Most Overrated K-Dramas

Discuss Korean drama series here.
*member*

Most Overrated K-Dramas

Post by *member* » Apr 4th, '08, 18:33

My picks are:

1. the snow queen. it was a drag for me i wanted to watch this cause hyun bin was awesome in MNIKSS but it was a disappointment.
2. witch yoo hee. i am just going to say that i couldnt even finish this one
3. im going to get it but full house. i just think the goofy parts clouded the story or maybe the story wasnt that strong to hold the drama.

kumichanx

Post by kumichanx » Apr 4th, '08, 19:09

As for me:

1. Goong: I enjoyed the first half of it, but it dragged and dragged to the point where I no longer see the reason of having 24 episodes. It was one of the kdramas I liked when I first watched it, but became too boring the second time around.
2. Full House: I would have to agree with you on this one. The comedic parts were too repetitive; overrated, but I had a good laugh.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Apr 6th, '08, 02:09

well...

" Legend..."

Peggy

beertax

Post by beertax » Apr 6th, '08, 04:34

the single biggest overrated kdrama will have to be winter sonata. It was such a smash hit when it aired, esp. in Korea and Japan. But if you look at the story it is pretty much crap.

hateytb

Post by hateytb » Apr 6th, '08, 05:20

beertax wrote:the single biggest overrated kdrama will have to be winter sonata. It was such a smash hit when it aired, esp. in Korea and Japan. But if you look at the story it is pretty much crap.
but i think the whole point was classic, which made it special..and i remember the ending was very heart warming and beautiful..
but i agree with you, the story wasnt very suprising..

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Apr 6th, '08, 05:54

beertax wrote:the single biggest overrated kdrama will have to be winter sonata. It was such a smash hit when it aired, esp. in Korea and Japan. But if you look at the story it is pretty much crap.
It was my first Kr drama and I LOVED it. In fact, I still love it and have watched it countless times. The story had many twists and turns and I finished it without sleeping (2 days one night?) in 2004. I guess the beautiful OST, great acting from lead and supporting actors and awesome cinematography all helped to make WS a riveting drama for me. If I had been a veteran Kr drama addict before watching Winter Sonata, the story might not have been as novel. But this drama will remain one of my evergreens - together with Damo, Kim Sam Soon, Prince turned to Frog (TW), Love at the Dolphin Bay (TW), Meteor Garden (TW) and Long Vacation (Jp).

xvannie

Post by xvannie » Apr 6th, '08, 06:14

definitely agree with goong.
not necessary to have 24 epis.
to me, it wasnt the best D:

vrosemarie

Post by vrosemarie » Apr 6th, '08, 06:56

Winter Sonata was great in its time... But now that years have passed and people are still mooning away because of Winter Sonata, I feel that it was slightly overrated. But it was a beautiful, if rather slow paced, drama. I think Goong and My Girl are both overrated. *runs away*

This is just a personal opinion but Goong would have been nothing without the glamorous and artistic backdrops and beautiful soundtrack. The actors were too new at this and the storyline started to get blah when they extended the episodes. I would gratefully admit now that Yoon Eun Hye is a talented young lady but I wouldn't have done so then.

My Girl was a hype that I really didn't get. As wackily charming the show was, I hated how Lee Da Hae dressed, it took a few episodes for me to get used to Lee Dong Wook's looks (he looked really weird to me at first) and the show didn't have enough sweet moments to actually endear me to the show. The comedy was slapstick at best and the ending was a bit rushed.

I actually like both these dramas but I didn't think they were wonderful. There are plenty of other good kdramas but they never receive the recognition they deserve.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Apr 6th, '08, 14:19

You're gonna make many enemies saying that about Winter Sonata, beertax. You don't want to offend the Ahjumma's! :D

christ_freak

Post by christ_freak » Apr 6th, '08, 20:02

Definitely Full House. It's so awful and there is no chemistry between the leads.

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Apr 7th, '08, 06:48

kobe23 wrote:
You're gonna make many enemies saying that about Winter Sonata, beertax. You don't want to offend the Ahjumma's! :D
The really overrated drama in this season series is Spring Waltz. Everything else is the same - similar birth secret, beautiful cinematography, OST but the main difference is the two leads can't act for peanuts.

beertax

Post by beertax » Apr 7th, '08, 07:42

I mentioned Winter Sonata b/c it is heads and shoulders more popular over the other seasons series. As far as i am concerned they are all seriously flawed.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Apr 7th, '08, 23:28

I will have to say that the most disappointing for me were

Full House : No chemistry. Storyline dragged. I just wanted it to end.

My Girl : I don't understand the hype behind this show at all. I found her character SO annoying that I could not like her.

blue_smurf

Post by blue_smurf » Apr 7th, '08, 23:55

vrosemarie wrote:
My Girl was a hype that I really didn't get. As wackily charming the show was, I hated how Lee Da Hae dressed, it took a few episodes for me to get used to Lee Dong Wook's looks (he looked really weird to me at first) and the show didn't have enough sweet moments to actually endear me to the show. The comedy was slapstick at best and the ending was a bit rushed.
I agree ^.^ I don't really get what's the hype for My Girl. (sorry My Girl fans, that's my honest opinion) I found Lee Da Hae's character so annoying that she gets on my nerves :glare:

Hello, Miss & Full House, as well.

ichigo_no_powder

Post by ichigo_no_powder » Apr 8th, '08, 00:52

agree with you 100%. I tried to force myself to watch it due to its immense popularity but the pain and boredom was so great that i couldn't get past the first few eps. Goong was another one that i liked initially but the whole 'i think i secretly like you but you like someone else and it turns out the other person might have feelings too' chase dragged out too long and I gave up halfway. Dae Jang Geum. It was interesting at first but it's so annoying how somehow it seems as if everyone is out to get her and yet she's so brilliant that she alone is able to solve all the problems presented. I think the fault all kdramas have in common is that they have small, most of the time increative plot spread out into too many episodes.

insanelysane

Post by insanelysane » Apr 9th, '08, 06:54

Full House and Goong are very overrated for me. I liked them initially but gradually, it sizzled to mush and I had to force myself to finish the series.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Apr 9th, '08, 22:29

Definitely Goong. I don't get why everyone loves it so much. Theacting was really stiff and there was no chemistry between main characters. The beginning (with wedding) was boooring and CG was made into a crybaby. I wish she was stronger in the drama.
The only ones liked were CG's family members. Well and I gotta say thet Yul was good too.

Maybe the darme bored me cuz I had read the manga before but still...

Pinkshadie

Post by Pinkshadie » Apr 10th, '08, 18:31

First Shop of Coffee Prince. The first half of the series I was half asleep, although I have to admit the second half was a bit better.

jolenee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jolenee » Apr 10th, '08, 22:54

Goong and Full House.
I was expecting a lot more since almost EVERYONE claimed they were one of the best k-dramas ever.

nysophia

Post by nysophia » Apr 10th, '08, 23:13

i'd have to say:

1. Full House, shg and rain don't have ANY chemistry whatsoever. and the story was so ordinary. there was nothing special
2. What Happened in Bali was just stupid. but everyone made a big deal out of it. I don't know why.
3. Sweet Spy.. I thought the whole story was kinda stupid.

oh, and for all of you who said goong and my girl was overrated, I think so too, but i still love them! :wub:

urbandiva

Post by urbandiva » Apr 22nd, '08, 03:23

I actually loved Full House!

Although, the one drama that I always thought was a bit overrated was My Girl ... I enjoyed it but the raves about it from my friends didn't really match up

alchocoholic80

Post by alchocoholic80 » Apr 23rd, '08, 19:10

kobe23 wrote: You're gonna make many enemies saying that about Winter Sonata, beertax. You don't want to offend the Ahjumma's! :D
Ok, i can understand that winter sonata isnt for everyone but why does everyone automatically associate it to ahjummas? How old does one have to be to qualify as an ahjumma? I'm 27 and winter sonata is my all time fav kdrama so i guess that makes me one then :P

My picks for the most overrated dramas: (sorry if I offend the fans)

1) Full house - I got sick of watching them brush their teeth over and over and over again and there was so much yelling and arguing going on, even in the final episode! And Rain's wardrobe... oh. my. god. Song hye kyo was real pretty in this tho but everything else sucked. Even the long-awaited kiss was a letdown, i thought i had hit the pause button coz they didnt move!

2) My Girl - I so wanted to like this since I heard so much about it but the whole series just annoyed the heck out of me. One minute it was slapsticky and the next it was weepy... I wished they made up their minds. None of the characters appealed to me at all.

3) Goong - Again, wanted to like this since I kinda like Yoon Eun-hye but was sorely disappointed. The first few episodes were so annoying and it got so draggy in the middle. The costumes, music and backdrops were awesome but they should have kept it at 16 or 17 episodes. And er, what is up with the 2nd prince dude and his lipgloss??

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Apr 24th, '08, 21:27

alchocoholic80 wrote: Ok, i can understand that winter sonata isnt for everyone but why does everyone automatically associate it to ahjummas? How old does one have to be to qualify as an ahjumma? I'm 27 and winter sonata is my all time fav kdrama so i guess that makes me one then :P

My picks for the most overrated dramas: (sorry if I offend the fans)

1) Full house - I got sick of watching them brush their teeth over and over and over again and there was so much yelling and arguing going on, even in the final episode! And Rain's wardrobe... oh. my. god. Song hye kyo was real pretty in this tho but everything else sucked. Even the long-awaited kiss was a letdown, i thought i had hit the pause button coz they didnt move!

2) My Girl - I so wanted to like this since I heard so much about it but the whole series just annoyed the heck out of me. One minute it was slapsticky and the next it was weepy... I wished they made up their minds. None of the characters appealed to me at all.

3) Goong - Again, wanted to like this since I kinda like Yoon Eun-hye but was sorely disappointed. The first few episodes were so annoying and it got so draggy in the middle. The costumes, music and backdrops were awesome but they should have kept it at 16 or 17 episodes. And er, what is up with the 2nd prince dude and his lipgloss??
WAH HAH HA :D I couldn't agree more with you. Those 3 dramas are on my hate list too. Though Full House was my first drama and I loved it back then. Now that I think about it... it totally sucked. I hated every peace of cloth that Rain wore.

My Girl started off good. It really hooked me but then it just started dragging. Main girl was supposed to be a happy go lucky girl but she became so depressed and just cried in every episode.

I have always hated goong! Though I liked Kim Jeong Hoon :wub:

Another overrated drama in my opinion is Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang. Sure I liked the cast (except main girl) but I think the story was extremely stupid. What story? It actually didn't have any story and it wasn't that funny at all :glare: :glare: Most of the time I just pitied Mong-ryong. I wonder why in the world did he still love her?!!

alchocoholic80

Post by alchocoholic80 » Apr 25th, '08, 06:44

maakopla wrote: Another overrated drama in my opinion is Delightful Girl Choon-Hyang. Sure I liked the cast (except main girl) but I think the story was extremely stupid. What story? It actually didn't have any story and it wasn't that funny at all :glare: :glare: Most of the time I just pitied Mong-ryong. I wonder why in the world did he still love her?!!
Oh my god, you're right. I totally forgot about delightful girl. I stopped watching it after a few episodes because i thought it was so stupid. Definitely overrated.

ttoo66

Post by ttoo66 » Apr 25th, '08, 08:50

sure winter sonata!
it's aired even in the arabic channals and everyone here love it. whenever one talks about it i tell them "it's nothing!"
i've watched a lot of kdramas and it's rare to stop watching drama in it's first eps. winter sonata one of them. i couldn't even watch ep4.

actually i dont like the melodrama type :D

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » Apr 25th, '08, 16:02

alchocoholic80 wrote:
kobe23 wrote: You're gonna make many enemies saying that about Winter Sonata, beertax. You don't want to offend the Ahjumma's! :D
Ok, i can understand that winter sonata isnt for everyone but why does everyone automatically associate it to ahjummas? How old does one have to be to qualify as an ahjumma? I'm 27 and winter sonata is my all time fav kdrama so i guess that makes me one then :P
Simple. Bae Yong Jun is an ahjumma magnet, and Choi Ji Woo is the female equivalent of BYJ. Put them together and you have a show that is totally ahjumma-fied. Also, 'ahjumma' is not entirely about age, but I think you have to be at least married or even have kids to qualify as an ahjumma. So if you fit into all of those categories then you're an ahjumma, if not, then you're not. Exceptions are made to those who like Winter Sonata though - You're an ahjumma regardless of age or marital status :D
Yeah Full House wasn't exactly the most interesting k-drama ever, but the leads had great chemistry which was the reason most people liked it. And besides, I would watch a drama of Song Hye Kyo putting up wallpaper in her house. For 16 episodes. Who's with me? :)
I actually found My Girl to be the least slapsticky out of the 3 Hong sisters dramas I have seen, but then, that isn't saying much considering what DGCH and Fantasy Couple are like. The colorful characters really livened up the show and I thought it was pretty good for the type of drama that it is.
I think Goong is the only drama so far in which I downloaded every single episode but couldn't get past watching the 2nd. What a waste of bandwidth.

kitty_1434456

Post by kitty_1434456 » Apr 29th, '08, 11:38

tisa

Post by tisa » Apr 29th, '08, 12:19

There probably wont be a lot of people who will agree with me but i think Coffee prince wasn't all that and i can't even figure out why. Sometimes you just like or dislike something without knowing why exactly.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Apr 29th, '08, 18:18

kitty_1434456 wrote:****
WTF is this supposed to mean?!

tisa

Post by tisa » Apr 29th, '08, 21:00

maakopla wrote:
Maybe she was talking about a drama. :unsure:

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Apr 30th, '08, 06:01

maakopla wrote:
I think someone's a little sensitive that 4 of their favourite dramas have been named as wildly overrated just on this page alone (see this thread here for her spammy post on her favourite dramas). Hah.
tisa wrote:There probably wont be a lot of people who will agree with me but i think Coffee prince wasn't all that and i can't even figure out why. Sometimes you just like or dislike something without knowing why exactly.
I didn't think Coffee Prince was all that either. I really liked it up to around... episode 10? YEH's portrayal of Go Eun Chan was winsome enough, and although it was a fairly typical trendy drama, I enjoyed it (enough for me to refresh D-addicts waiting for subtitles). After episode 10 though, it dropped into the usual pattern of turning on the angst, lovers cannot be together because of various silly reasons or they're hung up over someone else, -insert showcase of actresses' crying abilities here-, etc. I lost interest at that point. Overall I'd say it had entertainment value, but nothing to write home about.

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Apr 30th, '08, 06:27

I agree with a lot of people, Goong and My Girl are definitely overrated.

Goong had the potential to be a decent drama... if only they had kept it to 16 episodes. It was interesting and beautiful enough until a certain point, until it started to drag and drag and drag and....

My Girl was a good drama that I enjoyed, just not an outstanding one.

hanhyejung

Post by hanhyejung » May 2nd, '08, 05:07

My Girl and Full House

Coffee Prince and Goong to me weren't overrated at all.
It had greatttt chemistry :]

mitch16

Post by mitch16 » May 3rd, '08, 03:42

winter sonata (sorry ajummas, but the stoyline was just like any melodramatic dramas)!

full house-- the arguments and fights were too shallow to make a big deal out of it!

alchocoholic80

Post by alchocoholic80 » May 3rd, '08, 10:57

kobe23 wrote:Exceptions are made to those who like Winter Sonata though - You're an ahjumma regardless of age or marital status
Haha, you're hilarious kobe23. Not a bae yong joon fan, are we? :) No marriage or kids but geez, you make me feel so old and (almost) ashamed for liking winter sonata and byj hehe :P
kobe23 wrote:Yeah Full House wasn't exactly the most interesting k-drama ever, but the leads had great chemistry which was the reason most people liked it. And besides, I would watch a drama of Song Hye Kyo putting up wallpaper in her house. For 16 episodes. Who's with me?
Seriously, you thought they had great chemistry? And you're not just saying that coz you like shk? Maybe if they had toned down on the arguing and yelling and perhaps put a little bit of effort into that kiss, I would have found it a bit more believable and entertaining. I'll hold my thoughts on song hye kyo although I understand how you feel. I could watch byj stare into space for hours :P
Methinks someone got out on the wrong side of bed.

sun#1

Post by sun#1 » May 3rd, '08, 11:43

I am Sam. I heard a lot about this drama. But it was interesting, the plot is obvious. there were a lot of my favourite actors and actresses, but the couldn't save the whole show.
Full house. I think it is a little bit overrated. There was no chemistry between Bi and SHK. but all the same I liked it.
some people wrote that coffee prince is overrated. but it is not. I always rewatched it with great pleasure

childermass

Post by childermass » May 3rd, '08, 13:44

I'd have to agree about Goong being overrated. For one, it dragged. There was no need to have it run that long. It also took the Charles-Diana-Camilla scenario too far and turned the lead girl into a depressed crybaby. There was even a point where I was convinced that they were going to give the girl an eating disorder to mirror the events that "inspired" the story arc. I wasn't too keen about the ending either.

Winter Sonata was a (pretty) train wreck. It had beautiful cinematography consistent with the "Endless Love" seasonal theme but the plot is what soaps are made of. Sorry, I know it's a classic but I have it stamped as certified soap material (in the same league as Days of Our Lives, Sunset Beach, etc.). Half of me was hoping that the show was about moving on, finding true love after heartbreak... but apparently it wasn't.
They just had to play up the amnesia... what made it more ridiculous was finding out that the amnesia was induced and encourage by no less than the lead guy's mother... :crazy:
I also don't get the hoopla around Coffee Prince. I mean, how long can the guy be that clueless? There was just too much "skinship" going on for him to go through 10 episodes not knowing.

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » May 3rd, '08, 16:28

alchocoholic80 wrote:
kobe23 wrote:Yeah Full House wasn't exactly the most interesting k-drama ever, but the leads had great chemistry which was the reason most people liked it. And besides, I would watch a drama of Song Hye Kyo putting up wallpaper in her house. For 16 episodes. Who's with me?
Seriously, you thought they had great chemistry? And you're not just saying that coz you like shk? Maybe if they had toned down on the arguing and yelling and perhaps put a little bit of effort into that kiss, I would have found it a bit more believable and entertaining. I'll hold my thoughts on song hye kyo although I understand how you feel. I could watch byj stare into space for hours :P
Ya, Ahjumma!

Rain and SHK had great chemistry thanks. They're my 3rd favorite K-drama couple ever and all that arguing and angst....you know, that's what people who get along together do :D

Also, good thing you can watch BYJ staring into space for hours on end, because that's pretty much what he does in all of his dramas :P
I am Sam. I heard a lot about this drama. But it was interesting, the plot is obvious. there were a lot of my favourite actors and actresses, but the couldn't save the whole show.
T.O.P's the only reason why girls watch it, and Park Min Young is the only reason why guys watch it. There isn't really much else to that drama, and it's in no way overrated since its TV ratings were quite low and has had very limited discussion in k-drama forums.

Shae0001

Post by Shae0001 » May 3rd, '08, 16:49

I will say this.... I think that any drama is overated if they don't have a good kissing scene. I mean come on, isn't that the reason why most watch (romantic) drama's? I personally love to watch drama's and see the story, plot, chemistry, cinematography, etc. but, the one thing that has to be good is the kiss! If the kiss is weak then I think there is no point, because true romance isn't stiff or a touck on the lips and hold there until the director says cut.

And, I agree with everyone. Goong, MNIKSS, Witch Yoo Hee, Full House and other's mentioned are overrated, but their funny to watch. Sometimes, I watch the horrible acting just to make me laugh. Atleast it's useful for something. Regardless, each drama is still a good drama reminicant to the times they were made present or past.

alchocoholic80

Post by alchocoholic80 » May 3rd, '08, 21:31

kobe23 wrote:They're my 3rd favorite K-drama couple ever and all that arguing and angst...you know, that's what people who get along together do
If that's your idea of what people who get along together do, good luck. I don't think any woman in her right mind would stay and take so much crap from a man like rain's character. Who's your top 2 fav couple?
kobe23 wrote:Also, good thing you can watch BYJ staring into space for hours on end, because that's pretty much what he does in all of his dramas
Aww, come on... i know everyone's entitled to an opinion but play nice. You don't hear me saying anything about shk's acting even though I don't like her, do you?
Shae0001 wrote:I will say this.... I think that any drama is overated if they don't have a good kissing scene. I mean come on, isn't that the reason why most watch (romantic) drama's? I personally love to watch drama's and see the story, plot, chemistry, cinematography, etc. but, the one thing that has to be good is the kiss! If the kiss is weak then I think there is no point, because true romance isn't stiff or a touck on the lips and hold there until the director says cut.
Good point although I don't think all dramas without a good kissing scene would necessarily fit the description as being overrated.

I'd forgive a bad kiss if it was from a different drama genre or if there were other redeeming qualities like great chemistry, smart & witty dialogue, touching scenes, small romantic gestures (sometimes this far surpasses the kiss) or a heartfelt "I Love You" moment. But yeah, one of the highlights of any romance drama is the kiss and it's disappointing when it falls flat. I mean come on, if people are gonna spend 16-20 hours watching a kdrama that sells itself as a romance or a love story, the chemistry and kiss better be somewhat believable, otherwise it's just a waste of everybody's time. Fortunately, most korean dramas have good/passable kissing scenes while some of the worst come from HK dramas. Some of them seriously kiss like dead fish but that's another topic altogether.

Anyway, another one to add to my list of overrated dramas: Fantasy Couple. I was so bored watching this but I had to force myself to watch it until the end since I bought the DVD. I just couldnt wait for it to end so I could move on to something else. Guess I'm just not a fan of the Hong sisters' projects.

brokendreams

Post by brokendreams » May 4th, '08, 06:45

Full House. every episode was like the same. no chemistry at all. even the house got annoying. and who could honestly like someone like rain in this drama? talk about drama queen... why this is #1 in the rankings really puzzles me. whoever thinks this is the best drama ever obviously hasn't seen too many of them...

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » May 5th, '08, 15:25

alchocoholic80 wrote:
kobe23 wrote:They're my 3rd favorite K-drama couple ever and all that arguing and angst...you know, that's what people who get along together do
If that's your idea of what people who get along together do, good luck. I don't think any woman in her right mind would stay and take so much crap from a man like rain's character. Who's your top 2 fav couple?
I cannot disclose my top 2 fav. k-drama couple at this point in time, but in regards to Rain's character in FH: I've always been under the impression that girls like that type of guy? You know, the arrogant type with 'prince syndrome' but has a good heart. Judging by a lot of the male characters in k-dramas, it really does seem like girls are attracted to that type.
Aww, come on... i know everyone's entitled to an opinion but play nice. You don't hear me saying anything about shk's acting even though I don't like her, do you?
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I thought the 'Ahjumma' comment was much more offensive than this :unsure: Actually what I said about BYJ had nothing to do with his acting whatsoever, but just a little jab at k-dramas in general how the lead actor always seems stare at absolutely nothing for long periods of time.

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » May 6th, '08, 07:28

"Bad boys with good hearts" do tend to appear attractive on screen, though I think most of us would prefer sweet and supportive guys when it comes down to it :P As cool as they look, they're terrible to live with. Hence the shift towards supporting the 2nd male lead characters (tends to be the one who gives instead of takes) instead of the male lead recently~ Really, though, Rain's character was not so much "arrogant prince who's actually a softie"; the way he acted made the character come across as virtually abusive. Frankly, if I was SHG in the drama, I would've ditched him within the first 5 episodes. Poor girl.

I actually enjoyed Fantasy Couple more than other dramas by the Hong sisters, perhaps because we don't see the heroine turning into a weeping, depressed wreck after falling in love with the male lead, like Yoo Rin in My Girl did, for example. She's supposed to be a tough, happy-go-lucky kind of character, but the minute her relationship with Gong Chan turned serious, she became a total spineless female in distress. It was painful to watch :/

kobe23

Post by kobe23 » May 6th, '08, 15:56

Heh....yeah, he made her sleep outside in the rain right? It's been 2 years so I can barely remember, but you're right, he did come across as being slightly abusive. But still, she had nowhere else to go, what other choice did she have? He took advantage of her vulnerable situation and she fell for him. You can't choose who you love :)

alchocoholic80

Post by alchocoholic80 » May 7th, '08, 17:07

kobe23 wrote:Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I thought the 'Ahjumma' comment was much more offensive than this :unsure: Actually what I said about BYJ had nothing to do with his acting whatsoever, but just a little jab at k-dramas in general how the lead actor always seems stare at absolutely nothing for long periods of time.
Ok, my bad for misunderstanding but nah, am not offended. Like I said, everyone's entitled to their opinion :) And trust me, I hear the word ahjumma tossed in every time byj or winter sonata is mentioned so I'm practically immune to it by now hehe.
Hanjae wrote:"Bad boys with good hearts" do tend to appear attractive on screen, though I think most of us would prefer sweet and supportive guys when it comes down to it. As cool as they look, they're terrible to live with. Hence the shift towards supporting the 2nd male lead characters (tends to be the one who gives instead of takes) instead of the male lead recently
Hanjae wrote:I actually enjoyed Fantasy Couple more than other dramas by the Hong sisters, perhaps because we don't see the heroine turning into a weeping, depressed wreck after falling in love with the male lead, like Yoo Rin in My Girl did, for example.
My sentiments exactly. Bad boys are fun for like, oh, 5 minutes and then they're a serious pain in the ass. Nothing like a good, decent guy to get you through the hard times. I guess that's why it's particularly fun to watch the "bad boys with good hearts" on screen. You just know somewhere along those 16 episodes, the cold and callous exterior thaws out to reveal a sweet, loyal and caring guy underneath. I don't know about other women out there but I don't get so much as a whiff of this sorta guy in real life so I want to see versions of him in all my romance k-dramas, no matter how predictable it gets :P. And Rain's character was so not it for me. The whole time I was rooting for her to end up with the very suave 2nd male lead instead but we know that almost never happens in kdramas.

As for Fantasy Couple, I will admit that it is by far the best drama by the hong sisters and I enjoyed han ye seul's character immensely for the reason you have stated. I love strong female type characters and am sick to death of the portrayal of a lot of the women in kdramas so hers was a refreshing change. Sadly, that was pretty much all I liked about the drama as I just couldn't get into the plot and I thought the chemistry between the leads was sorely lacking.

Honeylet123

Post by Honeylet123 » Jun 27th, '08, 18:38

Witch Yoo Hee- I enjoyed watching it and I thought it was ok... but I don't understand why it would join someone's MUST WATCH list. I hated the fact that the male lead wasn't given a chance to improve himself career-wise though.
Coffee-Prince- the story is cute.. but I was not visited of "I have to re-watch it!" syndrome afterwards.

aziatik

Post by aziatik » Jun 30th, '08, 07:30

Coffee Prince and Goong, sorry YEH but in prince it wasn't believable that the secret endured for that long... and goong because of Length, and the Faux settings really didn't seem all that elegant and prestigous, i thought it was fairly obvious that the set was a set.... nevertheless both very watchable... just not the best... The Vineyard Man is Severely Underrated...

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Jun 30th, '08, 07:43

Goong and Full House.
I'm getting bored with Goong right now because well, its not as great as I thought. Full House was good but I didn't think it was that good.

equinox

Post by equinox » Jun 30th, '08, 08:05

"Goong", "Coffee Prince" and "Full House"

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Jun 30th, '08, 22:51

I'm gonna have to join the Goong club.

Dinty

Post by Dinty » Jul 22nd, '08, 23:38

Goong is hella good. They overdid the revenge thing and the whole royalty crap, but other then that it was really good. They shouldn't had extend the show to 24 episodes though, and should've cut back on some of the royalty thing, but their was more then enough "good" episodes to make it one of the best drama.

I'm sorry I love you, on the other hand, is def. overrated. Every episode sucked. The end.

Molenir

Post by Molenir » Jul 22nd, '08, 23:51

I'd join the Goong and Coffee Prince groups. Both shows were great. I really enjoyed them. I just wouldn't rate them as high as some people seem to.

Rori

Post by Rori » Jul 23rd, '08, 00:01

Goong... I swear, there was NO need for 24 episodes. I almost fell asleep during the last 5 episodes. They should have cut it at about 16 and it would have been fine. It dragged like hell towards the end, I'm pretty sure they were just going over the same stuff eventually.

Could be considered a spoiler?
At least it didn't have a 2-5 year time-skip like the majority of other Kdramas love to do. (well I'm assuming it wasn't that long considering they had one anyway)
So yeah, I'm also joining the Goong club.

johnjeon

Post by johnjeon » Aug 6th, '08, 22:43

I've only seen about a half dozen K-dramas and I've had pretty bad luck in picking them.
None have been very good but I can not figure out the praises I read for
Autumn in My Heart (I think it is known by a couple different names.)
This was by far the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It was like "Brain Damaged Theater"
since a serious head injury is the only reason I could see why characters would
act this way. I forced myself to watch the whole thing because I thought it had
to get better (hence the good reviews) but it only got worse.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Can anyone point me to a K-drama that has characters that talk intelligently to
each other and does not have a screaming wacky mother character?

Ayulyn

Post by Ayulyn » Aug 6th, '08, 23:03

Gunna go with Witch Yoo Hee, Goong (to an extent), and Full House.

Maybe Full House was good to me then because Bi was in it and SHK was gorgeous, but when I think about it..It wasn't as wonderful as the World wide web believes.

sleeplessgrl13

Post by sleeplessgrl13 » Aug 6th, '08, 23:31

i think it also depends on what mood you are in when you're watching the dramas. like some dramas i take so long to watch because i wasn't in the mood for that type but suddenly one day i find myself watching that same drama ep after ep in a day haha

i agree with Goong too. I liked them but i agree it doesn't have to be 24 episodes. 16-20 max! i seldom watch kdramas because they drag like this a lot (Coffee Prince was there a need for the extra episode? ;;(^^))

Full House was also good but sooooo repetitive!! it got annoying and i kept wondering why they keep going in circles and won't end already >_<

My Girl is the hype that i dont understand too. i didn't like the supporting female. her acting was really bad. i forced myself to watched it for lee jun ki and lee da hae.

Winter Sonata and Autumn Tale i think you have to be in a really calm and romantic mood to enjoy it fully. I really liked them a long time back when i first saw them but I'm not in the mood lately so i cant rewatch them at all ;;(^^)

zcbml

Post by zcbml » Aug 7th, '08, 05:45

Definitely agree for GOONG, I am not even sure why it was so popular, I suppose the idea of the drama is prettynew but still I didn't like it at all. I mean, if you think about it, the main guy character is a very sad character, the 2nd main guy is also very very sad, so the is the 2nd main girl character. The only happy one is teh main girl character but surrounded by those three, her bright side doesn't last that long, so it just become such a drag! I am not even sure where I stopped! I don't think I ever finished it!

I LOVE Full house, It is hilarious, at least the first 8 or so episodes I thought was great, afterward, especially at the ending, I have a tendency to not remember that part at all for some werid reason!

Autume tale, I saw it a long long time ago, All I remember is that the characters cry in every episode, at first I was crying with them in everything episode and then my tears went out, so I went to bed and never watched it again...

johnjeon

Post by johnjeon » Aug 7th, '08, 13:55

zcbml wrote:
Autume tale, I saw it a long long time ago, All I remember is that the characters cry in every episode, at first I was crying with them in everything episode and then my tears went out, so I went to bed and never watched it again...
I do remember all the crying in Autumn.. but I always thought the crying was brought
about by the characters' own stupid actions so I just wanted to slap the characters and
not cry for them.
Any more I check to see if a main character dies in a drama before I start watching. I'm just tired of the old haggard "slowly dying" story line.

zcbml

Post by zcbml » Aug 7th, '08, 18:28

johnjeon wrote:
zcbml wrote:
I do remember all the crying in Autumn.. but I always thought the crying was brought
about by the characters' own stupid actions so I just wanted to slap the characters and
not cry for them.
Any more I check to see if a main character dies in a drama before I start watching. I'm just tired of the old haggard "slowly dying" story line.
Haha OMg I do that too! I use to have the patience to watch the kdramas to the end but now I start with the ending and if it is in anyways a twisted sad ending then I don't even brother to watch it! :crazy:

Autume tale was quite annoying with all the crying! I think that's why it got stuck in my memory!

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Aug 8th, '08, 03:10

aziatik wrote: prince it wasn't believable that the secret endured for that long...
:lol I just had to laugh when I read that sentence. Maybe to you and me. I saw Yoon Eun-hye in Goong or Princess Hours as it was titled on TV, so I knew she was a very pretty girl already. But my sister! OMG, my sister really thought she was a guy for a long time! She was surprised to learn it was a girl :lol But maybe that's cuz the only other k-drama she's ever seen is Kim Sam-soon.

xxemz19xx

Post by xxemz19xx » Aug 11th, '08, 09:34

Jumping on the Goong band wagon, I found the characters slightly annoying and the plot was just over the top I think I only watched it for Joo Ji Hun. I was slightly dissappointed with the fact that an actor was the only reason I watched it....

Coffee prince was another. I gave up on it about half way through I just was extremely dissapointed with how boring the plot was.

aziatik

Post by aziatik » Aug 12th, '08, 07:57

ackirom wrote:
aziatik wrote: prince it wasn't believable that the secret endured for that long...
:lol I just had to laugh when I read that sentence. Maybe to you and me. I saw Yoon Eun-hye in Goong or Princess Hours as it was titled on TV, so I knew she was a very pretty girl already. But my sister! OMG, my sister really thought she was a guy for a long time! She was surprised to learn it was a girl :lol But maybe that's cuz the only other k-drama she's ever seen is Kim Sam-soon.

Maybe your right... since i seen all her previous works =) but i also believe i happen to have higher then normal sex-dar.... I wouldn't want to test it out in Thailand though...

nikkibell84

Post by nikkibell84 » Aug 19th, '08, 19:28

Some really great choices here, and I agree with a lot of them. I find most kdramas to be good, but some just get too much praise.

My List of Most Overrated: (in no order)

Autumn in My Heart / A Tale of Autumn / Autumn Story / Endless Love - It was just dull, no? Lots of crying, lots of semi-incest, lots of people doing stupid things. Lots of me rolling my eyes and yelling at the screen.

Coffee Prince - Where do I begin? Everyone thinking she was a boy lasted about four episodes too long. Then, the rest of the series just sort of dragged on and got, what's the word. . . repetittive. Han Kyul and Eun Chan were very cute, but I remember getting very bored with the whole show around episode 12 or so. I watched out of habit, but, eh. . . it wasn't a "masterpiece", it was just a good show.

My Name is Kim Sam-Soon - I really didn't like this show, not even for a moment. I think my issue was that I simply did not care for the main female character. It's very odd, because this show could be a favorite - just without Sam-soon.

Iljimae - This one really didn't keep my interest. Loved the actors and the characters were good, but I felt it was a bit draggy, like it took took long to get to a point and once it got to the point, it dealt with that point too quickly.

lemniscate

Post by lemniscate » Jun 5th, '09, 15:06

GOONG!

MEDIOCRITY to the highest level!

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Jun 6th, '09, 10:51

lemniscate wrote:GOONG!

I agre 100% Goong was the worst drama I have ever seen, in all aspects. And I still cannot understand why everybody likes it so much!

idiscolikeathug

Post by idiscolikeathug » Jun 6th, '09, 11:50

Boys Over Flowers: Poor acting by most of the main cast, especially Koo Hye Sun (Sorry, but her pronunciation & over acting got on my nerves). A lot of hype & not much substance. Korean F4 look better, but I think the Japanese HYD kicks this drama in the nuts.

Goong: Again, poor acting especially by YEH (I'm very glad she has improved) Started off fresh, light & comedic, but soon got draggy.

My Girl: Also had a pretty good start but soon got draggy. The transition from the comedic beginning to the super dramatic ending was not smooth.

sun#1

Post by sun#1 » Jun 20th, '09, 07:11

I agree with you guys
Goong is overrated
But I don't think the acting was poor, I think the plot was not interesting
So the drama became very boring for me

Full House
I think it is a good drama, but not that great like everyone said
It was interesting in the begining. but in the middle everything was the same, nothing happened
it drive me crazy, i was wondering when it would end

twistedmind

Post by twistedmind » Jun 23rd, '09, 11:51

I'm actually a BIG fan of Goong but I have to agree that some parts of the KDrama bored me. Too much revenge! And come on, 24 episodes? That's too much. 15-16 episodes are enough.

Another over-rated KDrama is Kim Sam Soon. The lead character doesn't really work for me.

ParadiseLost

Post by ParadiseLost » Jun 26th, '09, 18:17

1. Goong
2. Full House
3. Hana Yori Dango

waaay overated.

ParadiseLost

Post by ParadiseLost » Jun 26th, '09, 18:19

maakopla wrote:
lemniscate wrote:GOONG!

I agre 100% Goong was the worst drama I have ever seen, in all aspects. And I still cannot understand why everybody likes it so much!
Agreed.

Lucille

Post by Lucille » Jun 26th, '09, 21:41

I have to agree with everyone who said My Girl. Really didn't get the hype, but having said that...
I think I should watch it again. There are a couple of dramas such as Hello Fox and Flowers for My Life that I did not like the first time. However, I recently watched them again and found them to be rather cute. Now that I have seen many more dramas and many, many, many bad dramas (Insoon is Pretty), I think I can appreciate them more. They will NOT go down as the best dramas of all time, but they make it off the trash list.

br4nd0n

Post by br4nd0n » Jun 26th, '09, 22:01

I must agree about

Full House (though it was my first k-drama and I liked it then)

And Boys Over Flowers (they changed some things I didn't like but it's still good)

And definitely Goong.

The manga is great, but the drama .... meh.{I think it's was soo overrated because the manga is good.} It was the second time I saw Yoon Eun Hye (hope I spelled that correctly) and from seeing Coffee Prince first I realised how good she was in acting and that she deserved that award. And that she's pretty!!!

I can't believe some people are saying My Girl. She was unexpectedly funny. The first time I thought it was ok, but the second time I was shocked at the funny stupid things she did. (like bumping her head against the wall whenshe jumped on the bed, and the many embarrassing moments and lies she was caught in.)

And I can't believe some say Hana Yori (though that's japanese, unless that person really meant BOF), after watching it a second time I thought it was even better. But everyone including me are entitled to their own opinion.
Last edited by br4nd0n on Jun 26th, '09, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.

beardpapa

Post by beardpapa » Jun 26th, '09, 22:06

1) Autumn tale: Yeah, lots of eye candy, but too much melodrama and the storyline itself was sour. It was kind of gross how Joon Suh and Eun Suh fell in love, since they were brought up together as siblings. The storyline tries to play it safe by making the characters know that they're not blood-related, but how can you still have romantic feelings for each other when they were mere kids. Kind of gave off the incestuous vibe...eww

2) What happened in Bali: Booorrrring. I didn't like any of the characters, so there was no reason why I forced myself to watch 6-8 eps of this overrated drama. Too slow, pathetic storyline, and unlikeable characters = waste of my time.

3) Boys Over Flowers: Love Minho, but the storyline had some noticeable flaws. Redundant music used at inappropriate times and some below average acting performances from the cast. It was a guilty pleasure to watch this drama, but not classic enough to be on my top 5 list. So overall, it wasn't too bad, but not that great either.

ParadiseLost

Post by ParadiseLost » Jun 27th, '09, 02:04

br4nd0n wrote:
I can't believe some people are saying My Girl. She was unexpectedly funny. The first time I thought it was ok, but the second time I was shocked at the funny stupid things she did. (like bumping her head against the wall whenshe jumped on the bed, and the many embarrassing moments and lies she was caught in.)
yeah i thought the same thing too. It starts out very slow but as it goes along its very funny.

silverayne

Post by silverayne » Jun 27th, '09, 03:12

I'd have to say Goong too. I didn't watch it for Joo Ji Hoon or Yoon Eun Hye but Kim Jeong Hoon, he's just too pretty to pass up lol. Aside from that, Ji Hoon came off as too much of a jerk , Yoon Eun Hye too weepy and the royal family seemed to have a stick up their ***. I always get tired of a show where the male/female lead walk around like "woe is me" through the majority of the show.