How do I rip a DVD and put my own subs (for Densha Otoko)

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
wes88

How do I rip a DVD and put my own subs (for Densha Otoko)

Post by wes88 » Jul 7th, '09, 18:51

Hi, I have this series on DVD but the English subtitles are very mediocre. It makes me wonder why it's so difficult for the production company to hire a decent translator.

I noticed that this forum has subtitle files for this series in SRT format. I was thinking about ripping the DVD to AVI files and then adding the SRT subtitle file to the AVI file. Is this possible? What would be the best course of action?

The DVD has soft subtitles (can be turned on or off) so I assume that I can turn off the subtitles when ripping to AVI (so that it is a pure video file). Can I then add the better subtitles that the forum members have contributed?

Cheers.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Jul 7th, '09, 19:16

Ripping the vid from the dvd is how many of us get them in the first place. I use DVD Decrypter, though there's a few others that will do most of it automatically.

groink

Post by groink » Jul 7th, '09, 22:56

The DVD you bought may be a Chinese bootleg. I don't think Fuji TV ever released the TV series with English subtitles (the movie version with Yamada has subs.)

--- groink

wes88

Post by wes88 » Jul 8th, '09, 08:12

It's an original DVD from Malaysia, not a fake. Original doesn't guarantee good english subs. Even a Korean Drama series that I bought from HMV in Singapore had poor subs (bad grammar, typos, and sentences that just didn't make sense).

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely have a go at ripping the DVD.

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Jul 8th, '09, 09:12

That's a bootleg. One sure indication is the poor subs that you mentioned. And the price you paid. If you paid a fairly low price it's a bootleg. The official Region 2 DVD will cost you big time. Anywhere from 15000 Yen to 25000 Yen ( $150 to $250 USD. )

And just because it's got a fancy box and looks official in Malaysia or another other country for that matter doesn't mean it's not a bootleg. Only a Region 2 DVD released in Japan would be considered an official DVD. And 99.9 of those do not have subs. Only Region 2 MOVIES that you might find on Yesasia for example would be considered official releases and include subs. Not dramas.

wes88

Post by wes88 » Jul 8th, '09, 09:49

Thanks for clearing that up. The price I paid was only about $18 USD so it is most likely a bootleg copy.

So even the dramas sold on Yes Asia are bootleg copies and not official releases?

wes88

Post by wes88 » Jul 8th, '09, 14:38

When ripping a DVD to an avi file, what size does the avi file have to be to ensure that there is no difference in quality?

The DVD disc is a single layer - approx 4.25GB and there are 4 episodes on the disc.

Cheers.