How to use these Japanese subtitles?

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
The_Deuce

How to use these Japanese subtitles?

Post by The_Deuce » Jun 6th, '09, 15:37

Hey, guys,

I've been looking for Japanese subs for the movie Idiocracy (I wanted to watch it with my wife and in-laws, who are Japanese), and I found what are *supposed* to be Japanese subs for the movie here: http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitl ... iocracy-ja

Unfortunately, when I actually download the file, the filename looks like gibberish. The original file name listed on the page is Idiocracy[2006]DvDrip.AC3[Eng]-aXXo用日本語字幕.srt. However, when I download it, the file name is Idiocracy[2006]DvDrip.AC3[Eng]-aXXotö¿µùѵ£¼F¬Ps¡ùs¦ò.srt

All the subs in the file become gibberish too. My PC is able to display Japanese characters, so I don't believe that's the problem. Any idea what's wrong here, and how I could fix this?

Thanks!

Hecko X

Post by Hecko X » Jun 7th, '09, 15:53

1: Right-click the file and open it in Notebook
2: Right-click the file and open it in Microsoft Word. Microsoft Word should prompt you about what coding to use to read the document, select "Japanese (Shift-JIS)" or whatever works on your computer.
3: Highlight everything in the Microsoft Word document and copy it.
4: Highlight everything in the Notebook document and paste.
5: Use "Save as..." to save your Notebook document. Be sure to choose file-type "all files" (not text-file!!) and that you save in Unicode(!!!), not ANSI. If you can manually load subtitles in the player you use, then you can name the file whatever that's easy to remember. If you can't, then be sure to name the sub file the same as the video file.

You should now be good to go. I've added a .zip file of images to help you understand in case you found the text guide confusing. Note, however, that my version of... well, everything, is in Danish, so using the text-guide in conjuction with the image guide might be the best solution. Also, sorry about the poor quality of the images and that I had to split it up into two zip folders, this was due to the max limit size of attachments on the forum.
Attachments
Guide 1 of 2.zip
Zipped image guide 1 of 2
(218.46 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
Guide 2 of 2.zip
Zipped image guide 2 of 2
(149.66 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

The_Deuce

Post by The_Deuce » Jun 8th, '09, 02:00

Hey, works like a charm. Thanks, Hecko!

lespotts
Marshall Islands

Re: How to use these Japanese subtitles?

Post by lespotts » Jan 6th, '19, 09:50

Long time since this was posted but I referred to it AGAIN today, genius post Hecko X.