Powerful Opponents (KBS2, 2008) [Chae Rim, Lee Jong Hyuk]

Discuss Korean drama series here.
guccijana

Powerful Opponents (KBS2, 2008) [Chae Rim, Lee Jong Hyuk]

Post by guccijana » Mar 17th, '08, 17:24

Chae Rim is selected to lead the Monday-Tuesday drama Powerful Opponents scheduled to be aired by KBS2 on 4/14, following the final episode of Single Papa is Falling in Love.

Chae Rim, aka plucky Dal Ja of last year’s hit romantic comedy series Dal Ja’s Spring, has been cast to headline the new KBS Monday-Tuesday drama series Rivals [강적들], which takes place in the Blue House (Cheongwadae), Korea’s presidential residence, opposite Lee Jong Hyuk and Lee Jin Wook.

Chae Rim’s character — energetic, prone to rashness — enters the Blue House as a new employee (security service agent) and rises to success; the series centers on “the world, the loves, and daily lives” of those in service in the Blue House.

Lee Jin Wook (Air City, Smile Again, Someday) takes the part of the president’s haughty, troublesome and rude son, while Lee Jong Hyuk (A Good Day to Have an Affair, A Dirty Carnival, Green Rose) is the dark horse of the presidential security service and Chae Rim’s colleague. Through them the drama will showcase lots of action and a look behind the scenes at the agents’ physical training, firearms drills, special guard duty, etc., while the three main characters (naturally!) fall into a love triangle. Some settings may be novel but the setup is as old as the form. Not that the presidential backdrop is entirely new — in 2006, there was the KBS four-episode mini-drama Special Crime Investigation: Murder in the Blue House [특수수사일지:1호관 사건]. And of course, there was also the Eugene/Lee Minki romantic comedy Really Really Like You, which took a more lighthearted approach.

The series will be directed by Han Joon Seo PD of Capital Scandal, and penned by writer Kang Eun Kyung of Dal Ja’s Spring, Bichunmu, and Hotelier. Rivals will take to air after Single Papa in Love finishes its run, premiering on April 14.

credits: http://www.dramabeans.com/2008/03/chae- ... lue-house/
http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html ... 1012541119
chae rim-

Lee Jin Wook-

I can't wait till this airs--sounds interesting--and Chae rim is great, especially after dal ja's spring..

yobuseyo

Post by yobuseyo » Apr 30th, '08, 14:22

i watched the first 4 episodes! and i like it very very much!!!
chae rim and lee jin wook!!!!!!

they'r greaat. you can get whatever you want! fun,dram,love!

leenzy

Post by leenzy » May 1st, '08, 02:20

erm, looking 4wd to watch it!!!....chayok WITHS2!!!...

sun#1

Post by sun#1 » May 3rd, '08, 02:32

I like Chae rim's acting in dalja
So I'm wating hers new drama
I think it will be funny and romantic)))

ImL0st

Post by ImL0st » May 3rd, '08, 03:16

Yeah, I watched and liked the first 4 eps :-)

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » May 4th, '08, 13:51

Hmm, watched the first 4 eps, and it's a bit mixed so far. There are some things which I find just ridiculous and unrealistic, like:

- Young Jin's family are just too annoying, if my family were that bloody stupid I'd have skipped the country long ago. They just can't help getting themselves into severe financial trouble and then the poor girl ends up bailing the idiots out, on at least a weekly basis it seems. How she manages to make enough money to feed herself is beyond me.

- Su Ho would have surely been sent to a desert island or something, he is just way out of control, and is endangering many people's lives and property. Thank goodness he may now be waking up and not behaving so stupidly. Hmm, isn't there compulsory national service, that would be a good idea.

- I'm not that familiar with South Korea's presidents, but the amount of security he has in the series must be substantially more than he has in real life. Looks like he has nearly as much as Dubya, who is surely hated by alot more people.

- security procedures seem lax, Young Jin gets out of a lift and just tells the President's guards she is one of them and they just let her past without recognising her or checking her identity? No wonder the President needs so many layers of protection.

- when Young Jin confronts the thugs after Su Ho, surely that situation warrants her taking out her gun? Why have it if you let yourself get beaten to a pulp? She would have failed in her mission if the thugs hadn't left.

- yes, I know that the above are likely in the series because they make it more spectacular and interesting, but still they annoy me.
Chae Rim is quite pretty, but the President's daughter and the girl from the Propaganda department are much better looking I reckon.

Hopefully things get less silly and unrealistic from here on.....

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Jun 23rd, '08, 08:37

I quite agree with aimlesswanderer. And things will get more unrealistic. I like this drama pretty much but there are moments when I just wanna throw my computer screen outta the window. Especially Young Jin has made so many mistakes that if I were her boss I would have kicked her out long ago. She has been late many times, lost Su Ho often and been unprofessional several times. Their boss is just too nice. And I gotta say that I'm abit disappointed with Chae Rim's acting or then I just hate her character. Young Jin is very annoying. I didn't know it's gonna be like this but when I watched more I slowly understood that Young Jin is slow, stupid and righteous to the point she lectures everybody. I hate to listen to her lectures, it's just too pure. And must she be so slow with love? I feel that Chae Rim is a bit tense all the time.

Young Jin's family is not that bad. So what if her dad is a dance teacher. I thought she was in terms with all that
When she was ashamed about her father... it made me a bit sad. First she lectured Gwan Pil about his daughter but she was unable to understand her own family. I really would have preferred Young Jin have a good relationship with her family and them spend more time together. Now it's like strangers living togehter. I personally like the idea of 3 generations and all similar loosers xD It was just too hilarious and witty

I like both Lee Jin Wook and Lee Jong Hyuk. Su Ho is a bit too ordinary character and Lee Jin woo couldn't make him colorful enough. Sometimes I like him but sometiems I don't feel a thing. As if he is not alive. Maybe because he doesn't feel realistic at times. Still, I like Lee Jin Wooks acting. He can express so many things with just his eyes. Lee Jong Hyuk surprised me. I never knew he would be that good. At first I thought "Darn, a no hot character" but he grew on me in the first episode alredy. Must be because Gwan Pil is so cute and lovable. Though in latter episodes he became too stubborn and cold. I liked his playful attitude in the beginning but as soon as things got serious he closed himself up. booring.

Yes. Romance lacks quite a bit. I really would like to Gwan Pil and Young Jin to end up together. They have great chemistry and they look good together. They are the perfect couple. But Lee Jin Wook's name was second on the list so guess Young Jun ends up with him... their chemistry is pretty weak. I can still hope, I have still 4 episodes to go.

About Ggot Nim
I don't like Kim Yoo Jung much. She was a lot better in Ilijmae. But I thought that the incident from past was very interesting. As I kept watching I just wanted to find out what in the world happened. And then I could alredy guess that Su Ho is the father. When they revealed it I could only shout ASSA! I knew it. Way to go. But still Gwan Pil doesn't sem as pitful as Sang Doo. And I really dunno what the hell does the sister have against him. It also seems like sister is a robot or something because she always talks about same things. "You must go away Gwan Pil." "Why did you come back?" "Su Ho, don't be like this" "What do you want Gwan Pil, why did you come back?" "Please, leave Su Ho's side. You are only making him suffer."

Danger Ghost

Post by Danger Ghost » Jun 27th, '08, 14:10

woooow :w00t: ....it's a greet drama and i like it soo much...
i watched until now 14 ep. on KBS....

i don't want it 2 finish neee~~
but in the latest 2 ep. they make me cry :cry:

any one searching 4 the OST just pm me and i'll send it 2 u :wink: ..

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Jul 3rd, '08, 14:51

maakopla wrote:I quite agree with aimlesswanderer. And things will get more unrealistic. I like this drama pretty much but there are moments when I just wanna throw my computer screen outta the window. Especially Young Jin has made so many mistakes that if I were her boss I would have kicked her out long ago. She has been late many times, lost Su Ho often and been unprofessional several times. Their boss is just too nice. And I gotta say that I'm abit disappointed with Chae Rim's acting or then I just hate her character. Young Jin is very annoying. I didn't know it's gonna be like this but when I watched more I slowly understood that Young Jin is slow, stupid and righteous to the point she lectures everybody. I hate to listen to her lectures, it's just too pure. And must she be so slow with love? I feel that Chae Rim is a bit tense all the time.

Young Jin's family is not that bad. So what if her dad is a dance teacher. I thought she was in terms with all that
When she was ashamed about her father... it made me a bit sad. First she lectured Gwan Pil about his daughter but she was unable to understand her own family. I really would have preferred Young Jin have a good relationship with her family and them spend more time together. Now it's like strangers living togehter. I personally like the idea of 3 generations and all similar loosers xD It was just too hilarious and witty

I like both Lee Jin Wook and Lee Jong Hyuk. Su Ho is a bit too ordinary character and Lee Jin woo couldn't make him colorful enough. Sometimes I like him but sometiems I don't feel a thing. As if he is not alive. Maybe because he doesn't feel realistic at times. Still, I like Lee Jin Wooks acting. He can express so many things with just his eyes. Lee Jong Hyuk surprised me. I never knew he would be that good. At first I thought "Darn, a no hot character" but he grew on me in the first episode alredy. Must be because Gwan Pil is so cute and lovable. Though in latter episodes he became too stubborn and cold. I liked his playful attitude in the beginning but as soon as things got serious he closed himself up. booring.

Yes. Romance lacks quite a bit. I really would like to Gwan Pil and Young Jin to end up together. They have great chemistry and they look good together. They are the perfect couple. But Lee Jin Wook's name was second on the list so guess Young Jun ends up with him... their chemistry is pretty weak. I can still hope, I have still 4 episodes to go.

About Ggot Nim
I don't like Kim Yoo Jung much. She was a lot better in Ilijmae. But I thought that the incident from past was very interesting. As I kept watching I just wanted to find out what in the world happened. And then I could alredy guess that Su Ho is the father. When they revealed it I could only shout ASSA! I knew it. Way to go. But still Gwan Pil doesn't sem as pitful as Sang Doo. And I really dunno what the hell does the sister have against him. It also seems like sister is a robot or something because she always talks about same things. "You must go away Gwan Pil." "Why did you come back?" "Su Ho, don't be like this" "What do you want Gwan Pil, why did you come back?" "Please, leave Su Ho's side. You are only making him suffer."
You're right, presumably the president's bodyguards would be held to an extremely high standard, and by that standard she'd have been kicked out long ago. Young Jin is just annoying. Her family, and the fact that all 3 generations of guys are completely useless, borrowing money from dodgy money lenders, gambling away what they do have, not being responsible at all, that's hopeless to me!
Well, I might half watch the rest of the series, fast forwarding the boring bits, I'm not sure. After 6 eps the silliness and stupidity is getting a bit out of hand, and the characters are generally not interesting, a big problem.

Danger Ghost

Post by Danger Ghost » Jul 7th, '08, 15:13

Powerful Opponents OST

Description: Full album with 20 tracks
File Size: 73.12mb

Download Powerful Opponents OST

enjoy with the OST guys

*jaa ne*

teemu8

Post by teemu8 » Jul 7th, '08, 16:55

thanks for the OST :salut:

Sak

Post by Sak » Jul 8th, '08, 23:16

I finished watching it a yesterday and the ending wasm't too clear. It sort of left it hanging and viewers wondering. :whistling:

conmeocho

Post by conmeocho » Jul 22nd, '08, 10:35

yea i was confused at the ending
wasn't chae rim walking, how come it shows her in a wheelchair in the meadow with her dad talking? who does she end up with??? i wanted it to be the colleague to end up with her, the other guy seemed too...not right for her

aimlesswanderer

Post by aimlesswanderer » Jul 27th, '08, 07:27

conmeocho wrote:yea i was confused at the ending
wasn't chae rim walking, how come it shows her in a wheelchair in the meadow with her dad talking? who does she end up with??? i wanted it to be the colleague to end up with her, the other guy seemed too...not right for her
Well, having half watched, half skipped the last 10 eps, I'd guess that the wheelchair scene was a flashback to shortly after she was shot. Maybe they added that scene where she was back at work to let everyone know that she recovered fine, and then the rest was to show what was happening in the meantime?

In the absence of any other hints it does seem to suggest that she ends up with Su Ho. After he gets his crud together he is actually not that bad, but before that he's completely useless. The kid was right when she said he looked like a mess with that weird hairstyle.

The way they set up the climax was really quite silly though, there were some moon sized plot holes. Like not figuring out that the last guy who was fired was up to something, gawd, was he ever a candidate for "top of the grudge list"? And the bizzare situation that he managed to run off and ONLY be chased by Gwan Pil despite being surrounded by 5 of them, just how useless are they? Ok, so the plot was 'better' with what happened, but still. Oh yeah, and how when Young Jin was wrestling for the pistol, why didn't anyone help by whacking him on the head? What is the use of numbers if you just stand around and watch?

Definitely an interesting drama in places, but also very frustrating in many. Hence lots of skipping the silly bits.

I can only hope that the real presidential guards aren't anywhere near so clueless, or he and his family are in big trouble.

fizzlex3mh

Post by fizzlex3mh » Dec 23rd, '08, 00:43

I have heard many bad things about this drama - "ridiculous" being the word people keep using to describe it. I also know that in the end, Chae Rim's character doesn't end up with either of the two, which is the type of ending I hate the most. Still, I would like to see Lee Jong Hyuk in an actual lead role. This man is insanely sexy, but unfortunately always gets cast as the bad guy.