[Discussion] Around 40 - Amami Yuki, Fujiki Naohito

Post by raven_frost » Mar 19th, '08, 23:17

* Format: Renzoku
* Broadcast network: TBS
* Broadcast period: 11 April 2008 ~
* Air time: Fridays, 10.00 p.m.

Official Website: http://www.tbs.co.jp/around40/

Synopsis
39-year-old Ogata Satoko (Amami Yuki), is a highly capable psychiatrist who is single. She's forthright, a caring older sister and reliable in her job and in private. Her interests are staying in luxurious Japanese inns, and watching videos of stand-up comedy.

Satoko hasn't had a boyfriend in the past five years. Nevertheless, she derives satisfaction from work, and isn't worried about her finances. Among her good friends that she hangs out with are 35-year-old Morimura Nao (Otsuka Nene), her junior who proclaims that she won't marry, and 39-year-old Oikawa Sadao (Tsutsui Michitaka), her peer since high school days. Satoko is happily enjoying single life.

At an alumni reunion as everyone is on the verge of 40, Takeuchi Mizue (Matsushita Yuki), her good friend since high school who is now a full-time housewife, rushes Satoko into action. "If you want children, you should marry now" and "It's women's happiness", but both are lost on Satoko who isn't convinced.

One day, Satoko attempts to cheer up Nao, who is downcast over a shocking incident, and goes to her favourite hot-spring inn. But there, she coincidentally encounters a breakup between a handsome but somewhat odd man (Fujiki Naohito) and his girlfriend ... ...

Cast
Amami Yuki as Ogata Satoko
Fujiki Naohito as Okamura Keitaro
Otsuka Nene as Morimura Nao
Tsutsui Michitaka as Ohashi Sadao
Matsushita Yuki as Takeuchi Mizue
Akira as Ogata Tatsuya
Sakura as Ogata Maki
Hayashi Ryuzo as Ogata Tomoyasu
Kaga Mariko as Yoshinaga Haruko
Jinbo Satoshi as Takeuchi Akio
Kimura Haruki as Takeuchi Yosuke
Maruyama Tomomi as Shinjo Takafumi (32)
Matsumoto Runa as Ogata Ruka (3)
Matsumoto Wakana as Katayama Haruka
Last edited by raven_frost on Apr 12th, '08, 15:10, edited 2 times in total.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Mar 20th, '08, 23:33

From Yomiuri Daily

TV dramatizes lives of 'ara-four' women
Yuki Kobayashi

A new TBS drama starting in April is about the so-called around 40s, women aged 35-44. Around 40: Chumon no Oi Onna-tachi (Around 40: Women hard to please) features the problems faced by women in this age bracket, casually shortened to the "ara-four" generation.

The women of the ara-four generation live in an era when economic growth and social advances have given them more choices in life.

But some such women find themselves bewildered by an overabundance of choices.

The new drama airs from 10 p.m. on Fridays beginning on April 11, and stars Yuki Amami as the lead character, Satoko Ogata, a 39-year-old single psychiatrist who is fulfilled in both her career and private life.

As the series begins, Satoko is perplexed to find that her friends pity her because they see her as a miserable woman who has given up on marriage and motherhood. She also becomes ill, which leads her to worry about her age.

The drama comically and sometimes bitterly portrays Satoko and other ara-four women who worry about their lives and think about where they might be if they had chosen different paths.

The cast includes veteran actors Naohito Fujiki, Nene Otsuka, Michitaka Tsutsui and Yuki Matsushita, as well as newcomer Akira--a performer in the music and dance unit Exile, acting in a drama for the first time.

Amami has played unusual and eccentric characters in many dramas, including a lawyer in Rikon Bengoshi (2004, Fuji TV) and a teacher in Joo no Kyoshitsu (2005, NTV). This time, however, Satoko in Around 40 is an ordinary woman.

The actress, who is 40 herself, says: "I spent the age of 39 without seriously worrying or feeling pressed. I think this drama will be enjoyable for anyone, whether they are of that age or not."

Explaining how he came up with the idea for the drama, producer Katsuaki Setoguchi said: "There were many women around me who gave birth to their first babies or seemingly suddenly got married around 40. Some women seemed to have completely changed their view of life after recovering from an illness."

Many of the women told him that 40 is "a big turning point for women."

"The number of possible life options for them has increased, but they don't seem to be satisfied with their lives. I thought that was interesting. This [dramatization] project is one we can do right at this very moment, when society is paying attention to the issue," he said.

Since he started organizing the project, he has met more than 300 people in the course of his research. Ninety percent of them are women, including housewives and doctors.

He also has received many requests from TBS employees to meet and talk with their friends or acquaintances of the age.

"They don't [usually] talk much about their feelings, but they actually do want to speak their minds. That's what I felt," Setoguchi said.

The producer says he wants to tell such "ara-four" women that "it's OK to stay just the way you are."

"[Through this drama] I want to help them realize that their mindset can change their lives."

(Mar. 21, 2008)

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » Mar 21st, '08, 01:23

i'm looking forward to this drama!
Love Amami Yuki and Fujiki Naohito!!!

i hope someone subs this ^^

reynardine

Post by reynardine » Mar 22nd, '08, 08:01

Actually, this looks really interesting, doesn't it? I, too, hope someone subs it!

seeshu

Post by seeshu » Apr 3rd, '08, 04:32

Definitely looking forward to this drama. Fujiki Naohito!

Plus, the plot sounds cute.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Apr 3rd, '08, 13:18

Character Profiles

Ogata Satoko, 39 (Amami Yuki)
An outstanding psychiatrist. She loves going to the hot springs, staying alone at luxurious inns and watching videos of stand-up comedy. Her last romance was five years ago and she's leading an enjoyable life as a single together with her good friends Nao and Sadao. "I'll determine my personal happiness." And she doesn't care about the views of those around her but …

Okamura Keitaro, 33 (Fujiki Naohito)
A clinical psychologist who has just joined Satoko's hospital. He is popular with ladies because of his good looks. However, he is fastidious, untactful and even good at household chores because he grew up in a family with three olders sisters. He is deemed a "man who cannot get married" by Satoko.

Morimura Nao, 35 (Otsuka Nene)
Satoko's junior. She is a famous editor of a popular female magazine. Satoko and her are good friends who can say anything to each other. She loves splurging on clothes and beauty products and has no interest in marriage. She has made a declaration that she won't marry but …

Takeuchi Mizue, 39 (Matsushita Yuki)
Satoko's good friend since high school. She's now a full-time housewife and mother of a son. She has a bright and cheerful personality and is talkative but finds herself suffocated by her current life. She feels worried for Satoko who isn't displaying any anxiety about turning 40.

Ohashi Sadao, 39 (Tsutsui Michitaka)
Satoko and Mizue's classmate in high school. He inherited his father's western restaurant. Mild-mannered and collected, he shows more passion for food than for people. He has always carried a torch for Satoko's good friend, Nao.

Yoshinaga Haruko, 61 (Kaga Mariko)
A nurse. Eight years ago, she nursed Satoko's ill-stricken father, Tomoyasu, and he proposed. She is Satoko's trusted confidant.

Ogata Tomoyasu, 69 (Hayashi Ryuzo)
Satoko's father. He is a physician who runs a clinic in a residential area in the outskirts of Tokyo. He had been a prominent doctor at a university hospital when he was young but after his wife died when he was 46, he opened a clinic in order to devote himself to raising their children.

Ogata Tatsuya, 28 (Akira)
Satoko's younger brother. He is a popular hairstylist and also does his sister's hair. He may look sloppy but he is strong-willed and will definitely set out to complete what he's decided to do. Maki was pregnant before he married her.

Ogata Maki, 24 (Sakura)
Satoko's sister-in-law. She had always hoped to marry early and settle down. She pampers her daughter. After she married Tatsuya, she moved in to stay with his parents and leaves the household chores to her mother-in-law. She's very concerned about Satoko's marriage.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Apr 4th, '08, 07:35

Looking forward to this too!! Amami Yuki is always fabulous in comedies! Plus Matsushita Yuki and Otsuka Nene too... great trio combi^^

And the themesong is by Takeuchi Mariya... hoshiii~~ Anyone knows the themesong title?

canon05

Post by canon05 » Apr 4th, '08, 07:50

I'm looking forward to this too!

@raven_frost - would you please post a bigger scan so I would be able to read the scan? Thanks a lot for sharing. :-)

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Apr 4th, '08, 13:08

yanie wrote:Looking forward to this too!! Amami Yuki is always fabulous in comedies! Plus Matsushita Yuki and Otsuka Nene too... great trio combi^^

And the themesong is by Takeuchi Mariya... hoshiii~~ Anyone knows the themesong title?

Amami Yuki collaborates with Takeuchi Mariya for Around 40 theme song

Takeuchi Mariya's first 2008 single, Shiawase no Monosashi will be the theme song of TBS' Friday drama, Around 40 ~ Chuumon no Ooi Onnatachi ~.

The song, which will be released on 21 May, is Takeuchi's third drama theme song after Mouichido from the 1984 drama Kurenaizoku no Hanran, and Koi no Arashi from the 1986 drama Tonari no Onna.

This drama Around 40 ~ Chuumon no Ooi Onnatachi ~ stars Amami Yuki in the lead role and depicts disenchanted women around 40. Amami was formerly from the Takarazuka troupe. A versatile actress with a wide repertoire, she has taken on the role of a singer in a drama and appeared in full-scale musicals.

Takeuchi, who noticed Amami's musical accomplishments, said that she had conveyed her wishes that Amami join in the chorus at the time the drama's theme song was written. Amami was quick to agree and a collaboration between the two women was born.

canon05 wrote:@raven_frost - would you please post a bigger scan so I would be able to read the scan? Thanks a lot for sharing. :-)
Sorry. Can't get it any bigger since it's someone else's scan.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Apr 5th, '08, 16:47

raven_frost, thanks for all the scans and information! I can't wait for this series to start.
raven_frost wrote:
Takeuchi Mariya's first 2008 single, Shiawase no Monosashi will be the theme song of TBS' Friday drama, Around 40 ~ Chuumon no Ooi Onnatachi ~.

The song, which will be released on 21 May, is Takeuchi's third drama theme song after Mouichido from the 1984 drama Kurenaizoku no Hanran, and Koi no Arashi from the 1986 drama Tonari no Onna.
How could they have missed the theme song "Camouflage" from "Nemureru Mori" (Sleeping Forest)? :wub: Takeuchi Mariya even wrote that song herself!

Haruspex
Fansubber
Fansubber

"Around 40"

Post by Haruspex » Apr 5th, '08, 22:05

Hi all,

Thought I'd stop by and leave a note myself. This looks like it will be a very entertaining series... so much so, in fact that, after consulting with my long-time editor Phoenix, we've decided to go ahead and work on english subtitles for "Around 40."

We'll do our best to make them as good as we can. I hope you'll enjoy them!

Haruspex

marspeach

Re: "Around 40"

Post by marspeach » Apr 5th, '08, 22:54

Haruspex wrote:Hi all,

Thought I'd stop by and leave a note myself. This looks like it will be a very entertaining series... so much so, in fact that, after consulting with my long-time editor Phoenix, we've decided to go ahead and work on english subtitles for "Around 40."

Haruspex
Woot! I love your work and am looking forward to this series! So happy you picked it up!!

seeshu

Post by seeshu » Apr 5th, '08, 23:12

Haruspex
Yay! I totally agree with the above poster. I'm totally looking forward to this series, I'm really glad you guys decided to pick it up (otherwise I would have to resort to reading Chinese subs, which usually requires a lot of brain power for me). Now I'm even more excited for this drama to start.

melica37

Post by melica37 » Apr 5th, '08, 23:43

Haruspex
OMG! That is absolutely the best news! Thanks so much for taking on this project.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Apr 6th, '08, 00:13

Terrific news :D Thanks for translating! Can't wait for it to start next week. :mrgreen:

Around 40 TV CMs:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/kgCIP5cNOg4/

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/YT5ODEbJI1U/

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Apr 6th, '08, 00:16

Count me in on the club for those who are "eager to watch/ incredibly thankful for subs" of this one!!!

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Apr 7th, '08, 12:36

From Japan Times:

In the new drama series, "Around 40" (TBS, Friday, 10 p.m.), whose subtitle states its case succinctly: "Chumon no Oi Onnatachi (Women Who Demand a Lot)", Satoko (Yuki Amami) is a 39-year-old clinical psychologist who hasn't been involved in a romantic relationship for five years and prefers it that way. She loves the single life and hanging out with her friend Nao (Nene Otsuka).

In the first episode, Satoko attends a reunion of junior-high-school and high-school classmates. There she meets her former best friend, Mizuho (Yuki Matsushita), a housewife.

Shocked that Satoko is still single, Mizuho tells her that if she ever wants to have a child, she'd better start thinking about getting married right away.

The comment plants a seed in Satoko's brain.

caitlincoffee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by caitlincoffee » Apr 8th, '08, 04:41

I'm getting so excited to finally watch this drama! The plot sounds really interesting even though I'm nowhere near my 40's.

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Apr 9th, '08, 13:27

Amami Yuki on TBS' variety show Pittan Kan Kan to promote Around 40:

Part 1: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/pM1XGB4xj0k/
Part 2: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/pM1XGB4xj0k/

tsutsuchan

Post by tsutsuchan » Apr 9th, '08, 17:01

Haruspex
This news really makes my day. Thank you so much.

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Apr 9th, '08, 17:13

Haruspex
Thanks very much indeed, I was really looking forward to hearing such wonderful news one day or another :) I shall patiently await your work, since this series appears to be very promising. Will you do soft or hard-subs?

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Apr 10th, '08, 23:17

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Apr 11th, '08, 03:13

Haruspex
First THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU for taking on this project!!!

I LOVE Fujiki Naohito! I am very interested in this and he usually picks interesting dramas to do! I can't wait to see this! :D

flavenne

Post by flavenne » Apr 11th, '08, 12:44

Haruspex

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much!
Eagerly looking forward to your subs! ^^
Especially because Nao is in it :3
Last edited by flavenne on Apr 11th, '08, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

Salz

Post by Salz » Apr 11th, '08, 12:59

looking forward for this drama^^
luv Naohito and also like Amami Yuki

fifimimi

Post by fifimimi » Apr 11th, '08, 21:30

ARIGATO Haruspex !!!

I'm so happy and excited to watch this series!!

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Apr 12th, '08, 05:49

Promotional trailer for Around 40: http://fourlc.com/channel1/9/20080405_481.html

Amami Yuki and Fujiki Naohito promoting Around 40 on Ousama no Burunchi (King's Brunch): http://fourlc.com/channel1/9/20080405_479.html

wuff

Post by wuff » Apr 13th, '08, 06:25

THANKS A LOT FOR THE ENGLISH SUBS!!! You made my day perfect!!! XD

Nymphea

Post by Nymphea » Apr 13th, '08, 09:03

Hi there! I'm looking forward to this show too.
I saw that a RAW file is already here. Are there any subs yet?

wuff

Post by wuff » Apr 13th, '08, 09:14

Nymphea wrote:Hi there! I'm looking forward to this show too.
I saw that a RAW file is already here. Are there any subs yet?

not yet, wait patiently! :)

Nymphea

Post by Nymphea » Apr 13th, '08, 09:35

OK, I will but it's SOOO difficult to wait :-)

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Apr 13th, '08, 09:36

yaaa ho glad to hear that this drama will be subbed XD !thank everyone who works on it :)

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Apr 13th, '08, 09:37

Closed captions (that is, Japanese dialogues) can be found here : http://j-drama.co.cc/

sleepyzzz

Post by sleepyzzz » Apr 14th, '08, 15:33

Thanks for subbing this!!! It sounds like it will be a funny one!! Thank u!

seeshu

Post by seeshu » Apr 16th, '08, 23:11

I finally got around to watching the first ep. Kind of cute, but I thought the first ep was also kind of slow in certain points. I hadn't seen Otsuka Nene in anything since "Hero" so I was surprised to see how much she's aged! She's still pretty, but there were moments when I thought she looked older than the main character.
The only thing is that Fujiki Naohito probably only appeared in about 2-3 minute of the entire episode. I was kind of disappointed, but I suppose he was never meant to be the main character. He was good eye candy for those 2-3 minutes though.

wuff

Post by wuff » Apr 17th, '08, 18:27

I have just finished watching the first episode with English sub. (Thanks for it! :)) Well, I have to declare: this is going to be a very good drama. It started a little bit slower than I have expected before, but it has the usual feeling as the other Fujiki Naohito dramas, so I think it will be more and more better step by step. Amami Yuki is so cute! :lol I love her as she playing her role. Thus I would like to recommend it everyone!

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Apr 17th, '08, 19:46

wuff wrote:I have just finished watching the first episode with English sub.
English subs?? They are out? Or you meant : Japanese subs????

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Apr 17th, '08, 23:25

From Televiews, Yomiuri Daily:

In Around 40 (Fridays, 10 p.m., TBS), Yuki Amami plays Satoko Ogata,
a busy, upbeat 39-year-old doctor who still plans to marry and have kids but just has not found the right guy. When her best friend's career stalls and she makes a quick decision to wed at 35, Sakoto finally begins to panic, yet is loath to settle for an arranged marriage.

Despite the preseason hype, this series got off to a slow start with too little action and too much time devoted to careful characterization of Satoko and her friends, who grew up in the booming 1980s. Satoko does not meet new coworker Okamura (Naoto Fujiki) until five minutes before Episode 1 ends. He will likely become the romantic interest in her life but all we know about him so far is that he is into ecology.

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Apr 18th, '08, 03:01

raven_frost wrote:From Televiews, Yomiuri Daily:

In Around 40 (Fridays, 10 p.m., TBS), Yuki Amami plays Satoko Ogata,
a busy, upbeat 39-year-old doctor who still plans to marry and have kids but just has not found the right guy. When her best friend's career stalls and she makes a quick decision to wed at 35, Sakoto finally begins to panic, yet is loath to settle for an arranged marriage.

Despite the preseason hype, this series got off to a slow start with too little action and too much time devoted to careful characterization of Satoko and her friends, who grew up in the booming 1980s. Satoko does not meet new coworker Okamura (Naoto Fujiki) until five minutes before Episode 1 ends. He will likely become the romantic interest in her life but all we know about him so far is that he is into ecology.
Ecology? Shouldn't that be environmentalism?
Hmm, ep1 was indeed kind of slow and conventional, but considering it had to do things like establish Ootsuka Nene's character Nao as a woman who doesn't want to get married, not ever, and then show her subsequently giving up on career fulfillment and jumping into marriage. If it were any faster it wouldn't be convincing.

Also, isn't the very idea to dish out a little bit of Fujiki Naohito so you come back for more? :roll I actually am looking forward to seeing more of his character and what else makes him tick.

wuff

Post by wuff » Apr 18th, '08, 05:18

kiddygrade wrote:
wuff wrote:I have just finished watching the first episode with English sub.
English subs?? They are out? Or you meant : Japanese subs????
The ENGLISH sub :D

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Apr 18th, '08, 15:35

I wonder if there's any significance in the fact that it is Fujiki's character who holds a ring of keys that Amami uses to open various doors in the cartoon-like rendering that goes along with the theme song. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Apr 18th, '08, 15:57

kiddygrade wrote:English subs?? They are out? Or you meant : Japanese subs????
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_60451.htm

I watched the first episode this morning and found the drama to be a tad depressing. But I'll giving this drama another try because add Fujiki Naohito to the mix and maybe a little humor might come out of this drama.

"It's not stinginess, it's eco!" LOL!

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Apr 20th, '08, 01:53

Oh my gosh! I almost fell off my chair when
Keitaro asked if Satoko would date him. Hmm does he gravitate towards women who're like his sisters?

The pace picks up in Ep2. I'm enjoying the detail that goes into fleshing out each of the 3 main female characters and there are so many delightful moments especially the scene with Keitaro at the welcome party.

caitlincoffee
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by caitlincoffee » Apr 22nd, '08, 06:38

I did that too excpet I think some weird screeching sound came out of my mouth from the shock. I definitely liked episode 2 alot better because episode 1 introduced all the characters so now we're getting the juicy story. :w000t:
I wonder if he asked Satoko to go out with him as the real thing because he likes her or if it's just a pretend(like maybe pretending she's his girlfriend to show his sisters or something). I'm almost hoping that he's not REALLY asking her out because I kind of wanted to see the tension build. I like when one character likes the other but they don't say it out loud or they're confused about whether the other likes them back or not. Drama drama drama...
I know I'll be watching this series till the end. :thumright:

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Apr 23rd, '08, 03:40

I just watched the first episode and even though it was a little slow I really liked it! Maybe it is because I am "older" I can relate to some of the things she is going through.

I am so sick of people asking "why aren't you married?" ALL OF THE TIME! It's like if you aren't married by 30 that you should just go kill yourself or something! *rolleyes*

I am looking forward to watching the rest of this "mostly" because of Fujiki Naohito. I think he is adorable and a really good actor (especially in the "uptight" guy roles!) LOL

N-chan

Post by N-chan » Apr 24th, '08, 15:36

Fujiki Naohito is the main reason why i am watching Around 40 even though i can't relate to the storyline that much

"Its not stinginess, its eco" = WIN :D

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 24th, '08, 15:48

MitsukaiKuroi wrote:I just watched the first episode and even though it was a little slow I really liked it! Maybe it is because I am "older" I can relate to some of the things she is going through.

I am so sick of people asking "why aren't you married?" ALL OF THE TIME! It's like if you aren't married by 30 that you should just go kill yourself or something! *rolleyes*

I am looking forward to watching the rest of this "mostly" because of Fujiki Naohito. I think he is adorable and a really good actor (especially in the "uptight" guy roles!) LOL
at first, i wanted to watch it beacuse of naohito but after watching the full ep, even though i thought it was slow but ireally love it. it is really well written, i could so relate to it even though i am not 40 yet. :P

canon05

Post by canon05 » Apr 25th, '08, 06:51

This drama is really good! The housewife part sounds like the housewife in Mada Koi wa Hajimaranai, but this is way much better. ^^

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » Apr 26th, '08, 15:16

How crafty they were to have implied that
Keitaro wanted to ask Satoko to go out with him with double use of the word. With the grudging admiration they're gradually developing towards each other, I suppose that question might be a sincere one the next time it's uttered.

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » Apr 28th, '08, 10:14

I love Around 40!
I don't think you have to be able to "relate" to the story to feel deeply about it. I think trying to understand the character's situations even though they might not even remotely be similar to your own is a form of trying to relate the story as well.

irie^nad

Post by irie^nad » May 1st, '08, 20:10

this drama is getting better :)
I like ep 3..seems like they are starting to develop feelings towards each other

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » May 2nd, '08, 12:21

Kato Masaya guest stars in Ep 4 & 5! :wub:

lunas

Post by lunas » May 2nd, '08, 15:32

I really enjoy this series but I don't really like how they always mentioned her age. The story line should steer clear of her age in the conversation for every episode and start focus on other aspects of her life.

tarobz

Post by tarobz » May 5th, '08, 01:38

i love this drama tho im not 40!!! i kinda know how she'd feel. the ending song is really catchy

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » May 5th, '08, 02:49

lunas wrote:I really enjoy this series but I don't really like how they always mentioned her age. The story line should steer clear of her age in the conversation for every episode and start focus on other aspects of her life.
I am not Asian but from discussions with several of my friends that are Korean and Chinese it seems that age is a MAJOR issue in Asia.

There is so much pressure on women to be married by 30 and/or successful if they are not. If you don't have a child there is even more pressure and one of my friends (Chinese) said to me that she felt forced to marry her husband. They get along well but when I asked her if she loved him she said,"I respect him." Hmmmm.... Her family constantly told her that if she waited til 30 he would find someone else so she "gave in" at age 27 and married him.

I know this is a Japanese drama but my other friend from Korea claims that is the same all over Asia. Age is VERY important and that is why there is a strong focus and constant mentioning about it in this drama. It is a major issue right now because a lot of Japanese (and Korean) women are not getting married, dropping out of their jobs and having babies while their husband works and does what he wants to do while they sit home patiently and clean and cook.

I am only repeating what they have said to me and if someone that is Asian would like to chime in and give their opinion on the age issue it would be great! :D

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » May 8th, '08, 20:34

I just finished the 4th episode.... the scenes between yuiki and nahohito are so cute!!!
what I really like about this show is that the three woman are at three different stages of their life... and yet none of them are truly satisfied with her life. As well, why says happiness of a woman is truly marriage and kids?
right now... i think the mizue is at the best place right now...although her "goal" seems foolish to others.. but she's striving to achieve what she thinks is best for herself... But she's a little naive... i hope she does more than just sit ups for 6 years...

algelic

Post by algelic » May 9th, '08, 13:03

I just watched episode 4!
Why... oh WHY did they have to bring a love triangle now?!
Satoko shouldn't have given the other guy another chance! He left her without a word... and she hadn't seen him in 5 years! :cussing: I would have told him to go away and leave me alone. But I guess since she recently decided to get married and have a child, when he showed up it was like a wonderful opportunity. Still, no matter how much she's desperate to marry, she shouldn't have taken him back.

Oh please tell me he won't be in the show until the end! I hope he'll only be here for another episode or two.

Naohito is so CUTE! :wub: Well.. he's the main reason why I decided to watch this.
I see Okamura is really falling for Satoko. I felt so bad for him, when she canceled their "date".

Mizue is so annoying! :crazy: Not just naive, but stupid. First falling for Okamura-sensei. Then she did everything to separate him and Satoko (telling him about Satoko's ex-boyfriend). Now she has the "masterplan" of doing situps for 6 years and then leaving her husband... when in fact she pretty much depends on him for everything. She couldn't even find a job.

Poor Nao! She married mostly so she wouldn't end up alone. And now she finds out she can't have a baby. I want her to leave her husband and get together with the restaurant's owner... Sadao.

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 11th, '08, 21:24

Couldnt get past ep 1 cos i found it slow. But with all ur gd reviews here it looks like i gota pick it up again since i'm nearly 40!

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » May 11th, '08, 22:20

The series really reminds me of a lot of my friends! LOL

I actually had a friend that did the things that Satako and Mizue are doing in episode 4!

Personally I think that
Mizue is doing what a lot of wives are starting to do in their 40s and 50s. They give their time to their family and lose themselves in their 20s and 30s but eventually they get tired and want more.

A friend of mine did the same thing that she is doing with Okamura... She met a younger guy and suddenly she decided that she wanted a divorce and that she wanted this guy. She started feeling beautiful again and we all saw how she started working out, getting her hair done and dressing herself up.

What do you think happened??? Her husband started to notice her again!!! I wonder if that is what is going to happen to Mizue?
And as for Satoko and
Mr "Boyfriend From The Past"..... :scratch: I just don't get it myself but I know someone else that did the same stupid thing!!! Let the person come back into her life, fell for them and he left her again!!!

I assume that Satoko wants marriage, kids and the love of her life and she feels that time is running out and if she doesn't jump on it that she will miss out.
I think it is so sad when women settle for things in their hopes of happiness... :-(

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » May 15th, '08, 15:06

This is slowly becoming one of my favourite dramas this season. Initially felt that the drama was too slow, but it's really growing on me. You really don't need to be 'around 40' to enjoy this show.

Episode 5 was really good!
Fujiki Naohito and Amami Yuki really have such good chemistry with each other. The scene with both of them at the rooftop where Satoko ribbed Okamura abt not having a girlfriend and his stinginess was so cute. And you could really tell that Okamura really likess Satoko, going to the extent of making the effort to reach out and counsel Kanasugi-san.

And although I really disliked the ex-bf Kanasugi-san, and was glad to see him go, I loved the ending scene of both of them at the beach where he took photos of Sakoto. It was so touching and Satoko really looked lovely.

Can't wait to see Satoko and Okamura's relationship develop further although there seems to be some hiccups in episode 6.

Also I have to say that Amami Yuki is really such a classic beauty! This is the first drama I've seen her in, and she is so natural and has such flawless skin! Can't believe that she's 41 in real life. She looks so much younger compared to Otsuka Nene.

Always liked Fujiki Naohito since Love Revolution, and though he's showing a bit of age (too skinny I think), it's still really enjoyable watching him in this drama. His character is a little like Buchou in Hotaru no Hikari, really cute.

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » May 15th, '08, 15:13

I'm loving this drama too XD the chemistry between Satoko & Okamura, so cutee~
Definitely 1 of my favs this season ^^

irie^nad

Post by irie^nad » May 15th, '08, 15:22

joykimlee wrote:Couldnt get past ep 1 cos i found it slow. But with all ur gd reviews here it looks like i gota pick it up again since i'm nearly 40!
yes...the 1st episode is very slow.but believe me.just get over it and you'll find the next episode is so much better :D

Billion

Post by Billion » May 16th, '08, 07:02

I'm really liking this drama. I watched all four episodes today and I can't wait for subs for ep5. They're really taking their time developing the relationship between Okamura and Ogata but that's ok cause it's realistic. I wonder how long Kato Masaya's plot point will hang around - hopefully they won't drag it for a majority of the show. How many episodes is this supposed to be?

Is it just me or is Naohito looking a bit old for 33? He's 35 now but still! He's still good looking though. :wub:

I think Kato Masaya is also pretty good looking even though they made him look real old here.

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » May 16th, '08, 07:36

Yup, I agree. Kato Masaya looks quite good. The very rugged adventurer sort of look. He also must be really tall cos he towered over Amami Yuki who is quite tall already. If Kanasugi-san is the benchmark for Satoko's broad shoulders criteria, it's no wonder Okamura falls short. :P

Yeah, Fujiki is looking weathered and a bit tired for 35 years, esp around the eyes. He looked the best in Love Revolution. :wub:

I'm sure you'll enjoy watching episode 5! :)

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » May 16th, '08, 07:59

I was a bit shocked at kato Masaya's apperance, actually *lol*
I've been a fan of his for some time but saw him last in Unfair, and suddenly he looked like that in Around 40 - I thought I had been away for quite a long time for him to change this much xD

lenrasoon

Post by lenrasoon » May 18th, '08, 16:47

i'm addicted to Around 40, i love the chemistry between Fujiki Naohito and Amami Yuki!!

emmy21

Post by emmy21 » May 18th, '08, 17:58

Was eagerly waiting for episode 6 this week.... I preferred episode 5 but it was nice to see Fujiki in a suit :P

Who is that woman who has Okamura's house key? From the episode 7 trailer, it looks like that strange woman from the marriage agency. In the earlier episodes when Satoko first went to the marriage agency, there was a scene with Okamura as a delivery man? Wonder what's the relationship? This subplot does seem really odd, but hopefully the writers handle it well.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » May 22nd, '08, 00:53

emmy21 wrote:Was eagerly waiting for episode 6 this week.... I preferred episode 5 but it was nice to see Fujiki in a suit :P

Who is that woman who has Okamura's house key? From the episode 7 trailer, it looks like that strange woman from the marriage agency. In the earlier episodes when Satoko first went to the marriage agency, there was a scene with Okamura as a delivery man? Wonder what's the relationship? This subplot does seem really odd, but hopefully the writers handle it well.
Oohh lol i didn't remember that lady.
I was happy with the ending... this show always make me feel happy :)

Now only if Nao leaves her husband for the cook....

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » May 24th, '08, 08:46

emmy21 wrote:Was eagerly waiting for episode 6 this week.... I preferred episode 5 but it was nice to see Fujiki in a suit :P

Yeah it was nice seeing him in a suit but it also showed how gaunt he is now compared to a few years earlier. He seems to have been working hard ever since he settled down.
I think that the woman is his sister but I guess the trailer made it look like it could be one of his girlfriends which would be rather implausible.

motao

Post by motao » May 29th, '08, 04:57

(Deleted)
Last edited by motao on Jun 24th, '08, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

airskape

Post by airskape » Jun 1st, '08, 12:20

i just started watching ep 1 and found it quite interesting.
although it seems very similar to kekkon dekinai otoko..except the main character is swapped around..
they even have the same profession..lol

mewific

Post by mewific » Jun 9th, '08, 09:24

I love love love this drama! I love the way they developed the characters in the story. I can also relate to Ogata-sensei. This is one of my season faves!

wuff

Post by wuff » Jun 9th, '08, 10:17

I have just finished watching ep 9 -thanks for the eng sub, again! :-) -, and this was the best episode to me. I couldn't stop laughing.
it was so funny when the three women and three men were sitting at the tables in the beginning and were talking. But definitely the last minutes were fantastic! I was so curious about that ring box. And finally he didn't give her a real ring! :lol so sad, but funny. I was so surprised as Satoko, while she was opening it. A wooden ring. :D :D
and yeah: Nao's sentence was a big shock for me. :mrgreen: I didn't think that she will leave her husband after going back. But the welcome from her husband was so cold... I hope Ma-kun and she will get together.

Auntie Mame

Post by Auntie Mame » Jun 9th, '08, 18:26

This is a great series. I'm sure there are many of us, women, who can identify with the issues presented in this drama.

Thank you so much for taking on the task of translating and sharing this drama with us.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jun 10th, '08, 02:54

Auntie Mame wrote:This is a great series. I'm sure there are many of us, women, who can identify with the issues presented in this drama.
I really feel that I have been in ALL three of the situations (except wanting a baby) so I can really relate to all of them. This is an excellent drama and I am glad that I started watching it!

The sad thing is that they all sought out what we as women have been told "this is happiness' and all of them are realizing that they have to define their own happiness. It is sad that so many of us women don't do that.