Jikou Keisatsu
Last Christmas
Ganbatte Ikimashoi
Security Police
Saito San
Ashita no Kita Yoshio
Around 40
Ryokiteki na Kanojo
I liked Ganbatte ikimashoi. You should always watch 3-4 episoded before judging a dorama. Trust me, sometimes there is just a lot to set up, before the story gets good.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » May 12th, '08, 21:31

lomsie wrote:
Ladymercury wrote: But if you're looking for actual storyline, don't bother. It's slapped in there between really stupid scenes with the guys.
Yes...that's what I was trying to get at! Haha. Hana Kimi has no storyline, nor any journeys that the characters go on. And no, Sano's "I can jump again" story does not count. It was handled terribly. It's all "ikemen". If that's what you like, then go for it.

wow, I didn't know I hated it as much as this before I posted on this thread!

That honestly was a waste of time. Really, their love story was handled so bad by the 7th episode I was just only watching it for the dorms.
joykimlee wrote:Couldn't watch past ep 1:
Hotelier
Hahaha! I forgot about this one! Shows you how much I didn't like this one (and funny cause i provided the first two raws for it). I think Aya Uetowahtever dramas are HIGHLY overrated.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 12th, '08, 22:05

Ladymercury wrote:
Hotelier
Hahaha! I forgot about this one! Shows you how much I didn't like this one (and funny cause i provided the first two raws for it). I think Aya Uetowahtever dramas are HIGHLY overrated.
LOL I think the only thing any of us watched that show for was Oikawa Mitsuhiro... and even he couldn't save that one. I don't mind a bit of soapiness (I love HYD afterall.), but this one had bad plot changes, mostly flat characters (all but one character iirc), and for some inexplicable reason it suddenly turned into a love affair between the characters and their jobs at the hotel rather than a romance between the main characters.

Couldn't watch past ep 1:
Hotelier
Sushi Oji
Haikei Chichiue-sama
Utahime
Tiger n Dragon
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
Kou Kou Kyoshi 2003
Jikou Keisatsu
Last Christmas
Ganbatte Ikimashoi
Security Police
Saito San
Ashita no Kita Yoshio
Around 40
Ryokiteki na Kanojo
I agree that you should try to give about 3 episodes before deciding whether to continue a given series. And it's always more helpful if you give a reason for why you didn't like a series. People can't read your mind to know what your tastes are or how those might correspond to their own, so a plain list doesn't help other posters who are looking for something to watch.

Though I don't take stock from any list that starts with, "I couldn't get past the first episode..." just because I know how decieving first eps can be in either direction.
Last edited by ryoko11 on May 12th, '08, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

sigep66

Post by sigep66 » May 12th, '08, 22:08

I personally thought that Yukan Club was pretty horrible. It had horrible acting and had cheesy plots. The only reason why I watched it was because of the chick who played Noriko

Keizou

Post by Keizou » May 16th, '08, 16:23

I agree with ryoko that you should watch at least 3ep before judging the series...I remember when I watched Stand Up!...the first ep wasn't that great...but it got a lot better after the end of ep 3

however, if the first ep of the drama is REALLY horrible with no room for improvement, then i guess it's ok to say that drama will suck all the way thru

I personally haven't watched Yukan club , but I heard from several people that it sucked!

IMO, i tend to find most office/business type dramas to be a bit boring (which is kind of weird since I actually study business in uni)

...the only office/business drama I liked was papa to musume but it only had a hint of office/business

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » May 16th, '08, 16:38

Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003
That AIDS drama with Kyoko Fukada and Takeshi Kaneshiro
Seito Shokun
Sore wa.... that drama with a dancing yamapi with leukemia

Shishou

Post by Shishou » May 16th, '08, 16:49

The only jdorama I hate with a passion is GTO. It's just so bad. The only reason I watched it was because of Shun Oguri. (And to be fair, the third episode was amazing, the rest... not so much.) The characters are boring, bland and they're just... not likeable at all.

jeanzaddict

Post by jeanzaddict » May 16th, '08, 19:11

yukan club: definitely. what's the point of the story? even the ending sucked big time. acting skill? no question asked: WORST.
stand up!!: i cant watch it. i just watch the first episode and stopped :D. i'm sick of people who only talk about sex. i dont know about the rest of the story, but in the first episode the main casts talk too much about sex -.- .
gokusen: i like it but it has same storyline in all episodes, i could even guess the story of each episode.
proposal daisakusen: the first drama of yamapi i watched (i've never seen him in drama before prodai, i guess). i see him as yamapi himself with 'halelujah chance' pose and his wink not iwase ken.

k-drama:
i'm sorry but i love you: i watched some of it and i think it's kind of depressing.
stairway to heaven: too sad, tears in every single minute. i was tired watching the sadness of the main casts.

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » May 16th, '08, 19:53

Haikei Chichiue-sama
Utahime
Tiger n Dragon
Security Police
aah.. too bad. those drama are beautiful. i guess if you can't feel up to it you just can't go on with the rest of the episodes.
They certainly don't belong in the "worst drama" listing imho.
Love Haikei Chichiuesama because of the great shots, beautifully written script and all the characters have wonderful chemistry with each other. Utahime is quirky and sad in the end with great acting (it have the artsy retro feel to it). Tiger & Dragon is smart. One of the drama that actually make you learn about Japanese culture and in this its about modern Rakugo. SP got crime fighting Okada. What not to love? :)

i can only think of 3 dramas that I couldn't watch past ep1. Food Fight by Kusanagi Tsuyoshi, Motokare by Dohmoto Tsuyoshi and Attention Please by Ueto Aya. I tried skimming through the rest of the episode but don't like what i'm seeing (except for Motokare.. looks promising but just don't hav the urge to watch)
Attention Please was just too linear for me. Aya iwas cute as ever but i can't stand her character. Food Fight was boring. Both not so good imo but they are not the worst.

The worst for me is still Kurosagi. Its entertaining because of pretty Yamapi/maki but that's about it. And their acting was horrible... It can be a smarter/darker more interesting drama but it didn't. They didn't use the opportunity given with such a good revenge plot. Very disappointed.

requiem

Post by requiem » May 16th, '08, 20:17

I don't really think I hate any j-dorama, but in terms of my least favorite:

Pride
Kyo Kyo Kyoushi 2003
Fuma no Kojiro (I'd want to refer this to as Tenjou Tenge Live Action)

If it is cliche it doesn't bother me; what bothers me is when even if it is cliche and it has a really diluted, deus ex machina sort of story.

PiZBuin

Post by PiZBuin » May 16th, '08, 20:22

I can only think of one right now.. definitely Bambino!! OMG.. I really tried giving it a chance! I think I saw 5 eps and it got even more boring after every ep.

mhaellix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mhaellix » May 17th, '08, 05:10

There were so many dramas that was mentioned that I absolutely loved. (I can't imagine anyone hating a KimuTaku drama)

But I would have to say Negi is the worst. I watched the first episode but it had awful acting, awful lighting, the fan service felt very weird. I've seen the anime and I tried reading the manga, but this one is just bad.

Jdramas are subtle and some shows make you think. I really like that they're not overly obsessed with romance. I can make my parents watch them without cringing and not be awkward when there's a romantic scene. Some dramas you just have to give a chance, I always hate the first and last episodes, for me those are the most boring parts of the show, but after the first episode things usually get better.

Despite the popularity of shows with young actors, I still think the shows with older actors have more quality. (currently enjoying Around 40 and Change)

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 17th, '08, 16:53

mhaellix wrote:There were so many dramas that was mentioned that I absolutely loved. (I can't imagine anyone hating a KimuTaku drama)

Jdramas are subtle and some shows make you think. I really like that they're not overly obsessed with romance. I can make my parents watch them without cringing and not be awkward when there's a romantic scene. Some dramas you just have to give a chance, I always hate the first and last episodes, for me those are the most boring parts of the show, but after the first episode things usually get better.

Despite the popularity of shows with young actors, I still think the shows with older actors have more quality. (currently enjoying Around 40 and Change)

There are lots of shows I like on the list too, but different folks different tastes. :thumright:

Personally, I can understand Pride being among worst dramas. I loved Kimura, Sakaguchi Kenji, Sato Ryuta, the hockey storyline, most of the side stories, and the early part of the romance. However, come episode 7 Aki actually starts to destroy the entire romance for me and piss me off whenever she's onscreen. She still tops my list for Most Hated Jdrama Character of All-Time.
Going back to the jerk who left her hanging for two years, while he was off diddling chicks in America, is bad enough.... but how freaking long did she let the man she "loved" rot in jail?! She can run around in the rain wailing like a wraith, "Halu is crying! (Yeah, so are the viewers!)," when Halu gets thrown in prison for protecting her... but she never even goes to see him! Hotta (Sakaguchi Kenji) is nearly walking again by the time she finally gets shamed into helping. Rehab isn't that fast a process, and she couldn't even take the iniative to help Halu without that intervention scene from the misogenist coach first.

They redeemed the money-grubbing ho who led to Hotta's injury, but the female lead never got redeemed for her misdeeds. Passively waiting two years for someone again is complete crap for atonement. She's just repeating her same romanticized mistake from the last relationship and creating an excuse to avoid the daily comprimises and work required of a relationship with someone who is really there. She takes the easy way out, never demonstrates that she's learned a thing, and she still gets rewarded at the end. Boo!

I would have liked to have seen everyone at the skating rink take turns beating her to death with their hockey sticks at the end. It would have been a more satisfying resolution for me. Otherwise, they would have to start some serious rewrites from the point where Halu goes to jail. LOL

To be honest, I feel that many Jdramas rather than being subtle about the romance storylines are romance phobic. You don't have to be hot and heavy to get the point across, and some of the most beautiful scenes I can think of didn't even involve a kiss. I keep coming across too many emotionally constipated characters rehashing the same superficial romance plots without any scenes of honest romance. This is particularly relevant to the idol dramas, but not limited to them. Of the 5 dramas I can think of that ever made my heart soar in a romance scene, 2 of them apparently got so scared of the romance plot that they completely destroyed it and both have been mentioned by me on this thread. (One in this very post.) Jdramas are much better at "warm fuzzies" than romance.

Molenir

Post by Molenir » May 17th, '08, 17:15

I haven't watched a lot of J-Dramas, and those I have, that I don't like, I tend to quickly forget. However I was recently watching a bunch of episode 1s in order to find some good new dramas, and I made a list of what to watch another episode of, and what not to. So based on that, here are the ones, I couldn't watch past episode 1.

Karei naru ichizoku - Too much drama, looks dumb
Binbo Danshi - Story about a complete idiot
Delicious Gakuin - See above, only worse
Ai Nante Irane yo Natsu - Bad plot and only episode 1
RH Plus - Don't care for Yaoi crap
Lost Time Life - Too much of a downer
Ningen Shikkaku - Can't stand stories involving bullying

There are probably others, but these make the list of ones I won't be finishing.

Deebiddo

Post by Deebiddo » May 17th, '08, 17:37

sigep66 wrote:I personally thought that Yukan Club was pretty horrible. It had horrible acting and had cheesy plots. The only reason why I watched it was because of the chick who played Noriko
I thought Yukan Club was extremely boring as well. I also thought Dragon Zakura, Majo no jouken, Hero, Teppan Shoujo Akane and Liar Game were rather boring...
jeanzaddict wrote:proposal daisakusen: the first drama of yamapi i watched (i've never seen him in drama before prodai, i guess). i see him as yamapi himself with 'halelujah chance' pose and his wink not iwase ken.
I gave up watching Proposal Daisakusen half way through the series myself so I guess I'll add that to the list also...

otousanmoru

Post by otousanmoru » May 17th, '08, 18:59

lomsie wrote: HYD, both of em'!: ...

Sapuri: ...
Yep I'm with you on these two. I could not get thru HYD I tried a few times, I cannot get past ep 3 since it is mainly a re-tread of the spoiled rich kids theme, and the ordinary "poor" person who has no kind of chance at happiness unless they disguise themselves, enter the world of the rich kids, "teach" the spoiled kids, etc., ad infinitum. It's a tired formula. The success of these type dramas are 99% dependent on the casting of Johnny's and other idols (I'm not against idols, some of them can even act). Enuf said.

Sapuri, another cure for insomnia I cannot seem to get through! How could the executives sit thru this one long enough to even put it on the air? I like Itoh Misaki, most things she is in are good, but this one I cannot get past ep 2 (have tried a few times now). It's like this story never gets going. The first scene on the train is good, where she finds his cell phone and he calls it. Then it's just ... what happens after that? Where are we? An office ok... Who is she? Who is he? Exactly, I cannot remember after 10 minutes either.

Deebiddo wrote: ... Liar Game were rather boring...
^^ Liar Game boring? That was one of the most exciting things on last year, imho. The music and situations were tense, the characters were strange, the story was very enjoyable to me.

Proposal Daisakusen for some reason I did enjoy! The acting and story were alright in that one, and it did not make me sick like most adolescent angst-driven dramas do. The ending is a bit predictable, but parts of the story were fresh. The little things he finds the importance of in his second chance flashbacks (the 2nd button on graduation day, the note in the library book she leaves him), some of those moments were touching.

jingga

Post by jingga » May 17th, '08, 19:45

As for me i found out that beautiful life is boring.... i tried to finish up the first epi but fall asleep halfway. That also applied to summer snow, SOS, Long vacation and Gokusen...
Well maybe i should watch until the end before consider those drama are boooorrrring but still i just dont have enough strength to keep me awake to watch those drama... Maybe i should put something on my eyelid to make sure it does not automatically close ahaks....

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » May 23rd, '08, 00:26

jingga wrote:As for me i found out that beautiful life is boring.... i tried to finish up the first epi but fall asleep halfway. That also applied to summer snow, SOS, Long vacation and Gokusen...
Well maybe i should watch until the end before consider those drama are boooorrrring but still i just dont have enough strength to keep me awake to watch those drama... Maybe i should put something on my eyelid to make sure it does not automatically close ahaks....
Yeah, I found Beautiful Life incredibly boring as well. I really tried to finish it because it's a Takuya drama but I just couldn't get past episode 7. Pride is another boring drama. Everyone kept going on and on about how it is so great but I found it boring even though I finished it.

Long Love Letter... hmm. Something just isn't right about the drama. I know it's sci fi but the characters should at least behave realistically.

Majo No Jouken... I watched it to the end but I found it a little ridiculous. It's something I can't recommend to anyone. It was unnecessarily dramatic and I didn't even 'feel' this undying love that these characters sacrificed their lives for.

karin-chan

Post by karin-chan » May 23rd, '08, 09:18

Yukan Club-- seriously only kattun fans watched this

Kimi wa Petto-- *yawns*

Majou no Jouken-- i expected that this will be a good one coz it was Tackey's claim to fame.. yeah.. i got bored

minamichan03

gokusen??

Post by minamichan03 » May 24th, '08, 15:09

M65 wrote:Gokusen. Very Overrated and *CoughGTOripoffCough*

Followed by Pretty Girls.
tikleabubble wrote:The most UNDER rated jdoramas are:

Million Stars Fall from the Sky
Agreed.
HUH?? a very big question mark for me.. but why,gokusen??
for me,that's one of my favorites... :-)

minamichan03

but not liar game...

Post by minamichan03 » May 24th, '08, 15:15

otousanmoru wrote:
lomsie wrote: HYD, both of em'!: ...

Sapuri: ...
Yep I'm with you on these two. I could not get thru HYD I tried a few times, I cannot get past ep 3 since it is mainly a re-tread of the spoiled rich kids theme, and the ordinary "poor" person who has no kind of chance at happiness unless they disguise themselves, enter the world of the rich kids, "teach" the spoiled kids, etc., ad infinitum. It's a tired formula. The success of these type dramas are 99% dependent on the casting of Johnny's and other idols (I'm not against idols, some of them can even act). Enuf said.

Sapuri, another cure for insomnia I cannot seem to get through! How could the executives sit thru this one long enough to even put it on the air? I like Itoh Misaki, most things she is in are good, but this one I cannot get past ep 2 (have tried a few times now). It's like this story never gets going. The first scene on the train is good, where she finds his cell phone and he calls it. Then it's just ... what happens after that? Where are we? An office ok... Who is she? Who is he? Exactly, I cannot remember after 10 minutes either.

Deebiddo wrote: ... Liar Game were rather boring...
^^ Liar Game boring? That was one of the most exciting things on last year, imho. The music and situations were tense, the characters were strange, the story was very enjoyable to me.

Proposal Daisakusen for some reason I did enjoy! The acting and story were alright in that one, and it did not make me sick like most adolescent angst-driven dramas do. The ending is a bit predictable, but parts of the story were fresh. The little things he finds the importance of in his second chance flashbacks (the 2nd button on graduation day, the note in the library book she leaves him), some of those moments were touching.
HYD.. that was a good story even if we don't count on the ratings about the cast.. (and i'd liked hyd2 more!!)

and another...
LIAR GAME boring??
i don't think so.. it was so tactical and i'd really love the plot of the story...

Proposal Daisakusen.. somehow boring with me.. it's like, "can't you do anything great even if you returned to your past??!" and may i say, somehow boring in a way of the repititive way of "halleluyah chance!"...

meiji_

Post by meiji_ » Jun 15th, '08, 09:50

BOGCHI wrote:
lomsie wrote:Hana Kimi: The premise was so ridiculous and the plot so predictable. I think it would have been better if she didn't end up with Shun's character (that guy keeps getting cast in these completely crap roles, just the same guy recycled. Hanazawa Rui, anyone?). The only think I liked about it was Toma, with a little more work, I think he could be come a good actor. And Maki was terrible in this, I think.
Hearing mix reviews about this drama. It's either really bad or really good. :scratch:
I started off liking it but as the series went on I started losing interest as it became really silly and predictable further in. Actually, does anyone wanna fill me in as to what happens with mizuki and co. at the end? I couldn't finish it I'm still a bit curious :lol

Anyhow, I think it really depends on you. If you can laugh at silly things a la Gokusen you might enjoy this. But if you're into heavier dramas you might wanna stay away from this drama.

sarara

Post by sarara » Jun 15th, '08, 10:15

I would say Majo no Jouken

it was so boring and too long,

sarara

Re: gokusen??

Post by sarara » Jun 15th, '08, 10:29

minamichan03 wrote:
M65 wrote:Gokusen. Very Overrated and *CoughGTOripoffCough*

Followed by Pretty Girls.
tikleabubble wrote:The most UNDER rated jdoramas are:

Million Stars Fall from the Sky
Agreed.
HUH?? a very big question mark for me.. but why,gokusen??
for me,that's one of my favorites... :-)

I like Gokusen 1 season, but 2 and 3 are only made for money, that is what i think

jO_O

Re: gokusen??

Post by jO_O » Jun 15th, '08, 11:27

sarara wrote: I like Gokusen 1 season, but 2 and 3 are only made for money, that is what i think
Gokusen season 1 was also made for money :lol

What you wanted to say, i think, was :
"I like Gokusen 1 season, but 2 and 3 were (only) made for (a lot) more money because season 1 was a (big) hit."
Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :D

I too like season 1 but not seasons 2 and 3, but only because of the cast/acting and the episodes/situations somewhat becoming boring, if not absurd.

Yankumi alias Nakama Yukie is still very cute in season 3, even after putting some weight on but thankfully not too much. (her head seems to be more round than before, or am i just imagining things ?)

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Jun 16th, '08, 00:06

sarara wrote:I would say Majo no Jouken

it was so boring and too long,
I agree!
I wrote a review on how boring it is here

Pride was another snoozer. I couldn't understand the hype. Except for the fact that Takeuchi was STUNNING.. the drama in its whole was not very interesting.

mattroilanh_tt

Post by mattroilanh_tt » Jun 17th, '08, 09:52

Bimbo Danshi. I can not get through ep 1. The main character is too unrealistic. I do not like HYD 2 too.

rurounimon

Post by rurounimon » Jun 17th, '08, 18:52

Ah, I'm going to have to defend HYD. I read the entire manga first (remember, it first came out in 1992 and ended in 2003) and thoroughly enjoyed watching the J-Drama, recognizing the similar scenes from the manga. I especially loved how in season 2, the writers took fan favorite moments and worked them into the story. To me, any other rich boy/poor girl shoujo stories (I see a lot of them in K-Dramas) that came after the manga just doesn't match up.

Oh well, to each his/her own.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jun 17th, '08, 19:10

As much as I like watching Oguri Shun, I also couldn't get passed ep2 of Binbo Danshi. His character was what annoyed me the most. I mean no one is that stupidly nice that you would risk being in debt just to help (or ppl embezzling you for money and think they are your friend) Doesn't he realize they are taking advantage of his "generosity".

As for Gokusen, some say it's a GTO ripoff, but dude Yankumi is generally her own character and has her personal charms that GTO sensei does not have. Of course, there's so many other school life dramas / mangas/ etc but you have to appreciate how well the actors/ actresses portrays their parts. I love Gokusen S1 but S2, S3 are all for fangirls and eyecandy.

Hanakimi was alright, but true, I expected more from Maki-chan and Oguri Shun's roles. They didn't do their characters justice. The best part about it for me was Ikuta Toma and his "homo-ja-nai" anthem. :lol

Beautiful Life was one of the first Jdorama I've watched and got me addicted to KimuTaku. I guess everyone has their own opinion, but KimuTaku is one of the best (if not the best) J-actors out there.

Long Love Letter is also pretty cool. Someone here mentioned that it's too unrealistic. My answer to that is NO DUH!!! Dude is sci - fi supposed to be realistic ??? The premise of a different dimension or time (whichever one it was) is pretty cool. The first episode almost made me sleep but at the end of it, I was like, huh WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED!! Then I pretty much watched the entire drama in 3 days.

It probably depends on your taste of dramas : sad/ tearjerking drama --- sci-fi (supposed to be unrealistic) --- comedy/ light / dramas to relieve stress

Kathstandsalone

Post by Kathstandsalone » Jun 18th, '08, 01:46

Dramas that are least favourite:

1. Beautiful Life - maybe I can't get past Kimura's hair in that drama. And the relationship developed between the 2 main characters seemed weird. Didn't feel much chemistry.

2. Proposal Daisakusen - Yamapi's acting was mediocre ^_^ and so is the lead girl. It gets on my nerves with every episode he went "Hallejah chance" and "NOOOOOOOOOO". One would have thought that he would get used to travelling back in time already! it was quite slow paced too.

3. Hana Kimi - I guess this falls into the category of "mindless watching". Not that I hate it but it's the kind of show which makes me go, "ok" and move on. It has a few lame scenes but that's okay.

And to those who prefer Gokusen 1 to other seasons, perhaps it's the fact that you watched season 1 first before other seasons. If one watched Gokusen 2 or 3, first, perhaps he may think, "Ahh, Gokusen 2/3 is better." I myself watched Gokusen 1 first, and think that that was the best season!

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jun 18th, '08, 02:15

Enka no Joou

Waste of a download. First episode was really predictable, lead actress does not capture audience. Poor comedy.

Tensai_san

Spoiler dramas

Post by Tensai_san » Jun 18th, '08, 02:49

Dramas that are least favourite:

1. Beautiful Life - maybe I can't get past Kimura's hair in that drama. And the relationship developed between the 2 main characters seemed weird. Didn't feel much chemistry.

2. Proposal Daisakusen - Yamapi's acting was mediocre ^_^ and so is the lead girl. It gets on my nerves with every episode he went "Hallejah chance" and "NOOOOOOOOOO". One would have thought that he would get used to travelling back in time already! it was quite slow paced too.

3. Hana Kimi - I guess this falls into the category of "mindless watching". Not that I hate it but it's the kind of show which makes me go, "ok" and move on. It has a few lame scenes but that's okay.
>> holy ****... Proposal Daisakusen and Hana kimi was my all time favourite.. especially Proposal Daisakusen..... The story plot is sort of nostalgic and touching. Very fresh for grown up and working ppl when they tink abt their past in high school. Hanakimi plot was sorta of cool and in-mix comical scenes as well.

Ps: Mayb preference difference as well as the kind of excitement and plot u're searching for as well....... Ohh welll...

Spoiler drama : Alot stated by other ppl.... But a few only..

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jun 18th, '08, 05:11

Kathstandsalone wrote:Dramas that are least favourite:

3. Hana Kimi - I guess this falls into the category of "mindless watching". Not that I hate it but it's the kind of show which makes me go, "ok" and move on. It has a few lame scenes but that's okay.!
I have to give you a high five on Proposal Daisakusen and Hana Kimi! I almost fell asleep on PD... did not get pass the third episode.

Hana Kimi was just the all time worst! :glare: I only got to the fifth episode and I just HAD to stop it. It was horrible and not even funny... Just plain stupid.

But I must say that I liked Beautiful Life. I liked the story (even though I agree that it is a bit slow) and I like the idea that it really talks about a subject that is touching with a lot of Japanese people... disabilities. I think it is now different with the 25 and below crowd but people over 40 that I have met are creeped out even here in the U.S. of people with disabilities.

snow_of_dawn

Post by snow_of_dawn » Jun 18th, '08, 05:22

Well for me my worst drama ever was GTO for many reason; the story was unbelievably silly and all through the drama they're trying 2 convince u that this pevert teacher can actually guide delinquents 2 the right way. the thing is when I downloaded it i used the batch torrent and copied it on a DVD without watching first, which i later regretted :-( watching the whole thing to the end was 2 me like going through hell , i didn't even bring myself 2 watch either the special or the movie.

My second worst Drama was IWGP, well 2 tell u the truth i hated it more than GTO but i wouldn't want 2 judge it bec i only watched 4 episodes, and i personally think that we shouldn't or rather can't judge a drama untill we watch it through till the end. but really what kind of a drama is that, i just felt it had no message whatsoever besides being too darkly criminal. I only started downloading it after i had watched My Boss My Hero and liked Nagase so i thought i wanted 2 see him in another drama, but i was totally disappointed :-(

I absolutely agree with everyone who hated Hana Kimi, i only watched it after my japanese teacher recommended it, she told me it's funny and I have 2 admit it WAS but it was also sooooo ridiculous with a lot of unnecassary scenes like that fashion show in the end when they all wore dresses. Besides i was really annoyed watching the drama bec all along i liked Nakatsu's character way more than Sano's which i felt wasn't what the people who made the drama had in mind.

as for HYD ,which was the 1st drama i ever watched, i think it was really nice (thnks 2 it I got hooked on J-dramas) but after watching other dramas it started 2 lose the charm and when i try watching it now it feels so strange, u know i'm not even that enthusiastic 2 watch the movie or atleast not as much as i was when they first announced there would be one.

U know i'd just like 2 point out sth important, when we suddenly watch a somehow old drama (that aired in the 90's or so) after watching brand new ones, we should really put in mind that the drama is old while watching it, bec most of us go judging these ones by comparing them with newer ones which i think is absolutely unfair. I always put that in mind and that's why i'm not always surprised 2 find a not so good or even terrible but old drama rated on the top of the list (like GTO). it's simply bec the time it was aired is differs from now, also maybe people's tastes where different.

mixedmedia

Post by mixedmedia » Jun 18th, '08, 05:38

Judging by this thread it looks like it'd be mentioned in future posts about 'my friend recommended this drama to me and I hated it'. I generally accept silly dramas for what they are. But it was probably KIKU (Honolulu station) at fault for programming the dramas they did during the '90's which shaped/warped my preferences.
dochira wrote:Has anyone mentioned Stalker (Sasou Onna)? It was so comical that I don't know if it was intentionally written that way.
Stalker was so bad I couldn't keep watching it. Is odd seeing Hinagata Akiko on Mechaike since Stalker was the first thing I saw her in. Same goes for Takanori Jinnai doing comedy.

5 Spies: filmed in a tunnel at night. Haven't continued watching it past 2 or 3 yet especially after being so concentrated with tracking it down at the time.

Struggling through Erai Tokoro now because of Nakama Yukie but just about everyone else (characters) is ruining it for me. Watched Gokusen 2 when it was broadcast but after the delay towards the end with subbing I abandoned it for being terrible. But at the same time loved Trick and Abarenbo Shogun as far as dramas with the same plot almost every episode go.

Negima was also bad but having not watched it completely (and probably never will unless it's subbed) but having watched the first version of the anime I may give it another chance years from now.

Namida Iro

Post by Namida Iro » Jun 18th, '08, 05:46

Err... One Pound Gospel?

liveitup

Post by liveitup » Jun 18th, '08, 06:22

ProDai?!?! No way, i loved it.
HYD too. THough i prefer 1st season to 2nd.

My not-so-great ones:
Dragon Zakura
Yukan Club
Boku to Kanojo no XXX (is this counted as a drama? a very short one, if so)

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Jun 18th, '08, 06:26

Stalker was so bad I couldn't keep watching it. Is odd seeing Hinagata Akiko on Mechaike since Stalker was the first thing I saw her in. Same goes for Takanori Jinnai doing comedy.
I mentioned Stalker. That is probably the worst drama I have ever seen. I even watched it to the end. It was hilariously bad, kinda like the movie Showgirls I guess.

At the time, stalkers were in the news I believe, since they even referenced it in the drama when that professor / expert was talking about the profile. This goes to show that something topical in the news should NEVER be made into a drama.

And I felt the same way about Hingata Akiko, since the first time I saw her in a drama was this pile of garbage and she was actually very funny on Mechaike.

iheartyamapi

Post by iheartyamapi » Jun 18th, '08, 07:02

I would have to say my WORSE drama is Honey&Clover. I've seen some bad/stupid ones before but none of them have annoyed me as much as H&C! I downloaded it when it first aired but never got around to watching it. It's been sitting in my external hd forever so because I am such a horrible student, I decided to watch it instead of study for my finals. I thought it would serve as a good distraction so I won't be so stressed and worried. Something really weird happened that had never happened to me before but while watching it, I decided that studying was better than subjecting myself to watching that horrible drama.

As much as I like Toma, I really didn't like him in the drama. His acting was okay. It wasn't great, but not so horrible either. But his character was everything I hated in a person. He didn't have enough backbone to go for what he wanted, and even then, he was still unsure of what he wanted out of life. I understand that this drama was like a self discovery process for him, but this is the first time I wished the protagonist character would just get lost in his journey to find himself. He had no confidence, undecisive, unmotivated, socially awkward (which I find cute in most dramas but this one was not the case), and absolutely annoying.

Then there were 3 people who I wish I could have killed off from the first episode. The "love triangle" between the nerd with glasses, old woman he loves, and cry-baby chick who loves the nerd (yes I am being mean but I really couldn't stand them). I hated everything about them. How they all were so fickle -- I love her, I hate her, I love him, I hate him, and it repeats in a predictable, formulated cycle that makes me want to pull my hair out. How they seem to be making some progress but something would happen and they go back to their same pitiful selves. It drove me nuts even more to see how they were all sooooo PATHETIC.

I could probably go on about how much I hated H&C for a couple of pages but I won't. My hate rant is over. Sorry if I offended anyone but I really hated the characters in this drama. I had to force myself to finish it because I took the time to download it, so I had to at least watch it.

Although, I think I was in the wrong mindset to watch it. I was stressed about finals and I wasn't in much of a good mood. But I think if it was a truly good drama, I would enjoy it despite what kind of mood I was in.

Arisa

Post by Arisa » Jun 19th, '08, 05:18

The worst series that I've managed to watch from start to finish is probably To Heart. I adore Domoto Tsuyoshi and think he brings a lot of life to his roles, but his performance here was truly mediocre, and Fukada Kyoko's character, whose name I can't even remember, was the definition of annoying. The only thing it had going for it was the homely, somewhat nostalgic vibe to it, and a redundant but very catchy insert song that gets stuck in your head.

As to dramas I couldn't bring myself to watch until the end, the only one I think is worth mentioning is Shimokita Sundays. Dear God, Aya Ueto is adorable, but I could not watch more than 20 minutes of this.

Also, I don't know if this one counts since it wasn't a Renzoku, but KJ8s special drama, Kemarishi was... horribly, horribly cheese, and very hard to watch. I was forced through it, and even at that skipped through certain scenes. ^^;

Vanilla_Spider__x

Post by Vanilla_Spider__x » Jun 19th, '08, 07:18

Hana Kimi
Pride
Honey & Clover
Proposal Daisakusen
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
Hotelier
Utahime
Sapuri
Dekichatta Kekkon
Bambino
Itazura na Kiss
Strawberry on the Shortcake

TW Drama (I had to say these, couldn't help myself. :x)
Summer x Summer
KO One
Tokyo Juliet

ackirom

Post by ackirom » Jun 19th, '08, 08:43

Forbidden Love or Maho no Jouken was awful. I remember watching this a while back.. and it's about a teacher/student relationship that could've worked out well had it not been for that damn teacher. Why couldn't she just wait 6 more months 'til he graduated?! Gawd, she was so horny she had to do seduce him in the library. On top of which she announced the relationship to the entire student body so now she not only confirmed the horrid rumor, she ruined the kid's future. She was such a drama queen that the kid focused all his attn on her and forgot abt his mother who was so lonely and vulnerable, she left herself open to a takeover by the guy she thought she could trust. So then the teacher was disowned by her family, and she invites the kid to runaway with her. She gets pregnant while living out and about from paycheck to paycheck when she gets in one tiny little argument with him, and decides to run away cuz she couldn't handle it AFTER she's already ruined his life!! :cussing: All the worst things you hoped wouldn't happen, happened cuz she just kept making one retarded decision after another. I kept watching hoping she'd get arrested sometime, which she did, though not long enough. I so wanted her to die in the end, ugh!

Oh and the tiny argument she had was about the kid wanting to go back to take care of his mother, who was on the verge of suicide after getting voted out of staying as a director of a hospital, a position she'd worked hard for and depressed cuz her son ran away w/his teacher. I mean, who wouldn't understand his situation??? Damn she was so selfish!!!!

sike

Post by sike » Jun 19th, '08, 09:04

a lot of people said first kiss was the worst ever, but i thought it was not bad. but then again, i like hiraoka yuuta, so maybe that's it.

i didn't really like kimi wa petto that much. i watched the whole thing. i thought the acting was good, but the plot was just sort of odd...and the ending was weird too.

yukan club was...decent, i guess :scratch: i love yoko, and i watched it till the end, but jin was just so horrible in some scenes it almost made me give up. i didn't care for junno either, or the girl who eats a lot. i can't believe this drama won so many awards.

kooriyuki16

Post by kooriyuki16 » Jun 20th, '08, 07:33

YES im not the only person who thinks Hana Kimi was bad. I was also uh-uh let's move on, until the 7th ep and I really couldn't take it anymore :crazy:
summer snow was good tho :cry: and i like enka no jyoou so far (at episode 3 already). i think it requires a totally weird sense of humor to enjoy this show, so. :D
can't remember wat bad doramas there were coz I watched too much doramas. but those worth trashing besides Hana Kimi were: joushi deka! (OMG tt'S totally a waste of nakama yukie), Majo no Jouken (gave up midway), Love 2000 (confusing story).

PhilsterT

Post by PhilsterT » Jun 21st, '08, 19:40

Kimi ha Petto
Kou Kou Kyoshi
Gokusen

The first is probably the worst I'd ever seen. The annoying actress, main-lady who does her own thing is really annoying.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 22nd, '08, 01:10

My second worst Drama was IWGP, well 2 tell u the truth i hated it more than GTO but i wouldn't want 2 judge it bec i only watched 4 episodes, and i personally think that we shouldn't or rather can't judge a drama untill we watch it through till the end. but really what kind of a drama is that, i just felt it had no message whatsoever besides being too darkly criminal. I only started downloading it after i had watched My Boss My Hero and liked Nagase so i thought i wanted 2 see him in another drama, but i was totally disappointed
i know that is your personal choice and i know that i can sound biased talking about IWGP but i am really astonished to see this drama as a worst j-drama in this thread.
as you said, you can never judge a drama by watching only 4 eps of it. IWGP is different kind of drama but there is no way it can be called the worst. it's actually very unique in every way you look at it. it's not like your average every day.
it's dark, and it is violent, true. but it follow a story very well written and greatly acted not only by my fav actor but everyone else that has taken part. no wonder it has taken so many awards in 25th tv drama academy.
behind all confusion that people can get about the meaning of this drama, one thing you ought to notice and that you don't need to follow any people/party just to get noticed. if you have your moral/beliefs you still can survive in today's world and gain respect by people around you just by leading as example.
i have watched this drama twice and second time veiwing made me love it even more. there are so many messages in there. and i was just amazed by how unique each character was.

i guess Honey & Clover was really disapponting for me too. the whole story was very dragging. i gave it try as soon as it was released but later on found myself not wanting to continue, but i did watch till the end and realised what a waste of precious time it was.

Then there were 3 people who I wish I could have killed off from the first episode. The "love triangle" between the nerd with glasses, old woman he loves, and cry-baby chick who loves the nerd (yes I am being mean but I really couldn't stand them). I hated everything about them. How they all were so fickle -- I love her, I hate her, I love him, I hate him, and it repeats in a predictable, formulated cycle that makes me want to pull my hair out. How they seem to be making some progress but something would happen and they go back to their same pitiful selves. It drove me nuts even more to see how they were all sooooo PATHETIC.
wooow, my feeling exactly. i think the whole story was ruined by these 3 character and there being/not being would not had any effects on the whole thing. i was happy to find some space on my HDD by deleting this drama after i watched the last ep :lol

i also found Antiqu (cake shop) boring. as much as i like takky, i just finding most of his dramas are boring and hard to follow. i don't understand what cake has to do with it? to analyse people behaviour and self with way of making/eating/ordering cakes????????
i am also wondering what is producers/directors obsession with food to base an entire drama story on it? and to eat all that and still be this skinny is beyond my grasp. :scratch:

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jun 22nd, '08, 06:06

PhilsterT wrote:Kimi ha Petto
Kou Kou Kyoshi
Gokusen

The first is probably the worst I'd ever seen. The annoying actress, main-lady who does her own thing is really annoying.
WOW! Those are some of my top favorite dramas of all time! Not crazy about the "strong" female type I take it! LOL

Well stay away from 'Anego' and 'Around 40' as well... You will HATE those! :)

Mito Koumon

Post by Mito Koumon » Jun 22nd, '08, 15:45

My top 3 (taking the list by the end) would be:
- Honey & Clover: it felt like no one had a clue about what an art school/student should be like... I mean... I didn't see any people, just characters in there, and neither touching, nor funny ones.
- Fireboys: the captain is a hero, he would never have... wait!!! We have a RECORDING of the fire (cause everything burnt down but not the telephone or its cables, you see). And the likes in each episode. When I think I watched the whole series... -__-
- Yasha: maybe I'm just not bright enough. I didn't get it.

akinoame27

Post by akinoame27 » Jun 24th, '08, 10:34

my worst is Yukan Club.............. omg... it was SO boring and absolutely bad... I´ve seen first 7 ep and I couldn´t get trough the next ones... I mean, I love 3 of those actors but the dialogues and storylines were sooo silly. At least if it´s there a little bit of romance or something but nooo, still the same boring and silly stuff. But don´t get me wrong, the silly things can be funny and I like them then (for example Nodame Cantabile) but here... well, it just didn´t work at all.

My second worst would be Summer Snow - boriiiing. And yes, I know, a lot of people say here, that they were able to watch only a few first episodes but I´ve seen them all and I didn´t like it.

And GTO - it was ok I think. But does it deserve to be as number 1 at jdorama.com!! No way!! It is totally overrated!!

snow_of_dawn

Post by snow_of_dawn » Jun 25th, '08, 21:09

I've just read all the posts through and I was really amused 2 find that a lot of ppl hated Gokusen, I can somehow understand it when ppl say they hated the 2nd season (bec it was so like the 1st) but hating the first? the only explaination i can think of is that they where for some unknown reason comparing it 2 GTO, come on guys there's no link whatsoever bet the 2, i don't believe ppl calling Gokusen a rip-off that stupid GTO thing. :crazy:

as for Gokusen 2, I actually enjoyed it more than the 1st (which is sth i myself was surprised at) maybe bec it had a more lively air about it, but i surely enjoyed the characters more than the 1st one (though i've 2 say Jun was adorable as Sawada :wub: )
The episodes were repetitive and, really, you'd think Yankumi might've learnt a thing or two about Class 3Ds and used some examples to help teach her new students. @__@;; Yes, maybe MatsuJun was too busy doing HYD1 to make a cameo but they could've used "flashbacks" from the first series to at least make us feel like Gokusen 2 is a sequel instead of some spin-off show.
u're right, i have 2 admit i also thought that way at the beginning, but if u just went with the idea that they ARE actually trying 2 make the drama seperate from the first one, u'll gradually start 2 like it.

As for the BIGGEST GOKUSEN FAILURE; Gokusen 3, i can never find words 2 describe how annoyed i am having 2 watch this one that simply destroys anything good about gokusen. the acting is horrible, and i have 2 admit that the repetition also plays a huge part in me hating this one. Another point that i know not much ppl would agree with me on is that the this season's guys don't look that good. that Ogata looks so feminine and his acting is sooo astonishingly horrible and the rest of the guys look Strange :glare:
i only like the one who plays Kazama.

Also i read some really funny comments on Kurosagi and Honey & Clover, it just feels so good when u read other ppl's opinions and u find them so like your own :D
as 4 Kurosagi i thought it was so boring with similar things happening on every episode, and what's worse was YamaPi's acting, my God he really sucked in that one (though i personally like him) well the whole thing was so Manga-like, overly Cliched (hated it when YamaPi makes that gun sign with his hands or that "maido ari" at the end of every ep.) plus a very poorly written childish script.

Moving on 2 Honey & Clover, i would have liked it if it hadn't been that i simply hated the Main Female character AND the actress as well, besides most of the characters felt soo strange and out of order. One thing i noticed is that the ppl who made the drama worked so hard 2 convince us that the characters were close friends (notice the Closing of each ep) but somehow I 4 a viewer never felt they were one :scratch:
I have 2 admit Ikuta did a fairly good job on that one, but hey....i didn't even like his character.
I love how exactly u expressed my opinion, those 3 were definitely the worst thing in the drama. But the funny thing is that the most person that i liked in the whole drama was the guy( idon't remember his name) who fell in love with the "cry-baby chick who loves the nerd" :lol i don't know why but i was somehow attracted 2 the character 2 the extent that i was really sorry 4 him in the end bec he ended up with such a stupid girl.
But anyway I wouldn't say H&C was one of my worst bu i can say it definitely isn't one of my favourites either.

P.S. Sorry for being such a chatterbox :sweat: [/quote]

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jun 25th, '08, 22:11

BOGCHI wrote:
lomsie wrote:Hana Kimi: The premise was so ridiculous and the plot so predictable. I think it would have been better if she didn't end up with Shun's character (that guy keeps getting cast in these completely crap roles, just the same guy recycled. Hanazawa Rui, anyone?). The only think I liked about it was Toma, with a little more work, I think he could be come a good actor. And Maki was terrible in this, I think.
Hearing mix reviews about this drama. It's either really bad or really good. :scratch:
Hanakimi is pretty funny if you like crazy stuff that makes no sense. But if you're looking for a story line then it's not for you. I think they should do a re-make of HK probably and follow the manga this time around, it would turn out better.

whatever0024

Post by whatever0024 » Jun 26th, '08, 08:26

First off, I always try to finish every drama that I start.

The absolute worst drama is Hanazakari no Kimitachi e. To this day, I still don't even know how I even managed to finish the entire drama. It's just terrible and beyond ridiculous. The writing is tripe and it has no storyline, just a bunch of unnecessary scenes thrown together to prolong the inevitable outcome. The two leads, Ashiya and Sano, have absolutely no chemistry. When Ashiya's sexuality was discovered, I wanted her to be expelled. She was just so annoying. I think if a stronger actress had played the part, I would have tolerated the character more. I didn't for once believe Maki was even male. She's too pretty. When she was saying her good-bye's to everyone, I wasn't moved. I did shed a tear...because I wasted a good portion of my week on something as atrocious as this drama when I could have spent it doing something more productive, or rather, watch a better drama.

Second worst goes to Gokusen 2. It's an absolute abomination. I hate everything about it. It's a cheap ripoff of the first Gokusen. If the formula ain't broke, why fix it? Also hire as many good-looking guys as possible to attract an audience. Why focus on the acting or the mediocre and repetitive script when you have eye candy? To me, Sawada Shin will always be the 3-D leader.

The third worst drama goes to Bambino!.I became a fan of Jun after watching Gokusen and both Hana Yori Dango's. Bambino is proof that no matter how good and talented the lead actor is, he and the strong group of supporting cast can't overcome the weak script. The lethargic pace almost put me to sleep. I was hoping and waiting for something, anything, to advance the "storyline." Jun is quite good, as usual, but his crying and getting down on himself act in every episode got rather old and tired after the third episode. Most of all, Kitamura Kazuki was just plain creepy. His oddly strange Cheshire smile made my skin crawl.

n3u

Post by n3u » Jun 26th, '08, 09:15

Koshonin period.

poonk
United States of America

Post by poonk » Jul 2nd, '08, 08:09

Okay, I can't argue that these are the worst dramas ever (because there are many that I don't even bother to download based on their plot synopses alone), but these are a few that I was significantly disappointed with:

One Pound Gospel: I found Sister Angela to have zero personality and Hatanaka was kind of a borderline idiot, to put it bluntly, so I felt the "romance" failed. The side characters were relatively interesting, though; too bad they took a backseat to the 2 main characters...

Yukan Club: This was quite the chore to finish but I somehow managed. Bido Grandmarie's humorously over-the-top mannerisms were the only (barely) redeeming factor (in my opinion) but it's definitely not enough to carry an entire series.

Kirakira Kenshui: Maybe if you wail annoyingly at every minor setback, then the medical field is not for you: i.e. I found the lead actress-- or perhaps just the character she played-- incredibly irritating (dropped at ep04).

Love Revolution: I felt like this was a bland waste of ~12 hours. Although I like Fujiki Naohito (who played Suga), I still wanted Kyoko to end up with Yabuki the bartender/actor.

Zettai Kareshi: I'm not even a reader of the manga, so my complaints don't originate there. I just had a hard time seeing the romance in this-- they took too long to make Night human-like, and frankly Riiko annoys me. Yep, I guess I dislike (what I perceive to be) bland, meek, and/or ditzy female characters.

Gokusen 3: After seeing the original (loved it) and Season 2 (okay enough) this is just more of the same, rehashed, and I don't need to watch it (dropped halfway through ep02, wandered off to make a sandwich).

P.S. I noticed a lot of people are hating Hana-Kimi , and although I enjoyed it as a comedy, as a romance I have to agree that it failed. Nakatsu beats Sano anyday (in the drama, at least).

strawberrynkiwi

Post by strawberrynkiwi » Jul 2nd, '08, 09:24

snow_of_dawn wrote: U know i'd just like 2 point out sth important, when we suddenly watch a somehow old drama (that aired in the 90's or so) after watching brand new ones, we should really put in mind that the drama is old while watching it, bec most of us go judging these ones by comparing them with newer ones which i think is absolutely unfair. I always put that in mind and that's why i'm not always surprised 2 find a not so good or even terrible but old drama rated on the top of the list (like GTO). it's simply bec the time it was aired is differs from now, also maybe people's tastes where different.
I completely agree.
I found Beautiful Life, Long Love Letter, Kou Kou Kyoushi 2003, and Summer Snow all very boring. They also happen to be all highly rated dramas for many people. I don't think they are the worst doramas, but I think I watched them a couple years too late. I watched them after watching recent drama at that time, being HYD, Nobuta, of course I will find Beautiful Life etc a little bit slow.

So I think everyone should keep in mind when you are watching a drama and when that drama came out, before rating. [/b]

milhaus007

Post by milhaus007 » Jul 3rd, '08, 07:18

#1 Hana Kimi: sucked monkey balls. it was made for all the fangirls.

#2 Koshonin: No story

#3 One Pound gospel: see above

#4 Hachi-One Diver: main guy cries in every episode. GAY !

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » Jul 3rd, '08, 07:49

PhilsterT wrote:Kimi ha Petto
Kou Kou Kyoshi
Gokusen

oooh! and yet she played this really gracefull widow in the Last Samurai.
Eventhough her character in Kmmi wa Petto was perceived as the forcefull type of woman, but she's quite fragile. Although it got its flaws I really like the drama and is one of the most unforgetable ones. I can even remember the details like the props that was used :P

interesting.. Honey & Clover drama didn't bode well here. I've only seen the first episode but also find the characters not to my liking. Being a fan of the anime (and also enjoyed the boring yet beautiful live action movie starring my lovelies Aoi Yuu & Sakurai Sho) I can't help but compare. I guess I will not continue watching it afterall.

Hanakimi was fun! And it got Nakatsu & the dorm heads! like watching hyperactive monkeys in the zoo on crack :w00t:

Kurosagi belongs in this thread and should stay here. The worst.

v*****a

Post by v*****a » Jul 3rd, '08, 07:57

Well, I have a high tolerance for jdorama, I suppose, because mostly I watch for language learning purposes. That said, there are definately some I love and can watch over and over and others that do become rather a drag to get through. It certainly helps if the leading men are worth watching even if the story line stinks.

The worst one, so far, I have had a hard time getting through is Love Revolution. I seem to keep trying to find other ones to watch instead and only watch this one when there is nothing else! It is so BORING and IRRITATING!

Anyway, of the ones others have seemed to disliked here, I did enjoy Kimi wo Petto and Zettai Kareshi. Yes, the lead actresses in both these dramas were annoying but the lead actors were so delicious to watch I couldn't wait for the next episodes. Zettai Kareshi actually made me very sad at the end, but I don't think there could have been any other ending that would make sense.

I just started watching Honey & Clover and so far, although I do agree with a lot of the opinions about this drama (especially about the guy who loves the older girl he can't have and the girl who loves him but he doesn't seem to give two s***s about) I think I will give it a go and continue to watch it. The weird artist savant is intriguing .... I have hopes for her.

Rin89

Post by Rin89 » Jul 3rd, '08, 08:11

Princess Princess D - it was one big catastrofe... i feel distaste at a mere thought about it

Sailor Moon - Luna robot? Give me a break......

noinimod

Post by noinimod » Jul 4th, '08, 04:43

What?! I thought Bambino was pretty good. Jun Matsumoto played the role extremely well and the cast was IMHO, very well selected and fleshed out their characters really good.

I agree with the rest that HanaKimi and Honey & Clover has gotta be one of the worst jdramas for me. Plot was pretty much non-existent, no clear sense of where the drama is going, VERY slow pace (OMG i hate this the most)

Akiiness

Post by Akiiness » Jul 4th, '08, 05:04

Ditto to whoever listed Hana Kimi, ProDai, Kurosagi, Hana Yori Dango 2 and Gokusen 2. I'm not going to list the reasons since it's going to take forever and the reasons were probably listed before... but just one word to sum it all: overrated.

And they aren't exactly THE worst.

The drama I'll list as THE WORST out there, is Stand Up!!. To this day, I don't even know how I managed to get all the way up to episode 6. It fulfills every category of bad: plotless, shallow, lame, rigged with popular casts (and possibly the best reason why everyone went head first to watch it)... Most of all, I really failed to see what's really so funny about 4 idiots trying to loose their virginity. Seriously.

And for those who hated Honey & Clover the drama, may I recommend the anime to you? It's absolutely NOTHING like the drama, and if you can sit through it, it's really worth so much more of a watch than the drama (and the movie).

airskape

Post by airskape » Jul 4th, '08, 07:14

hana kimi
kimi wa petto
hachi one diver
one pound gospel
sexy voice and robo
iryu 2
seito shokun
battery
first kiss
honey and clover
galileo
rookies

i feel better now :D

v*****a

Post by v*****a » Jul 4th, '08, 19:27

Ok, I wrote a few days ago that I had a high tolerance .... well, I found my limit. Sumire 16. I have tried and tried and tried to watch this but I am officially quitting before I finish the series. Zettai Kareshi may have been just as unrealistic, but at least the robot was likable and there were times that he seemed human (not to mention that Hayami Mokomichi is absolutely delicious!) Sumire, on the other hand, is just plain bizarre and the guy operating her . . . . . C-R-E-E-P-Y! I never read the manga version, so maybe somehow in print the concept worked, but as a life-action drama ... it definitely did NOT, in my opinion.

tsumabukis

Post by tsumabukis » Jul 5th, '08, 00:08

Heh heh... Out of the 25 or so dramas I've watched so far, I have to say the worst one is Blackjack Ni Yoroshiku. I love Tsumabuki, but this was just so boring! About 30 minutes into every episode I was just sitting there thinking "when is this going to end?" I gave up on it about 4 episodes before the end. Maybe one day I'll go back and finish it to see if I missed something amazing. :P

About the others... yeh, I have a really high tolerance. I think you also have to take the drama for what it is.

Hanakimi was very very clearly made expressly for the fangirls, and wasn't taking itself seriously at all. So I think if you come into it expecting the wrong kind of thing, you're going to be disappointed. I went in knowing that with a tagline of "Ikemen Paradise", it wasn't going to be a great work of art, and I was just watching it for the hotties. As such, I enjoyed it. :D

Honey and Clover... yeh... I really disliked Hagu. Her character was just so wishy-washy and had absolutely nothing grabbing you and making you cheer her on. I disliked Takemoto, but, somehow, I don't think he was meant to be liked. This is totally my opinion (and may be influenced by my fangirlism for Ikuta), but I think his character worked, because he was meant to be stupid and pathetic. Hagu was crap because she was supposed to have this spark of something amazing in her, but I just didn't see it. Maybe if we were to see her paintings in real life it would be different, but I didn't think they were anything to write home about either.
The ending of that ticked me off too. I think Takemoto should have left alone, and become stronger for it. And why on earth would you put clovers in a sandwich??
Hiroki's character was great, though. I really liked him. :D

Um. Anyway. That was waaay too in-depth an analysis. Gomen ne! :P

I do disagree with Stand Up!! being in here though... I thought that was a great drama. I laughed my arse off. :P

avontflex

Post by avontflex » Jul 5th, '08, 01:44

proposal daisakusen...

i know pple wil hate me for saying this :P if not for the eye candy yamapi inside n all the raves tt the show is gd, i wont even watch to last episode.i haven even watch the special...not entice to..

i spent 2 whole months watching tt show! set a record as the most dont-wan-to-watch drama but must-watch-finish drama bec so manny pple keep recommending it.aiyo its like when i on my computer the thot is, i tink i better finish watching else i hanging in the air.then everytime i watch its seeing yamapi wan to say i love u but cannot say...

then i cannot ta han i watch zettai kareshi w PD then turn out i rather watch zettai kareshi though they keep making carrot cakes or mousse.

snow_of_dawn

Post by snow_of_dawn » Jul 5th, '08, 14:15

avontflex wrote:proposal daisakusen...

.i haven even watch the special...not entice to..

.then everytime i watch its seeing yamapi wan to say i love u but cannot say...

then i cannot ta han i watch zettai kareshi w PD then turn out i rather watch zettai kareshi though they keep making carrot cakes or mousse.
U know concerning PD,yes i agree the drama's pace was somewhat slow, but i thought that the end of the drama payed up 4 that. And i really think u should give the special a try bec. it has everything that the drama was lacking and i personally really liked it.

As 4 Zettai Kareshi, i don't know abt everyone else,
but though i thought the end was fine (that is being the only possible end), i was greatly pissed off watching the last ep. bec i thought they simply destroyed the whole thing. WHAT'S WITH THAT STUPID RIIKO GOING "I WANT 2 BE WITH NIGHT" ALL OF A SUDDEN :cussing: and soo easily forgetting she was once in love with soshi. i don't know just didn't like it at all
I'd like 2 add another drama 2 my worst watched drama list that is Sora Kara Furu Ichioku no Hoshi , i just watched the whole thing and felt soo happy deleting it off my hard, total waste. Though i really think KimuTaku did a great job with that awful character he was playing, the whole drama was simply..... :thumbdown: i can't even stand 2 talk abt it again (i already said all i wanted on the drama's thread itself :stress: )

avontflex

Post by avontflex » Jul 5th, '08, 16:11

ya i do admit proposal daisakusen ending its stil ok...but pace is stil slow...hahaha...for zettai kareshi, i just think its not v well done but i dont like they made it a tradegy. :( but the eye candy hayami moko is more than enough to substain the dorama... :lol

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Jul 5th, '08, 17:26

I haven't watched it yet , but I get the feeling that Code Blue is a rip on White Tower/House/ER .

I still stand by the fact that JP Hana Kimi pales in comparision to the TW version ( As good as Oguri is in Crows Zero and Rui in HYD , I despised him as Sano ) in just general watchability. I soooo disliked the entire cast from the jp one. Horikita Maki thats her name... I have yet to watch a show with her in it I like. ( Minus Densha and Densha Otoko )

Yukan club was on a level of awful that made me cry , so was Gokusen the III , as there doesn't need to be anymore , they are beating a dead horse.

1 pound no Fukuin...lol. I can't get past the first ep to save my life. I really don't like Kazuya all that much , so he might of silently killed it for me. He was tolerable in Nobuta because Yamapi offset him and Maki helped somewhat because she had very few words and didn't need much acting.

I liked Prodai...I just could not stand Nagasawa Masami's character. She didn't give Ken any chances , and left obscure clues that NO ONE would look for , and she was an all around emo b***h. Every episode I kept saying "Ken , why do you like such a cryptic emo? she's obviously insnae and has mental issues" . All of that was offset by Mikami Hiroshi though. I love him to bits. I alsoooo loved Hamada Gaku's character so much. He was my favorite character in the normal series , he kinda took a small step down in the SP though. Good thing they did a special though , because that ending for the normal series was all kinda of WTF.

Bambino was actually quite good , kinda like Utahime and pretty much any other Nagase drama is supremely undderated for whatever reason.

On a side note , I have yet to watch ROOKIES with Sato Ryuta . I hope for it to be good , because I have a thing for him. I only downloaded it because he was in it. I normally don't even touch sports dramas. ( Prince of Tennis backed me away from those permenantly ).

When it comes to JP dramas , I usually watch them for the actor. I rarely venture out of my range because I find that alot of JP dramas are hard to watch unless you like that specific genre. Like I'm hoping to bits Gon-zo gets subbed because the first ep was awesome. I think more people need to watch that one. Maou holds promise being based on one of my all time fav Korean dramas Mawang/The Devil.

Keep in mind , my opinion comes from being very biased twoards K and TW dramas , but I do try to enjoy JP ones as well. I usually stay within my Jimusho circle when it comes to JP dramas , or people who have been on older dramas I really enjoy. Sato Ryuta is a good example , seeing as how I can't find a JP drama betttter then Ikeburo West Gate Park , and he was in Utahime with Nagase again .

foxtoast

Post by foxtoast » Jul 7th, '08, 04:39

I'm surprised how many people dislike Sumire's character in Kimi wa Petto. I think she's immediately identifiable and sympathetic to unmarried women in professional fields. (Not that you're necessarily like her, but that you understand exactly where she's coming from and how hard it is for someone like her who has trouble being open with her feelings.) I really loved the drama because of that, anyway. It's one of my all-time favorites.

HanaKimi, however, was the worst series I've ever sat through. Unbelievably, indescribably bad. Writing was nonsensical and terrible, "romantic" pairing had NO chemistry, and it was intolerably stupid by any possible measure of silliness or comedy. Just... BAD. I can't believe I watched the whole series vainly hoping it would get decent; it makes the TW version look like high art, and that's saying something. I want those 10 hours of my life back.

Mirai Koshi Meguru is also unforgivably stupid; I made it two episodes into that one. Whiny Kyoko Fukada did not help.

YouLessThanThreeMe

Post by YouLessThanThreeMe » Jul 9th, '08, 15:47

Archaenon wrote:I haven't watched it yet , but I get the feeling that Code Blue is a rip on White Tower/House/ER .
*agree* ...i just finished watching the first episode and I find it hard to connect to it ...to me it looked like somekind of mash of several doctor-series (House/ER ...like you said). My first impression was: It's the japanese attempt of a second Grey's Anatomy. I guess give it a second try by watching the 2nd Episode, BUT I highly doubt it will become a personal favourite of mine :scratch:

michca

Post by michca » Jul 11th, '08, 03:57

Zettai Kareshi...why oh why??? It had possibilities and the fellow who plays Night is gorgeous but meh, it is so bloody boring (I like him better in Hataraki Man, anyway).

Stand up is the only one I haven't been able to get past the first episode, but I think Beach Boys is going to be added alongside it.

Yukan Club I managed to get through till the very last episode. When I saw pretty boy waving around a gun, I just had to throw my hands up in the air and stop watching. Ah well, more space on my hard drive, now that it's gone.

Same with Gokusen 2...why mess with something fun? Didn't even bother touching 3.

Hana Kimi was poo, but it was passable poo because everyone was so darn cute.

I have Honey and Clover, but haven't gotten around to it yet (I have been too enamored of Hataraki Man and some Kdramas (Last Scandal and Powerful Rivals...good stuff))and now I don't think I want to. Thanks for the heads up. Ah well, even more space free now on my hd.

But Galileo and Yahsa as some of the worst?!?! Galileo was just good fun and I liked the chemistry between the two, it was so sweet. Yasha - well come on now, two Ito Hideaki's, both superior humans, one a bit too in love with the other....right there you have all the elements of a great, racy drama, and I liked how they did the ending. Watch it again, because it deserves another chance. :thumright:

Issy

Post by Issy » Jul 11th, '08, 15:15

Itazura na kiss
i don't know what came on me and decided to watch this drama. not even that to finish. well, i try to give most of dramas its fair chance just in case it gets better.
but this drama was from start to finish a comeplete waste of time and total torture to watch. i think it was at the begining of making manga come to live action so it was totally crap.
i like takeshi in there, he was ok but the girl was just too much to handle. her annoying way of saying irie kun at end of her every sentense and shouting his name over and over and over, makes you :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
that was a complete waste of time for me.

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 11th, '08, 15:25

Archaenon wrote: Yukan club was on a level of awful that made me cry , so was Gokusen the III , as there doesn't need to be anymore , they are beating a dead horse.
At first, I hated Yukan Club. But then I realized I was taking this drama way to seriously. I think, by the fifth episode, I realized that if I watched it not expecting anything but crack and a wonky episode scheme that would probably put Scooby Doo to shame -- Yukan Club would actually be enjoyable.

And it was. That's all Yukan Club is, just a feel good retarded Johnny's Jimusho infested drama of nothing. I mean, when a drama resorts to crossdressing, not once, but two times and potty humor I really doubt watching it seriously is worth the effort.

And that I can't hate anything with Yokoyama Yuu. I love him to bits. :whistling: :wub:

As for Gokusen 3, I didn't even bother. You seen one you've seen them all.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jul 11th, '08, 21:11

michca wrote:Zettai Kareshi...why oh why??? It had possibilities and the fellow who plays Night is gorgeous but meh, it is so bloody boring (I like him better in Hataraki Man, anyway).

But Galileo and Yahsa as some of the worst?!?! Galileo was just good fun and I liked the chemistry between the two, it was so sweet. Yasha - well come on now, two Ito Hideaki's, both superior humans, one a bit too in love with the other....right there you have all the elements of a great, racy drama, and I liked how they did the ending. Watch it again, because it deserves another chance. :thumright:

Zettai Kareshi is the worst drama of all time for me. It could have been great (the manga was enjoyable, but had tons of room for improvement), but they really dumbed it down to the point of being unbearable. Riiko was horribly annoying, and the entire plot of her offering to spend a million dollars to buy a robot she didn't even like was excrement. The logical flaw was so bad that I couldn't maintain suspension of disbelief.

The story was overly formulaic without enough actual plot development. Every episode was overdone stupidity from Riiko while she pushed Night away until something made her act briefly nice at the end of the episode, and then it reset at the beginning of the next episode. The character turn arounds were pushed off to the very end of the series and weren't done well in the brief time alloted them. Riiko's choice at the end carried no emotional weight (yeah, I watched the finale just to see the rest of the cast's performances). The writing was hamhanded and juvenile. Night and Soshi both got treated like crap, and Riiko was such a selfish shrew that I wanted to hit her. It says something when you like the "bad" girl better than the lead... and that something isn't pleasant.

While I enjoyed Mokomichi's performance, I didn't have enough emotional investment in the character after all the bland and bad storytelling to get even remotely misty. Riiko didn't really have any emotional investment either. At least Namikiri's fatherly love for Night was good, but that and Soshi's nice guy finishing last bit weren't enough to carry it. It's a shame that the crap writing killed Mokomichi's solid performance.
Poor Soshi is still just the effin consolation prize! So they went from his character getting screwed in the manga to both him and Night getting screwed in the drama... well, technically nobody gets screwed in the drama because Riiko has to set an unrealistic example of chastity to the viewers that goes to the point of even being wigged out by kissing. Hamhanded moralistic whitewashing once again dumbs down another story. What a load of crap! :cussing:
I agree with you about Galileo and Yasha being worth a second chance. Galileo was really fun. It had a sweet chemistry, some good science bits, and lots of fun. The equations were kinda a silly gimmick, and nothing I took too seriously.

Yasha was a great action/thriller drama for me, and yeah it's got a racy element to it too. Probably Ito Hideaki's best performance, and he's done some really good ones, imo. I loved the ending!
I thought the mechanism of the twins' built-in timelimit was a really cool with a recognizable basis in biology. That plausability is really good in sci-fi. On the emotional end of the spectrum, I liked the unspoken way that their mother knew that it was Rin instead of Sei, and the brief bittersweet happiness Rin was able to retain after his "redemption". They didn't have to beat you over the head to get the emotions across. They did it all right, and it really made the drama memorable for me.