Let's Go to School, Sang-doo (KBS2, 2003) **Spoilers**

Discuss Korean drama series here.

Let's Go to School, Sang-doo!

Poll ended at Apr 3rd, '06, 05:21

They died in the Car Crash.
51%
Survived and Moved to start a New family together.
49%

Total votes: 97

luith

Not sure if this is the best place to post this...

Post by luith » Mar 6th, '06, 01:40

Not sure if this is the best place to post this... But I'm looking to buy this series. I found one boxset, but am not sure if it is official or bootleg and what region it is.

Does anyone recognize this?
[img]http://i2.tinypic.com/qs2jc1.jpg[/img]

Guan

Post by Guan » Apr 6th, '06, 17:20

lavendersky wrote:
babygrl wrote:I hate to be annoying...

but i really liked the way bi sang it.. does anyone know if there is a version with him singing it out there or he jsut did it for the drama?
Actually he has performed this song several times, i've uploaded 2 of his perf.

2nd Cloud Meeting in 2003
Recent Perf in Japan 2005

Enjoyz :-)
hi...any1 hav it? do you mind uploading it again?

kimchitina

Post by kimchitina » Apr 12th, '06, 11:14

i am now in the 7th episode of the drama ...this drama is soo funny.i love sangdoo..i also wanna join the www.sangdoo.co.kr..hahahaha :D

meme104

Post by meme104 » Apr 13th, '06, 09:25

so did they die in the end or did they just moved away to start a new family
i would feel much better if they have moved
only yesterday i have finished the episode and i couldn't sleep since it really touched me
i cried till i felt dizzy
espacialy when Bori said " sorry father i can't remember your face anymore"

tokidoki

Post by tokidoki » May 21st, '06, 04:48

**spolier**

I just wanted to see what people thought about the ending to the drama because I just finished today (kinda late, huh? haha).
When they got hit by the car I was so shocked! I feel that they did, actually die and the clip of them later on is actually them reborn. I feel this way because earlier in the drama Sang doo told Bori that if he was reborn he would still want her to be his daughter and that he would want everything to work out better with Eun-hwan. Another explanation I have is the 'flash back' (shown again when they got hit by the truck) of Eun-hwan waiting by Sang doo's door crying for him to come out and go to school. Usually in that scene he is gone.. but then he was actually there. So, I feel that they were reborn and in their new life they never had to leave the city, they grew up in. And the clip we saw was when they were older and she became a teacher at their old school, he became the security guard, and then had birth Bori, again... even though Bori is not really biologically either of their daughter... but that doesn't matter if you are reborn.. i guess. ^^

puppyiz

Re: Not sure if this is the best place to post this...

Post by puppyiz » Sep 14th, '06, 07:49

luith wrote:Not sure if this is the best place to post this... But I'm looking to buy this series. I found one boxset, but am not sure if it is official or bootleg and what region it is.

Does anyone recognize this?
[img]http://i2.tinypic.com/qs2jc1.jpg[/img]
Hi!
Just grab whichever that is cheaper.
:-)

kyu-ree

Post by kyu-ree » Oct 22nd, '06, 17:18

no, they didn't die!

the accident scene is just there to shock us!
Bori says "sorry I'm forgetting your face" cos she has now a new daddy (the man Sera married), I think that Sang-Doo and Eun-Hwan don't appear in the family photo is to keep us in doubt still. But the last scene shows them living together on the countryside, expecting a baby girl.

I looooooooooooved the series so much :) I laughed and cried so much!!!

some ppl say Gong Hyo Jin isn't pretty enough. But besides the fact many ppl find her pretty, you also have to remember that when she went to school she wasn't very popular, whereas Sang-Doo was. How could they have chosen a stunningly attractive actress if she's supposed to be not so popular in school?
Also when she's not so attractive the actual bond Sang-Doo and Eun-Hwan have is beyond superficial attraction. Also Min-Suk who is a doctor falls for her and sometimes they say that he could be w/ "better" women. This all stressed how much of a lovely person Eun-Hwan is!

rambutan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by rambutan » Oct 30th, '06, 01:49

I think they should have died in the accident. The mood set from the mid episodes wasn't set for a happy ending. I cried so much watching this series that I wasn't sure it was the flu or the sobbing that caused a running nose, sore throat and headache for two days (now I think it is the sobbing). So imagine my disappointment when the ending wasn't what I cried for! Watching the ending here is like watching Autumn Tale/Love Story, just that in the last 5 min the girl got cured and lived happily ever after.

adelynauz

Post by adelynauz » Nov 17th, '06, 01:52

I really like this series. One of my Top 10 list. It's so funny and cute.

silvermug

Post by silvermug » Nov 19th, '06, 23:24

they didn't die in the car accident. the series is OK. but if one watched My Girl first or MNIKSS (like me), then this wouldn't be that nice.

i am not a fan of the main actor, but i heard about this series from several threads so i thought, why not watch it. but i didn't really feel the excitement while watching it. neither i found it funny. maybe because my girl is funnier, or full house at least.

pristina

Post by pristina » Dec 7th, '06, 11:25

this drama is not bad...love it......the main actress has quite a sharp voice that at certain times in the drama, when she speaks....WOA!!! quite irritating..... but she is quite a gd actress......nothing much to pick on/....except her voice....

warlock110

Post by warlock110 » Dec 15th, '06, 17:26

review of the series after i finish watching it:

1) it was a bit draggy... just a tiny bit... but i had to skip over some parts and then later come back and rewatch it... so that's a sign of something that's draggy...
2) the lead actress couldda look better... her hair was just killing her... for real, no girl should have that hair style with the little bank in the front, OMG she has a semi round face... that bank just kill it bad... with the other hair styles (toward the end) she looked better... she's cute but not as good as the other actress when it comes to look.
3) just to clarify, they DID NOT die at the end... the last few scenes of the couple are too realistic.... they are probably far away from the family... let's face it... Sangdoo isn't the real father of Bori... the lead actress isn't anything related to the family... it's wierd if they have to see each other... but it only makes sense if they had go far away.. besides this is a comedy (sortta) so it's probably logical for a happy ending...
4) it's an ok series... there's better ones but this one deffintely would go on the must watch list if you like kdrama.

Linh[hyd=3]

Post by Linh[hyd=3] » May 4th, '07, 22:21

i just finish watching the last episod. but i don't understand one thing...the main characters died in the car crash or they Survived ?

o___O

samantha luz

Post by samantha luz » May 5th, '07, 15:02

i was really curious about this kdrama. at first i really can't understand the story but as i started to move on i was able to understand everything. i really try finishing it for about a week. this is one of the kdramas that made me really cry. the time when the girl's family found out that sangdoo will be put in the jail because of his hand cuffs and then when everybody was donating for bori's recovery. this really made me cry. i watch it after a month. same feelings but this time it made me really cry so hard that nobody in my family bother to talk to me after i watch it...

altec1

The ENDING!

Post by altec1 » Jun 4th, '07, 22:41

What I thought the ending was about:
I think they did die, because Sang Doo cannot leave Bori...there was too much investment in their relationship...he'd be a horrible person to leave her....I think the ending was just emblematic of what life could have been for the two...
Go ahead :argue: some more :mrgreen:

maryhehe

Re: Just a thought on "Sang Doo Let's Go To School"

Post by maryhehe » Jun 18th, '07, 20:49

DonlySuperman wrote:I started watching this a little while ago but can't help but notice that the lead female role should be someone else. I mean she's a good actress and all but I can't help but notice that she's not very attractive to put in a nice way. After watching "Romance" with Kim Ha Neul, I just thought that she would make this series so much better. Kim Ha-Neul is so cute and funny that this role would fit her quite well plus she has experience in being a teacher in both Romance and My Tutor Friend.

No offense but everytime I hear "you're so pretty" being called on the teacher, it's really eerie.

I just want to ask those who have viewed this message to respond if you feel the same way or if you feel the opposite.
It's true...when i saw her, i was like what's wrong with those people???How can they put her next to Bi...he is way too attractive for her. :cussing:
She looks so old too...not a good match at all. I actually think that any other female lead will be better than her next to Bi. But I have to say that her acting is good.

maryhehe

Post by maryhehe » Jun 18th, '07, 20:56

pear wrote:I think the scriptwriter wants a prfound ending to be open for your own interpretation.
If you think they die, they died. If you think they are living happily ever after, that's it.

In my own opinion, I think of it as Sangdoo and Eunhwan can only get together in a place called HEAVEN. It's pessimistic bt yeah, life always doesn't go your way.
I thought they survived the car accident...but from reading the postings...maybe they actually really died. So did they die or not???

JlovesVan

sangdoo

Post by JlovesVan » Jun 24th, '07, 01:46

It is totally suppose to be open to interpretation. If you noticed when the doctor comes by Sangdoo's old place he tells Bori " I missed your Daddy" and she said "But my daddy isn't here" that is just one example of vague conversations to leave it open. Personally, I think there are many clues dropped throughout the whole drama that point to them dying. His mention at the end about thanking his family for letting them have a place of happiness away or however he words it is exactly the same thing mentioned earlier when he talks about death. I don't believe he would EVER leave Bori regardless of whether or not she was his blood daughter. But, he may have had reflection time in prison and letting Bori get established with her stepdad over that time he may have decided to bow out Who knows..it is one of the things I loved about this drama. It was wonderful and one of Jihoon's best.

Hitokiri_Johndoesai

Post by Hitokiri_Johndoesai » Oct 7th, '07, 21:35

I think they died in the car crash. The "happy family" ending is just an illusion or something like that. Both of them are not in the family picture and the last dialogue appears to be "From Eun-whan and Sang-doo in a world without despair". Which place could this "world without despair" be? Maybe heaven... :cry:

Anyway, the ending really sucked for me, but overall great drama, even if the last few episodes were a little bit draggy and unnecessary.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Oct 9th, '07, 07:09

They definitely died at the end. Well. They were hit by truck. Who survives that? I think it was so sad :cry: And the last part when they had a baby and were living happily ever after, it just a was a way to show ppl that even if they died it wasn't that sad of a thing. So if afterlife is possible they would have lived like that. And in real life there is no way they could have been together. (though I don't understand the point why can't they let Bori know the truth after all. It's not like it would kill her.)

Ending was definitely the best part of whole drama. I cried so much! sang Doo did so much for Bori and yet he had to leave her. And she was even forgetting him T_ T Ah I suddenly feel like watching this drama again.
Last edited by maakopla on Apr 30th, '08, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

ohoud

Post by ohoud » Oct 9th, '07, 10:11

I think they Died..
and that illusion was a way to show us the viewers what would've been If they have never been separated from each other by Jail and what has happened afterwords..

bean

Post by bean » Dec 6th, '07, 19:21

This drama is really unique.. I cant stop crying when watch the last episode.... :cry:

I think they die because the blood on the road,who can survive after lost so many blood. But i realy like d ending, 'a world without despair'.I think its gotto b heaven.. but the monets eun hwan giving birth is like real to me.. haha.. anyway i just love tis drama.. I still nid ppl to tell me whether they both die or not..

Bakaneko_San

Post by Bakaneko_San » Dec 14th, '07, 00:22

The ending was too wtf! for me to even have time to react:) Wasn't too fond of the whole "die in each other's arms" twist, so I take it as they survived, it would be too much I'd say if not. I think it is up to anyone's guess whether they really died or not, being hit by the truck might just be a thing to show how they both wouldn't hesitate to die for eachother. Or then again, they might have died, but I don't like that path. That they are missed in Seoul is natural since they were popular and if they work somewhere else they will not be able to get home very often given a young couple's status in Asia.

I think the leading actors/actresses were a got fit, Gong Hyo Jin is super attractive:)

guiligirl

My opinion

Post by guiligirl » Apr 30th, '08, 14:13

Bi was so cute that's why I watched this drama, but the story ends to make me dislike it. When Bori's illness got worse, why didn't Sang Doo give explanations to Eun-Hwan instead of ignoring her and he even got mad at her, when it is her that should be mad at him for standing her up twice. The ending is really stupid. He runs opposite when she runs towards him, after he got out of jail. That's just nonsense.

luv2dream

Post by luv2dream » Jul 16th, '08, 14:02

they didn't die

soulndivinity

Post by soulndivinity » May 28th, '10, 18:44

I can honestly say you do not understand this drama nor do you understand the love being portraid in it. If you did you could not say such thing as lead actress not being pretty and all. She was so natural and perfect. She was good with Sang Doo. They were not Kong Hyo Jin nor Rain, but Eun Hwan and Sang Doo. And, they were superb at that. Their acting was so real and true it ached my heart. I am a Korean and never watched Korean drama for almost 14 years and this month I watched so many series and I realized why I did not watch them from many dramas but from this one and 'A love to kill' I also realized why I do appreciate life. I must say Rain did a wonderful job, but that doesn't happen because of only his effort. His partner did wonderful job. Nothing was superficial. Every moment was taken very seriousely and went deep even in the goofy moment. That goofy moment ached my heart. I even found a meaning of my life. We should have something we can give our life to being born as a human being in this planet. I like to thank the writer also.

toenail

Post by toenail » May 29th, '10, 12:43

soulndivinity wrote:I can honestly say you do not understand this drama nor do you understand the love being portraid in it. If you did you could not say such thing as lead actress not being pretty and all. She was so natural and perfect. She was good with Sang Doo. They were not Kong Hyo Jin nor Rain, but Eun Hwan and Sang Doo. And, they were superb at that. Their acting was so real and true it ached my heart. I am a Korean and never watched Korean drama for almost 14 years and this month I watched so many series and I realized why I did not watch them from many dramas but from this one and 'A love to kill' I also realized why I do appreciate life. I must say Rain did a wonderful job, but that doesn't happen because of only his effort. His partner did wonderful job. Nothing was superficial. Every moment was taken very seriousely and went deep even in the goofy moment. That goofy moment ached my heart. I even found a meaning of my life. We should have something we can give our life to being born as a human being in this planet. I like to thank the writer also.
You have said exactly what I thought when I read those comments about Kong Hyo Jin not pretty enough -- those who think so did not watch the real drama, they only want to watch soap opera for the beautiful empty faces!!

Sorry but that is what I think makes soap opera and drama are different. In soap operas no single strand of hair ever goes out of place lol - see those strutting in "The Bold and the Beautiful"? Of course there are quite some k-drama that do not deserve to be called drama at all, but merely soap operas. (errmm.. You're Beautiful is one of those, noone in YB can act at all. No offense, just personal opinion, but I think I wasted some precious hours of my life watching that just because I've used bandwith downloaded that).

I think almost every actor/actress in Sang Doo are wonderful - Can't say enough to praise those who play Sang Doo, Eun Hwan, Bori, Sang Doo's uncle, the auntie (forgot name). The scene when Sang Doo cuts Bori's hair is unforgettable!

Biozombie

Post by Biozombie » Dec 7th, '11, 23:08

I just finished this and all I can say is how Kong Hyo Jin carried this series from beginning to end with her beauty and acting. I didn't think either of the two male leads were worthy of her, she was way too great for either. The character of Sang Doo was a right selfish tool who used his situation to make himself feel special (probably to compensate for his own sense of abandonment - which ran right through the series,pretty much everyone was abandoned at some point), everything he did was all about his own sense of superority covered up with excuses, he never really loved Eun Hwan. When she was happy with someone else he had to have her, when he got her, he loved Bori and didn't give a toss about her until.......and so the cycle continued, he couldn't even stand anyone else helping to save his daughter's life, he was that arrogant (and Rain's overacting was cringe-worthy, he obviously had many acting lessons between this and Full House). And as for the doctor, well, he was just a snooze-fest waiting to happen (no blame on Lee Dong Gun, you can only work with the materials given). I thought that Hong Soo Hyun was great as Pal Ran/Sera, a true baddie that you just loved to hate, she was relentless in her persuit of Sang Doo and even though the outcome of that was obvious from very early on, it was entertaining enough whilst it lasted. The kid. Song Min Joo, was mega cute also. As for the ending, I took it as they moved away from the pressures of the family to start afresh on their own, why else show her still pregnant, but given how hamfisted the direction was, especially with the flashback sequences, it wouldn't have surprise me if it was the director trying (and failing) to be clever.
Anyway, overall, I'd give it 9/10 but the only thing that made it rise above average was the magnificent Kong Hyo Jin.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jul 1st, '13, 03:07

This isn't why I came here but I want to add my two pieces, I can't believe the general consensus here seems to be that Gong Hyo Jin is unattractive, to me she's by far one of the most attractive actress in Korea, certaintly way more attractive than Kim Tae Hee or Song Hye Gyo.

My question is I'm watching this because of Gong Hyo Jin and I've watched the first 2 episodes I gather from comments here and on DramaFever that it has a rather open ended possibly sad ending is the rest of the show worth it?

Dena27

Re: Let's Go to School, Sang-doo (KBS2, 2003) **Spoilers**

Post by Dena27 » May 18th, '15, 02:11

Personally I believe that the doctor and family all told Bori that her "dad" had died and since Bori wasn't actually his child, it was a good way to let him start fresh with Eun-Hwan. They may be in touch with Eun-hwan's family but there is no reason to expect them to live with them. Like many of us, most don't live right next door to their parents/siblings. Also with her "sister" being the mother of Bori and coveting Sang Doo, they may have simply cut all ties. Depends on if you'd prefer a happy or sad ending!

As for Gong Hye Jin, she may not be a "classic" beauty but she has something special and is able to connect with her co-stars in a way that many actresses can't. The chemistry she has with all her leading men makes you believe they are truly in love. I like both her and Rain but have to admit that I don't find him to be a gorgeous man, he's simply nice looking. I think there are many actors who are actually much more handsome.