Boys Before Flowers (KBS2) Korean version of "Meteor Ga

Discuss Korean drama series here.
childermass

Post by childermass » Mar 30th, '08, 22:48

Just what the world needs-- another set of F4, another version of Hana Yori Dango. Ain't that swell...

SSpiegel

Re: My DreamCast for Boys over Flowers....

Post by SSpiegel » Mar 30th, '08, 23:34

Bri wrote: + Jang Dong Geun as Soujiro
Pretty... :heart:

I tried to google him, but I couldn't find him. Who is he, where can I see him? :wub:

najimta

Post by najimta » Apr 1st, '08, 01:52

macross wrote:They should cast Yoon Eun Hye as makino, and the prince from goong as domyoji, and the other prince yul guy as rui. That would make it really good! They could fight over her all over again!
you are frikin` amazing! haha because this idea is great :cheers:

macross

Post by macross » Apr 1st, '08, 22:01

najimta wrote:
macross wrote:They should cast Yoon Eun Hye as makino, and the prince from goong as domyoji, and the other prince yul guy as rui. That would make it really good! They could fight over her all over again!
you are frikin` amazing! haha because this idea is great :cheers:
wouldnt that rock though? It could be a goong 2 and hyd hybrid all in one best drama ever! could even cast the princes ex as her competition again too.

co0o0ol

Post by co0o0ol » Apr 2nd, '08, 07:03

i would like to see Rain as donyoji
and Huyn bin as Rui

wooooooow i'm so excited to see Hana Yori Dango Korean version i think it will be the best

yunizuka

Post by yunizuka » Apr 3rd, '08, 01:21

Bri wrote:Image

+ Han Hyo Joo as Makino
+ Jang Geun Suk as DoumYouji
+ Kim Jae Wook as Rui
+ Jang Dong Geun as Soujiro
+ Im Joo Hwan as Akira

...if only this were true, sigh.

images made by me.

Woww I love what you have made!
Jang Geun Suk would be PERFECT for the role!
He's handsome, talented and with hong gil dong, his popularity is really rising
go Jang Geun Suk :D

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Apr 9th, '08, 22:21

I ahve to agree that Bri's choises are very good. Most of the cast she picked, I haven't seen them much and they all look pretty good too.

Still I would love to see Lee Jun Ki as Rui. I just can't get over this thought. Lee Jun Ki was made to be Rui!! Lately I haave been thinking that Hyun Bin as Tsukasa and Lee Jun Ki as Rui it would be good. If that dream of mine comes true I will be happy forever. DAMN! I will even buy the DVD box!

But anyhow, does anyone know if the cast has been picked alredy or when will it be picked. I can't stand this excitement anymore.

Bri

Post by Bri » Apr 13th, '08, 23:33

SSpiegel wrote:

I tried to google him, but I couldn't find him. Who is he, where can I see him? :wub:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Jang_Dong_Gun

he's well known.. pretty old though...i kind of put him there for more of the particular image he was rocking...i couldn't decide who would be a good soujiro..but everyone else i think would be perfect.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Apr 14th, '08, 04:56

Bri wrote:
SSpiegel wrote:

he's well known.. pretty old though...i kind of put him there for more of the particular image he was rocking...i couldn't decide who would be a good soujiro..but everyone else i think would be perfect.
And he's supposed to be the same guy? :D When I serched around, I found that wikipage, but he looked so different, I was sure it was supposed to be someone... more unknown with a similar name. lol. (the image rocks though)

zi91

Post by zi91 » Apr 20th, '08, 15:47

hahaha

heys guys
those who wanted yoon eun hye to be makino, joo ji hoon to be domyoji, and kim jeong hoon to be rui,
i just realised one similar thing also --- shin chye gyung has a family that's alike with makino's family! lol you guys see, makino also has a brother and a pair of funny parents

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Apr 21st, '08, 08:33

yunizuka wrote:

+ Han Hyo Joo as Makino
+ Kim Jae Wook as Rui
+ Im Joo Hwan as Akira

images made by me.

Woww I love what you have made!
Jang Geun Suk would be PERFECT for the role!
He's handsome, talented and with hong gil dong, his popularity is really rising
go Jang Geun Suk :D
err, there's suppose to be one girl and 4 guys, but that looks like, umm, 2.5 girls and maybe 2.5 guys...... but I guess lots of girls will be happy about that.

bjharm

Post by bjharm » Apr 21st, '08, 08:42

Group Eight? making it then forget yoon eun hye , they still suing each other.
Think she want to try more movies anyway.
Just give it to Jang Nara, while she still in korea..:-)

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Apr 24th, '08, 13:09

Bri wrote:

I finally found the guy that's really in those pictures (I wasn't looking purposefully, I just bumped into him :-) ). I knew that it couldn't be that old man! :P

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kang_Dong_Won
Here's some pictures, even the ones you used: http://gallery.asianfanatics.net/index. ... s&aid=2089

I think he has a fitting cold look, perfect for Soujiro. :heart:

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Apr 24th, '08, 21:13

woot. KDW is born in year 1981 ! I thought he was older. Hee hee, his name brings back memories he was one of my first K-actor favorites^^ Pretty good pictures :wub: And he hasn't been in any dramas lately. I wonder what he's been doing? Well anywyas, would be nice to see him in some new drama (because last time I saw him in One Percent of Anything and it SUCKED!)

I hope they will make some changes to the story. To tell the truth I'm kind of getting bored with it. I have read the manga 2 times, seen Jversion and now watching Meteor Garden. Then there is the anime too...

So anyone knows any new news? Like about the cast and about the filming?

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Apr 25th, '08, 15:21

Honestly at this point. I don't care about the casting. I just hope the people are good. I lean more twoards K-drama anyways ( as much as I loved HYD 1+2 mao/matsujun ) so I'm looking forward to it either way.

Plus the movie is coming out soon , a year to hyd by. I cannot wait.

meli_chan

Post by meli_chan » Apr 26th, '08, 22:37

Archaenon wrote:Honestly at this point. I don't care about the casting. I just hope the people are good. I lean more twoards K-drama anyways ( as much as I loved HYD 1+2 mao/matsujun ) so I'm looking forward to it either way.

Plus the movie is coming out soon , a year to hyd by. I cannot wait.

ANY NEWS ABOUT THIS?? WILL IT BE REAL????

XiaoPauli
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by XiaoPauli » Apr 26th, '08, 23:04

Meh. We know how it ends. :D

4everU

Post by 4everU » May 15th, '08, 05:06

SunStar wrote:oohhh...so many great actors/actresses to chose from....

here's my choices:

i would die to watch a drama with these 3 in there...
Hey...i like your pick....

I would also choose Lee jun ki as Domyouji: he can looks stubborn and very serious and rich.... and for makino i also like your choice and alsofor Hanazawa ...my second choices for makino would b ethe young girl in Golden Bride and the guy in Dal Ja spring...
Attachments
leejunki04.jpg
leejunki04.jpg (93.98 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
junki 1.jpg
junki 1.jpg (156.09 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
LeeYoungAh.jpg
LeeYoungAh.jpg (19.2 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
leeminki.jpg
leeminki.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 4804 times

Rori

Post by Rori » May 15th, '08, 05:22

Only ever watched two Kdramas in my life but this is definitely going on my watch list! Don't know any of the actresses/actors you guys are posting up mind you except Jun-ki (My Girl <3333)

toprick

Post by toprick » May 15th, '08, 07:25

i am very excited for this drama most of my friends prefer yoon eun hye as makino and hyun bin as domyouji really excited :D

yo-chan

Post by yo-chan » May 15th, '08, 12:41

Junki might be a Rui but NO way he is a Doumyouji. far to feminine for the character of Tsukasa XD!

Sak

Post by Sak » May 15th, '08, 17:58

yo-chan wrote:Junki might be a Rui but NO way he is a Doumyouji. far to feminine for the character of Tsukasa XD!
I agree with that :lol ... feminine or not, still I think he's lovely :wub:

Shae0001

Post by Shae0001 » May 15th, '08, 18:44

Man, all the options are hard to choose from. To bad age is an issue. Since age is an issue to, that makes the decision even tougher. But the one person I really think should be Doumyouji is Lee Min Ki, he would do an awsome job. He just has that haughtiness, that would work. As for the rest of F4 and Makino, I have no idea who would be perfect for there roles. The image if HanDan is already burned with an everlasting impression into my brain. Hopefully the netizens of South Korea make a good decision, all we can do is wait and see.... Unfortunately.....

maakopla

Post by maakopla » May 15th, '08, 22:41

I'm rooting for Lee Jun Ki to be Rui as well. But now that I think about it he could pull off Tsukasa's role quite well too. Even though he is pretty feminine and cute, he showed in Time of Dog and Wolf drama that he can act as a bad guy too. He is just too short and doesn't have the body for Tsukasa. But then again... Jum Matsumoto didn't have it either and he was good.

I agree about Lee Min Ki being Tsukasa. That guy suits Tsukasa's role quite well :D But after Jerry Yan I feel like Lee Min Ki is too short. Anyone is too short. Jerry Yan just has the perfect Tsukasa body xD

If Lee Da Hae get's Makino's role I'm outta here. I just don't like her at all. I really don't have anyone to suggest in that role.. Maybe Jang Na Ra but she would be too similar to Barbie Xu (except better actress)

4everU

Post by 4everU » May 16th, '08, 04:31

Sak wrote:
yo-chan wrote:Junki might be a Rui but NO way he is a Doumyouji. far to feminine for the character of Tsukasa XD!
I agree with that :lol ... feminine or not, still I think he's lovely :wub:
LOL...i agree however. :lol this is the korean version..they can do wut ever theylike and put in their own little TWIST l..yaahh BABY! LETS have a pretty Domyouji...hehehehe :cheers: :D

xvannie

Post by xvannie » May 16th, '08, 04:48

man, i am totally for lee minki being Doumyouji!
no doubt hes up to that role [:

other than that, i hope this is a good drama, whens it come out anyways? [x

i hope the girl is a good actress o_o

JlovesVan

nice!

Post by JlovesVan » May 18th, '08, 02:31

Perfect choices Guccijana, I could not have picked a better cast myself!

SilverLight

Post by SilverLight » May 18th, '08, 22:15

Omgosh we need updates for this!

Lee Min Ki as Tsukasa... that could totally work *drool*
xD
I'm still rooting for Im Ju Hwan to be in this drama. that boy NEEDS more attention :wub:

popo_chan_xo

suprise

Post by popo_chan_xo » May 20th, '08, 06:04

It'd be so cool if they decided to film the first 1 episode without showing the faces of F4,
then for the next two episodes, each face would be unveiled slowly... lol
SUSPENSE!!
It would probably make a bigger impact- ish.
Instead of showing their face, show their bodies (Six pack whoooo!) and then when they almost reach the face, draw back or something.
They wouldn't need to show the faces if they make it so that makino didn't know who she going against for the first ep. because all of F4 were well-known and feared but she was the new girl so she didn't know their faces.

Like having a surprise cast. No one knows until the air date.

bent

Post by bent » May 25th, '08, 14:45

anymore latest official news?

kim jeong hoon needs to be in for hanazawa!

only he not tall enuf?

xiah1fan

Post by xiah1fan » Jun 9th, '08, 13:03

Hey...guys...i got a question!!...Have they set the lead actors and actress??....I reallly have 2 know!!

+ Han Hyo Joo as Makino
+ Kim Jae Wook as Rui
+ Im Joo Hwan as Akira

images made by me.
OMMMMMMMGGGG:......ur drivin me crazzzyyy....Aiiggooo...Omg...HOPE it will become like this!!!! ahhhhh....Then am sure that this ver. would be the best....aahh

Naaahhh....Junki is no good 4 this role.....
But havin jo hi hoon as rui...is a dreaamm comin true...ahhhh..his soo coold...aiiiigoo...love this theard...I call it Paradise

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » Jun 10th, '08, 11:16

LOL, so everyone has their own lists...

here's my suggestion:

for Makino, i like Jang Nara

For Hanazawa, either Hyun BIn or Jae Joong

bent

Post by bent » Jun 19th, '08, 14:30

when will more info me out?

argh

this is driving me nuts

daisyamapi

Post by daisyamapi » Jun 19th, '08, 16:32

wow great cast..

i wanna watch..
when it will begin release in korea

mrsmilevskyi2001

Post by mrsmilevskyi2001 » Jun 21st, '08, 09:10

SS501 Kim Hyun Joong selected to play Rui
June 21, 2008

SS501 member Kim Hyun Joong was casted as the F4 member Hanazawa Rui in the Korean version of Hana Yori Dango, which is scheduled to be broadcast via KBS 2TV in the first half of 2009. The Korean name for Rui has not been set yet.

This will be the third time the Japanese manga will be turned into a drama series. The first one was a Taiwanese version, which was aired in 2001, and the other was a Japanese one, which was broadcast in 2005.

According to an official from Group Eight, the production house in-charge of the drama, Kim Hyun Joong was selected to play Rui because he was deemed suited for the character. The decision was based from his performance in the MBC program “We’re Married,” where Kim Hyun Joong is being coupled with singer Hwangbo.

Meanwhile, at the moment, the 3 actors who will play the other members of F4 are yet to be finalized.

Source: Stoo + krnloop

OK on the side notes they said that all F4 members casted are all k-idols which is :cheers: and netizens speculated that TOP has been cast as domyoji. no words on who's playing tsukushi though
and

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Jun 21st, '08, 09:36

I don't guess or wish the cast 'cause I love surprises, HAHAHA.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jun 21st, '08, 14:38

All k-idols?? Oh man, there goes my expectations...

Wonder Girl's So Hee will be playing Makino. Just watch.

tazanya

Post by tazanya » Jun 25th, '08, 02:40

This may have already been squashed but please please tell me that the rumor that Yoon Eun Hye is in talks to be Makino...just that rumors.

Because I just checked the wikki.theppn site and it has her as casted in the show (although it notes that its not confirmed.) I want all new faces (or at least relatively new faces).

Also as much as I love and adore TOP, he is out of the question as domouji (sp).

I can't wait til the cast is confirmed. This is so exciting.

kgobea

Post by kgobea » Jun 25th, '08, 02:59

omg i can't wait!!! i love all versions ^_^ im a world-wide supporter; each countries version has their own appeal. well...I'll be waiting

Foxyaria

Post by Foxyaria » Aug 4th, '08, 13:22

I can see that guy playing Rui but what's his acting like?

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 4th, '08, 21:11

This is good timing. New updates from Dramabeans.
Much-anticipated drama adaptation Boys Before Flowers, aka the Korean Hana Yori Dango, is taking a little longer than anticipated to complete its casting.

. . .

A representative of production company Group 8 said in an interview on the 4th that casting will be finished by the end of the month

. . .

Furthermore, rumors in June that boy-band SS501 leader Kim Hyun-joong was cast as one of the four leads were said to be “groundless reports.”
http://www.dramabeans.com/2008/08/takin ... o-cast-f4/

Amber111

Post by Amber111 » Aug 5th, '08, 00:42

I think either Lee Jun Ki or Choi Shiwon would make a perfect Domyoji. They both have got this rich, mean, 'I'm better than you' kind of look, but then they can both act very cute, and adorable at the same time. But I would choose Lee Jun Ki over Choi Shiwon since I think it really should come down to acting skills as well. These are my choices :D

Image < Lee Jun Ki Image < Choi Shiwon

hateytb

Post by hateytb » Aug 5th, '08, 01:24

waa!! i'm getting sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited for this drama.....!!

but 2009 is so faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr away!!!

Korean version of Rui is hot!

belleza

Post by belleza » Aug 5th, '08, 23:25

Korean version of Rui is hot
Ahhh, but it looks like they're backtracking on that casting choice. My hunch is that they really intended to cast him (and if they were going to do a proper idol drama, the leader of SS501 is as good as any), and they planted the story to get a feel for how the Netizens (who will be the main audience for HanaDan) feel about using boy band idols or ullzangs. All of the polls suggest they don't want that. Thus, the delay with casting.

I think this goes back to HanaDan having been a gateway drama for singer/idols to broaden their international base. It would make sense to cast members of SuJu or DBSK, who already are popular in various Asian countries. And, if they were all under SM Entertainment (like the above two bands), you could spin-off a F4 supergroup like the original F4. Also, SM Entertainment could also bring out another member of SNSD to play Makino or -- if the planets align in some magical way -- to get BoA (who given her veteran status would still be close to the age of YEH when she did Goong) to play Makino. Voila, you got the Japanese market, and a way to have BoA reconnect with her Korean audience.

So from a marketing standpoint, they probably want to go the idol route, however the netizens seem to be fighting that. Goong S showed that netizen backlash could sink a show and even harm the non-acting career if the performances aren't good, or if they don't fit the image of the various roles.

What I like about the marketing for Beethoven Virus is that they've managed to initially perk up interest due to the Nodame Cantabile association. Then, they've done successful job estabishing its identity as a unique show. This show can't do that; they've already branded it as "KanaDan." If they don't make it a true idol show, then it may not be as "big" as the other two shows (and why do a true remake if you have no intention of it competing with the other two brand.) If they make it an idol show and the acting sucks, well then you got a disaster.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Aug 6th, '08, 02:25

lol Yeah, they are marketing it as "the completion of the trilogy."

candy_hearts

Post by candy_hearts » Aug 10th, '08, 21:39

i have to agree with what is being said regarding boyband idols. So does that mean they will not be using the leader of SS501 as Rui? i see that putting idols in the drama could be a problem if they have not had much acting backround. Both from the tiwanese and the japanese versions though some of the characters were already singers before the shows and some were made after. So i agree that if they are going to use boy band idols they should at least be widely known for the sake of marketing and have acting or showbiz backround to be able to make this stand with the others in the show proudly! :D

junebug6272

Korean F4 chosen!!

Post by junebug6272 » Oct 2nd, '08, 14:06

mandychan

Post by mandychan » Nov 2nd, '08, 22:37

WOW another one I am looking forward to seeing what the Korea version is like. :blink :cheers:

azntina

Post by azntina » Nov 3rd, '08, 01:12

This is gonna be interesting! I love the Japanese and Taiwanese versions, wonder how the Korean version gonna be like.

xxemz19xx

Post by xxemz19xx » Nov 5th, '08, 00:37

I'm really looking forward to this!!!
The casting didn't disapoint me Lee Min-ho and Kim Bum in a drama :wub: :wub: :wub:
I just hope it's as good as the Japanese version :mrgreen:

Yessy89

Post by Yessy89 » Nov 5th, '08, 00:51

I liked the JP version better tha the TW but the TWwas good too! :D I hope that the korean doesn't ruin the JP AND TW versions! I'm patitently waiting to watch..I wonder who is going to sub this? Does anyone know?

rhianne

Post by rhianne » Nov 5th, '08, 01:02

.,`i like kim ki bum too..

i like japanese version too

xxemz19xx

Post by xxemz19xx » Nov 5th, '08, 02:12

Yessy89 wrote:I wonder who is going to sub this? Does anyone know?
I think WithS2 have annouced that they are going to sub this one....

rhianne

Post by rhianne » Nov 5th, '08, 13:28

yes. i agree. i hope they will not ruin jp and tw version coz philippines ruin my girl's korean.

cloudNINE.

Post by cloudNINE. » Nov 25th, '08, 03:41

xxemz19xx wrote:
Yessy89 wrote:I wonder who is going to sub this? Does anyone know?
I think WithS2 have annouced that they are going to sub this one....
They've listed it as a future/possible project on their wiki. Click Here.

I'm really excited about this, but at the same time I'm holding my breath. We all know that remakes are compared to the previous versions and it's going to be a tall order for KBS to improve on the success of the Japanese version.

The only thing I hope for is that in the Korean version Domyoji is not as stupid as he is in the Japanese version lol. I couldn't get over how he'd just say the dumbest things out of the blue. :lol :lol

I'll definitely be watching this one as WITHS2 releases their subs.

br4nd0n

Post by br4nd0n » Nov 25th, '08, 04:07

So no one knows who will be Tsukushi.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Nov 25th, '08, 04:34

cloudNINE. wrote:The only thing I hope for is that in the Korean version Domyoji is not as stupid as he is in the Japanese version lol. I couldn't get over how he'd just say the dumbest things out of the blue. :lol :lol
That was not their "interpretation" of Domyoji. That WAS Domyoji.
He was a complete idiot in the TW version and the anime and manga too. That's how he is supposed to be. It's the whole point of his character. He has tacky hair and says and does the most moronic things, and yet she loves him. Personally, I always thought that Domyoji being stupid was the point of the story. It wouldn't have worked if he was smart. You love people for their flaws not in spite of them.

I mean, there is no reason for Makino to love Domyoji. He's an ass, arrogant and cruel. His knowledge is shaped around only what he needs to know but he's so powerful that he can say something stupid or wrong and no one will correct him and instead agree with him. (with the exception of the rest of F4 that is.) However, when he says something stupid the rest of his flaws become visible and you come to realize he's just a sad and lonely little boy putting on a show. This is why she hates him at first and slowly starts to fall for him as she starts to realize he's only a monster on the outside to hide the fact that he's really just scared, confused, and doesn't know a single thing about anything. That's what she actually likes about him, the innocents hidden inside him.

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 25th, '08, 04:53

Who's up for a Chinese HanaDan? Wait -- you say -- they're making Meteor Garden 3? But, no, this is an all-new Mainlander ManoMeteor Garden. Ooooh burn Taiwan!! :D

http://www.seoulbeats.com/2008/11/not-a ... ori-dango/
I mean, there is no reason for Makino to love Domyoji. He's an ass, arrogant and cruel.
He's the most lovable psychopath in the whole world. :D Doumyouji, BTW, was twice as dumb and twice as MACHO in the Meteor Garden version. Jerry Yan is love. :D

From the press done so far, you can definitely tell that the F4 + GHS are feeling the pressure. I mean, you're talking about fangirl and anti-armies from three different countries looking at this show with anticipation!

Korean HanaDan promo:

Hyun Joong filming as Rui:

Rui + Shizuka:

Fanmade PV with lots of pictures:

cloudNINE.

Post by cloudNINE. » Nov 25th, '08, 12:40

Puppet Princess wrote:
cloudNINE. wrote:The only thing I hope for is that in the Korean version Domyoji is not as stupid as he is in the Japanese version lol. I couldn't get over how he'd just say the dumbest things out of the blue. :lol :lol
That was not their "interpretation" of Domyoji. That WAS Domyoji.
He was a complete idiot in the TW version and the anime and manga too. That's how he is supposed to be. It's the whole point of his character. He has tacky hair and says and does the most moronic things, and yet she loves him. Personally, I always thought that Domyoji being stupid was the point of the story. It wouldn't have worked if he was smart. You love people for their flaws not in spite of them.

I mean, there is no reason for Makino to love Domyoji. He's an ass, arrogant and cruel. His knowledge is shaped around only what he needs to know but he's so powerful that he can say something stupid or wrong and no one will correct him and instead agree with him. (with the exception of the rest of F4 that is.) However, when he says something stupid the rest of his flaws become visible and you come to realize he's just a sad and lonely little boy putting on a show. This is why she hates him at first and slowly starts to fall for him as she starts to realize he's only a monster on the outside to hide the fact that he's really just scared, confused, and doesn't know a single thing about anything. That's what she actually likes about him, the innocents hidden inside him.
belleza wrote: He's the most lovable psychopath in the whole world. :D Doumyouji, BTW, was twice as dumb and twice as MACHO in the Meteor Garden version. Jerry Yan is love. :D
Really lol? :lol :lol

I never saw the TW version or read the manga , so I just assumed that was their interpretation of the character. I've never really seen a K-Drama where the lead guy was a complete moron (I'm sure there's one out there somewhere though...). I just figured they may be going the sullen and angry route versus stupid and angry with their version of Domyoji. But since that really is the whole point of his character then, by all means they should keep him that way.

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 25th, '08, 13:13

But since that really is the whole point of his character then, by all means they should keep him that way.
When they did the first poll for Korean HanaDan, Jo In Sung placed first for Doumyouji. The reason for that was because Jo In Sung is often associated with playing spoiled buffoons. In a sense, his character in What Happened in Bali is perhaps the closest thing to I've seen to what *I* would consider Doumyouji. His obsessive, oppressive love. His supposed idiocy, which in fact is really an indiffference, which hides his insight into other people. His callousness and cruelty. And so on. When I first read HanaDan (before MG or HYD), I always thought "hmm, this ought to be a K-drama." So there you go! :D

Having said that, the fun with all these HanaDan adaptations is in seeing how they adapt Doumyouji and tweak Makino/Doumyouji. Meteor Garden works partially because they moved the story to college, and so Doumyouji was the King Brat/Jock of Campus, and sensible Makino pretty much knew the bully was kind of an idiot. HanaDan Season One works because it depicted high school as a grotesquerie (i.e. Harry Potter in Hell :D ) and Doumyouji as a kind of Byronic anti-hero, a melancholy, savage man-child who discovers his humanity through the only girl who would tell him he was wrong.

The Japanese HanaDan took different parts of the manga, combined them, and often reinterpreted the context in order to form together, more or less, a coming-of-age story between Doumyouji and Makino. The Korean HanaDan doesn't really have to go that route. First, Korean trendy romances aren't usually built on a coming-of-age narrative; at the end of the road, there doesn't need to be a great change where Doumyouji becomes a "Better Man" or where Makino finds her place in high school and society. The plot can simply be, boy hates girl, boy loves girl, and boy wins girl. The details are all in the chemistry and the bits of romance and one-up-man-ship, which wasn't fully portrayed in the Japanese version. Same story, different focus, unique drama.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Nov 25th, '08, 19:24

belleza wrote:When they did the first poll for Korean HanaDan, Jo In Sung placed first for Doumyouji. The reason for that was because Jo In Sung is often associated with playing spoiled buffoons. In a sense, his character in What Happened in Bali is perhaps the closest thing to I've seen to what *I* would consider Doumyouji. His obsessive, oppressive love. His supposed idiocy, which in fact is really an indiffference, which hides his insight into other people. His callousness and cruelty. And so on. When I first read HanaDan (before MG or HYD), I always thought "hmm, this ought to be a K-drama." So there you go! :D
rofl.... Oh my god. That's so true. It's been years since I last saw What Happened in Bali, but now that you mention it, YES. You can actually sort of look at that show as a fun house mirror version of Hana Yori Dango. The only difference is it just has Domyoji, Rui, and Makino... and uh... the whole, he never actually redeems himself in any way thing. There was the struggle between the quiet tortured man and the one who claimed ownership over her. He was a spoiled child who would break his toys when he was angry but expected fear and power to be an aphrodisiac. The one major difference was he got crazier as things progressed rather than more human like in Hana Yori Dango. But then, that's why it's the fun house version.

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 25th, '08, 20:01

QUOTE]The one major difference was he got crazier as things progressed rather than more human like in Hana Yori Dango. [/QUOTE]

That a lot to do with Makino reciprocating his desires, though. What Doumyouji initially feels for Makino is deeply sexual. He doesn't respect her; he doesn't really like her; and yet he must have her. He must HAVE her! It, especially the jealousy, feels vaguely threatening to him and so he acts in kind.

When he truly falls in love with Makino, he is still unable to empathize with her. He even says so out loud; he doesn't understand her; he can't put himself in her shoes. And so he doesn't understand how, however his intentions and feelings, he is part of her problem even if he tries to protect her. Eventually, he comes to understand Makino's heart and at that point he loves her for who she is, not for what he wants. At the same time, the madness of his love is abated by ardent concern and tenderness. This was also when the Saturn necklace becomes a recurring motif in the manga.

So, you have basically three stages of Doumyouji. The J-drama version of HanaDan took 2 seasons to do all three. If this show really goes 24 episodes, the drama can do all 3 stages in this run.

What Happened to Bali is essentially HanaDan with the first 2 stages of Doumyouji. It's Makino satiating the "itch" and unable to accept Doumyouji's heart, and how that brings him down into hell.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Nov 25th, '08, 20:47

belleza wrote:Who's up for a Chinese HanaDan? Wait -- you say -- they're making Meteor Garden 3? But, no, this is an all-new Mainlander ManoMeteor Garden. Ooooh burn Taiwan!! :D

http://www.seoulbeats.com/2008/11/not-a ... ori-dango/
Haha, so weird! But while it sounds ridiculous, I still kind of got interested. Especially if there's Hankyung, who's my favorite Super Junior. Ariel Lin.. I'm not in love with the idea, but if they really make this drama, I'd at least try it.

Talking about Domyoji's stupidity, I realized, just like cloudNINE., I've never seen guys like that in Korean dramas. Men are usually always rich, smart, really good at everything and they fight like pros, too. If they go about this like in the original, I think this is going to be a refreshing portrayal of man for a change.
According to the pictures I've seen, at least Lee Min Ho looks as horrid with that curly hair as the two earlier Domyojis! :lol

belleza

Post by belleza » Nov 26th, '08, 07:11

Especially if there's Hankyung, who's my favorite Super Junior. Ariel Lin.. I'm not in love with the idea, but if they really make this drama, I'd at least try it.
I don't like the idea of casting Ariel.. If you're casting a Taiwanese actress in the Makino role, then you really are just remaking Meteor Garden. What would be the point in that?
According to the pictures I've seen, at least Lee Min Ho looks as horrid with that curly hair as the two earlier Domyojis!
I actually like his curls. Besides a lot of boy idols (hello Rain!) are turning ajumma nowadays!! :D

Corona

Post by Corona » Dec 7th, '08, 01:50

I've always felt like HYD is a kind of timeless story, like Cinderella or a more similar character chemistry (should I compare..gasp!) Pride and Prejudice. What I mean to say is that it's a story that I don't mind seeing done again and again. :)

belleza

Post by belleza » Dec 17th, '08, 08:58

The first official Korean Boys over Flowers trailer . . .

belleza

Post by belleza » Dec 23rd, '08, 11:06

7 minutes of footage from the Korean HanaDan.

This looks like the most expensive trendy in the history of Asian drama. With all the location shots and the ultrarich mansion sets, it's almost like a vacation in the Hamptons pending a trip to Dubai. Wow. Also, in this promo format, it's kinda distracting too, almost like you are watching a travel show rather than an actual drama.

Clips themselves seem pretty close to the manga, much more literal than the J-drama version.

Rui is channeling Winter Sonata-era Bae Yong Joon. That seems intentional too.

Still not feeling Goo Hye Sun in this role (good actress, but still looks like their noona), but it looks like she's reaching back to her Nonstop 5 days.

lmaonade

Post by lmaonade » Dec 25th, '08, 06:33

wooooooooooooooo
i'm getting super excited for this
only liek 11 more days till this comes out
there better be a 720p release of this

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Dec 27th, '08, 16:18

i'm getting very excited! >_< this will revive me back to watching Kdramas. :mrgreen:

jaejin

Post by jaejin » Jan 5th, '09, 16:33

I actually liked the first cast more with Lee Min Ki and Hyunbin :wub:

So today is the day, let's see how not good it is :whistling:

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Jan 5th, '09, 23:24

I've loved the past two KBS Mon-Tues dramas, HYD or MG never interested me but I'll see how this is.

edit: I'll upload 720p if alot of people want them. I don't have a fantastic speed on BT or clubbox but I'll do it.

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » Jan 6th, '09, 00:01

Zealousy wrote:I've loved the past two KBS Mon-Tues dramas, HYD or MG never interested me but I'll see how this is.

edit: I'll upload 720p if alot of people want them. I don't have a fantastic speed on BT or clubbox but I'll do it.
I'll help seeding, I don't have fantastic speed like you but I figure 2 seeders will be better than 1 :-)

lmaonade

Post by lmaonade » Jan 6th, '09, 00:02

Zealousy
i can help out too
i dk what speeds you have but i can seed around 110-130 kb/s
if that helps

azntina

Post by azntina » Jan 6th, '09, 00:55

I cannot wait to watch the korean Boys Over Flowers! I love all the versions, what a beautiful love story. How do you seed? Do you just keep BitTornado or BitTorrent open so others can download from your computer? I'll help too!

lmaonade

Post by lmaonade » Jan 6th, '09, 01:46

azntina wrote:I cannot wait to watch the korean Boys Over Flowers! I love all the versions, what a beautiful love story. How do you seed? Do you just keep BitTornado or BitTorrent open so others can download from your computer? I'll help too!
yeah you just leave it open
usually ur client will say download speed and uploading speed
uploading speed is how fast ur giving to other people