What Happened In Bali? (SBS, 2004) *Warning: SPOILERS!*

Discuss Korean drama series here.
lilpucal0v3r

Post by lilpucal0v3r » Aug 23rd, '06, 05:55

oh crap guys, i came to this thread to rant on how crappy lee sung wahtever was, but then i started reading hte comments, and crap, now i have the ending. so people werent kidding about the whole dieing thing.BUT ILL WATCH IT NOW. anyways, DUDE that GIRL. freak, all she has is this shock/cry thing?!?!?! i mean what happend to the spunky girl in the beginning, and gosh they are all so pathetic!! but okay, i am itching to read what you guys wrote, but i WONT!! NOOOO. so yeah, be back in 7 eps =]

noriblue

yeah

Post by noriblue » Nov 21st, '06, 04:46

dokbupgi wrote:and poor yin joo. tho her character is far far from likable, she's the most pathetic even she's the only who got to live on. i thot she should be the one who go and shoot soo jung down! i can never imagine how's the feeling when some1 i love changed to love another girl, and i'm forced by circumstances to marry another guy, and yet this guy also loves that same girl! omg think i may commit suicide... :p
I am watching ep 13, but I peeked at ep 20... bad habit of mine. I know I shouldn't do it.. but it didn't stop me watching the drama.
Really like this series, I am glad its the Kdrama of the month of Nov 2006 !!!
I went to sleep after watching ep 12 and I was dreaming watching the next episode.. oh wait.. I think I was IN the episode. hahaha. Well, a girl can dream.... I find Jae Min as a very attractive and cute guy. :wub:
Yeah, after jae-min and in-wok gone (dead), I think there is no reason for young-jo to live. hehehe.
Is this the first Korean drama where 3 of the main characters killed? hehe..

noriblue

question

Post by noriblue » Nov 22nd, '06, 03:06

You know the small apartments that soo jung and in wok stayed.. where is the bathroom? Do they have to go to the bathouse to take shower? Is the bathroom outside the house?

Any idea?

shizniz00

Post by shizniz00 » Nov 22nd, '06, 03:51

oh man! this was one heck of a drama!! loved ha ji won after this :D :P man i broke into tears throughout the whole thing..thats how good it was...lol

Ada Wong

Post by Ada Wong » Nov 24th, '06, 13:12

I watched the first episode of this drama yesterday. I didn't know So Ji Sub, whom I discovered in MISA was in it, so it was a good surprise. But he doesn't look as good in WHIB than in MISA, IMO.

I felt that for a first episode, things are going pretty fast at the beginning, like if it was not the first episode but the second or something like that. But honestly, I don't like any of the characters for now. The girl who makes them visit Bali is so annoying and ugly, I really dislike her, and the way she's acting. She's just overdoing it. The other characters are not very interesting and the other female lead is not very pretty either. Maybe I'll change my mind later when I've watched a few more episodes, but I'm not very enthusiastic about this show for the moment.

nhunggg

Post by nhunggg » Nov 24th, '06, 13:28

this series is very good and interesting :DD

greenenvy

Post by greenenvy » Dec 5th, '06, 01:24

Wwaldo37 wrote:Ok watched the last two episodes of W@*&!HIB ended around 2:30 am.

WOW :pale:

I just re-watched the final episode of Lovely Sam Soon this morning In order to get that taste out of my mouth (I feel better now). Btw: I didn't mind the ending of bodigadu wasn't great but (last weekend).

Wow what a surprise-shocker! The most shocking ending I've seen yet... I think. (No busses at least)

Much of this was brought on in regard to dahee's post.

I can't say I was surprised in the least Lee Soo-Jung said "I love you" at the end I felt that all along she just wouldn't admit it to herself.

I seem to disagree on a few points people keep mentioning

I think Lee Soo-Jung loved In-Wook very much as a BEST-FRIEND, however, I don't think she was ever in lust with him (the kind of love that makes one crazy)

I might need to re-watch the beginning over again (immediately after watching the end I queued the hq-ep 02 lol) to see what there initial feelings after Bali were. But, It is possible if not likely that Lee Soo-Jung fell in love with Jung Jae-Min while in bali.

Jung Jae-Min on the other hand kept offering her money and saying things like I can't give you marriage..." I don't EXPECT you to give me your heart... Its enough I give you mine" (or something to that effect) I think that Lee Soo-Jung was angry, hurt and humiliated that Jung Jae-Min was willing to possess her out of his assumption that he couldn't have her heart (when he could have if he was more direct and had the expectation for her to return his love) . Lee Soo-Jung wouldn't admit to herself that she loved Jung Jae-Min and it was driving her crazy in a way In-Wook never could.

I really wonder if Lee Soo-Jung was after money like everyone seems to post about. I was kind of surprised people posted that she was at sometime or an other after Jung Jae-Min for the money. Every time she said/admitted "Its for the money!" it never seemed sincere and that she was saying it to hurt Jung Jae-Min for being perceived as a gold-digger and betrayed.

Do you think it would it have made a difference to Jung Jae-Min if he had heard their final conversation and would he have been able to put the gun away after showing them?

I had hoped for a happy ending where the four of them remained good friends for years to come and where Lee Soo-Jung and Kang In-Wook were perhaps closer best-friends with the "normal" pairing of Lee Soo-Jung-Jung Jae-Min & Kang In-Wook-Choi Young-Joo.

I was even imagining something where Kang In-Wook would embezzle a nice nest egg that the four of them could live on independently of poppa... sigh.

I always felt a deep-down respect between Jung Jae-Min and Kang In-Wook that just wasn't allowed to blossom (lol) and I thought they could be good friends (if only Choi Young-Joo had given in?)

Did the older brother DIE?! Was the family decimated?
Choi Young-Joo appears to be the only heir?

Yes... I used search/replace on all the names (LSJ->Lee Soo-Jung) ;P
you know i was thinking along those lines too. i just finished the series after staying up 2 nights in a row, plus i have to work. this series was a a real hooker and i still cannot stop thinking about it. i LOVE ha ji won and jo in sung. :D

okay, i believe soo jung would do just about anything for money, but she didn't want the money once she fell in love with jae-min.

the first two times jae min asked her how much it cost for him to sleep with her, she was very upset. and he offered her money. yet when she finally slept with him, all he did was tell her he wanted her, no money involved. i would like to think it's because she's already in love with him that she willingly slept with him. as you can tell how upset and hurt she was when he gave her money afterwards. she told him she couldn't give him her heart, but i think she did and saying that leave some of her pride intact.

i said to my husband the same thing about in wook and jae min. you could tell they would have make the BEST of friends if only the circumstances were different. and many parts and conversations in the series prove that. i REALLY want them to be friends. but they're always fighting for the same thing. :(

in wook was always there for her. i think she would have fallen in love with in wook if she didn't already love jae min. she probably thought she could have a life with him regardless, but as we can see at the end, she wasn't happy. and in wook knew that.

it's never easy to choose who you love so i don't know why people would call soo jung a sl*t or wh0re if she slept with both.

i never knew who jo in sung is but saw so ji sup from glass slippers. i fell in love with in sung in this series and i just cannot get enough of them two together. :D they have great chemistry together imo. :D

here's a few clips of their commercials and the photo shoot of WHIB on youtube.

commercial:

photoshoot:

noticed how they have to put magazines under so ji sup to make him as tall as in sung? :D cute! and i think ji sup is pretty tall too - as least he was in glass slippers.

commercial 2:

WHIB NG's:

photos (tell me if i'm spamming this thread) :D

[img]http://cafechi.net/images2/ha-jo.jpg[/img]
[img]http://cafechi.net/images2/ha-jo-.jpg[/img]
[img]http://cafechi.net/images2/ha-jo-2.jpg[/img]

NADZ

Post by NADZ » Dec 5th, '06, 12:54

the ending total shock :blink :blink :shocked:
i liked the drama it was nice

pristina

Post by pristina » Dec 7th, '06, 11:12

the ending is kinda shocking...but it is a nice drama.....

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Dec 25th, '06, 07:19

[img]http://img60.exs.cx/img60/3815/l06.jpg[/img]

First of all, let me start by saying that WHIB is one of the few dramas where it's actually beneficial to know the ending. I initially only watched episodes 1 & 2 and didn't find it intetesting mainly because I didn't really like the characters. A couple of months later I accidentally stumbled upon the spoiler in the soompi forums and it made me intrigued as to WHY things turned out the way they did.

After watching eps 3 & 4 I was finally hooked and to date, I rate it amongst my top 5 favorite k-dramas (ive only seen about 20). I said earlier I didn't like the characters, but after watching the whole series, I realized they weren't supposed to be likeable. I guess that's what was different about WHIB. Each one of the 4 main characters were very stubborn, and in away, very selfish, but hey, that's what makes it all more realistic.

Great performances by the main cast, esp. Jo In Sung. I noticed some of you guys said he over-acted a bit it some scenes, but I didn't notice it. His character was very emotional and spontaneous, sometimes even psychotic, and he acted that out very well. Ha Ji Won was very good, as per usual. I haven't seen her do a bad job in anything I've seen her in. As for So Ji Sup...well, he played a role that doesn't express much emotions so I can't really comment.

WHIB also has a fantastic sountrack with some very nice background music. I remember a scene when Jae-Min broke up with Young-Joo with "Fool Again" by Westlife playing in the background - Fantastic Stuff!

This series however, was far from perfect. The use of flashback scenes which I detest so much was used constantly. Esp. from about eps 15 til the end. Flashbacks and and you know those scenes when a person is at a bar drinking soju thinking about what the other person just said. Two minutes ago? Please. I understand the need for flashbacks and such, it gives the viewer a nostalgic feeling, but E-V-E-R-Y single episode, numerous times? No thanks. The only time flashbacks are required is right near the end of a series or when something significant happened which triggers a memory of the past.

Otherwise though, a pretty good atmospheric drama with a shocking ending. Yep, I was shocked even though I partially knew how it ended. Highly recommend to anyone looking for something a little bit different.

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Jan 17th, '07, 09:59

Like kobe23^^ I didn't like the first few episodes. I downloaded and watched them back in the day when k-drama was pretty scarce and KD was the only fansubbing group for korean series. I kept hearing about how good it was and I decided to finish downloading the episodes to watch the supposedly shocking ending. I tried to skip the spoilerish parts in this thread but I couldn't help but to read more about this show. I am officially in love with it!! I rewatched the first few episodes to refresh my memory and now I am totally hooked on this show. I still find some parts boring, like the tourist guy, KIW's mom & Soojung's friend & brother...no can do about that. :P Ha jiwon's character annoys me slightly as well but I'll accept it since she seems less ditsy back in Korea than in Bali.

Anyway, at first I found Jung Jae min interesting but almost too snooty for my taste. I quite liked Kang Inwook's character...those angsty guys always get to me. After watching more of Jung Jaemin I am totally rooting for him! I just finished watching ep 8 and he was crying because he saw lee soo jung coming out of Inwook's apartment. Oh man, I feel so bad for him. He really likes her and is purehearted, its just that his pride gets in the way of showing it to her. -.- Gah, Jo Insung is one of my favorite actors now. I can't believe I didn't get hooked on this series sooner. And for what its worth, I think this series is better than MISA. I found it pretty boring at times and the storyline isn't that interesting. Okay, I will go on watching episode 9 now. Its extremely late, I should get to bed but somedays my addiction is ... :P

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 18th, '07, 13:04

hehe I pretty much felt the same way about the series as you at the same stage. At first I thought Jung Jae Min was an arrogant prick but then as the series progressed I really liked him and started disliking Kang In-Wook. I thought the tourist guy was funny though... funny in a desperate/loser kinda way :lol He gets hired by Jae-Min later on and raves on about these 'get-rich-quick-schemes' to the workers and they actually believe him.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the series. The best parts IMO were in between eps. 5-15, in kinda starts to drag after 15, but you just have to hold on for the ending :O

annthizzle

Post by annthizzle » Jan 20th, '07, 19:45

i think itx kool how after this movie the 2 main characters actually got together in real lyfe !! and theyy are really koote too!!

kdlover

WHIB torrent files are not available anymore!!!!!!

Post by kdlover » Jan 30th, '07, 08:06

hi, i really loved this series.. and i managed to donwload until episode 6 from the torrents on this site. And yesterday I started downloading episode 7-20, today i just realised that the torrent files has been removed from this tracker.

what should I do? how can i download the rest of the episodes??? pls help....

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 30th, '07, 13:20

^ you will have to resort to clubbox from now on.

kdlover

Post by kdlover » Jan 31st, '07, 00:53

clubbox?... do you mean this url : http://www.clubbox.co.kr/

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Jan 31st, '07, 01:51

That's the clubbox mainpage, you'll need to make an account before you can download. It's quite a drawn out process if you can't read korean, but there are tutorials here at DA and also over at Soompi. Don't ask me how to do it, I've probably already forgotten :)

http://clubbox.co.kr/posole

This clubbox here contains WHIB HQ files.

Good luck!

HQLover

Post by HQLover » Jan 31st, '07, 04:52

kobe23 wrote:[img]http://img60.exs.cx/img60/3815/l06.jpg[/img]

First of all, let me start by saying that WHIB is one of the few dramas where it's actually beneficial to know the ending. I initially only watched episodes 1 & 2 and didn't find it intetesting mainly because I didn't really like the characters. A couple of months later I accidentally stumbled upon the spoiler in the soompi forums and it made me intrigued as to WHY things turned out the way they did.

After watching eps 3 & 4 I was finally hooked and to date, I rate it amongst my top 5 favorite k-dramas (ive only seen about 20). I said earlier I didn't like the characters, but after watching the whole series, I realized they weren't supposed to be likeable. I guess that's what was different about WHIB. Each one of the 4 main characters were very stubborn, and in away, very selfish, but hey, that's what makes it all more realistic.

Great performances by the main cast, esp. Jo In Sung. I noticed some of you guys said he over-acted a bit it some scenes, but I didn't notice it. His character was very emotional and spontaneous, sometimes even psychotic, and he acted that out very well. Ha Ji Won was very good, as per usual. I haven't seen her do a bad job in anything I've seen her in. As for So Ji Sup...well, he played a role that doesn't express much emotions so I can't really comment.

WHIB also has a fantastic sountrack with some very nice background music. I remember a scene when Jae-Min broke up with Young-Joo with "Fool Again" by Westlife playing in the background - Fantastic Stuff!

This series however, was far from perfect. The use of flashback scenes which I detest so much was used constantly. Esp. from about eps 15 til the end. Flashbacks and and you know those scenes when a person is at a bar drinking soju thinking about what the other person just said. Two minutes ago? Please. I understand the need for flashbacks and such, it gives the viewer a nostalgic feeling, but E-V-E-R-Y single episode, numerous times? No thanks. The only time flashbacks are required is right near the end of a series or when something significant happened which triggers a memory of the past.

Otherwise though, a pretty good atmospheric drama with a shocking ending. Yep, I was shocked even though I partially knew how it ended. Highly recommend to anyone looking for something a little bit different.
i love this drama to the MAX

twinkletwinkle

Post by twinkletwinkle » Mar 24th, '07, 08:07

wahhhh...the ending was soo sad...jo in sung...wahhh...he was in love with her..but i didnt like the fact that she kept jumping from one guy to the other..that part annoyed me like crazy..she should have just stayed with jo in sung

arianne422

WHIB

Post by arianne422 » Apr 4th, '07, 07:10

Hey guys,Can anyone send me or at least tell me where I could download the WHIB episodes complete with subtitles?I tried watching it on utube but it is no longer available.So,if if anyone one could help me please,please,please do help me.You can send it to me at luvinacoutic06@yahoo.com Thanks guys I really appreciate it :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

musics

Re: download this drama??

Post by musics » Jun 19th, '07, 22:24

[quote="aly8887"][quote="wingsee26"]hey guy, can anybody tell me where I can go and download this drama or find all the episodes posting for this drama?? thanks[/quote]

yes, you can find it at http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... +all&sort=

This link is no longer exist, does anyone know any other link to dl this drama?
Thanks in advance

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Jun 19th, '07, 23:37

DA doesn't have the episodes anymore because this is a licensed drama. You can buy the DVDs with English subs in America. It's one of the few dramas I actually own. Love it to death.

If you don't want to buy it.... there are DDL sites that don't remove the licensed dramas from their database. I think you can find it on silent regrets and idols unlimited.

belleza

Post by belleza » Apr 1st, '08, 11:18

Just finished Bali and posting my thoughts before I go to sleepy . . .
I really loved the ending and just the nihilism of the whole drama -- much of it felt like an claustrophobic/intimate 4-character play. In its way, it was a liberating experience watching this and the persistent degradation of every main character.

The writer of Bali, Kim Ki Ho, wrote Wish Upon A Star. This is worth mentioning because Wish Upon A Star is considered the first true Cinderella Korean drama, starring an orphaned heroine who chooses between a chaebol and a struggling singer. Kim Ki Ho also wrote a Thousand Years of Love, which while not exactly a good drama, was unique in that it seems like it's a princess/Cinderella story, but its humor and its character development are built around persistent misogyny. Here we had a heroine who is systematically depicted as "crazy", simple-minded, snobbish, and somewhat greedy; she is literally an object to be prized. And the love in that story is built around abuse, alienation, and humiliation; bad people falling in love; love without illusion or hope. Played for laughs!!! :D

And, so, here we have what seems like Ki Ho's revisionist Cinderella story. The one where the female lead chooses the "right guy" (i.e. not the chaebol) and regrets it. The one where they end up in paradise, like a tequila sunrise, and realize that they had finally come to the final destination of their frightful nightmare. And the one where Cinderella is killed by Prince Charming.

I think the most tragic character of the story is Jung Jae Min. Not because he ends up killing the woman that he loves in the end, but because -- as Yoo Jung pointed out -- he really had no soul. He was a sad, clownish shell of a human being, a young prince who could only substantiate his emotions and other people's emotions -- and that most inconvenient feeling of love -- through money, power, and possession.

The two justified their limitations by circumstances, but Yoo Jung understood he was incapable of having a loving relationship with Soo Jung or any other woman. It terrified him when Soo Jung rejected his money; once you take that away, how can he show his love to her? How can he UNDERSTAND her feelings without money? It terrified him; it made him sought refuge in drink and drove him into the abyss. For, essentially, his love for her became an addiction to her presence; when they were together, he wasn't happy, but the pangs didn't hurt. He knew he was empty; but he knew she was empty too.

Soo Jung asks Jae Min why he loved her, and he replies because he knew noone else who shamelessly loved money as much as her. But the underlying truth was that Soo Jung could fulfill the perfect employer/employee, mistress and master, relationship. Her heart, which knew no innate sense of worth, yearned to be measured by a number. It wouldn't bring her happiness, but it was the only way her heart could respond. Jae Min knew that she was most happy not with having money, but being rewarded with money. She was an excellent hostess. She stubbornly stuck to a low receptionist job and a deeply humiliating job in the museum, not because she had no other means, but because her heart responded to the weight of the money. For the most part, she earned honestly, while her brother and previous boss were lowly conmen exploiting both her and the employers.

Pride prevented her from accepting Jae Min's love. In the context of this story, that pride manifested as her moral conscience. Because to accept that she loved Jae Min, she would have accepted that she longed for the humiliating relationship that they uniquely had, and that her heart was moved by the things he had bought for her in compensation for him owning her and the life he could reward her under his law.

She realized, in the end, her bond was greed and exploitation and that she, like Jae Min, had no soul. Having seen paradise, she longed for hell. And therefore, the paradise at the end of the story is hell to her.

In Wook provided her a possibility at a healthy relationship, but more importantly he provided her the possibility where she was allowed free will and equality. She was essentially allowed to enter and leave their relationship as she pleased. She was allowed to rebuke In Wook on the grounds that she would not be pitied by him (and thus be seen as "inferior" by him) and demanded fairness in their relationship. In the end, In Wook does not buy her the "good life"; instead, he asks her to share the spoils of his corporate rebellion. In Wook treated her like a human being and partner, without ownership or exploitation, without their love being measured by things. In the end, she rejected that too.

Bali is still a fairy tale. The castle is a prison; the prince has run mad; Cinderella loves with tearful greed. The villain of the fairy tale is Kang In Wook, who rejects the bondage to his ex-girlfriend who both loved and owned him. He despises the prince's castle and yet temporarily accepts a new master-servant relationship. Kang In Wook ruined the fairy tale when he spurned Yoo Joo's bondage. Had he accepted Yoo Joo when she left Jae Min, he in turn would have taken Soo Jung as his mistress. Finally, he destroys the castle, steals Cinderella from her abusive, loving prince, and then the prince kills the villain and Cinderella. Our hero, the abusive, loving prince, who has neither castle nor Cinderella now, who has noone to serve him and nothing to substantiate his madness, is now cipher, a nothing. His world is dead and he is dead.

Jo In Sung, only 23 in this role (and ironically not that well regarded as an actor until Bali), was absolutely brilliant especially if you consider the original plan. Had the original person Yoo Oh-sung (35-ish at the time) played this role, Jung Jae Min would have and thus a much more conventional, leery chaebol. Perhaps a man driven by jealousy and a need to possess, but nothing like what JIS did to this role. He singlehandedly turns Jung Jae Min into a tragic fool. Who from the first scene seems so disconnected from the reality of his heart that he seems a genuinely broken human being, a fundamental inability to understand and substantiate his own and other people's emotions in a way that didn't involve class and money, and thus was rendered so pathetically by desire. It isn't merely the ferocity of his tears; it is the grotesque way in which those tears and that smile and braying sound reveal of a man, who unable to love, cannot express except but by primal means.
I think it would have been pretty good .

I've been getting my head around JIS playing Kang In Wook's role. This was the first role that asked SJS to convey emotions without many lines, and most of the time his emotions had to be completely bottled up. Great for SJS -- although there's various places where you sensed that Jo Sub was struggling with finding the right shade of jealousy, this was of course great prep work for his next role in MiSa. He has terrific chemistry with the cast, and especially opposite his rival JIS. The nastiness of their rivalry, not the two-timiing love, drives this serial. In Wook is kind of the moral conscience of the story; or at least, his own opaque jealousy seems the most justified to us.

I can definitely see why Han Chae Young was originally cast Yoo Jung. Apparently, excessive materialism translates into big breasts

belleza

Post by belleza » May 14th, '08, 06:26

Just saw this on Youtube and I had to share!! Andy of Shinhwa's Bali/Jo In Sung impression! (including to one particular actress . . . :lol )

maakopla

Post by maakopla » May 24th, '08, 18:10

I think I finally understand screenwriting.

Jae Min feels like In Wook is taking all his women.
In Wook feels like Jae Min is getting his women.
Young Joo feels like Soo Jung is taking all her men.
Soo Jung? She just has to choose bit she is having a hard time.

In a way quite brilliant but then again... boring. They are just running in a small circle. I'm sick of those scenes when Soo Jung happens to come out of her apartment and sees In Wook. Then it's always so awkward. It's awkward between Soo Jung and In Wook because they don't want to admit thier love. It's awkward between Soo Jung and Jae Min because Jae Min has such a big difficulty in expressing himself.

I wish they would have told about Jae Min's background more. How did he become like that? Yes, he is selfish, spoiled, rich brat but more than that he is just broken. He doesn't know what's happiness. He doesn't know how to live. What's right what's wrong? Sometimes I feel like he isn't capable of rational thinking at all and he is throwing tantrums every day. There were many scenes that mde me think if he has mental problems or not? Of course I am very sure that he has suffered of lack of love. Though his mom seems to love him the most... His grandpa of whom Jae Min seems to be really scared of seems to be a very strict man. But what did he do? why does Jae Min fear him so much that he even starts trembling? I am sure that Jae Min never has loved anyone and more important no one has ever loved him and so thats' why he is so lacking with his emotions. He just wants to be loved and can't live on anymore.

Kang In Wook needs love too. But you can see the difference between him and Jae Min. Obviously In Wook has grown up with lots of love and in more healthy environment. When he feels mad or lonely he starts working to forget his pain. That's what most normal people do anyways. In Wook is well composed person. He is intelligent and uses his brain often. He can hold his temper and he is capable of expressing his feelings. Still, isn't his life boring? He just works or hangs alone in his apartmen. Has no freinds, no hobbies. Such a sad person. Still he is way more compatible with So Jung than Jae Min. Because he can give her the love and support she needs. Jae Min again... he needs a strong woman beside him. Not like Young-joo but someone more innocent and happy. Someone who is able to shout at him and hit him when he acts wrongly. Someone who could give him happiness and lotsa love. Someone rather childish with a colorful personality.

Soo Jung is a weak woman. She is capable of strong acts only when she is mad. Yet in the end she cries and feels hurt. She can't choose between Jae Min and In Wook which I just don't understand. She truly loved In Wook and knew he cared about her but...?? I never felt any chemistry between Jae Min and Soo Jung?!?!?! Why did it all turn out to be so awkward?! Her mood swings were something. Whenever she was with Jae Min and heard about In Wook she suddenly became gloomy. It happened every time %##&% Why didn't she just go to him then?!! I just don't understand Soo Jung at all. She was miserable but at the same time hateful. Did she smile even once after she came back from Bali?

I don't get the screenwriter at all. Why did he make it so melodramatic?! This drama is so angsty that it's sick. If I were any of the cracaters I would go for the suicide. I understand that this drama wants to show unhappy things that happen in life but... what kind of life is that miserable?! It seems like after Soo Jung came back from Bali she haven't experienced anything happy, In Wook either. She constantly keeps saying how happy she was in Bali. Why not go back there?!

Young-joo. I like her pretty much. She is bad and desperate but well... At first she wanted to marry Jae Min because In Wook dumped her but then... did she really fall for the guy? I think she was just annoyed because she didn't receive enough attention. And in a way she wanted to be better than Soo Jung but kept losing to her. So she carried on with marriage only to show Soo Jung that no one can win her? Her character is perfect for a rich lady.

Now. I still have 4 more episodes to go and I'm curious how it all will end up. I alredy know but I want to see the scene.

belleza

Post by belleza » May 25th, '08, 07:04

In a way quite brilliant but then again... boring. They are just running in a small circle.
I feel that's one of the beauties of the story. The four are in a kind of purgatory, slowly suffering insane over their inertia. And the person who actually prevents the story from resolution isn't Soo Jung, but In Wook, because In Wook is the only person who will not abide by the rules of their mutual prison.
I wish they would have told about Jae Min's background more. How did he become like that? Yes, he is selfish, spoiled, rich brat but more than that he is just broken. He doesn't know what's happiness. He doesn't know how to live. What's right what's wrong? Sometimes I feel like he isn't capable of rational thinking at all and he is throwing tantrums every day.
I think with how the story is concieved, the actual background history of each character is not important (and that includes Soo Jung -- yes, she has a painful past but her childhood is a red herring into her character), so much as the four characters represent 4 different aspects of "the rules of engagement", or more generally their local society.

In that sense, Bali isn't meant to be a realistic story. It is as much a fairy tale as Thousand Years of Love, or Wish Upon A Star, two other pieces written by the same writer. Except that THIS one is a black, black comedy, where the Cinderella/Prince Charming narrative is inverted (so that Cinderella is the most selfish of the sisters, and Prince Charming is a monster) as to pull back the curtains and reveal the materialist machinery that powers these dramas.

Jae Min is a satirical character. More specifically, he is the proverbial Fool/Joker -- he has desires, he has emotions, he has thoughts, but all these parts merely illuminate vices and a caricature of his society; eveything he does is reactive and at the whim of his society. Maybe he loves Soo Jung, but he is concieved without a soul.

Originally, when they were concieving this character, they wanted to show a ironic morality tale where a "the rich spoiled prince" becomes half obsessed, half truly in love with the poor Cinderella character. He was meant to be much, much older (significantly older than his rival In Wook); this is especially notable because it would have been unlikely that an older Jae Min could have been characterized with the same adolescent pangs and thwarted confusion. It would have been colder, more self-aware of both his power and impotence toward his social status (and more difficult to actually root for Jae Min against In Wook.) We the viewers would be more biased against a more assured, more manipulative, older presence, instead of the very adolescent Jae Min that we were given.

Part of the brilliance of Jo In Sung's performance here is that he moves way, way past "selfish", "self-asborbed" qualifications for Jae Min, and instead gives us the Fool without pity. On one hand, yes, we feel bad for (or are impressed with) In Sung's depiction of Jae Min's tortured feelings. But its the sheer shrillness of his depiction, the unbored childlike and almost unnerved intensity of it, that reinvents the "bad prince" Jae Min as a total caricature. A sad clown, a absolutely absurd man wailing over not the depth of his love, but at his simple incomprehension of it, of everything. He doesn't get it, because everything in his psyche are things to be posessed, objects to be desired. Empathy and genuine compassion? Emotions other than desire, jealousy and revenge? That people are human beings before they are of class? He doesn't even understand what that means. And In Sung plays him like the impotent vampire that he is.

Another way to say it is that Jae Min does not have relationships with people, because everybody in his world are related to him are a title, social class, and above all an association with his money. And Jae Min doesn't really understand humanity without this; it is self-evident to him that, no matter how much he may love or covet Soo Jung, she is beneath him. Even if he threw away for her, still in his eyes, it is a means to "have her", and at best he would expect her to be servile to him. He is her master; she is the object of his affection; his tortured anxiety is his inability to substantiate this desire and does not really include a separate appraisal of her as a human being.

That may not sound like he loves her, but within the rules of this story, he does. It is just that, in most love stories, the male character becomes more than of himself. Here, he doesn't really achieve this. Whether he loves her, this is how he loves her -- a mistress, a poor girl, a sexual partner, a business partner, a unfortunate life, a thing to be pitied and to be desired. No matter how he feels, it is just impossible for him to escape his materialism (i.e. the world he lives.) And it is that inability, a very, very literal connection between human beings and material objects, that informs the story's satirical edge. Nobody in real life is this literal. And thank God, once a real emotion with real human depth came into their hearts, the lack of a real soul would drive them into insanity.

And it is impossible for Soo Jung to escape hers. Love is not acceptable in Jae Min's world; and love is not acceptable in Soo Jung's world.
In Wook is well composed person. He is intelligent and uses his brain often. He can hold his temper and he is capable of expressing his feelings. Still, isn't his life boring? He just works or hangs alone in his apartmen. Has no freinds, no hobbies. Such a sad person.
Within the designs of this story, everyone and everything and every feeling and every meaning are all expressed within the grammar of money. This includes In Wook's mom and Soo Jung's best friend. Every one, except In Wook.

So In Wook is not merely the principal love rival, but The Outsider character of this story. Because he has a genuine conscience, because his identity is not associated with his job (which he emphasizes to Soo Jung, that what he does at work is separate from his hatred toward Jae Min or what he really wants for his own future), he is also the anarchist in this story and the threat to everybody's "happiness."

His loneliness is reinforced with his relations to Young-joo. On one hand, he acknowledges that she loves him and he probably loved her too. However, he also understands that she can never see him as an equal partner, let alone a human being that cannot be bought like a pet. What he most begrudges isn't her breaking up with him, but her class patronization, because she (like every other character) cannot think outside of social status. Even when she leaves Jae Min, even when she many times over expressed her geniune love for him, he pushes her away because her thinking towards him is still part of the system that he hates. At the end of the day, he cannot be more than a pet to her, and they cannot transcend the relationship of generous patron and "cabin boy" no matter how she feels about him. She can't conceive anything but.

Given the above, given that even the people closest to him can only substantiate their feelings and relations through money, In Wook is also alone. He is the existentialist of the story, a man with a moral, rational conscience, and therefore dangerous to the status quo. He is actually the "bad guy" in the story. And his relationship with Soo Jung is his own struggle against what he already knows, that she too is part of Them. The only "right" choice to make was to accept Young-joo's preposition. He "belongs" with her, just as Soo Jung belongs with Jae Min.
She was miserable but at the same time hateful. Did she smile even once after she came back from Bali?
I think the underlying message in this story is that, in a world where even the most intimate, complex and sacred of human feelings are understood as money, there is no such thing as real happiness. The Cinderella story tells us the opposite: that if you met the Prince (i.e. rich) who loved you, you will have happiness and your life will be free. Here, to accept Jae Min would have been to accept -- at the very best -- a mistress relationship, perhaps hot on passion, but without future or social acceptance. He would buy her pretty things, and they would have sex in their secret little room. The room would be her prison, and she would have become a well-fed canary. Is that happiness for either Soo Jung or Jae Min?

And yet by the same foundation, she could not be happy with In Wook. In Wook wanted her to be an equal, wanted her to be responsible for her choices (i.e. why it's important not to get wrapped up by her backstory <-- In Wook's argument is that, regardless of what you came from, you are still responsible and you still have free will and conscience to make choices) In Wook wanted to have a normal, thoughtful, conventional relationship with Soo Jung, where they could share not things, but experiences and hopes and all that other normal stuff. Unfortunately, Soo Jung never wanted these things. When I saw that Soo Jung could not find happiness, I am also saying that she was almost incapable of happiness, because -- as much as In Wook knew so and hated to admit to himself-- she was the po' faceced other side of the Young-Joo and Jae Min coin.

If you watched So Ji Sup's performance from that standpoint, his reactions make absolute sense. He genuinely loved Soo Jung for who she is, but he also saw her for who she was, and she knew that, however her heart moved, she couldn't be happy with a relationship with him. He, for the most part, does not try to take her away from Jae Min, because from his (normal person) viewpoint, only she is responsible for her heart. Nobody else in this story (even Soo Jung) pretends to be responsible for their own actions. They want to substantiate all of their desires through others; In Wook plays along too, but only to the extent of his job. And at the end of the story, he realizes that this life really wasn't meant for him. No matter what his mother wanted, he is not his status, and he has accepted that. And he tried to accept that she could not be like him. She wanted money; she wanted social status; she wanted The Fairy Tale -- a Prince to come in her life and literally take her and become her master and her most prized object in his Kingdom. Even Soo Jung found this morally disgusting; to finally realize that she was this shallow, this easily satiated, ultimately this empty, that her heart was ultimately won over by money than basic decency . . .
I don't get the screenwriter at all. Why did he make it so melodramatic?! This drama is so angsty that it's sick. If I were any of the cracaters I would go for the suicide. I understand that this drama wants to show unhappy things that happen in life but... what kind of life is that miserable?! It seems like after Soo Jung came back from Bali she haven't experienced anything happy, In Wook either. She constantly keeps saying how happy she was in Bali. Why not go back there?!
And, see, she can never go really back. Even if she goes back, she -- in wanting to taste the fruit -- left Paradise forever. In Wook too.

What were the memories of Bali? Happiness.

Jackal21

Post by Jackal21 » Jan 18th, '10, 13:47

Finish watching :o)
Sad Ending. Yes of course, but is very profound and very right.
Afterall everyone of them realize:"That money is not pricely thing that they can earn in their life." But is the "Love", which all of them want it, but even with paying their life, they cant get it.
Ofcourse for someone the story not realitstic, fairy tale or parody etc. but the most important message is said in last the 3min in drama.

Dont be so cold, hiding your feeling to person who you loves(like Kang In-wook )
Dont be so pathetic and fool like Jung Jae-min.
Dont play with love like Choi Young-joo, is not child play.
But the worst of this behave is Lee Soo-jung, dont be like her. Dont know what you feeling, cant decide for anyone.
After all this warn from writers, honestly we are all like that. We are all fool like Adam n Eva, know that the apple is prohibited, but again n again want tasted it. That is love, a lot of time you get hurt, but try taste it again n again. With the same mistake like start.

Honestly i think Jae-min is, who hurts the most. When GF broken up wiht me, she said:"sorry, i know that you will hurt, because you are the 1, who loves more....".
I think is not like Jae-min cant or dont know how love someone or he is fool, claun etc.He trying love(find love) someone more than the other side. At first he try loves Choi Young-joo, but realize that she definetely his love. Then he fell in love with Soo-jung, and is the 1 in drama, who knows, what he wants.

Not like Kang In-wook, he is really scary man for me, using all people in this drama. Coldblood, hustle(thief money). At first using Young-joo for seeing her money, crashing with this plan. So he trying get better position in firm and end with stealing company´s money, using Soo-jung against Young-joo(jelouse) after that using Soo jung against Jae-min. Even he used Jae-min brother. People who is non-talktive, are almost clever, coldblood and very calculative. You can see that he knows about Jae-min divorces with wife, doing everything for Soo jung(too late, but Jae-min does it). In-wook doesnt let Soo jung know about it(is understandable), but he planned take her away from Jae-min. Like everything he planned from start. Is doesnt matterfor him, if she goes with him or not. He plans get out from Korea. That is really scary man.

Soo jung is very real char. Honestly we are all materialistic people, who not? Eat, sleep,.... - all this basic needs make us materialistic´s fool. I think for person, who dont have parents, losing everything...DIGNITY is the 1. they can lose. Dont think that is the last thing you cant lose. Go and sleep under brigde, try starve 10 days, we will see what we lose. Is sad, but is dignity, begging about works, then food, then where sleep etc. Is hopeless situation, so i understand why writers make Soo-jung character like that. After all she make it because her brother. She is not weak, like we think. But yes, still she is woman. And for man-watcher(me) she is hateful for not deciding for anyone. About her dignity, selling body for money etc. is all wrong, in drama she takes only 30mil. for paying debt, and she promise returning this in small piece. And all money she gets she returns them. I think episodes, when she shopping and eating and living in house from Jae.min is only warn for us. That she gots money from him, but afterall what she need is loves, freedom from him not this money. After all she dont want be pupet. So she return back, find new job, even making some money save etc. = i think she is very very strong person. Not much woman, who taste gold wants comeback to cooper. I understand why she go with In-wook. Because she is in desperate situation=Jae-min father wants (maybe) kill her, waiting Jae-min divorce? So she just wants escape from this dead end. Even in airport she hoped Jae-min coming for her.

Young-joo, parent etc. there is warn too. That dont like child in love, or even so stubborn. Warn for parent, who always knows best for their children. Yes they know everything best, but not thier child loves(even me dont know about it). If they doesnt make it hard, maybe Soo jung will end with Jae min. Even is Jae min father fault for losing his company money, he want(nonsensly) Jae min to be CEO. Then causing his brother makes plan with In Wook stealing company money, because everything will have Jae min not him.

Everything in this drama is underline, so is very hard for seeing all of them it. I think this is 1 of masterpieces from K-drama. I like this drama about realitionship and behavour in modern society. What is most important value. Yes, fairy tales are nice for dreaming, but ...
This "Must Watch" drama.
Someone said me when we was drunk:"Love is like tree, you must grown it step by step, then you can see their fruit, then you will know how love taste" " if tree dying there is no way too health it, cause tree dying from root, not from leaf" "So is better grown new tree, dont make old tree hurt any more is nonsense"
Like Jae-min and Soo jung their love grown step by step, but unfortunetely they realize it too late.
So i hope anyone dont missed it and let be gardener and grow seed of love :wub:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jan 18th, '10, 19:41

It was actually my second kdrama, watched mostly because of Jo In Sung. After it ended I sat with my eyes fixed in some point on the screen. I recommend it to everyone. One of the best, underrated dramas of few past years.

lily09

Post by lily09 » Aug 17th, '10, 19:41

i like this drama!! Two men are hot!!