On Air (SBS, 2008)

Post by arabian » Mar 15th, '08, 13:20

Details:

Title: 온에어 / On Air
Genre: Romance
Episodes: 20
Broadcast network: SBS
Broadcast period: 2008-Mar-05 to 2008-May
Air time: Wednesdays & Thursdays 21:55 (9:55 Korean time)
See inserts: On Air OST

Synopsis:

This new drama is about the behind the scenes of TV drama production. It also portrays how the whole production team and performers complete a project in a tight schedule and as well as how actors, actresses, and entertainment agencies handle rumors surrounding them. Jang Ki Joon is a manager who is in charge of the activities of many famous actors and actresses. One of them is Oh Seung Ah who is a rising actress. Lee Kyung Min is a drama PD, Seo Young Eun is a script writer with a young child.

Cast:

Lee Bum Soo as Jang Ki Joon
Kim Ha Neul as Oh Seung Ah
Song Yoon Ah as Seo Young Eun
Park Yong Ha as Lee Kyung Min

credit to Wiki..

snowangel414

Post by snowangel414 » Mar 15th, '08, 18:21

I just finished watching ep 1 and how come I don't fall for this drama? I see too many bickering at the start of the eps and it's not really a good start for me. I wonder what other ppl have to say about this drama so far. I'm going to give it another ep and see. If it's not going anywhere good, I'll stop watching.

Beeni

Post by Beeni » Mar 15th, '08, 19:29

^ the bickering is the best part! ^
lol. i LOVED the first episode.
it was very intense. and the conversations are so fast paced and witty,
that i enjoy it a lot.
no wonder... it's the same writier as lovers in paris. XD

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Mar 15th, '08, 19:53

Thank you for making this thread. I wanted to earlier but I'm too lazy.

It looks like On Air is getting the highest ratings in the Wed-Thurs slot? (Competing against Hong Gil Dong and Who Are You? I think).
This story seems reallly interesting and the cast looks great. I'm also really excited to see the cameo appearances by really famous stars.

beertax

Post by beertax » Mar 16th, '08, 00:49

after watching up to ep 4, I have to say that this is a very intelligent and well thought-out drama. The writers have the grace to recognize/ admit the many flaws of the typical kdrama and also the acumen to see what makes good storywriting (in ep 4, when the director discusses what makes a good drama with the writer)

This is the one drama that I am looking forward to at the present.

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 17th, '08, 04:48

I was thinking that this show's ratings would be on par with Surgeon Bong Dal Hee, and so ratings for On Air are running a little low for my expectations. Neither of the other competing shows are running 20+ ratings, so there's a lot of ratings space to take.

This is the first major SBS drama of the year, and the hype on this one has been running well through middle of last year, due to the level of talent associated with it. Bum Soo and Ha Neul are A-list level comic talent; Yoon Ah and Yong Ha are popular with SBS's ajuhhma audience. Plus, you have the writers of the Lovers trilogy (who obviously know their way around a melodrama), and you have cameo appearances from the Lovers trilogy.

There is melodrama; then, there is SBS melo-drama (A+ cast, A++ production, D+ writing.) Of all the stations, they are the most ripe for a parody. :)

Just checked Dramabeans, and the reception looks pretty negative.

beertax

Post by beertax » Mar 28th, '08, 02:51

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this show. It is intelligent, well-written, well-dialogued, and well-casted with a lot of mature, behind-the-scene look at how a kdrama is produced. Also, the 7th episode recently passed the 20% rating mark which makes it the top show for the wed-thursday prime time slots.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Mar 28th, '08, 13:23

beertax wrote:I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this show.
Must be from all the negativity over at dramabeans :)

belleza

Post by belleza » Mar 29th, '08, 00:14

SBS shows overall aren't as popular as MBC and KBS with the D-addicts/Soompi set. SBS programming caters more to ajuhmmas, and they tend to run more "Cinderella meets chaebol" soaps and melodramas than the other two stations, emphasizing production and stars over telling new kinds of stories. In some respects, SBS programming, which is often rightfully criticized for their very, very formulaic approach to romantic geometry and implausibly storylines, are also much less maudlin and occasionally more gritty, because they target an older audience. And since the SBS formula is so well understood, there's a lot of room for subversion. I'm watching What Happened to Bali right now, and superficially, it fits the SBS chaebol drama template to a tee. But the actual content is nasty, corrosive stuff; this was the same writer of Thousand Years of Love (another SBS drama), which though rather terrible was also exceptional in its meanspirited and misogynistic tone.

That said, there's pretty healthy discussion about On Air over at Soompi. Lee Bum Soo started to draw a Soompi following after Surgeon Bong Dal Hee, but the Lee Bum Soo/Kim Ha Neul match up is very, very appealing, especially if you watch a lot of Korean movie/romantic comedies. I like Park Yong Ha and Song Yung Ah (who BTW was in Hotelier) a lot, so it's almost a perfect cast for me.
Must be from all the negativity over at dramabeans
Yeeaaaahhhhh . . . . I can see where she is coming from with it (if you've seen any of the Lovers trilogy or Hello Miss, it's the same PD team.) My family was split on Lovers in Paris, but I like how the PD writes individual "chemistry" scenes between the actors; there's a lot of "space" for ad-libbing and you can tell they tailor the voice of each character according to the actors. I'm watching Lovers in Prague, and the president's daughter is written, you can very much sense that it's "Jeon Do Yeon playing the president's daughter", just as it's "Kim Ji Eun playing Cinderella", or "Park Shin Yang as chaebol." Star quality is heavily, heavily emphasized over storytelling, and this is not necessarily a bad thing. In that regard, the main appeal On Air of me is as a winky meta-drama, even though X himself has said the show utterly fails at that level.

One thing I noticed about Hong Gil Dong is that the Hong sisters are almost the opposite of that. There's a certain "unedited" quality to their scenes, kind of a scattershot rant-style that becomes the voices of each character. I really enjoyed it, so I'm going to start My Girl (finally) soon.

angel_no.520

Post by angel_no.520 » Apr 6th, '08, 12:11

wow, there's so many celebrities in this drama!
looking forward to see more celebrities appear in the drama.

it seems to be a dived opinion on the pairing of the couples.
some likes actress-manager and director-writer, while others likes actress-director and manager-writer.
i like the first pairing best, but still...
i have a feeling that we'll never know how this drama will end.

p.s
does anyone know who the guy who plays Oh Seung Ah's friend is?
he looks so cute. :wub: "We can't all be like Daniel Henney"

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Apr 12th, '08, 20:41

Not a bad first episode; very eventful and jumped right into the drama without taking too much time to introduce the characters and set up the story. I really hope the rest of the show isn't like the first episode though. So far, I don't like any of the characters; not even the minor ones. Well, except for maybe Song Yoon Ah's. Also, there's so much arguing and hair-pulling to the point where it's kind of annoying. I still plan to watch the rest of it because my friends who have been keeping up with each episode every week keep telling me how good it is. I assume it's going to get better.
Last edited by fizzlex3mh on Apr 13th, '08, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.

Babyitshind

Post by Babyitshind » Apr 12th, '08, 22:38

Wow, I happen to think this drama is something different. Please someone tell me if they have seen a drama like this one? Its not the typical drama you see everyday, they certainly brought something new. Also, This drama is very well written and I'm really excited for the future episodes.

I think its great so you should give it a chance and watch it! :)
angel_no.520 wrote: does anyone know who the guy who plays Oh Seung Ah's friend is?
It's Ricky Lee Neely, he's a American-Korean actor
http://krfilm.net/f/t-16663-1-1-america ... -in-on-air

yc16lln6

Post by yc16lln6 » Apr 16th, '08, 05:22

hi, I'm also watching the drama, On Air.

Have done some research that the production team is going to add 3 more episodes on top on the 20-episodes as planned... these 3 episodes will talk more about the love triangle amongst - Director-Actress-Manager!!!! where is my favourite the Writer then?

This is NOT what i want to see! NO!!! Director-Writer (they're both simple and soft-hearted) & actress-manager match is perfect, PLEASE do not come out with something like that to jeopardize the whole feeling of the drama.

Just wonder if there's anyway audience can voice out to the production about this. Too bad i don't understand Korean, can't do anything looking at all those strange words in their SBS website.

nysophia

Post by nysophia » Apr 21st, '08, 02:25

yc16lln6 wrote:hi, I'm also watching the drama, On Air.

Have done some research that the production team is going to add 3 more episodes on top on the 20-episodes as planned... these 3 episodes will talk more about the love triangle amongst - Director-Actress-Manager!!!! where is my favourite the Writer then?

This is NOT what i want to see! NO!!! Director-Writer (they're both simple and soft-hearted) & actress-manager match is perfect, PLEASE do not come out with something like that to jeopardize the whole feeling of the drama.

Just wonder if there's anyway audience can voice out to the production about this. Too bad i don't understand Korean, can't do anything looking at all those strange words in their SBS website.
i totally agree!
i think the director-writer and actress-manager match is perfect!
I really hope it goes like that, or else it would just suck...
i love kim ha neul!!!

assirac

Post by assirac » May 9th, '08, 08:56

nysophia wrote:
yc16lln6 wrote:hi, I'm also watching the drama, On Air.

i totally agree!
i think the director-writer and actress-manager match is perfect!
I really hope it goes like that, or else it would just suck...
i love kim ha neul!!!
You also TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!! the writer is totally lovable lor. if the writer doesn't end up with the director ... I'll be totally irritated ... :(
Been a long long time since I came across a serial that can glue me to the screen ... I really hope it doesn't screw up in the end ...

:P

Pinch

Post by Pinch » Jan 29th, '09, 08:25

On Air is one of the very few k-dramas that has managed to entice me. Gorgeous stars, good acting and chemistry, interesting plot and lines, original premise (at least compared to all the k-dramas I ever watch).

Guess it does not do well with k-dramas fans because it just lacks the charm of usual k-dramas? Anyway I like it a lot. That is all that matters. :roll

akinoame27

Post by akinoame27 » Apr 19th, '09, 13:29

OMG, I totally don´t get it!!! I mean, I found out about this series and started to watch it by accident! And it is soooo GREAT drama!! I´ve seen about 20 - 30 k-dramas, but this is in my top 5 for sure... How come, almost nobody knows about it?? I´m so angry!!! But maybe that is it - I didn´t expect anything at all - perhaps that´s the reason i LOVED it that much... But still - it has a lot of great actors, great chemistry (as someone said here before me), great plot, great dialogues
great ending
and NO deaf places (I don´t know how to say it in English - I mean, the story is superb in every episode - the thing about dramas I hate the most is, when during about 8 - 10 episode the story is starting to slow down and is getting boring).

ON AIR is just... I don´t know... so different from others k-dramas but still has the "feeling" of k-drama... Well, it´s just marvellous...

And I would really like to know how many GREAT dramas like this one I haven´t seen only because it is not so popular and well-known.... :cry:

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 1st, '11, 05:48

I'm only 4 episodes in but I like it so far the only thing is it's unbalanced both the women are immature with the writer being an immature moron and the actress an immature **** and both the men are mature

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 3rd, '11, 07:25

I've changed my mind I love it I still wonder if the women will grow up though