Is it possible to save magnet links as with torrents?

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Sweden

Is it possible to save magnet links as with torrents?

Post by Keiko1981 » Feb 26th, '10, 18:50

I'm currently using BitTorrent as client. When clicking a magnet link I'm asked with which application I'd like to open it. Being suggested Bittorent. (in FireFox)
Is it possible to save magnet links the same way as you can do with torrent files.
Or would it be more like "Copy link location.."?

saigo_x

Re: Is it possible to save magnet links as with torrents?

Post by saigo_x » Feb 26th, '10, 18:57

Keiko1981 wrote:I'm currently using BitTorrent as client. When clicking a magnet link I'm asked with which application I'd like to open it. Being suggested Bittorent. (in FireFox)
Is it possible to save magnet links the same way as you can do with torrent files.
Or would it be more like "Copy link location.."?
A magnet link is just a URI, so it would be like saving a URL link. The torrent file is saved, so you can look in the folder where the client saves the torrent file and copy it from there. For the mainline client see here.

Dudie

Post by Dudie » Mar 13th, '10, 23:57

call me stupid but I was wondering what the magnet function is for and what does it do? I never used it before

RB

Post by RB » Mar 14th, '10, 00:28

The magnet link contains the hashing (unique per torrent file) of a torrent. It doesn't contain information about the files inside the torrent, the checksum, size, etc. It is just a big mess of letters and numbers. The idea is that your client, upon receiving the hashing, will query either a DHT (distributed hash table, think of it as a huge index of hash strings) or other clients it is currently connected to, and find the information of the torrent without you ever downloading a torrent file.

A very simple (although not exact) example would be: you want to buy a book, but only have the ISBN of the book (this is a unique number per book). So, you ask all your friends if any of them know which book has that ISBN, and each of your friends ask all his friends the same question until someone says he does know the title, publisher, release date and other info for the book. The information then goes back to you, and now you are able to get the book. You can also fetch a ISBN guide and check if the ISBN you have appears there, if so you get the name and other information of the book.

Note that the magnet link doesn't contain information other than the hash, so saving it won't create a valid torrent file. Unless your client can interpret it (rtorrent is able to with a hack) it won't work.

kaessey

Post by kaessey » Apr 26th, '11, 13:44

From what I just read, magnets aren't harmful, but how come ever since I accidentally clicked one, my client starts hanging up? I've reinstalled it already, still the same problem. Please help?

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Apr 27th, '11, 07:07

kaessey wrote:From what I just read, magnets aren't harmful, but how come ever since I accidentally clicked one, my client starts hanging up? I've reinstalled it already, still the same problem. Please help?
Please tell us which bittorrent client you are using that is hanging up when it gets a magnet link.