driver.
(14) Check Device Manager to see if there are any question marks or exclamation marks.

My Acer’s video card is ATI Radeon HD 3450. Driver’s link: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catal ... radeonx-xp

Good luck and happy upgrading.
:-)