[Discussion] Maou (Ohno Satoshi & Ikuta Toma)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Egg-chan

[Discussion] Maou (Ohno Satoshi & Ikuta Toma)

Post by Egg-chan » May 9th, '08, 16:36

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Maou

Synopsis:
This drama is a remake of the popular suspense drama that was aired in Korea last year. Ohno Satoshi will be playing the role of a two-faced lawyer, one of which is a kind hearted soul and the other who is plotting revenge, using his brilliant mind, on the person who killed his relative. On the other hand, Ikuta Toma will play the double lead role of the man, who has become a detective due to his dark past, who is pursuing the mysterious series of murders and fighting against the devil (maou).

**Video Clips on the Web** ^^

Short video clip from Veoh of news about the drama
Ohno's face is funny when the lady says V6 instead of Arashi XD
TFP2 2008.06.30
Maou CM

Ohno Satoshi and Ikuta Toma in a drama together?! I can't believe this :O If I'm not mistaken this is Ohno's first leading role.. and well, everyone loves Toma right about now :wink:
Last edited by Egg-chan on Jul 3rd, '08, 04:10, edited 2 times in total.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » May 9th, '08, 18:14

I read about this all over Livejournal and over at Aibakaland~ XD

Really shocking (but great!) that Ohno's the main male lead and Toma's the second lead. :)

hmmm...sounds like the story based on the kdrama, "The Devil". Unfortunately, I never got around to finishing it because I found it a little too dark towards the 7th episode.

But to see Ohno with black hair, I'm willing to give this one a chance!! <3

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 9th, '08, 18:25

Leader! Yay! Lol, um.... I may actually watch this because its Ohno in a lead role and hell, its Box-kun.

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » May 9th, '08, 18:33

Hmm looks like there has only been Ohno fans posting here so I'll get the Toma ball rolling. xD

Wow, a new drama with Toma in it! And this looks like a very complex role, it's awesome that he's dabbling into more adventurous roles. And he looks great in that darker, shorter haircut! It's refreshing. *giggle* I love the thought that I'll be seeing Toma in a drama every season. ((:

As for Ohno, I don't know that much about him but I do know that he's the comedian in Arashi so it should be interesting to watch him play such a dark character.
This remake... Is it of the Korean drama called "Mawang"??

Anyways this is really great news, and I'll definitely watch it. I need some dark dramas to get my brain's clockwork turning in all sorts of directions sometimes. (For now it's already turning because of Last Friends =P)

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » May 9th, '08, 18:45

^^Yeah it's Mawang. untitledmelody, I'm a Toma fan but I'm also a Riida fan :thumleft: I will be looking forward to this drama. I've yet to watch drama genres like this before so why not start with Toma and Riida! :alcoholic:

I'm anxious to find out who the female actress will be supporting them. I heard a rumor about it being Inoue Mao, but it looks doubtful now since the drama is named MAOU and there might've been a mix up :lol

marspeach

Post by marspeach » May 9th, '08, 18:49

It sounds really good! I haven't seen The Devil yet but I have the files downloaded so I should get around to it before I watch this. I love Ikuta Toma.

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » May 9th, '08, 18:55

atskv9: Have you changed your taste from Maki to Mao?? xDD Your current avatar is showing Mao.
And that's funny how people mixed her up with the title of this drama.
Yeah I checked on DramaWiki and Mawang stars the guy from Goong and the girl from A Love to Kill huh... Looks like a good drama but can't watch it now since I'm already following three doramas at the mo. Guess I'll just let myself be surprised by the Japanese Maou. (:

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » May 9th, '08, 19:31

If they want to remake a quality drama they should at least match a quality cast like Korea did for White Tower :roll

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » May 9th, '08, 19:38

untitledmelody: lol they both have a special place in my heart XD I found a Mao pic I particularly liked so I changed it. It could change back to Maki eventually, we'll see :whistling:
Yeah it's funny how people make mistakes with rumors like that and then everyone gets excited all for nothing :glare: I wouldn't mind seeing Maki in this role also but this looks like a darn mature drama. However Toma is pretty young as well. Let's hope he can do well in a role like this. I can't wait to see Riida act too. The only bit of acting I've ever seen him do was on Utaban (the Valentine's Day one), acting out a scene of HYD with a younger girl. I thought he played it well :thumright:
Maou is probably still a ways off so you might have time to finish those three dramas before it starts!

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » May 9th, '08, 19:57

lol I'm an Ohno and Toma fan so this is like awesome news~ It's supposed to begin airing in July I believe. ^^

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » May 9th, '08, 20:26

I'm totally over excited when I heard this news XD Finally Riida got into a drama & as lead!!
yea, I remember that eps of Utaban, Riida acting seems pretty decent, he can be serious when he needs to ^^
I'm really looking forward to the collab Toma&Ohno, looks like there'll be run & pursuit lol
About the female lead, so far I haven't heard any rumor/news, but I think with 2 Johnny, her role will not be that important.. you get what I mean? ^^; I even doubt that they'll put any romance in it at all lol I haven't watched the korean vers but my friends said it has a tragic ending, well, who expected happy ending in a suspense drama ^^; ?

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 9th, '08, 22:13

I've very excited! I love Riida and Toma, so I hope that this will be good. It will be good seeing Riida in a drama, and I love his dark hair. I hope that it is really dark - I don't know why, but I'm in the mood for something black. :)

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 9th, '08, 22:18

I keep reading Riida as Rider (Even tho rider is ライダー). ._.

リーダ X
リーダー O

If you want to say Leader in Japanese, its Riidaa.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 9th, '08, 23:09

I'm looking forward to this one. Riida gets a leading role finally! He seems pretty good from the other performances I've seen, so it should be very interesting to see him in something dark. (And I don't just mean the lovely dark hair! :wub: )

Looking forward to more Toma too. He does look mighty fine in that picture, and he's been fairly impressive in the roles I've caught him in.

baka-ranger
Location: Either in Jap Disneyland or at the JE building stalking or recruiting boybands to join my JE Yakuza

Post by baka-ranger » May 10th, '08, 00:55

^ Yes, FINALLY! Riida actually gets to play the main lead. I only ever see him appear in dramas at most. Its so great cause he's acting with Toma. I wish the drama was more of a comedy cause its sounds more like a thriller to me. Cause if they did a comedy together that'd be the best, since I find them both best when they're being stupid XD

I can't wait to watch it Congratulations to Oh-Chan and Toma-kun ~(^o^~)...now I need to fangirl:wub: over it to all my friends...even though they all don't know who ohno and toma are besides like two people.

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » May 10th, '08, 00:58

^baka-ranger^ I totally know what you mean T_T My friends don't know them either.. LET'S FANGIRL TOGETHER! :wub:

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 10th, '08, 02:28

a place to flail! YEY!

I'm UBER excited about this :DDDD
A little rambling about Ohno Satoshi. i hope you guys don't mind ^^;;;
Ohno is an unknown to the drama regulars .This is the FIRST time Ohno has a proper role in a drama and he is the LEAD. Most of us knew him for his spaced out character in Arashi as well as his comedic performance in movies (almost all with Arashi) and rea, REALLY short guest appearance in dramas starring Arashi members... ok, he's usually seen on screen with Arashi. Anyways, he got some small screen experience in Johnny's related dramas & varieties (Engimono series, Johnny's Junior) but other than that, he's better known for his stageplays like what had been noted in various articles on Maou. I have a feeling the producers got a glimpse of his intensity on stage in "Amatsukaze", his most recent play which just ended last week. The character he was playing is somewhat similar to the lawyer in Maou. I hope he can carry the same intensity on screen. However I’m a bit worried because he did mention once that he dislike being in dramas and prefer stageplays so my fingers, arms, and legs are crossed that he will deliver the best performance and surprise everybody. My other worry is they will water down the romance element, which is typical of any Japanese adaptation. Please let there be some romance *fingers,arms,legscrossed* It’s a clever gamble for them to put Ohno as the lead. People just might tune in out of curiosity. Maybe he can rival Nakai performance in Suna no Utsuwa XP.
… all the best to you Ohno-san

Also, its the first TOMA lead role too. Toma has worked with Ohno before in West Side Story. I'm really glad he's the second lead. They have great chemistry together on stage, Ohno as the gang leader and Toma his underling. i have no doubts about him in this role. He'll be great.

Reading the original synopsis, there's suppose to be a love tringle. The leading lady must have great chemistry with Ohno rather than Toma... so Horikita Maki is out of the question. People will want Toma ending up with Maki which is oppose to the original storyline. I'm hoping for a fresh new talent.. and she better be small and cute :P
WroW wrote:If they want to remake a quality drama they should at least match a quality cast like Korea did for White Tower :roll
well.. you can't judge the cast until you've seen the performance.
the original Mawang cast was superb.
admittedly Maou got a very FRESH cast. i think they are aiming for an adaptation rather than a remake.
Last edited by aishoni2 on May 10th, '08, 02:40, edited 2 times in total.

a_petite_azn

Post by a_petite_azn » May 10th, '08, 02:34

I was expecting that a thread for this drama would pop up soon!

But, yay another drama role for Toma :cheers: I'm so proud of him for having such diverse roles, and I can't wait to see him play a more dark and serious character.

I don't really know Ohno Satoshi, but his character sounds really cool, a lawyer with a "two faced personality".

Can't wait until this comes out! Wonder who the female character will be, the one with the psychic abilities.

Ooh and for those who haven't seen the cms (posted by kinakina1):

toma-rabu

Post by toma-rabu » May 10th, '08, 07:53

untitledmelody wrote:Hmm looks like there has only been Ohno fans posting here so I'll get the Toma ball rolling. xD
Haha, I saw the thread earlier but didn't want to be the second post. *shy Toma fan*

I'm definitely excited to see Toma in this role. Seems like he's never afraid to challenge himself. Can't wait to see his detective. I've never seen the Kdrama, but I'll probably wait to try it after the Japanese version. I want to be surprised and FRESH. lol. Excited for Ohno too. I've never seen him act before, so I'm curious for sure. :cheers:

July seems so far away now...

WinterParade

Post by WinterParade » May 10th, '08, 10:55

WroW wrote:If they want to remake a quality drama they should at least match a quality cast like Korea did for White Tower :roll
I have my doubts about the cast too but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Sounds like the storyline has somewhat changed with Ohno's character taking the lead. The lawyer was actually the second male lead in Mawang while Toma's character, the cop, was the male lead. I wonder who the female lead will be. I thought Mawang had a fabulous cast so I hope these actors really try their best to preserve that quality.

*waves Toma pom poms*

hidayahhh

Post by hidayahhh » May 10th, '08, 11:38

yay :cheers: riidaa got his first leading role ever in drama. Im sure it'll be the most anticipated drama of the year. I know i'm exaggerating a bit but at least it is for me :wub: . and with ikuta toma in the drama as well. oh my, i'm in high tension all of the sudden :w00t: . riidaa saikou!!

oh btw, when is it gonna come out? in july?

N-chan

Post by N-chan » May 10th, '08, 13:20

Yay for Ikuta Toma :cheers:

At least the character that he will be playing in won't be as screwed as the last one that he played in as Takemoto in Honey and Clover

nehlong

Post by nehlong » May 10th, '08, 16:05

remake of mawang? REALLY? i LOVELOVE loved mawang , i hope this one is just as good, although i'll mostly be watching for toma and ohno :]]]

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 10th, '08, 16:41

Wow, July at 10 oclock at night. Awesome, its going to be deep and scary! I can't wait, I love deep and scary dramas. Need that suspense. It its finally going to awesome to see Box-kun outside of a goofy character. For reals.

rlia

Post by rlia » May 11th, '08, 08:48

wooops...
i'm afraid to comment here, since all of you guys are ohno & toma's fans
but me, i'm now a j-fangirl, but i am still a JOO JI HOON's fan...
and i love love his acting as an evil lawyer who wants to revenge for his brother's death...
and uhm tae woong superb acting skill as a cop...
and shin min ah's crying skill and acting skill...

honestly i doubt about this drama...
but we'll see it soon, right...?!

a2a

Post by a2a » May 11th, '08, 09:44

I'm also excited too! I almost had a heart attack when I read Oh-chan's name in drama wiki. Next to Toma's nontheless! I never expected it cause Ohno had stated before that he doen't like filming dramas cause he believes in theater the most. That dark role must have really won him over! Being a major Arashi fangirl I'm extremely happy! :cheers:
Oh-chan deserves becoming known in the drama world as well! His theater performances are superb!

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 11th, '08, 20:55

rlia wrote:wooops...
i'm afraid to comment here, since all of you guys are ohno & toma's fans
but me, i'm now a j-fangirl, but i am still a JOO JI HOON's fan...
and i love love his acting as an evil lawyer who wants to revenge for his brother's death...
and uhm tae woong superb acting skill as a cop...
and shin min ah's crying skill and acting skill...

honestly i doubt about this drama...
but we'll see it soon, right...?!
Same here. The kdrama was brilliant with a more mature n unique storyline. A real wonder to see if Ohno n Toma can match up to Joo Jin hoon n Uhm Tae Woong's superb acting. Lookin fwd to finding out who wins the female lead role.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 12th, '08, 06:46

it seems like i'm stalking joykimlee o.0
just a mere coincidence ^^

i prefer if this thread to be open for discussion rather than just flailing for ohno and toma.
Although i haven't watched the whole original version, i believe from all the raves and the plot itself, its an excellent drama with great performance. Ohno & Toma got a lot of pressure to match the expectation. All the best to both of them.

Some question to those who have watched Mawang:
- Is the age of the detective the same as the brother that was murdered?
- So this mean, the lawyer is avenging his OLDER brother death right? (the news did mention Ohno character avenging his brother's death)
If this is so, they have switched the characters age. Maybe it's not as parallel to the original plot as expected. Even the characterization of the leads might change according to the actors. Hopefully not much. I would love for them to stay true with the essence of Mawang.

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » May 12th, '08, 07:04

wow, K-dramas must be really popular in JAPAN, more and more remakes. I'm gonna be neutral about this.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 12th, '08, 07:36

BOGCHI wrote:wow, K-dramas must be really popular in JAPAN, more and more remakes. I'm gonna be neutral about this.

That's an understatement! XD K-dramas are HUGE over there.

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 12th, '08, 13:37

aishoni2 wrote:it seems like i'm stalking joykimlee o.0
- So this mean, the lawyer is avenging his OLDER brother death right? (the news did mention Ohno character avenging his brother's death)
If this is so, they have switched the characters age. Maybe it's not as parallel to the original plot as expected. Even the characterization of the leads might change according to the actors. Hopefully not much. I would love for them to stay true with the essence of Mawang.
Yes, the lawyer avenged his older brother's death. Lawyer (Joo Ji Hoon) was definitely much younger than Detective (Uhm Tae Woong) in Mawang.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 13th, '08, 04:04

joykimlee wrote:
aishoni2 wrote:it seems like i'm stalking joykimlee o.0
Yes, the lawyer avenged his older brother's death. Lawyer (Joo Ji Hoon) was definitely much younger than Detective (Uhm Tae Woong) in Mawang.
they will have to change a lot of the original storyline since he is avenging his younger brother (i assume). i don't think the young detective would have killed someone older... the change will give a good premise to a fresh adaptation.

two actresses have announced their involvement in the drama. Kobayashi Ryoko & Misa Uehara. Roles still unknown. The female roles i know are the lady detective, the sister in-law, the blind girl (not too sure) and the psychometry lady.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 13th, '08, 17:01

I just hope it doesn't come out as flat as that one K-Drama adaptation, Hotelier. That was really flat.....

da1andonli49

STORMY Team Sub will be subbing this drama

Post by da1andonli49 » May 13th, '08, 20:47

I just want to let everyone know STORMY team sub will be subbing this drama.

fansub map

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 13th, '08, 20:49

It doesn't even take a week before groups jump on these dramas, lol.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 14th, '08, 05:42

the guy who had a crush on Taro (Nino) in Yamada Taro Monogatari will be acting in Maou.
I can't remember his name and to lazy to find a link. :P

ummm... can someone please fix the thread title? Ikuta Toma name is incomplete. Pretty please.

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » May 14th, '08, 16:25

aishoni2 wrote:ummm... can someone please fix the thread title? Ikuta Toma name is incomplete. Pretty please.
It's too long to fit his name I guess.. T_T sorry..

a2a

Post by a2a » May 14th, '08, 17:31

aishoni2 wrote:the guy who had a crush on Taro (Nino) in Yamada Taro Monogatari will be acting in Maou.
I can't remember his name and to lazy to find a link. :P
Shugo Oshinari? OMG! I love him! Lovely cast so far!! ^^

darkladynitewolf

Post by darkladynitewolf » May 14th, '08, 20:47

Its gonna be very hard to sit and wait until July to watch this. I've been hoping that Riidaa would be casted in a drama for awhile now. I think he's really good at acting. But seriously, having Riidaa and Toma in the same drama? It's an overload of the senses. lol :wub:
Last edited by darkladynitewolf on May 14th, '08, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 14th, '08, 20:51

omgits(riidaa)not(riida)sdklgjsdl;kgjsdg

Hi guys ^_^

I have three dramas to get me by until July, the wait isn't going to be that big for me :3

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 15th, '08, 00:35

my dunadan (@jdorama) posted about another cast
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Shinohara_Mai

cute. will she be psychometry lady? jeng, jeng, jeng....

owh.. the title is too long.. maybe we can change it a bit Egg-chan. Just drop both of their names all together >D. he he he. sorry for being occ *sweat*. or just "Ohno & Toma"

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 15th, '08, 01:50

I was thinking Ohno/Toma would be just fine....

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 15th, '08, 02:05

Ladymercury wrote:I was thinking Ohno/Toma would be just fine....
how bout riida and tomato?
*flaunting my butt at lady.m to be kicked*
huhuhu. putting the "/" in between them just remind me of the anon fic meme at lj >D. the minds of fangirls are just so amusing.

geh. the wait is too long. i'm goin to watch the whole Mawang.. if my connection allowed the streaming.

LukiaWhitney

Post by LukiaWhitney » May 15th, '08, 02:15

Well, I'll definitely be watching this. The K-Version was good, except that the detective (not joo ji-hoon, guy from choon-hyang) looked like he was too old/too much makeup. I don't think he's supposed to be too much older. Not sure. But the plot still reminds me of Death Note (which I love).

I do hope they cast the psychometry (?) girl right. If they don't, it won't make this drama worth it.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 15th, '08, 02:24

LukiaWhitney wrote: I do hope they cast the psychometry (?) girl right. If they don't, it won't make this drama worth it.
she's essential to the plot so i guess she's in. but very little romance :(. just a speculation though.

the female cast already announced:
Kobayashi Ryoko, Uehara Misa, Shinohara Mai.

Pick and choose who will play what ^^V

kozumifan

Post by kozumifan » May 15th, '08, 02:25

wow! i didnt know about this :O
omedetou riida! your first lead role.
im looking forward for this! cant miss riida's drama~

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » May 15th, '08, 04:34

Egg-chan wrote:
aishoni2 wrote:ummm... can someone please fix the thread title? Ikuta Toma name is incomplete. Pretty please.
It's too long to fit his name I guess.. T_T sorry..
Just remove the "Upcoming" when it's finally airing :lol

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 15th, '08, 04:54

aishoni2 wrote:
huhuhu. putting the "/" in between them just remind me of the anon fic meme at lj >D. the minds of fangirls are just so amusing.

geh. the wait is too long. i'm goin to watch the whole Mawang.. if my connection allowed the streaming.

Gehhh? Oh well, I'm just correcting your failed Japanese. Take it or leave it. :whistling:

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 15th, '08, 05:38

Ladymercury wrote:
aishoni2 wrote:

Gehhh? Oh well, I'm just correcting your failed Japanese. Take it or leave it. :whistling:
LOLz. just having fun with your pet peeves yo! XD. i'm nihongo zenzen wakaranai orz. just a kick will do. ^^v
i usually refers Ohno as leader rather than riidaa anyways.

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » May 15th, '08, 05:56

I realize we could be getting offtopic with the proper way to say Ohno's nicknames but I'll get my two cents in... I only ever see it written as "Riida" and I'm not doubting your abilities but it's just a habit at this point to misspell it :lol And here I thought I was saying it right all along but as it just so turns out, everyone's doing it wrong :whistling:

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 15th, '08, 06:17

Nonono, I understand. I just have this thing, like nails on a chalk board, when I see something literally written wrong. Please, forget me XD I know fandom has been saying it that way for like 8 years XD It's just a habit to correct.

OMG, we should get on topic. :(

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 15th, '08, 06:35

and on with the topic! :D

currently watching Mawang on streaming and dayem... the lawyer character so smart.
the drama plot is smart. i love the way they inserted about "Faust" the legend about making a pack with the devil. It is said that those who had made the pack will have his soul and body owned by the devil on his 27th year. Ohno Satoshi is 27. >D

eeeeekk.. i'm afraid i'll be comparing between the original and the japan version. this is not good. should stop watching mawang but it's just too compelling :(

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 15th, '08, 06:46

Technically, the word isn't Japanese... it's just their pronunciation of an English word, which they would write in katakana rather than romaji anyhow. Hence, this whole thing really centers around their failed English being rewritten into English. People in the fandom are just being cute by mimicking the pronunciation. As such, I find the whole right/wrong debate rather pointless in the grand scheme of things. :lol

dirujjj

Post by dirujjj » May 15th, '08, 08:20

I'm so excited for this drama ^^ and Ohno finally getting a lead drama role is just a dream come true :-)
I'm watching the korean version now just so i can compare with the jdrama & get a feel for Ohno's character ^^
really excited to see Toma too ^^

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 15th, '08, 13:13

to add on to the debate, it also depends on what style of romaji you use etc. For instance, in my style of romaji, Ohno's name would be Oono. However, in all the magazines his name is romazied as Ohno. I believe it is also "Riida" as well, but I'd have to flick through my magazines again to make sure, I could be wrong there.

Just as Tokyo is wrong as well, it's how it is accepted to be written in English. I'm not one to always follow a crowd, but it seems to me that "Riida" is the accepted form for leader in this case.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 15th, '08, 16:18

That's why I just say Leader and forget trying to replace every English word I know with something Japanese. (but if you look at a dictionary leader written in katakana is リーダー where the vowels are elongated) :D

Anyway~ I don't want to watch the Korean version because I'm going to be too over analytical of the Japanese version... and I can get very critical, especially if I end up liking the show. Just like with Zettai Kareshi, I'm not as excited to watch it anymore because its loosely adapting the manga and killing some of the things I liked about the original story. Meh.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 15th, '08, 18:22

Ladymercury wrote:Anyway~ I don't want to watch the Korean version because I'm going to be too over analytical of the Japanese version... and I can get very critical, especially if I end up liking the show. Just like with Zettai Kareshi, I'm not as excited to watch it anymore because its loosely adapting the manga and killing some of the things I liked about the original story. Meh.

I just finished ranting about that show in my LJ. LOL Finally decided to drop it, since the characterizations and certain story changes were just annoying me more than the good stuff was pleasing me. So I know how you feel. (Though honestly that drama would annoy me without ever having read the manga.) Some loose adaptations I enjoy even with the differences, and some I loathe. As a result, I don't intend to watch the original until after seeing this series either.

@GoddessCarlie

Yeah, I always spell him Ohno, but for the romanization I follow it would normally be Ouno.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 15th, '08, 19:13

The original manga was cliche shoujo but it was good cliche that you actually enjoyed to read it. It was high school, it was dorky, and you just fell in love with the characters. Gaki was more of a dork, Soushi was an adorable nerd, and Night was well... Night. Riko was also more carefree and loving. The role reversals, the up in ages, and switches in the drama is like " Ah! I love these actors! But augh! My characters! Why!! "

I was so excited because I'm a huge Hiro Mizushima fan (been so for like 2 years now) and a Mokomichi fan... but.... even I couldn't swallow the rapid changes in the original storyline.

Oh well~ At least I have the manga. I really hoped this drama would be as cute as it though :/

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 15th, '08, 23:26

Ladymercury wrote:I really hoped this drama would be as cute as it though :/
you mean this drama?
well... for a crime angsty drama, i prefer it not to be cute.
however, i'm just hoping they're not going totally japanese with this and thus turning it into a manga-like adaptation instead. don't want. :pale:
i'm hoping for a mature drama, something like Sora Kara Furu.. sumthing2 ("1million stars falling frm the sky" by Takuya Kimura).

imo.. you guys are getting way off topic XD

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 15th, '08, 23:38

... No, not this one, Zettai Kareshi.

There isn't really much to talk about with no information really out about the show besides a synopsis and actor list. lol.
Last edited by Ladymercury on May 15th, '08, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

jeanzaddict

Post by jeanzaddict » May 15th, '08, 23:39

i cant wait and dont wanna watch the korean version first (even though my fingers are itching, trying to browse for the korean version, hehe) cuz i dont wanna be disappointed of losing surprises when i watch the japanese version, hehe :D.

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » May 16th, '08, 02:54

From Jdorama.com:
dunadan wrote:There seems to be a lot of actresses casted for this drama. Here's another:

吉瀬美智子 / Kichise Michiko (her website)

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 16th, '08, 03:16

thanks dun! and atskv9 for posting it up :D
She's the lady with blond wig in Nodame.

so we have in total 4 confirmed actresses and 3 actors.
I gave up with guessing which actors to what role. XD
am waiting for announcement by the veteran actors though. their presence will greatly effect the whole feel/direction of the drama.

yamapina

Post by yamapina » May 16th, '08, 16:28

I'm so happy for Riida, I know that he will be very good :cheers:

Someone know who will subbed the drama? :scratch:

Rori

Post by Rori » May 16th, '08, 16:38

yamapina wrote:I'm so happy for Riida, I know that he will be very good :cheers:

Someone know who will subbed the drama? :scratch:
STORMY team (hardsubs) according to the fansub map:

http://fansub.d-addicts.com/Jdrama_Fans ... ummer_2008

yamapina

Post by yamapina » May 16th, '08, 16:46

Thank you very much!!!! :D

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 16th, '08, 21:19

There'll be casting for Maou extras for filmings scheduled on the 25 & 26 May.
- Passerby in the crowd (Tokyo)
- Church scene (Tokyo)
- Court scene (Saitama) ~~~~~ *ahsdfhgalkhflawyerOhnogfjhglfgahgsl*
- Library (Kanagawa) ~~~~ *adgfkjadsgfjOhno/PsychometryLadyfdsahfljlakj*

For more information visit the website: http://www.tbs.co.jp/extra-boshu/boshu.htm
Those who are interested and LIVING IN JAPAN (luckysadsjhglkj) can apply.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 20th, '08, 13:08

This is the time where I wished I was over there right now, lol.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 22nd, '08, 08:11

just finished watching Mawang... yesterday.
*fiddles fingers*
Its not your typical murder mystery drama. the focus was more on the humanity of the characters. It was heart felt, dark and thought provoking. A beautiful and sad human drama.
Read the google translated Maou website. It seems like they are going along the same vein... *prays*

FYI:
The producer (the same YTM producer) is also a director and has directed the award winning dark drama Byakuyaku starring Ayase Haruka & Yamada Takayuki. The appointed director for Maou has directed Kimmi Wa Petto and Stand Up!. I believe he'll do well tackling a different genre.

i hope they will have a heartwrenching OST for Maou. and Ohno singing.. maybe Toma too.
i wouldn't mind if they redo the Korean theme song in Japanese.

sungie

Post by sungie » May 22nd, '08, 17:37

atskv9 wrote:From Jdorama.com:
dunadan wrote:There seems to be a lot of actresses casted for this drama. Here's another:

I seriously don't get this.. Korean version only has one female lead + two females (a detective and the mother of female lead) that appear more or less often..

I really like it that Ohno finally acts in a drama - lead. But remake of The Devil, which is one of my fave k-dramas ever, is killing me. I cannot watch the drama without comparing it to the Korean version, unfortunately. And even though I like both Ohno and Toma, I think Korean cast is so much better..

Hopefully they don't mess up the whole story even if there are some changes. I wonder who performs the theme song for the drama..

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » May 22nd, '08, 22:01

sungie wrote:I wonder who performs the theme song for the drama..
I'd totally be down with a Ohno/Toma group, similar to Shuuji to Akira :lol

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 22nd, '08, 22:29

sungie wrote:
atskv9 wrote:From Jdorama.com:

I seriously don't get this.. Korean version only has one female lead + two females (a detective and the mother of female lead) that appear more or less often..

I really like it that Ohno finally acts in a drama - lead. But remake of The Devil, which is one of my fave k-dramas ever, is killing me. I cannot watch the drama without comparing it to the Korean version, unfortunately. And even though I like both Ohno and Toma, I think Korean cast is so much better..

Hopefully they don't mess up the whole story even if there are some changes. I wonder who performs the theme song for the drama..
well... the actresses that have announced their involvement on official blogs/ personal website didn't actually say which role they are playing. maybe some are just minor characters (reminds me of the fuss on Yamada Yuu brothr's acting debut in YTM... and that was even announced in the news)

actually if they are making it as parallel to the original, the roles for the actresses will be these (according to est. time on screen):
- Psychometry girl (probably shinohara mai, she even got a character name. eri sumthing)
- Lady detective
- Detective's sister in-law
- Psychometry girl's mom
- Lawyer's blind sister (important character)
- Sora's mom
- Psy girl's friend/ tarot cafe owner
there's 4 actresses known now.

Furthermore, the male characters are by far more important than the females so maybe they are carefully selecting the actors. who knows XP.

i'm keeping my judgement about the cast until I saw them perform on screen. Ohno & Toma tend to surprise me with their acting, which they did watching a fan cam of West Side Story. However, Uhm Tae Woong and JJH had done a great job. I will try to be neutral about this.
i do love, LOVE the original and the cast and without doubt we will loose some of the essence of Mawang just by comparing the characters age. the Maou team needs to do well so the pressure is on them. All the best to them.

ohno/toma emo theme song will be awesome :p
Last edited by aishoni2 on May 23rd, '08, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » May 23rd, '08, 06:36

I'll have to agree with the Ohno x Toma theme song! TOTALLY WANT!!

totally_0bsessed

Post by totally_0bsessed » May 24th, '08, 06:50

0hno & t0ma ost would be great... :cheers:

Maou would be something to really look forward in JuLy... :w00t:

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 24th, '08, 06:55

atskv9 wrote:
sungie wrote:I wonder who performs the theme song for the drama..
I'd totally be down with a Ohno/Toma group, similar to Shuuji to Akira :lol
What an awesome idea! Best idea of the century.