[Discussion] Zettai Kareshi / Absolute Boyfriend

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » May 3rd, '08, 01:13

RoosterMcTey wrote:
Heehee! That's Mizushima Hiro, who plays Asamoto Soshi, actually! It's a screencap from Kamen Rider Kabuto. :cheers:
Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything

taeluv

Post by taeluv » May 3rd, '08, 02:30

RoosterMcTey wrote:
taeluv wrote:Thank you so much! :D BTW who is the hottie in your avatar?
Heehee! That's Mizushima Hiro, who plays Asamoto Soshi, actually! It's a screencap from Kamen Rider Kabuto. :cheers:
ahhh he looks older there, but no less hot :D

cute_angel

Post by cute_angel » May 3rd, '08, 03:26

Mokomichi-kun is SUPER HOT as Tenjo Night!! :wub:

master

Post by master » May 4th, '08, 00:54

cute_angel wrote:Mokomichi-kun is SUPER HOT as Tenjo Night!! :wub:
his smile is sooo silly it's annoying

Peggy

Post by Peggy » May 4th, '08, 01:23

really enjoying this drama. It is so funny and so impossible ...just like daydreaming. I love the robot but I am also glad that he is like a robot despite his charm. Otherwise it would be too unbelievable. I think a romance between Soshi and Riiko would be perfect eventually. Robot actor is so good saying risque things but looking so innocent. Proves that he is not really human don't you think?

Peg

Bodhi

Post by Bodhi » May 4th, '08, 12:11

Here's a bunch of screen shots of the first episode
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 5th, '08, 15:41

This live action seem to lack the addictive element compared to the manga was super-addictive. Of course Mokomichi-kun is simply drooling drop dead gourgeous here.

vulgarshudder

Post by vulgarshudder » May 6th, '08, 04:09

I am loving this!! It's kinda silly and fun, perfect tuesday escapism!

Mokomichi is great as Night. Even though, I used to see him around in ads and things and I didn't like him, I thought his neck was too long , I was even going to give this dorama a miss because of it :blink

I don't know what I was thinking, he is really realllllly gorgous, I'm a convert :wub:

I want mooore!!!

sakuratje

Post by sakuratje » May 6th, '08, 17:12

Love Zettai Kareshi!
Mokomichi = HOTNESS :mrgreen: :wub:
I hope the'll be many more romance-scenes between Rikko and Knight :D

and episode 4 is supossed to air today :O i can't wait :w00t:

gelmar

Post by gelmar » May 6th, '08, 17:30

I love this series. Hiro and Mokomichi act really well. I like how Mokomichi puts up that dumb, but charming robotic smile. And Hiro is very cute being obsessed with the puffs.
The show is really relaxing, and very funny. I don't know for who to cheer to end up with Riko.
I'm Hiro's fangirl, but the robot character has also won my heart over. I feel sorry for him, whenever Riko rejects him.

RoosterMcTey

Episode 4 Raw Streaming

Post by RoosterMcTey » May 7th, '08, 00:52

Whoever used to post these - I'm sorry if I'm stepping on your territory! I just happened to check and they were there, so I thought I'd share while I was at it. :D

The streaming links for Episode 4
Part 1:
http://fourlc.com/channel1/5/08fh/20080506_707.html

Part 2:
http://fourlc.com/channel1/5/08fh/20080506_708.html

Though the quality, from first glance, looks way worse than usual (haven't actually watched the ep myself yet.)

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » May 7th, '08, 01:24

Thank for the links Rooster!

I thought I'd post a little rant i had after watching episode 3:

What the hell is riika doing? I wonder... sure it was funny at first when she got "the chills" whenever naito would say sweet things to her (or suggest doing more *wink*), but you would think after she BOUGHT him, for such a HUGE amount of money that she's gonna have to pay till the day she dies that she would CARE more for her "purchase"!!!!
Arg! How can she expect naito to act human if she doesn't tell him anything? She only refuses him and does nothing to fix her situation with him... manga riika at least had the excuse of being a ditzy teenager, but dorama riika is an adult!
Is there any point in the change of place now? Zettai Kareshi writers: I implore you to put more thought in what you write!
Come on, the plot can give sooooo much more...

*BIG sighs* anyway, I'll still tune in, only because I adore naito (and drool for michi).

wuff

Post by wuff » May 7th, '08, 15:06

master wrote:
cute_angel wrote:Mokomichi-kun is SUPER HOT as Tenjo Night!! :wub:
his smile is sooo silly it's annoying

I agree. I'm sorry for saying this but the male characters in this drama are talentless for these roles... I could imagine them in very hot girlish dramas but not in this one...

jica

Post by jica » May 7th, '08, 17:53

How annoying, Riko wa...

I hope it will get better, but right now (ep 4), the girl is soooo annoying. It's like she doesn't realize Knight is a robot, responding to him like he is a human with his own thinking. She doesn't treasure him at all, say even as a possession. :x

Things have to change soon, or as the main character, Riko could kill the drama.... T_T

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 7th, '08, 18:14

jica wrote:How annoying, Riko wa...

I hope it will get better, but right now (ep 4), the girl is soooo annoying. It's like she doesn't realize Knight is a robot, responding to him like he is a human with his own thinking. She doesn't treasure him at all, say even as a possession. :x

Things have to change soon, or as the main character, Riko could kill the drama.... T_T
ep4 does not get any better either. I feel so depressed...the manga ending was sad. episode 4 made me even more sad. Seems like there's no chemistry going on at all.
Night is still acting so robotic. I am not even noticing as progressing to try and be human cuz he likes Riko. He's just programmed. He forgot about her when he got reset. In the manga at least he called her ex-gf. He didn't even seem to recognize her as that. In the end at least he remembered her name. Seems her name was retained in his database somewhere. Riko still doesn't seem to have any real feelings for Night either. She treats him like her possession. She gets possessive cuz he's giving her the cold shoulder. Seems not cuz she likes him but cuz she owns him and he's not doing his job as her ideal bf. At least she ran out on Soshi to save Night in the fire. Not sure if the reason is cuz she doesn't want Night to die or doesn't want her expensive purchase to be burned cuz she still has to pay for it.

jica

Post by jica » May 7th, '08, 18:28

seirin wrote:
ep4 does not get any better either. I feel so depressed...the manga ending was sad. episode 4 made me even more sad. Seems like there's no chemistry going on at all.
Night is still acting so robotic. I am not even noticing as progressing to try and be human cuz he likes Riko. He's just programmed. He forgot about her when he got reset. In the manga at least he called her ex-gf. He didn't even seem to recognize her as that. In the end at least he remembered her name. Seems her name was retained in his database somewhere. Riko still doesn't seem to have any real feelings for Night either. She treats him like her possession. She gets possessive cuz he's giving her the cold shoulder. Seems not cuz she likes him but cuz she owns him and he's not doing his job as her ideal bf. At least she ran out on Soshi to save Night in the fire. Not sure if the reason is cuz she doesn't want Night to die or doesn't want her expensive purchase to be burned cuz she still has to pay for it.
Yeah, there's no chemistry at all. T_T
She seems to see him as a freak, someone she gets 'yerks' over. Really, how can he be her ideal boyfriend, she doesn't seem to be very impressed by him or even attracted to him.

But really, the chemistry between Riko and Soushi is a bit more (than in the manga). In the end I will be split about who to cheer for. ^^;

rurounimon

Post by rurounimon » May 8th, '08, 02:43

Hmmm, am I weird for liking the drama more than the manga so far? Not just 'cause of the hot actors, but how Riiko's a bit more realistic. Although she's annoying, she's smarter than the other office ladies, not falling for him immediately because of his cute words and gorgeous looks. We'll see how the rest of the shows go!

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 8th, '08, 05:48

rurounimon wrote:Hmmm, am I weird for liking the drama more than the manga so far? Not just 'cause of the hot actors, but how Riiko's a bit more realistic. Although she's annoying, she's smarter than the other office ladies, not falling for him immediately because of his cute words and gorgeous looks. We'll see how the rest of the shows go!
It's not that she's not falling for him cuz of his sweet words and good looks. It's cuz she knows he's a robot. If she didn't know, she would probably be like the other girls too.

On another note. I don't know if she's being annoying or not. I think she's acts rather rude and childish actually. Maybe she's suppose to be young and not know any better. I dunno...

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » May 9th, '08, 01:02

jica wrote:ep4 does not get any better either. I feel so depressed...the manga ending was sad. episode 4 made me even more sad. Seems like there's no chemistry going on at all.
I like the series but I have to agree that i do not feel chemistry with any of the characters at all.

And even though I find Mokomichi to be a very attractive man he doesn't "turn me on" personally. I just don't see him as the "ultimate boyfriend". (Just IMO) I think that he is doing his best with the role but there is something "missing" for me.

Again... I am enjoying the show, and I will stick with it, but I would have cast the main 3 differently.

Matthaios

Post by Matthaios » May 9th, '08, 03:47

rurounimon wrote:Hmmm, am I weird for liking the drama more than the manga so far? Not just 'cause of the hot actors, but how Riiko's a bit more realistic. Although she's annoying, she's smarter than the other office ladies, not falling for him immediately because of his cute words and gorgeous looks. We'll see how the rest of the shows go!
I haven't read the manga, but I agree with you about Riko being realistic. Night is a robot, what can you expect? Just because hes the "perfect" boyfriend, you can't expect her to just fall madly in love with him. The drama shows hints of an opening towards him, but she acts realistically by being turned off by the fact that he isn't human.
I think the end of ep 4 where Night retains the memory of her name is the turning point for him. From here on he will slowly start to become more human like and form a personality of his own. Riko will soon notice this and then she will be conflicted between who to choose.

melonyhappy

Post by melonyhappy » May 9th, '08, 04:31

me too! I'm not a big fan of the manga, it's so..predictable. I really like how the lead has a talent of her own.. the boss is pretty cool.

I hope she ends off with the chief...though

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 9th, '08, 12:41

Don't you guys think it would have more tension, however, if Knight acted more human - maybe from learning how to be more human. And also stopping the stupid sounds when he turns his head or blinks sometimes. If Knight acted more human, there would be more excitement - Rika perhaps maybe falling in love with him and thus the conflict of loving a robot. And the conflict of "who will she choose".

However, at the moment, it is clear that Knight is never more than a robot, and that clearly Soushi is the one that she likes. I'm a little bit (or a lot) disappointed that this hasn't turned into more of a love triangle. Instead, it is Rika getting annoyed at Knight and falling in love with Soushi. I think it could have been more.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 9th, '08, 16:55

Actually after some thoughts, Night has no redeeming qualities of trying to become more human at all. Even at the end of ep4 when he remember Riko's name. It's not a system glitch and he over came it. It seems more like, when Mika kissed him, Riko's profile got logged off and Mika logged on. Hence he forgot who was Riko. When Riko kissed him, Mika got logged off and Riko got logged on. So her system profile must be somewhere in his memory. Now...if he still remembers Mika, does that mean Night actually loves Mika rather than Riko? :lol

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 9th, '08, 22:15

I agree with your analogy. However, I think he will remember Mika, because in Riko's profile he knows her. That's just the way that I thought it worked, so when he said her name, I was like "Ok, he's just gone back to the way things were before", it never occurred to me to think "awww, he remembers her".

maakopla

Post by maakopla » May 11th, '08, 21:02

Don't you guys think it would have more tension, however, if Knight acted more human - maybe from learning how to be more human. And also stopping the stupid sounds when he turns his head or blinks sometimes. If Knight acted more human, there would be more excitement - Rika perhaps maybe falling in love with him and thus the conflict of loving a robot. And the conflict of "who will she choose".

However, at the moment, it is clear that Knight is never more than a robot, and that clearly Soushi is the one that she likes. I'm a little bit (or a lot) disappointed that this hasn't turned into more of a love triangle. Instead, it is Rika getting annoyed at Knight and falling in love with Soushi. I think it could have been more.
I agree. There is not gonna be love triangle at all if this goes on. Actually from the very start I never liked Night being a robot. I read the manga back then but in it Riiko fell for Night just too deep too soon. I don't mind her not falling for Night at all but then this drama won't have any point.... Why does he have to be a robot?!!! :alcoholic:

****some light spoilers********'
Right now I feel like ranting a bit. I just finished watching ep 3 and meh, it actually bored me a bit. It's a pity to see how this drama is turning into just another Jdrama. Main girl is an unlucky office lady. Every time she lies it's so awkward. I don't know how it's pssible to beleive her. And a woman whom she considers a good friend is actually a vicious fox! Riiko's landlady is actually a pervert who just wants to peek at Night all the time. There is a bartender woman who's a good freind and always has something philosphical to say. Soshi and his bro have big problems in understanding each other due to some past unhappy happening. (I suppose) and now there was this creampuff deal...

Well. Night seemed more robot than ever in episode 3. I know Riiko is actually treating him just as machine (as she should)but I pity him so much. It almost feels like he has feelings, poor Night. His charm has affected me xD I wonder if it will ever be possible for Night to make some "evli deeds" since he is feeling jelousy, sadness and happiness. Anyways, I want to see his braclet turn pink

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » May 11th, '08, 21:16

Lacks exitement n chemistry. Still good to watch but it's let down my high hopes as my fav manga. Mokomichi is super cute but sad to say his acting here is too robotic . He may b a robot but there's jus no charm from him performing it. Riko is totally un-kawaii from trying to act kawaii. On the other hand, Hiro's more charming than expected considering i didn't think his looks n height wld measure up to Mokomichi b4.

Issy

Post by Issy » May 11th, '08, 21:34

I think this is one manga that is difficult to make into live action drama.
in manga, you know knight is a robot but in the process of reading, you tend to forget this fact and keep rooting for knight and riko to end up together

i am one of those peple who also think mokomichi's knight is to robotic for me and this what makes it people hard to sympethise with his role. yes, he is a robot, but does he need to be that robotic in his action?
i thought the whole idea of making him like this in the first place was fro people to feel like having a natural boyfriend and with him acting like a total robot, how can riko feel anything but machine towards him.
we only needed to know (or be reminded) of the fact that he is not human in 1st ep.and i sensed so much lack of chemistry in the air too. (but was that intentionally ?)
And even though I find Mokomichi to be a very attractive man he doesn't "turn me on" personally. I just don't see him as the "ultimate boyfriend". (Just IMO) I think that he is doing his best with the role but there is something "missing" for me.
exactly my thoughts too.

the only delight i found in this drama that makes me keep on watching is Hiro. before watching, i was not so happy about him being in 2nd place but now i totally love and adore his role. he is just perfect in that. all i want to see is more and more hiro scenes.

kgobea

Zettai Kareshi Love!!

Post by kgobea » May 11th, '08, 22:04

well it is a funny drama. i haven't read the manga so i'm sure what to expect or even compare the show with, but i'm just sitting back and relaxing waiting to see all the twists and turns the writers have come up with. Riiko obviously has some kind of feelings for Night cause she did buy him. And maybe for her she likes to start out as friends. idk. but thats just my opinion....well im excited to see ep 4 ~~ bye fellow addicts

nezinu5

Post by nezinu5 » May 12th, '08, 08:04

I bet, they would make the ending Night+Mika and Soshi+Riiko :evil: :hissy: ...

They could make such a great love romance drama, but it's too funny and childish, no emotions, no chemistry. Riika don't even like Night a bit. And that Soshi is so childish.

Just sad.

:cry:

arienai

Post by arienai » May 12th, '08, 08:08

seirin wrote:
jica wrote:How annoying, Riko wa...

I have to agree with this. I had high hopes for the drama because the manga was so involving emotionally. When I watch the drama, all I get a sense of from Saki's acting is that Night is a hindrance, she wants to get rid of him, ENDLESS pouting and temper tantrums with only a dash of the exactly the same flashbacks when she actually considers to "save" him from being scrap.

It's kind of sad that the manga characters (who were in high school) seem to be much more mature than the drama characters - especially Riiko.

Unfortunately I find myself fast forwarding the episodes now, the character development in the manga was much better imho. =/

lunas

Post by lunas » May 12th, '08, 13:16

With the way Riiko act, it make you wonder why did she agree to keep Night in the first place. What's her purpose? I know he's robot and all but Riiko should at least backup her reason for keeping Night. [/spoiler]

GoddessCarlie

Post by GoddessCarlie » May 12th, '08, 14:09

I tend to blame the feeling of Knight being too robotic not on the actor but the script and the sound effects. The sound effects are the most obvious - how can we forget that he is a robot if they keep playing those rediculas noises every time he moves?

As for the script, personally I would have liked to see a robot as intelligent as Knight learn how to be more human. Fair enough he's acting like a robot, cause he is. But he doesn't seem to learn. Riko has input information that he is to act as her cousin, he should say "I'm her cousin". He should be doing funnier non-human "mistakes" and then learn from them.

And some of his actions should be appreciated by Riko more. If they were, he would seem more human in that regards too. But instead, everything is pushed away.

Anyway, just some thoughts

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 12th, '08, 17:48

maakopla wrote: Actually from the very start I never liked Night being a robot. I read the manga back then but in it Riiko fell for Night just too deep too soon. I don't mind her not falling for Night at all but then this drama won't have any point.... Why does he have to be a robot?!!! :alcoholic:

Scifi is used to make social critiques or delve into psychological realms where more realistic dramas couldn't go or could be too offputting. Night is a robot because at it's core Zettai Kareshi is the dilemma of a female reaching maturity at the point where we have to choose between our fantasy of the perfect partner or the reality of a human being with all his flaws. No human will ever match the exact ideals that you pick out in your head, thus to take this to it's fullest extension Night has to be something that isn't human. In the long run, as a robot, Night can't be the ideal partner either...
Hence the fact that Night (the fantasy) has to die for Riiko to move forward into adulthood and the reality of a relationship.
Manga Riiko just doesn't think about things like growing old together or starting a family when making her choices... and when looking strictly at the present, Night can still look perfect. If Night wasn't a robot, this would be just the same old romantic comedy we've seen a million times before without much psychological statement. Guy A or Guy B....

Unfortunately the drama writers are turning it into something less than that... a mess with poorly defined character choices and no adhesion to the themes inherent in the story.

@GoddessCarlie and arienai

I agree with everything you both just said.

arienai

Post by arienai » May 12th, '08, 19:54

GoddessCarlie wrote:I tend to blame the feeling of Knight being too robotic not on the actor but the script and the sound effects. The sound effects are the most obvious - how can we forget that he is a robot if they keep playing those rediculas noises every time he moves?

As for the script, personally I would have liked to see a robot as intelligent as Knight learn how to be more human. Fair enough he's acting like a robot, cause he is. But he doesn't seem to learn. Riko has input information that he is to act as her cousin, he should say "I'm her cousin". He should be doing funnier non-human "mistakes" and then learn from them.

And some of his actions should be appreciated by Riko more. If they were, he would seem more human in that regards too. But instead, everything is pushed away.

Anyway, just some thoughts
This is true. Hopefully episode 5 redeems this as from the preview it seems like this is the episode where Night is supposed to gain self-awareness.

Perhaps the drama writers are trying to put both Night and Soushi on equal grounds before setting up the love triangle. As it was before in the manga, Soushi had the advantage of being the osanajimi (childhood friend) whereas Night had the advantage of being perfect AND acting human. This way, they both start off with a clean slate with Riiko, giving both a chance?

I'm trying to be optimistic about this. The truth is, I am growing to despise Saki's little-girl-all-about-me-and-my-chastity *pout**pout* act... Sorry to Saki fans.... no offense, just my opinion.

Meecha

Post by Meecha » May 13th, '08, 13:13

omgosh i luv episode 5 <3
this prob the best ep so far and i luv it
the humor is absolute lovely :wub:
oh and the romance :wub:
i squealed at every scene Night tries to do sth for Riiko :lol
Night's starting to act strange here,hehe
whenever he sees Riiko with Soshi he starts acting strange and then doesn't remember anything before that. And an important note is that in these scenes, his "system" is kinda blurry, hmm, may be emphasizing he's becoming more human? :wub:
can't wait for next episode <3<3

RoosterMcTey

Post by RoosterMcTey » May 13th, '08, 15:24

Vincentx

Post by Vincentx » May 13th, '08, 21:46

Ooh, Thank you for the links ^^
They usually don't work for me, but they did this time xDD

Sooo Episode 5...
It's been a while since I read the manga, but I feel it the drama differs alot. Its not a bad thing - I mean you get different takes on the same idea n' such. Infact I like it when they're different ^^

Bah! I almost wanted to cry at the end =/ I feel so bad for Night, even though he's obviously a robot. He tries so hard yet Riiko is entirely oblivious and not paying attention.[and focused on Soshi] Like when he bought the expensive book as a present, she didn't even take note. I wonder if this an intended feeling? Or is it just me that feels like this? haha, wether I'll feel the same with subtitles helping me understand or not I don't know.

Night's obvious jealously was prominent in this, more so in the first half. You're right about his system going all blurry. My first thought was that he was developing a double personality disorder, haha// I suppose it could be him becoming more human, or it could be him breaking down [I believe something like that happened in the manga? -not sure-] 'cause the data analysis wasn't working either? He didn't answer to being called 01 by Gaku so perhaps thats a sign of him surpassing his programming, or something.

I didn't get fully what was going on with the cream puffs, but it wasn't going well. And Soshi got demoted?

Ahh, I think of things while I'm watching but can't recall them afterwards. n_n

Haha, the preview - did her parent arrive? That sounds like it could be interesting, I hope its gets carried off well. xDD And she falls into the water? That would mean she would need saving, no? And some hugging between Riiko and Soshi?

Oh, and the HUGE billboard falling off the building - Random. haha
Twas rather insane, xDD

arienai

Post by arienai » May 14th, '08, 00:32

Thx for the stream!
So I guessed right. The "self-awareness" thing is starting. It's kind of odd really. All this time for Night to gain awareness, Soushi has a head start on Riiko's affections.
(At first Namikiri thought it necessitated a memory chip change, but it ended up not affecting anything, and at the end, it was "impossible to analyze" --> a sign that he's gaining self-awareness, and getting jealous?)

It's as if they've switched around the situation in the manga... but maybe they intend for Night to never get an upper hand. Too much for prime time audiences? I just hope they don't make Night into this villain at the end where he has to be defeated so Riiko and Soushi can be together. >.< Though I have an awful feeling that's what they're going to do.

And Riiko still = pout + embarrassed tantrum + looking upset.
explanation for Vincentx:
Soushi's brother was going to fire Riiko for the failure of the cream puffs and damaging the name of Asamoto (because of all those bad comments re: Asamoto on the forum about cakes - all of which were posted by Mika as we saw at the end). Soushi told them that he'll take the responsibility for the failure, so he ended up being demoted.

The breakdown in the manga doesn't happen until 02 is brought around - I don't see that happening in this drama. Maybe they're trying to fit as much of the manga as possible into the drama. >.< It's so awkward.

wachi

Post by wachi » May 14th, '08, 08:22

I'm starting to feel sorry for Night.
Last time I checked, this manga is supposed to be more about him & Reiko..? Why are they making him seem like the 3rd wheel? The progress between him & Reiko is ...slow to nonexistence. I'm growing tired.

Next episode doesn't look that good either.
Reiko annoys me so much that I'm starting to root for Mika. :mrgreen:

I also hate the fact of how they ended previous episodes giving me some hope for Night & Reiko, then next is like we're back to square one. Like what arienai said : And Riiko still = pout + embarrassed tantrum + looking upset. It's like nothing changes.

marspeach

Post by marspeach » May 14th, '08, 13:23

Maybe it's because I haven't read the manga (only seen bits and pieces of it but I haven't been interested in manga in a while) but I still love this show! It's so cute and Night is hilarious. I love both him and Soshi. I do think Riiko is too immature though.

Vincentx

Post by Vincentx » May 14th, '08, 14:32

arienai wrote: explanation for Vincentx:
Soushi's brother was going to fire Riiko for the failure of the cream puffs and damaging the name of Asamoto (because of all those bad comments re: Asamoto on the forum about cakes - all of which were posted by Mika as we saw at the end). Soushi told them that he'll take the responsibility for the failure, so he ended up being demoted.

The breakdown in the manga doesn't happen until 02 is brought around - I don't see that happening in this drama. Maybe they're trying to fit as much of the manga as possible into the drama. >.< It's so awkward.
Ahh, Thank you for explaining xDDD
Some of it I get, but other parts you need to understand whats being said to know what has happened.

I am wondering where this is all leading, as its been said we keep going round in circles. Having said that I'm still enjoying it, and will watch it to the end. Do we know how many episode there will be yet?
There does seem to be some obvious Mika x Night moments in there. And I remember thinking one episode, perhaps Night would be best for Mika as she seems to have had a lot of bad relationships which have made her how she is now. So I don't know, we could be heading that way. But then, how likely is that?

idyanie

Post by idyanie » May 14th, '08, 19:19

i wonder if they would upload episode 5 here anytime soon..just asking..not rushing anything tho :salut: :salut:

pnaysurfer84

thoughts on this drama

Post by pnaysurfer84 » May 15th, '08, 04:47

i like this drama even though I've only read the manga once and just enjoying the eye candy every week. hehehe. but what i think in reference to everyone who had been posting is that Night is a robot so what we can only experience in watching this drama is the closest thing a robot can do. i do think that Soshi and Riiko are going to be the main love team. in the manga, soshi and riiko did grow up together and experienced an unforgettable bond. the mangas core age group was high school and its reader audience high school girls. when we watch this drama, everyone (riiko, soshi and night) start with a clean slate. a girl with no love life, a player trying to prove himself in his families company and a robot who has no one and proving himself to the girl who bought him. meaning, the drama shadows the fantasy world of everyone woman.

I've seen chobits. i know what this whole robot-human relationship is about. so i do think that everyone should just give this drama a chance.

i do believe that we all have our ideals when it comes to a perfect "other". BUT! Night in the live action, is a bit too dry and too straightforward if you ask me. who in their damn right mind would say straight to your face "let's have sex after!" those people who wrote those lines for him (night) should have been more creative with the whole sweet talking the human lover. geez. :goggle: :crazy:

i do wish that by episode 6, everything will just fall into place in relation to the love triangle. so that means more story line and everyone will be happy by the outcome.

ryoko11

Re: thoughts on this drama

Post by ryoko11 » May 15th, '08, 05:42

pnaysurfer84 wrote:so i do think that everyone should just give this drama a chance.
We have been giving this drama a chance. So far I've given it 4 chances, and I'm starting to feel that my hard drive space could be devoted to series that I might like better. (and I'm not even a hardcore fan of the manga... I just like my characters and stories to be better written than what I feel this drama is.) I think I'm just going to read the reviews for the next few episodes to see if things get better before I decide whether or not to download any more of these.

I rooted for Soshi in the manga, but that doesn't mean that I want Night's end of the story to get shorted or Riiko to be turned into a flat character who is defined by her pouting and tantrums.
And Riiko still = pout + embarrassed tantrum + looking upset.
That quote is gold!
The truth is, I am growing to despise Saki's little-girl-all-about-me-and-my-chastity *pout**pout* act... Sorry to Saki fans.... no offense, just my opinion.
While I like Saki in other roles, I find this act annoying as heck too. So no offense taken here.
those people who wrote those lines for him (night) should have been more creative with the whole sweet talking the human lover. geez.
Actually, Night blatantly asking Riiko if she wants to have sex is straight from the manga. It just seems less glaring and funnier when he has a fully developed personality to offset the remark. :whistling: :lol

Corona

Post by Corona » May 16th, '08, 13:33

Having read the manga twice I believe that the adaptions made in the drama have benefitted the story in general and also made Soshi a better fleshed out character (no pun intended ;)

I actually find Riiko less annoying then in the manga ;)

jica

Post by jica » May 16th, '08, 21:55

The drama is getting boring. I was fast forwarding episode 5 and that is not a good sign (for me). Still, I can't just drop this drama, because I want to know what happens, even though I get annoyed.

Night being very robotic isn't a big issue to me, somehow him acting like that will keep reminding us (the audience) and the girl that he IS a robot. The problem is just that, the way Riiko treats him and her attitude towards him, I can't see a way for her to fall for him in the end (or maybe she won't in the drama?). In the manga, Riiko was also aware of Night being a robot, but she fell in love with him despite of the fact. Things happened there to make their bonds stronger, she started to appreciate him. In the drama, they don't have much screen time together, I mean time where their relationship gets developed and deepened, only shows an annoyed Riiko and Night who tries to please her. I mean, Night is her ideal boyfriend, he must be able to act in a way she will be touched, no matter if he's human or not? Or did she fail with defining her ideal, maybe they want to say that what she thought was her ideal boyfriend, when it comes to reality, she likes another kind of guy?

I like Soushi, he is more sympatical in the drama, but not even with him in interaction makes me like Riiko more. I can't find her other than silly and not adorable at all. Maybe I'm too harsh towards her..... ^^;

Riiko in love with Soushi, how will they make it that she will have feelings for Night in a realistic and believable way? Why would Riiko start to fall for Night if Soushi starts showing interest for her, in this way she is looking at and feeling towards Night?

Am I the only one who wants to taste those creampuffs? XD~

theflavoroflife

Post by theflavoroflife » May 17th, '08, 05:46

Somehow I don't see how they are going to make this work... I mean there is like 6 ep left right? I read the manga and I loved it... The rating for the drama is dropping because well duh! the producers are not doing a good job... If Riiko doesn't fall for Night then what's the point of buying him... If she falls for Soshi then it will be just one freaking normal love story with a robot like a third wheel? Seriously? It doesn't even make sense for me... ahh... I just hope that in ep 6 Riiko will do something for Night... in the meantime... I'll be reading the manga again... *I just wish they could stop the freaking robot noises for Night ugh!* :cussing:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 17th, '08, 16:35

jica wrote: Am I the only one who wants to taste those creampuffs? XD~
I'm actually getting quite annoyed with the cream puffs. It's not a cooking show, it's a romance comedy about a girl and her robot. Every time they show the cream puffs, I roll my eyes. Still waiting for the doki doki moments. So far, I'm not feeling it except in episode 1 when Night was being nice to her. I think ep1 is probably the best episode out of all of them --;

theflavoroflife

Post by theflavoroflife » May 17th, '08, 17:19

seirin wrote:
I'm actually getting quite annoyed with the cream puffs. It's not a cooking show, it's a romance comedy about a girl and her robot. Every time they show the cream puffs, I roll my eyes. Still waiting for the doki doki moments. So far, I'm not feeling it except in episode 1 when Night was being nice to her. I think ep1 is probably the best episode out of all of them --;
true that! the drama is getting boring.... i hope that they will pull it off. or else... :cussing:

arienai

Post by arienai » May 17th, '08, 19:50

those cream puffs are seriously annoying... you would think that they would sell <i>some</i> of them instead of like... 5.

Good thing night IS a robot... any other guy would have ditched Riiko at ep 2 >.>

Ov3rs3as

Post by Ov3rs3as » May 17th, '08, 20:23

seirin wrote:
whaha i feel the same..it is just so irritating..

pachuchaxp

Post by pachuchaxp » May 18th, '08, 05:16

i have a question!! lol weird, but can i have a brief synopsis of waht happened in the end of the manga? actually, did riiko end up with soshi?? i double cross my fingers that they didnt!!!!!

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » May 18th, '08, 05:21

It's peculiar and a little saddening how clearly the faults in this drama begin to show!
At first i was all "oh, this is going to be interesting, now they've changed the setting" but now I'm just as annoyed with the cream puffs and the characterisations as everyone else is.. :unsure:

And the manga was good! Well, of course it couldn't have been adapted the way it was very well, but maybe trying that would've been better...?

What i can imagine happening is
that now Night is becoming more human, once Rikko starts to notice this she'll make a violent turn and go for him, which will be sooo unrealistic. If she doesn't, it'll be just boring.
I sort of think this series drove itself against a wall...

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 18th, '08, 05:24

pachuchaxp wrote:i have a question!! lol weird, but can i have a brief synopsis of waht happened in the end of the manga? actually, did riiko end up with soshi?? i double cross my fingers that they didnt!!!!!
In the end Riko picked Night. But Night was breaking down. Soushi went to Europe cuz Riko made her decision. Also cuz his dad told him and his brother to go over to help with a restaurant he opened up or something. Night asked Narimiki for a favor. After Night dies, we find out 6 months later when Soushi goes back to Japan that Night had set up everything. Night asked Narimiki to send a letter and a ring (there's a pair of ring, one for Night and one for Rika) to Soushi 6 months after he died. It was so Riko would have time to get over him. It was really sad when Night died. He told Riko he would love her forever.

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » May 18th, '08, 05:26

Lol, seirin was faster than me xDD

Corona

Post by Corona » May 18th, '08, 21:06

Hmm I was quite positive after watching episode 1 and 2. But the mood is turning a bit sour after watching episode 3 and 4. Give us some steamy chemistry moments people.. and not just a gag reel.

I will finish watching this series, if only for the eye candy and hoping for improvement. I seriously hope they give Night some character development beyond his "bzzz" "plop" "click" sounds ;)

Molenir

Post by Molenir » May 18th, '08, 21:08

I guess I'm going the other way on this show. I like all the characters so far except for Night. His sounds etc, at first it was fine, now though, its getting old. And I really wish they'd have more romantic developments.

That and lay off the cream puffs.

Meecha

Post by Meecha » May 20th, '08, 12:07

wtf no ZK today??-.-

Rori

Post by Rori » May 20th, '08, 12:29

^ Yes, there is. Seems it started a bit late this week.

Meecha

Post by Meecha » May 20th, '08, 13:17

^ yeah nvm, because there was this baseball program
so it it started at 21:15 :roll
move on to my reviews :lol
ep 6 was full of cracks :D
it's so hilarious i luv it
and i luv riiko's mom, lolz she's always like "omg ikemen" at night, soshi
and then even namikiri XD
lolz at the park scene when riiko's dad was pedalling so hard
and then night just drove the boat passed by, lmao :mrgreen:
night was so sweet in this episode, lolz wearing the apron,
brought Riiko's family out for picinic and even collecting the pieces of the
photograph :wub: :wub:
there was more chemistry between Night and Riiko in this episode imo,
Riiko started to appreciate Night more i guess, she agreed to date him at
the office lol
and OMG AT SOSHI HUGGING RIIKO
possibly a fight between Soshi and Night next episode XD

Rori

Post by Rori » May 20th, '08, 13:21

Meecha wrote:^ yeah nvm, because there was this baseball program
Wasn't it Volleyball? xD

I didn't watch it, I've been getting really bored of ZK these past few episodes. Will download the ep later when it's up on torrent, though.

Meecha

Post by Meecha » May 20th, '08, 13:32

^ oh yeah it was volleyball XD
ep 6 was good imo, kinda feel more chemistry between the casts
not just pointless plots like the previous episodes
i hope it'll progress more from the next episode

pachuchaxp

Post by pachuchaxp » May 20th, '08, 16:43

thanks seirin for replying...that's a bad ending :( hope they change it. just hope they make it happy !

xento

Post by xento » May 20th, '08, 17:10

Episode 6:

Seriously, just when you thought Absolute Cream Puff was over, they bring in Absolute Carrot. :evil: When are they going to stick to the main storyline and stop this Absolute Food Crap? I want my Absolute Boyfriend!!!

maakopla

Post by maakopla » May 20th, '08, 18:08

xento wrote:Episode 6:

Seriously, just when you thought Absolute Cream Puff was over, they bring in Absolute Carrot. :evil: When are they going to stick to the main storyline and stop this Absolute Food Crap? I want my Absolute Boyfriend!!!
I agree. Though I just watched only ep 4 (waiting stubborlny for Sars releases) I thik that the creampuff thing is kind of clichee and boring. But guess without them this drama wouldn't have anything. I so predict that in the end everyone is gonna love the cream puffs. Even teh "mean" brother.

Like someone earlier mentioned Night should learn. If he is a robot he should learn new things. It's annoying when he keeps repeating same mistakes. And I'm kind of dsiappointed
that he needed Riiko's kiss before he could remember her. I thought it would go like in manga. He sees Riiko hurt and goes back to her. Guess it was enough for me that he remembered her name.

kgobea

Post by kgobea » May 20th, '08, 18:35

yay! ep5 eng sub is now out! i cant to watch it. im super excited!!!!!! but i have been reading all the comments on here and to be honest i cant decide if its gonna be a good episode or not, oh well Hiro is kawaiiiiiii!

xento

Post by xento » May 20th, '08, 20:13

maakopla wrote: I agree. Though I just watched only ep 4 (waiting stubborlny for Sars releases) I thik that the creampuff thing is kind of clichee and boring. But guess without them this drama wouldn't have anything.
The cream puff story (it's carrot story in episode 6) can be added as a subplot but now it has become the main plot and is hindering any development between Riiko and Night. From the looks of it, maybe they were just being 'realistic' and never intended to have a human and a robot fall in love, or simply, to even become friends from the way Riiko treats Night so harshly.
maakopla wrote: Like someone earlier mentioned Night should learn. If he is a robot he should learn new things. It's annoying when he keeps repeating same mistakes.
Night IS learning, bit by bit, more than the engineers who made him could even imagine, and you will understand when you watch episodes 5 and 6. But there is no point in him growing if the 'reason for his existence' (i.e. stubborn Riiko) refuses to reciprocate the love.

Iwakuralain16

Post by Iwakuralain16 » May 21st, '08, 07:08

Edielen

Post by Edielen » May 21st, '08, 15:03

Waah, so many negative opinions. T____T
I haven't readed the manga, but Im enjoyng this drama sooooooooooo much!
It makes me laugh, giggle, go all "moe" and etc.

Personally I think that the drama is being very realistic.
Riiko's character seems shy, so of course she's not going to be able to act 'normal' with a robot that looks so real. I mean, come ooooon. :roll

-edit-

Aaaah, just saw ep6! Loved it. Can't wait for the next ep. : )
Last edited by Edielen on May 21st, '08, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

Cub

Post by Cub » May 21st, '08, 15:11

Frankly, I dislike the drama. They should just stick to the manga and make it a high school drama instead of all these crap.

But, that's just my opinion.

littledraci

Post by littledraci » May 21st, '08, 15:46

maakopla wrote:
Like someone earlier mentioned Night should learn. If he is a robot he should learn new things. It's annoying when he keeps repeating same mistakes. And I'm kind of dsiappointed
that he needed Riiko's kiss before he could remember her. I thought it would go like in manga. He sees Riiko hurt and goes back to her. Guess it was enough for me that he remembered her name.
We can see in ep. 5 that he's learning *like xento already mentioned*..
Haha, but isn't it much more than expected when he remembered her name? You've been told, that all the memory will be lost after a restart...But later on he remembered more of her...

I read the manga some time ago... was enjoying it, too. But I'm slowly growing tired of the school drama topic. And I think, it's always hard - no matter movie or drama - to make a book/manga come alive... so I like the fact, that they're not going right along the manga.

'Til now I really like the whole cast... well, yeah, sometimes Riiko is a bit more overacting than the others for me--- Soshi and Night are lovly and his 'dad/inventor' is hilarious ^--^

RoosterMcTey

Post by RoosterMcTey » May 21st, '08, 16:27

Iwakuralain16 wrote:Episode 6 has been posted here...

http://youtubetvdrama.blog42.fc2.com/bl ... -1121.html
Oooh thanks! This is much better than the fourlc site, in my opinion (which hasn't uploaded it yet). :D

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 21st, '08, 16:44

Edielen wrote: Personally I think that the drama is being very realistic.
Somehow I fail to find the realism in someone, who is obsessed with chastity, paying a million dollars for a human-like sextoy that she doesn't actually want and then treating it like crap for ages afterwards. :alcoholic:

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » May 21st, '08, 22:38

I don't think it's the issue with Chasity rather than rudeness. It's one thing to reject having sex with Night, but it's another thing to treat him like he's insignificant. If she thought he was important enough to save from being scrapped and spending so much to buy him. She should treat him nicer. Even her phone got nicer treatment than Night. At least she was looking at her phone lovingly when she put the sticker on it. And she wouldn't throw away her phone anywhere. Even if she gets an unwanted/annoying phone calls, I doubt she would smash the phone against a wall or throw it away. With Night, she seems to be always pushing him away and not speaking to him nicely at all. And I think Night deserves more love than her phone cuz he did a lot of nice things for her.

You can argue she's in denial that she doesn't want to love Night cuz he's a robot. But really that's a very long shot. I don't feel she's in any denial at all.

If you want realism, if she was so grossed out by Night being a sex robot/toy saying "let's have sex" then she shouldn't have saved him from being scrapped. It should have ended when Night was taken back.

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » May 21st, '08, 23:14

Personally, I think this drama is a bit disappointing. I read the manga before watching this and I liked how "human" Night was in the series albeit a robot. His feelings and the way he showed his feelings were cute. In this one, Night is so mechanical and I find myself liking the scenes between Soushi and Riiko rather than Riiko and Night which was the case while reading the manga.

Another gripe that I have with this series is that it seems pretty static in the case of the relationship between Night and Riiko. She still treats him somewhat the same as can be expected at the beginning of each episode and then in the end he does something touching and she's happy.

Anyway, that's all I can add about this series for now. I hope it picks up although it's hard to say now that we're already at episode 5.