Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

How to burn a 750MB video onto a 700MB cd??

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
paintingheart

How to burn a 750MB video onto a 700MB cd??

Post by paintingheart » Jan 13th, '09, 06:40

I hope someone can help me, because I came here especially to ask for people's advice and suggestions.... please.

I recently downloaded a movie that's about an hour long, but it's 750 MB, and I would like to burn the movie onto a CD so I can watch it on my TV, but I only have CDs that have 700 MB as the maximum limit. I can't burn a 750 MB movie onto a 700MB CD, so can anyone tell me how I could either overburn or decrease the MB size instead? I hope I can get some real help on this. Anyone?

br4nd0n

Post by br4nd0n » Jan 13th, '09, 06:59

sorry I have no idea if it's even possible without losing data or even failing.
I'd say buy a dvd recorder.

groink

Post by groink » Jan 13th, '09, 07:08

Split the file using hjsplit, and then burn the two parts to two CDs. But in order to play the video, you would need to copy the two parts from the CDs, and then hjsplit the two files back into one.

--- groink

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Jan 13th, '09, 07:29

Well, I think you can re-encode it using free software available on the net but you'll loose some quality.

veritati

Post by veritati » Jan 13th, '09, 07:35

How much you can overburn depends on the size and type of your blank disc, the burning software and the burner itself. I think overburning 30MB is possible but don't know about 50MB. You can always re-encode the file. There are plenty of free softwares out there that would do it for you. Check videohelp.com and Google should be your best friend.

groink

Post by groink » Jan 13th, '09, 07:46

Well, overburning has several issues. First, the combination of burner and disc will determine how much you can actually overburn. But even if you're able to overburn to 750MB, it isn't a guarantee that a different disc reader can actually read it. Remember that the purpose of burning to disc is for backup. It must be able to be read with a different reader.

--- groink

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jan 13th, '09, 15:06

I had bought 800mb "overburn" CDs a long time ago, and even with a decent burner, they didn't exactly work the greatest

a) either re-encode to 700mb
b) split into 2 CDs.
c) burn to DVD?

I'll assume a couple of things:
- it's a 750mb avi (most likely divx)
- you're playing it on a divx dvd player of some sort.
In this case, you can split into 2 avi parts by using some kind of AVI splitter before burning it on to 2 CDs.

paintingheart

Post by paintingheart » Jan 15th, '09, 01:32

Thanks! Well I've been reading people's responses to similar questions on another forum, and I think that if I re-encode and decrease the size of MB, I'll lose the video quality and maybe even sound quality as well. So I guess I'll just have to burn it onto a DVD instead of a CD. Thank you everyone. And yeah, the video is avi.

groink

Post by groink » Jan 15th, '09, 01:44

FWIW, whoever ripped the AVI to 750MB in the first place should get whacked in the head. Although it'll obviously fit on a DVD, the original ripper should have made a much bigger file - to make better use of a DVD blank disc (sure, DVD blanks are cheap, but it is the logic that's lacking here.) Does the original source of the AVI still have the non-AVI source? If so, maybe he can rip the file to 2GB and get a better quality file.

--- groink

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jan 15th, '09, 03:43

videohelp.com is a great resource. another option (maybe not a great one) is to change the file to a vcd or a svcd. of course, you would lose the original format.

or if you use freeware like autogk or something, you could try chopping off the title and the end credits or something (again, losing the original format). but is your video an AVI file?

paintingheart

Post by paintingheart » Jan 15th, '09, 04:13

groink wrote:FWIW, whoever ripped the AVI to 750MB in the first place should get whacked in the head. Although it'll obviously fit on a DVD, the original ripper should have made a much bigger file - to make better use of a DVD blank disc (sure, DVD blanks are cheap, but it is the logic that's lacking here.) Does the original source of the AVI still have the non-AVI source? If so, maybe he can rip the file to 2GB and get a better quality file.

--- groink
Well, it's actually a she. I messaged her and asked if she could possibly decrease the size to 700 with the original high video & sound quality intact, and she replied back saying that when she encodes the English subtitles onto the video, the MB just keeps on increasing. She said when she tried to lower it to 700, the entire quality was completely ruined. And she didn't know how to make it 700 without losing any quality. She only did what she knew, so it's really more of lack of knowledge. She's really kind and generous, and she loves to give without expecting anything in return. Which is why I didn't want to further ask for anything else from her. I feel like I'm just lucky enough to get the video in avi format (so I can watch it on tv) with excellent subs and high quality. Again, thanks for all your help!

paintingheart

Post by paintingheart » Jan 15th, '09, 04:23

jholic wrote: or if you use freeware like autogk or something, you could try chopping off the title and the end credits or something (again, losing the original format). but is your video an AVI file?
I decided I'll just burn it onto a DVD. Thanks though.

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Jan 15th, '09, 05:11

well, i know u decided to burn it on a dvd, but here's how i usually take care of this particular situation (if we're considering that the file is an .avi file encoded in xvid/divx).

1. cut or trim the movie with virtualdubmod or avidemux. i usually take out the studio credits, the end credits, and opening theme if there is one. (for detailed cuttin instructions, just ask) process time approx 5mins. if this doesnt take out enough i go to step 2.

2. demux and the re-encode audio. take the "trimmed" movie file in virtualdubmod, go to streams>stream list, then demux file. this will strip the "trimmed" movie of its audio, usually mp3 or ac3. take this file and re-encode to a smaller bitrate, 128kbps or 192kbps.

3. mux things back together. this can be done in vdub, load "trimmed" movie, go to streams>stream list then click "disable" cuz u dont want this audio, you wanna ADD the newly encoded mp3/ac3 file. select direct stream copy from the video menu or when you go to save as... select direct stream copy in the Video mode drop down menu.

go to job control, hit start and wah-lah the movie should fit on 700mb cd with hardly any re-encoding except for the audio. usually takes me around 20mins for the whole process. then another 4 mins to burn to CD.

good luck
d

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 15th, '09, 15:20

Use VirtualDub and compress the movie with a different quality setting.

The better choice would be to buy some blank DVD discs and burn your video to DVD.

paintingheart

Post by paintingheart » Jan 15th, '09, 22:48

Thanks. I really appreciate everything.
I'll definitely give the virtualdubmod and avidemux a try and see how it goes.

Kakijun

Post by Kakijun » Jan 15th, '09, 23:17

External hard drive/flash drive + Xbox 360 = Jdramas on your TV :-)

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 15th, '09, 23:19

paintingheart wrote:Thanks. I really appreciate everything.
I'll definitely give the virtualdubmod and avidemux a try and see how it goes.
Good luck.

You might want to check out videohelp.com: there's lots of useful guides and software available to help get the job done... And there's a forum you can search through as well. :thumright: