Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

Vista - Black Screen - Movable Cursor - Upon Boot~

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Vista - Black Screen - Movable Cursor - Upon Boot~

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 23rd, '09, 17:53

For some reason, yesterday when I turned on my Toshiba laptop, I wasn't able to get to the login screen.

After Windows boots up, I'm left with a black screen and a movable white cursor...other than that....I can't see the login prompt for my password.

I tried rebooting with safe mode and using "last known configuration", pressing ALT+CRTL+DEL does nothing - I'm stumped.

After countless google searches, the only answer I got was that this is a common Vista problem...aka the "black screen of death". Only answer would be a clean reinstall.

Now the problem I have with that option is that my laptop did not come with any Windows Vista discs. I bought this notebook from NewEgg last December and has been functioning for less than half a year.

(running on Windows Vista Home Premium)

specifications are here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834114611

(upgraded 2GB of ram to 4GB DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800)

Does anyone have any suggestions I can do to resolve this?

snorky2k

Post by snorky2k » Apr 23rd, '09, 18:01

have you tried ctl-alt-delete then pull up task manager and run explorer.exe?

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 23rd, '09, 18:18

snorky2k wrote:have you tried ctl-alt-delete then pull up task manager and run explorer.exe?
I have. Task manager doesn't come up. :-(

kevkaho

Post by kevkaho » Apr 23rd, '09, 18:26

ok when u are running safe mode can u go back to ur previous restore point?? (if u have created one..)
then is NewEgg a company or an internet site? do u have a warranty timeframe u can fall back on?
if u need a manual i have a couple of Vista manuals tat i have in PDF format... i can upload onto my MF folder if u wan to download them from me... hope it helps...

cool_drama
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by cool_drama » Apr 23rd, '09, 18:39

Usually lower end laptops don't come with Windows disc..they come with a restore disc to restore your laptop back to factory settings..or there is a restore partition on your laptop that you can restore from by pressing a said button..From the newegg reviews, people said there's a 7GB partition on your laptop where you can restore all the settings back to factory conditions. When you turn on your laptop, press a button(look in your manual for what button) to enter setup.

If you want to avoid Vista giving you more problems in the future(no doubt it will), you can dl a copy of Windows 7 Beta or RC. With that installed, you don't need to look for any drivers..it's "Install and play."

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 24th, '09, 02:08

thank you everyone for your suggestions! I was able to fix everything by downloading a recovery disk iso from neosmart. and putting together solutions from google, I was able to resolve the "black screen of death".

If anyone ever has this problem (apparently, this has happen to a lot of Vista users), you can try these steps.

1) download neosmart's recovery disk: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-v ... -download/
2) burn image file
3) pop in cd in faulty laptop/pc
4) press F12 (or whichever function) to boot from CD/DVD
5) after cd loads and boots, select language and press "next"
6) do a system restore and click on the last working restore point
7) windows will reboot
8) after typing in password and logging in, if black screen still persists (like mine did), press "alt+ctrl+del" and run task manager - by this point, task manager should appear. (I wasn't able to get anything, not even the task manager with "alt+ctrl+del" until after I restored)
9) go to the processes tab and end "explorer"
10) go to file menu and run new task, type in "explorer.exe"
11) reboot again and everything should be fine

*whew*

@cool_drama: I am using Windows 7 beta on one of my other laptops (though not as my primary os) and I do agree that it's better than vista. :)

However, even with the serial key, windows 7 Beta will end by August 1st, unless there will be a new build by then.