Hong Gil Dong (KBS2, 2008)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
macross

Post by macross » Mar 27th, '08, 10:25

Bah don't spoil it! Unexpected ending though huh...maybe everyone dies.

jinloh

Post by jinloh » Mar 27th, '08, 11:44

It doesn't really fit in with the whole drama but then you'll have to watch it to see for yourself. I shall not spoil it for everyone but it just leaves me so angry....grrr....

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Mar 27th, '08, 14:11

Haven't watched the last episode, but I read javabeans recaps... and I like the ending.. but yeah, in one way it feels like it doesn't fit in with the drama but on the other way: the subject is even today a myth/ a story that's still been told...

Gonna wait with the last episodes untill With S2 finished the subs for it and then I'm gonna make a HGD-night home alone and with some tissues *for sure* :sweat:

macross

Post by macross » Mar 27th, '08, 20:53

yeah waiting on subs still hehe. Been staying away from dramabeans cause too tempting to read spoilers. Long as hgd or yi nok doesn't die then its okay.

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Mar 27th, '08, 21:19

*won't spoil the end & hope the others won't do that, too ^-^ *
hehe, thought i could stand away from dramabeans as well *and thought it already many times before with Coffee Prince---* but as soon I saw a pic and read her first few sentences I was caught. Everytime. She surely can write ^-^
But when I was watching an episode later it doesn't felt spoiled for me..

.....how I wish HGD would last longer, but it's already finished :cry:

abel nightroad

Post by abel nightroad » Mar 29th, '08, 10:52

i found the spoilers but didnt want to read it... i didnt want to get spoiled... but i read some reviews from the spoilers... some were not satisfied with it but i dont know, we saw in ep1 what will happen to them later on... i'll just wait for ep24 to come out...

since this is a good series i think 24 eps is too short... huhuhu

sarasa36

Post by sarasa36 » Mar 29th, '08, 11:16

so beautiful and sad the ending. I loved it!!!
It's the eend of HGD :sorry: :-( :cry:

busyizzy

Post by busyizzy » Mar 29th, '08, 15:07

His acting, however, can not compete with Kang Ji Hwan's.
I don't think that's a fair comparison. Kang Ji Hwan is given, as Gil Dong, so much more to work with, while the character Chang Hwi is supposed to be cold, stiff and whatnot. I think that the guy does a pretty good job with what he can - he shows just enough emotion when he has to, but not enough to betray his character. Also, at times when his character really doesn't care - which is a large majority of the time - he does just that.

On Sung Yuri, she's cute, and she does an okay job at her role. I feel like sometimes, she overacts, but then I think that it might be because that's the character of the person. I honestly think Yi Nok's character is quite obnoxious at times, but she definitely has her cute moments. The thing that grated me most about Sung Yuri was mostly at the beginning of the series, especially when she's talking to the Prince in her very-fake-honorific voice. It was SOOOOO annoying, and everytime she spoke with that tone, I wanted to strangle her.

Just a note, I adoreeeeee Kang Ji Hwan, and I always have. I've seen all the dramas he's been in, and he's been so great in every single one~. I'm so glad he is amazing in Hong Gil Dong. :D He is half the reason I started watching it.
.i wonder if theyr goin to surprise us with the ending and people will end up with someone else..lol.why does gil dong have to get everything??
Obviously not. It's K-drama. I love K-drama, but the formula is always the same, and they will never change it. From the first 2 episodes, I could tell the exact love triangles and squares that will develop. It is very obvious, and while I think the prince deserves some happiness too, alas, it's not meant to be. Since when has there been a series where the main girl and main guy end up with different people (except if they're dead).
Last there is a possibility that HGD and Yi Nok will not or can not end up together becaue HGD's Father killed Yi Nok's parents. We will see!
Puh-leaze. It's clearly a plot twist to throw more hurdles in the way of their love, but since when has that ever stopped K-Drama and "true love."

It is clear from the VERY first episode that Gil Don and Yi Nok are together. The very first scene has Yi Nok working with Gil Dong's bandits, and the prince is nowhere to be seen. This clearly implies that she is with Gil Dong.

I am just kindof confused as to how people will think it will end otherwise ..... maybe I've just seen too many K-dramas and have the formulas down too well. Jaded. Alas.

Anywayyyyy, about the series itself, I think it started off very slow, the first 10 episodes were not that great, although there were some cute moments. I think the show really picks up after the time jump. It's been really good for the latter half. I was thinking about not watching it after a few episodes in the beginning because of how predictable it was becoming, but I'm glad I stuck with it. The characters are pretty touching, the acting is good, and the story, albeit formulaic, is well written. There are also some really adorable moments. One of my favorite parts is when Gil Dong talks about "taking some medicine already" and when Yi Nok insists he share it with the prince too, Gil Dong gets all OMG NO POSSESSIVE. Hehe. How cuteeee.

I'm on episode 20 .... alas, I can't find the last episode up for download yet, so I think I'll stop here until I find it, so I'm not at a cliffhanger moment where I can't do anything about it.

Philmein

Post by Philmein » Mar 29th, '08, 18:32

Is someone going to upload episode 24 soon?

didiellza

Post by didiellza » Mar 29th, '08, 22:13

[quote="busyizzy"] One of my favorite parts is when Gil Dong talks about "taking some medicine already" and when Yi Nok insists he share it with the prince too, Gil Dong gets all OMG NO POSSESSIVE. Hehe. How cuteeee.[/quote]

Yeaah it is my favourite scene too.... and don't forget after that the "respect scene", where all people getting on Gil Dong's nerves about Yi-nok's respect for him, and he later destroyed the respect of her! haha

I am soooo sad :cry: only one episode before it comes to it's end!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

macross

Post by macross » Mar 31st, '08, 01:20

yeah where is ep 24;;

Other good scenes when gil dong was saying how he heard yi nok calling out the secret password, and the guy goes oh, what password? and he goes none of your business! (when she was shouting out i love you to get gil dong's attention).

Mal Nyeo is hot too. How she end up with that fugly long hair guy??? He wanted to start a farm and sow seeds with her (bang bang) every night!.

prince should have just executed those guys for trying to use the fake sword against him, for blasphemy against the throne.

Maybe yi nok will end up killing the prince in the end!

4everU

Post by 4everU » Mar 31st, '08, 04:36

didiellza wrote:
macross wrote:You guys/girls who love the prince will hate him now I'm sure though.
Nooooo! we will not hate him, but we will be disappointed with him. ...aaand we will hate the hong sisters for turning him into a bad/insane guy. :x Why should we hate him when we knwo his circumstances.
First living the whole life for a reveng that was a lie. Knowing his own mother was an evil person. Losing the throne and now he could even lose his LOve "Yi Nok". His is losing everything in his life soooo, everyone in his shoes would turn same way! I just feel soo sorry for him!
MAN! I finished episode 23 and don't like how the prince is turing bad, however i agree i will never hate him because we do know all the stuff he has gone through, but sadly YES i am disappointed in him, i really didn't think they would make him end up like that...he's too cute for him be turned that way...poor guy! :-(

leenzy

Post by leenzy » Mar 31st, '08, 13:01

i just finished 22 episode..huh, a bit boring :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: !! i am so disappointed with the miss eun hye --> councilor daughter..she's planning to executed HGD :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: !!... hopefully, she can rethink again..eheh..but i am sad bcoz yi nok will go through the dark world with the prince n HGD was alone...uuuuwaaaaaaaaaaa... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Mar 31st, '08, 13:14

..... :shhh: some:
tags would be nice.... :sweat:

busyizzy

Post by busyizzy » Mar 31st, '08, 22:05

Regarding the last few episodes:
I think it was a fairly poignant, and yet, unexpected ending. Well, unexpected in the sense of the series, although I could see it going in a not-very-carefree-comedic-ending that I was expecting after the first half of the series from the last few episodes of the series.

I don't hate Chang Hwe, and I actually think it was smart of the writers to do what they did. They turned it around full circle, and Chang Hwe has become "the bad guy." It shows you that even if the person inside is good, circumstances can turn them bad. The writers showed this briefly with the previous king, but we never got attached to the king and always thought of him as the "bad guy," so even when we're shown he only had good intent when he turned king, we don't feel much sympathy because we can't understand why he turned so bad if he really wanted to do good. Chang Hwe, on the other hand, the audience can emphasize with. We've seen him grow up and become the king he is - we know he is a good person at heart, although he is capable of doing not-so-good things to accomplish his goals, when it comes down between choosing between the good and bad, he usually chooses to do the right thing. He was in a very difficult situation here - lose Gil Dong who is his companion and even friend who has helped him establish his throne or lose his cabinet who will help him keep his throne. Choosing either side could make him lose the throne he has worked so hard to obtain. In the end, he made the choice to keep his throne, and while it might not have been the best or ideal choice, it was probably the safest choice. He believed he would be a good king, and do good as a king, and what good could he accomplish if he lost the throne? If he had chosen to support Gil Dong, he would be overthrown. You mustn't forget, Chang Hwe has worked his whole life towards getting that throne. In the end, he chose, and I think he chose what most people in his shoes would have done. How many people could really say they'd choose otherwise? It's called human nature, and the Chang Hwe in the ending reflected that perfectly.

I can't even say I'm disappointed in him. I believe he tried to his fullest extent to prevent it from getting to the point it did - even while much of the high ranking officials grumbled loudly, he would persistently support Gil Dong, and tried his hardest to persuade Gil Dong to stop. He also did not go crazy with revenge despite what his brother tried, and I think that takes a lot in a guy: to know everything you've worked for is a lie, that your mother is a murderer, and that for you to get to that place, so many people died and got hurt. In fact, it's because of all these circumstances that he had to keep his throne no matter what - to prove to everyone else he deserves it, and that he would not lose it.

I just thought it was unfair for people to immediately leap conclusions to 'omg i hate him now!!' or whatever....

abel nightroad

Post by abel nightroad » Apr 5th, '08, 07:50

damn!! ep24 is so sad and dramatic!! huhuhu but still very nice...

i feel so sad for gil dong, yi nok, su geun, mal nyeo, yeon ssi, gomi and even eun hye... she really loves gil dong even though she cant have him...

i really like this series because it has everything... comedy, romance, action, drama, great storyline, etc.
episode 24 really is sad... the 1st few minutes of episode 1 misled me to believe that the series will have a happy ending... at least that was i was hoping for... after all the funny and happy times that gil dong, yi nok and hwal bin dang had in the rest of the series, in the end they could not escape their ill fate... they still fought even though they knew that the war that they are fighting is a loosing battle...

the conversation between gil dong and eun hye was very sad for me, in the end eun hye didnt want gil dong to die and was still willing to do anything for him not to die, even if he still does not accept her...

also the conversation between yi nok and chang hwi... i thought after their talk chang hwi will change his mind about attacking hwal bin dang, but it didnt... even though he knew yi nok would be there, he wouldnt change his mind...

the responsibility gil dong handed to gomi was very sad... again, he is allowed to live to continue what they are fighting for while the rest of his comrades are left to die...

whats good about in this episode is that they still find ways to be happy even though their situations are not good for them... quite similar to capital scandal... the outcome is the difference

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Apr 5th, '08, 15:08

I didn't like the ending %100, but still it's better than average. Does anybody know the title and artist of the song that plays during the final scene? I think it's a foreign song.

I mean
The song that can be heard when the flaming arrows are falling on Hwal Bin Dang's hideout. They are holding hands, the king is crying etc.
Last edited by Hitokiri_Johndoesai on Apr 5th, '08, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

incube

Post by incube » Apr 5th, '08, 18:55

I'm really dissapointed with the ending ... i feel like being cheated somehow -.- The first few episodes were fun, then kinda got draggy till Yi Nok finds out who she is and then it starts falling again until this last episoe. Was the last scene really necesary ? where HGD is standing on the rooftop of a building with the power ranger suit..... geez >.<

They should have sticked with the usual kdrama ending.. maybe just letting their hideout being destroyed and continue their fight with the corrupt side of the society, retaking the first scene of the episode one.

Actually the only thing i really enjoyed in this drama were the moments HGD and Yi Nok were together.... other than that everything was regular -.- The fighting scenes, specially the ones between Hwan Bin Dan and the police, are the worst i ever seen.

I would give a 3/5 to this drama just because of Yi Nok's :wub: and Gil Dongs perfomance =D

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Apr 5th, '08, 21:18

Hitokiri_Johndoesai wrote:I didn't like the ending %100, but still it's better than average. Does anybody know the title and artist of the song that plays during the final scene? I think it's a foreign song.

I mean
The song that can be heard when the flaming arrows are falling on Hwal Bin Dang's hideout. They are holding hands, the king is crying etc.
That song is from a norwegian band and it's called: “Lær Meg Å Kjenne” by Sissel Kyrkjebø.

You can find it @ dramabeans.com. She also has the english translation for the lyrics:

English translation:
Teach me to know your ways
and to walk them trustingly step by step
I know that what I own,
are borrowed goods, and everything is yours.
But if your strong hand guides me,
I will never see the wrong goal,
and for every hope that dies down here,
I will receive a greater hope in heaven.
.. I think it's very fitting and I
even cried hearing this song by reading her recap-----

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Apr 5th, '08, 21:47

@ littledraci

"Vielen Dank" for the song name and artist. The song is really beautiful and matches the climax of the drama.

mitch16

Post by mitch16 » Apr 5th, '08, 21:58

da ending was dissappointing!
didnt expect it wud end like that!

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Apr 5th, '08, 22:16

^--^ "Bitte schön" ^--^

Yes, exactly my thoughts while listening to it...still wasn't able to see the ending T-T...but tomorrow !! YAY!!!

And yes, mitch16: it was an unexpected ending.... but nevertheless I like it ^-^

Peggy

Title Mix up

Post by Peggy » Apr 5th, '08, 22:37

I am trying to search for a drama called SHIN DON But I keep getting the episodes with the title Hong Gil Dong.
What to do about this? Mystery to me and I have tried several times.

Peggy

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Apr 5th, '08, 22:46

Hi Peggy, there seems to be no upload til now from "Shin Don"... so you'll only find uploads with "Shin" in it except "Shin Don".

Hong Gil Dong appears because it has "Shin" in the title, f.e.: Hong.Gil.Dong.Special.KOR.080327.SDTV.X264-SHiNHWA

abel nightroad

Post by abel nightroad » Apr 6th, '08, 01:48

incube wrote:I'm really dissapointed with the ending ... i feel like being cheated somehow -.- The first few episodes were fun, then kinda got draggy till Yi Nok finds out who she is and then it starts falling again until this last episoe. Was the last scene really necesary ? where HGD is standing on the rooftop of a building with the power ranger suit..... geez >.<

They should have sticked with the usual kdrama ending.. maybe just letting their hideout being destroyed and continue their fight with the corrupt side of the society, retaking the first scene of the episode one.
i agree with these... if this was the ending then maybe a lot of viewers would be happy with the ending... this is the ending that i was hoping for...

but regardless of its ending... i still very much enjoyed the series... i like the storyline, comedy, action, gil dong and yi nok, and just about everything... i would still give it 5/5...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Apr 6th, '08, 02:07

littledraci,

Ah!! Many thanks. Understood.

Peg

eilla

Post by eilla » Apr 6th, '08, 13:36

At the beginning I really loved that drama. But ending made me so angry and disappointed! Buu! :cry:
I just want to belive that they survive (somehow) and the begnining of the first episode is true!
Gosh, I hate when dramas or movies end not in the way I wanted! It's so frustrating! :(
And moreover they should make another season of this drama to show all of us that Hong Gil Dong and his gang is alive and still fighting! :P

rann

Post by rann » Apr 6th, '08, 16:37

Like many I'm not quite happy with the ending even though I quite understand what the hong sisters wanted to tell it's still quite too much when the drama itself isn't that dramatic so I was disappointed =_=....

Grc733

Post by Grc733 » Apr 6th, '08, 16:42

So this maybe a dumb question to ask but would you guys recommend this kdrama because I've been hearing about it and I thought about starting to watch it so I wanted to get people's opinion :D

macross

Post by macross » Apr 6th, '08, 22:37

What a lame ending!
Stupid prince, all his fault. I knew he was bad.

abel nightroad

Post by abel nightroad » Apr 7th, '08, 02:10

i remember in episodes 18 when gil dong is talking to chang hwi... he said to chang hwi that even if he fights the nobles, chang hwi must understand and have faith in him so that they can work together until the end... but i think in the end chang hwi lost faith in gil dong because of the situations concerning the fake sa yin sword... very disappointed with the prince... he saks hehe

Silentwolfdog

Post by Silentwolfdog » Apr 7th, '08, 03:45

Spoiler alert! Skip this if you don't want to know the ending!

^But still don't you think he should have told the prince before he became the king? HGD knew this would happen so he kept it a secret and so prince found out the truth at his most vulnerable moment. Basically both of them didn't trust each other at the end. Not just prince's mistake, but HGD's as well.

Sigh... only if they just trusted each other!

I still like to believe that he became a good king unlike his older brother regardless of what have happened. Maybe that's wishful thought on my part despite that was Yi Nok's last wish for him. What busyizzy said seem pretty logical. I can't hate him though, especially that he shed a tear for them and for himself. And also HGD didn't give up either despite prince's plead. Both of them are a lot similar in some way.

Didn't like the ending, argh! Too sad, because I was rooting for prince in becoming a great king and having HGD by his side. Prince was my favorite character. I wish I stop ending up liking secondary character because most of time they are doomed characters to start with, like prince.

Do anyone know any shows that is like this, but perhaps with happier ending? This was my first time watchng Korea drama that isn't based on modern era. Just happy ones, I truly hated sad ending and I thought this drama wasn't one of those.

eilla

Post by eilla » Apr 7th, '08, 05:53

I think HGD didn't say anything about the sword because Madam Noah asked him and besides, for HGD sword wasn't important, he wasn't fighting for a sword but for a Prince himself. At the beginning I really liked Prince but in the end he freaked out and destroyed everything. I just hope that he would become a good king and that HGD and Yi Nok's ghosts would haunt him forever!!!
Such a nice person at the beginning, what a shame!
Any other simillar dramas?

didiellza

Post by didiellza » Apr 7th, '08, 11:28

hmmm what a disappointing ending!!!
:scratch: What I don't get it is why did the drama start with that scene in the 1st Episode?? I mean I didn't see that scene in the further episodes!! Did I miss something?? At least they should had ended the drama like it started.

Baa :cussing: I shouldn't have watched the last 5 minutes!! It ruined me the whole drama! :cry:

eilla

Post by eilla » Apr 7th, '08, 12:08

Is there anyone who is satisfied with ending?

abel nightroad

Post by abel nightroad » Apr 7th, '08, 12:10

@ eilla
try capital scandal...
i think almost everyone is not satisfied with the ending... since episode 1 was kinda misleading...

the reason why gil dong didn't tell the prince that the sword was fake is because the prince might waver and for gildong, it really didn't matter... the prince's cause for being the king is the people and not the sword...

i don't really get the reason why the king attacked gil dong and hwal bin dang... all the reason i think of are IMHO not valid for him to take his back on gil dong and attack him...

btw... i really like the scene when Yi Nok blocked chisu's path to attack gil dong... She said to him - "The good person in Young Master that i knew is about to die... Go and protect him... Go and tell Madam Noh too, that i have come to protect gil dong"... the way she said it, she was really cool and had such magnificent valor.

Silentwolfdog

Post by Silentwolfdog » Apr 7th, '08, 18:40

^ Agreed. That was pretty cool of Yi Nok.

Do Gil Dong honestly think the secret could have been kept like this? He got to know that there's always a traitor or people who know among them. I think he should have told him and when the prince waver like this, Yi Nok and Gil Dong could have put him back on the track after giving him time he needs. Just like when Yi Nok waver, both of them helped her.

It's like if prince told Yi Nok who she was, her grandfather might could have avoid his fate. Prince even said this in one of the ep.

I still don't understand what prince meant when he said he won't forget when he talks with Gil Dong for the last time. Does that mean he respected those people or that he know how to stop them? Or what?

Sighs, it truly hurts to watch prince turns out like that. It almost made me wish that he died a noble death instead of turn back against his own friend.

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Apr 7th, '08, 19:04

Well, yeah, I'm satisfied with the ending.. even if I was disleaded with the opening at first, too.

Why? Well, from ever since HGD is a story told over many years and something like a 'legend'. And the legend had to be written.. here it was written by Eun Hye, if you remember.. and as far as we know 'legends' never die... I would have been happy with an ending for this drama like it was shown in the 1st episode,too... but I also like, how it ends now: the last sentences of the monk make it - for me - a good ending :-)

didiellza, I think that the first few minutes was that, what Eun Hye wrote about HGD: a cool guy and his friends fighting together (perhaps forever ^-^) for the poor and how Eun Hye wanted to show HGD to others.
Last edited by littledraci on Apr 7th, '08, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 7th, '08, 19:37

abel nightroad wrote: i don't really get the reason why the king attacked gil dong and hwal bin dang... all the reason i think of are IMHO not valid for him to take his back on gil dong and attack him...
Well, the prince said earlier, he's at the top and he's at the bottom. If they can't meet in the middle, they would be head to head at each other. I can understand the prince's view. He's a ruler. HGD put him up as King. Then at the end says he doesn't need a King. Why did HGD put him up as King if he says he doesn't want a King? It seems like he was using the prince to get rid of the current King cuz the prince is the lesser of 2 evils.

The prince even ask him to office to help change things. Change doesn't come in a day. HGD created chaos as soon as he got into office. It was his intention to give the prince a hard time. He could have just acted like "Bao Qing" like the judge in court to stand up for justice and protect the people so everyone had equal law. But HGD had to stirr up so many things as soon as he got to office without even letting the heat settle down after a change of ruler.

Also, there can not be 2 powers in a Kingdom. HGD's group was getting too big including all those rumours spreading the people want him to be king. Of course the prince would worry if HGD would one day attack him to get the throne. Or if he didn't with all these idealism spreading, everyone would flock to go to HGD's world. Then what would he be a ruler of? Without people, you can't be a ruler. Either that or people might create a riot to fight against the nobles and the king because of the idealism HGD's story stirs up.

He tried to give HGD a chance by deporting him to China. HGD could have gone to China even to make his own small world, but he refused. What is the prince to do but to kill him. If he says the mountain is his own world, his own world can actually be anywhere he wants. It doesn't have to be at the mountain. The world is large.

kurodreams

Post by kurodreams » Apr 7th, '08, 21:07

was kinda dissapointed with the ending tho >.> and somewhat confused.
like in the first episode in the beginning where they showed hong gil dong and hwal bin dang attacking one of the gov officials and then they scened to the part a "few years back" how come i didnt seee that in the last ep? did they die or live T.T???

Silentwolfdog

Post by Silentwolfdog » Apr 7th, '08, 21:25

Yeah, I was disappointed too. And somewhere confused as well. I guess it's a legend after all, it's up to us to interpret it the way we want.

I read something on wiki (the only source I can find at moment) about Hong Gil Dong and it has a different story. He even worked with the king for a while before going off and become a king in a different city(?). I guess it's like Robin Hood, you will get a different story from each writer.

But I don't like this writer for the drama because of the ending, lol.
Watching SP even without subtitles at the moment does help make me feel a little better. lol

This is why I tend to avoid drama with sad ending, it just leaves me feeling sick to the stomach for a while. I should have waited and ask you guys before starting watch this drama. lol

abel nightroad

Post by abel nightroad » Apr 8th, '08, 07:20

Well, the prince said earlier, he's at the top and he's at the bottom. If they can't meet in the middle, they would be head to head at each other. I can understand the prince's view. He's a ruler. HGD put him up as King. Then at the end says he doesn't need a King. Why did HGD put him up as King if he says he doesn't want a King? It seems like he was using the prince to get rid of the current King cuz the prince is the lesser of 2 evils.
i think what gil dong is trying to say to the prince is that he wants to eliminate the discrimination between the nobles and the lower class people... he wants everybody to be equal and have equal rights... he did put him up as king... but the reason behind that was to change the current world into a better world... and in order to achieve that, he intends to continue fighting until that very day...
The prince even ask him to office to help change things. Change doesn't come in a day. HGD created chaos as soon as he got into office. It was his intention to give the prince a hard time. He could have just acted like "Bao Qing" like the judge in court to stand up for justice and protect the people so everyone had equal law. But HGD had to stirr up so many things as soon as he got to office without even letting the heat settle down after a change of ruler.
I agree that change doesn't come in a day... but after he was put into the throne, it was clear that there were no changes that took place, only the king was changed... corrupt officials and scholars were still officials and still roam in the palace... it wasn't gil dong's intention to give the prince a hard time... his true intentions was to show them that problems could be solved and things could change if someone will do it... his personality is not the same to "Bao Qing" that they would do the same thing... people do things differently according to their personality...
Also, there can not be 2 powers in a Kingdom. HGD's group was getting too big including all those rumors spreading the people want him to be king. Of course the prince would worry if HGD would one day attack him to get the throne. Or if he didn't with all these idealism spreading, everyone would flock to go to HGD's world. Then what would he be a ruler of? Without people, you can't be a ruler. Either that or people might create a riot to fight against the nobles and the king because of the idealism HGD's story stirs up.
true, two powers in one kingdom is just havoc... but the prince should have used gil dong's influence to sway the people into his side "since" the prince and gil dong are on the same side... if he had faith in HGD, then he wouldn't feel threatened... there would be no HGD's world if gil dong sees any amount of changes or results after he took the throne...
He tried to give HGD a chance by deporting him to China. HGD could have gone to China even to make his own small world, but he refused. What is the prince to do but to kill him. If he says the mountain is his own world, his own world can actually be anywhere he wants. It doesn't have to be at the mountain. The world is large.
if HGD was to accept his proposal to be deported to china, then "all" of his efforts will be wasted... what did he fight for then?... he fights for the weak and powerless to change the world... if he leaves, then it is like he abandons the people and his dreams...

didiellza

Post by didiellza » Apr 8th, '08, 08:46

@ littledraci Thank you, now I get it.

@ abel nightroad
I really like your comments and I often (more than often) agree with you!

leenzy

Post by leenzy » Apr 8th, '08, 15:52

guys,

Finally Hong Gil Dong was END!!..but can u guys tell me what is exactly happened to HGD+ YI NOK and All d Hwal Bin Dang members :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: ? did they all die :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: ? i dun understand..i've just finished the last episode yesterday.:roll :roll :roll .maybe i mis something :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: ? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: i think at 1st (1st episode)...HGD and the others was fighting + robbing the noble, n then..the stories go back to few years later...what does it mean..for me it tells that HGD wasn't die..right?

Thanks !!! :wub: :wub: :salut: :salut: :salut: :wub:

Silentwolfdog

Post by Silentwolfdog » Apr 8th, '08, 15:59

Hmm...people here really bring some good reasons for both sides.

I just wish Gil Dong picked a better way, like doing something to corrupt officals instead of letting them scare the prince to death. Just get rid of Ryu, so that he can not threat the prince anymore.

Anyhow, can anyone tell me what the prince meant at the last meeting between Gil Dong and prince? I still don't understand what prince meant when he said he won't "forget."

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Apr 8th, '08, 22:06

Wow, I still don't know what to say...
First of all, I am satisfied with the ending. Like everyone else, I had hoped for a happily ever after with Gil Dong and Yi Nok happily married, Chang Hui being a good king, and Hwal Bin Dang's "dream" coming true...but I think this ending was probably more appropriate. It was actually kind of beautiful. The flaming arrows in the sky with Gil Dong and Yi Nok holding hands and then the pretty flower on the ground and untouched while the arrows were destroying the hideout. I LOVED that. And then the modern-day Korea with Hae Myung as a hobo (HA!) and how Hong Gil Dong's legend lives on...man that was deep.
So yeah, I liked the ending. I'm not happy because it really was sad, but it was a great ending to a kind of mediocre show. I really think that Hong Gil Dong is the worst Hong Sisters drama so far. Not to be cynical, but that's my opinion. Everything that I love about the Hong Sisters was lacking in HGD. The romance, humor, and pacing. The leads had great chemistry, but there weren't enough sizzling GD-YN moments for my liking. And the humor...was really below average. It was a mostly serious drama with some good intense moments but not-very-funny jokes. The writers have done much better. Also I thought it wasn't as fast-paced as their other three dramas were. There were some unnecessary episodes in the middle; I kinda wanted them to GET TO THE POINT a little faster. Although I guess the whole fusion aspect of the show made it feel necessary for them to have a minimum of 24 episodes. With that said, I think they did a good job of maintaining the drama's sageuk-ness, which at the same time forced them to lose some of their Hong Sisters-ness.

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Apr 8th, '08, 22:31

Another one of the few fans, who liked the ending, ne fizzlex3mh? :-)

Ah, but for me it was not the worst Hong-Sisters-Drama at all.... some more HGD-Yi Nok scenes would have been nice :wub: .. but I think, this was not really the main point of the drama... it was more the legend and the revolution.. in comparison to Delightful Girl or My Girl where the main subject were the romance..so it's a bit diffrent..
Probably the Hong-Sisters actually wanted to make a little change in their writing..

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Apr 9th, '08, 18:54

I just saw 1st episode. This is my first historical style drama and I'm quite liking it. Though akl teh flying and high jumps annoy me (probably cuz I haven't gotten used to it). I like the comedy and plot seems nice. though I have the feeling that it will get serius. I always loved the Robin Hood story so I'm happy to see a drama losely based on that story. HA HA! That disco scene in first episode totally cracked me!! Acting is pretty good too.

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Apr 9th, '08, 22:56

:lol Your feeling, that it will be getting more serious won't disappoint you, maakopla :lol

...about the prince and that he won't forget...there'll be probably more than one way to think about. One could be that he respect them and their spirit & reason for the fight..a second one could be that he knows how to fight them * like silentwolfdog already assumed*, since they fought together before..
I'd like to think, he won't forget their will to fight for their dreams, their imagination of a better world.. perhaps he'll take these dreams as a foundation to change a tiny bit in his world..someday..

leenzy, well yes they
all died except Gomi and the monk..
I wrote my opinion to these first minutes of the first episode before ^-^
For me it seems, that this was the retelling/ telling of Gil Dongs story by Eun Hye. If you remember, in the last 2 episodes she published 2 books... the first one that leads more or less to the final fight and the second one, after the fight, with more heroic stories about Gil Dong and his 'magic' ^-^
It's almost like: first you've been told the legend - and then: here you got the real story behind the legend shown in 24 episodes ^-^
Last edited by littledraci on Apr 9th, '08, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

Silentwolfdog

Post by Silentwolfdog » Apr 9th, '08, 23:28

Ah, thanks littledraci, that make more sense to me now. Both of your opinions about the beginning of the ep and the prince's "won't forget" scene.

Yeah, me too I would like to think that way too, since there's still a good person inside him as long as it doesn't die...
I think prince's strong enough not to allow this happen as long as he got someone he needs on his side. I guess that's why Yi Nok told the loyal soldier to "protect" him.

busyizzy

Post by busyizzy » Apr 10th, '08, 01:32

Was the last scene really necesary ? where HGD is standing on the rooftop of a building with the power ranger suit..... geez >.<
Yeah, I thought it was. The point was the LEGEND of Hong Gil Dong. It emphasizes the fact that this legend is still alive and strong, even in this modern society.

Besides, ending with the first scene of the series wouldn't make sense. If they keep fighting, there is no resolution. They just ... keep fighting? To what end? Change what? Why did they bother fighting to put Chang Hwi as a king if they were just going to fight his authority in the end - and that's the ending? No. While I agree it would have been a nice fairy tale ending, this series, specially the last few episodes, was going beyond that. It was trying to send a message about what Gil Dong was fighting for, and I think the ending delivered that much better than a fairy tale ending would have where everyone still lives happily ever after - cuz ... they can't. It's just not realistic in the sense the series was heading in.

abel nightroad

Post by abel nightroad » Apr 10th, '08, 05:13

I don't really hate the ending because it was still good... it was just too sad and too heartbreaking...

The series shows what HGD dreams for, which is to change the world to a better world (human rights and equality), and at the 2nd half of the series he shows it, that he will keep moving forward and keep fighting until that day comes... chang hwi being put to the throne is just the beginning for them... beginning of a change...

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Apr 10th, '08, 19:15

I just watched ep2. I could enjoy the disco scene one more time *he hee* Story is becoming even more interesting. I also start to like characters even more. I love Gil Dong, he is just too cute. But what to do... I think I'm starting to like the prince too. I'm really enjoying myself while watching. I like the comedy but serius scenes are even better. The king is truly a crazy man... But I'm not surprised. He has all the power in his hands. I can imagine that even I would go crazy if I could do anything and make anyone do anything I want. Also he killed so much people, the feeling of guilt must be great. I'm so happy that finally someone is picturing a tyrant king as it should be pictured.

macross

Post by macross » Apr 10th, '08, 20:59

leenzy wrote:guys,

Finally Hong Gil Dong was END!!..but can u guys tell me what is exactly happened to HGD+ YI NOK and All d Hwal Bin Dang members :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: ? did they all die :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: ? i dun understand..i've just finished the last episode yesterday.:roll :roll :roll .maybe i mis something :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: ? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: i think at 1st (1st episode)...HGD and the others was fighting + robbing the noble, n then..the stories go back to few years later...what does it mean..for me it tells that HGD wasn't die..right?

The king destroyed the village and captured everyone and secretly banished them to china.

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Apr 10th, '08, 21:01

macross wrote:
leenzy wrote:guys,

The king destroyed the village and captured everyone and secretly banished them to china.
:mrgreen: definitely go with this :mrgreen: ...... *even if this is not true*

leenzy

Post by leenzy » Apr 11th, '08, 03:51

guys, thanks 4 the explanation..it's too many opinion but i can accept all of that...it was a Legend rite!!! Thanks...

currently watching : Dal jas Spring, Lovers in Prague

currently downloading : 1 mom 3 dad, Bad couple

ooijanice

Post by ooijanice » Apr 13th, '08, 01:32

Wow, after reading all the above reviews I must definately download this drama.
Thank you all for sharing .

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Apr 13th, '08, 12:08

ooijanice wrote:Wow, after reading all the above reviews I must definately download this drama.
Thank you all for sharing .
:D and don't forget to tell us, if you've got the same opinion like we have :lol

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Apr 14th, '08, 14:03

Hong Gil Dong has a very nice balance of comedy and serious stuff. I love the comedy! It was so funny when in ep 5 Gil Dong was searching for the man with wound. I actually pitied the guards :D and that pervert And I gotta love the borthel too. I wonder if there will be another disco coming up :D Or when the monk was recalling how he teached Gil Dong LOL

God I'm liking the prince more and more. He is so cute :wub: though I hate his hairstyle... But no one can win Gil Dong. I'm so happy that he is so cool and talented. Usually in this kind of stories the hero is stupid loser with bad luck (or really good luck which suddenly disappears) then he suddenly illuminates that he has to help and starts hard training etc. I hope there won't be any morality thinking from Gil Dong's side. Like I have been such an **** before but now I will turn into a better person ETC. I'm sick of that. (that's the problem American movies usually have). Hong Gil Dong is perfect as he is now. I dunno how he managed be so hateful even then when he didn't do anything LOL: (like his father ordered him. I just gotta love that scene when his father asked "what are you doing nowadays?" and Gil Dong answered "Nothing")

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Apr 14th, '08, 16:21

I know what you mean :lol The reason why I continued watching HGD was definitely this balance between comedy and seriousness. And it was *for me* something new with this up-beat music in this era, HGD plays. Didn't expect that, but now I'm so happy, that HGD was my first 'historical' drama. :cheers:

abel nightroad

Post by abel nightroad » Apr 14th, '08, 16:27

^

agrees... that is also what i liked in HGD... a good balance of comedy, drama, romance, action and a very good storyline...

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Apr 17th, '08, 18:55

I am gonna be bichy right now and complain about stupid things like
Gil Dong falling off the cliff (it was so unreal) and him going to marketplace without no one recognizing him. These small things are really annoying :glare:

It was pretty touching when he was burying the heads of those construction workers in ep 8. It must have hurt a lot since he was bleeding.
Now that I have seen prince's smile I really like him :wub: He turns into such a sweet guy around Yi Nok. Then again Gil Dong has become so serious. I bet he misses everyone a lot :cry:

I kind of like thie serius side of the drama but I wish there would be more comedy. I love the comedy in this one. But all funny moments with Yi Nok rght now won't satisfy me. I want more.

btw the king's really crazy. I want to see what kind of guy he was before he had turned into a crazy man. Ministers are fools too. Take orders from an insane guy and be scared of him... Well thats' how it is in real world too

guiligirl

My opinion

Post by guiligirl » Apr 30th, '08, 20:04

Sung Yuri and Kang Ji Hwan are so cute together. I enjoyed this drama from the beginning to the end
I hate the scriptwriter for not giving a happy ending to Yi Nik and Gil Dong. The ending was so beautiful though it was so sad too, I cried so much when she tells him "I love you" and he answers that he knows what it means and then "Saranghe, Saranghe" aaaaah !!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I hardly cry while watching a drama but this time, they got me with this final scene.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Apr 30th, '08, 20:54

Yes the ending was beautiful. But then it also made me wonder. What kind of king did the prince become? A good one or just another king? What happened to Gomi? What about Eun Hye? How did life continue
after Gil dong was gone? I suppose Eun Hye wrote more books about him?
After watching whole drama I think it was only so-so. Romance was lacking and chemistry between main characters wasn't that good. At first I liked Jang Geun Suk but then I noticed that his face was like dead fish. Always that same expression <_< What a boring actor. However I'm very pleased with Kang Ji Hwan. He was perfect Gil Dong^^
I also loved the insane king. He was one of the most interesting characters ever. He was crazy but there were still a ray of intelligense left. The way he ended up was mean but beautifu.

Story was nice. But after it got more serious it lost it's charm. It was still good but it missed something. I loved all the funny moments from beginning.

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Jun 5th, '08, 06:59

Great drama.
Is it just me or does Sung Yuri sound like Yoon Eun Hye in Coffee Prince?

toasted_cream

Post by toasted_cream » Jun 7th, '08, 21:02

I'm glad I don't know enough about the actors/actress in a way because I can't make comparisons which I would do if I could, hell - straight after watching Hong Gil Dong and L o v i n g it! I watched a bit of Iljimae - and hated it. Hong gil Dong is actually my favourite drama, period, now. I cried lots during it and I cried long and hard when it was over if only for the fact that there was no more! I had a hard time "breaking up" with this drama and watching the special did a little to bring me back to reality but there's an empty space there now that I know will never be filled! [how melodramatic!]

Anyhoob my favourite characters were, of course, Hong Gil Dong, The King [excuse me, by the by for not knowing anyone's real name, I'm sure it's annoying] and Hong Gil Dong's master the priest. - His laugh lit up the world for me! haha

Most impressive was definitely the king. And his relationship with Hong Gil Dong's father was, for lack of a better word, amazing!

Sono

Post by Sono » Jun 11th, '08, 20:44

i totally disagree with you when you said that Jang Geu suk i s a bad actor...
his character is a ghost with only one objectif : revenge !
how can he make a lot of different faces ...with his terrible past ? Yi nok make him smile for the first in this life...

Jang geun suk have made a really good job!

Evange

Post by Evange » Jun 24th, '08, 09:00

Just finished this series. Gotta say this is one of the best period K-dramas ever! But i'm really confused after watching the last episode. Remember the 1st episode? After HGD and his gang robbed the minister in the opening sequence, there was a message saying that basically in the rest of the episodes, we're just watching a flashback.
Since HGD and his gang died in the last episode, how can the robbing take place then? So can i assume that the chief of the thieves in the opening sequence is actually the little boy whom HGD's master took as his disciple?

littledraci

Post by littledraci » Jun 24th, '08, 11:41

You're not the only one who was confused about it at first, Evange ^^

With some discussion here and there we came to the result, that
the first minutes of the first episodes are the stories, Eun Hye had written. If you remember, in the later half of the drama, she started writing stories about HGD.. at first to harm him.. but later on to keep his 'spirit alive'.
Yeah, I don't think too, that JGS did a bad job - according to his character! He portrait it well...but I was still sometimes a bit annoyed with this face all the time *lol*
But you felt his smile everytime he was together with Yi Nok, when his heart lightened up around her..

Evange

Post by Evange » Jun 24th, '08, 11:47

Haha... Glad someone cleared my doubts! Many thanks!

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Jun 24th, '08, 12:37

Sono wrote:i totally disagree with you when you said that Jang Geu suk i s a bad actor...
his character is a ghost with only one objectif : revenge !
how can he make a lot of different faces ...with his terrible past ? Yi nok make him smile for the first in this life...

Jang geun suk have made a really good job!
At first I liked him a lot. But soon he became very boring. His character was interesting but Jang Geuk Suk could have dones so much better. His past was truly awful and thus he never smiled and had only few expressions. But even with few expressions person can make much more for example using eyes and small gestures to express pain and stuff. His face was always exactly the same, his voice was always exactly the same. He seemed kind of tense (could learn things or few from So Ji Sub or Lee Jin Wook). His character was just a ghost but he changed. He met Yi Nok and his smile was truly very beautiful. He was so cute when he smiled^^ his life changed but his pain wouldn't go away because he learned that what he has been living for, it all was just a scam. Everything in what he believed scattered in many peaces. He was such a tragic character. With so much tragedy he still had only that same face. To tell the truth I couldn't feel the pain he was feeling.

But well. Others like and other's don't. It's just my opinion.

Evange

Post by Evange » Jun 25th, '08, 05:45

I think Jang Geu suk is an excellent actor. Although he wore very few facial expressions, you could see it all in his eyes: his struggle to become the King, his unrequited love for Yi Nok, everything is shown in his eyes.

Sak

Post by Sak » Jun 29th, '08, 00:24

Love the drama but truly disappointed with the sad ending, which was so unexpected.

I read on wiki that the book that it was based on seems to have a different story. In the wiki yi noki wasn't even mentioned. So dunno if she is in it, but reading the description it seems like they would have been better off sticking with the book. Well thats IMHO anyhow.

equinox

Post by equinox » Jun 30th, '08, 05:41

The ending is sad but it is the most logical ending...

Elien

Post by Elien » Jul 12th, '08, 20:09

Watching it rigt now and i must say that it is one of the best dramas I´ve seen so far :D Or just the most funny?? XD Nevermind that, I love the prince :wub: