Too large drama files

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Frej

Too large drama files

Post by Frej » May 24th, '08, 12:37

Im wondering if the uploaders cant re-encode their drama episode to smaller file size
i mean its already ridiculous that each drama episode is around 700-900 mb large for just petty 40 min. Ive seen movies that are around 2 hours 700 mb and still very good quality.

Cant the uploaders just make each drama episodes to 300-400 mb large?

We do have ppl who got capped download speed you know

groink

Post by groink » May 24th, '08, 20:42

[mod edit: offensive comment deleted]

Chrisswe

Post by Chrisswe » May 24th, '08, 21:27

Beggars cant be choosers.

I for one want bigger filesizes, I just recently bought a 1TB disk so now I can finally start downloading high-quality dramas! :D

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » May 24th, '08, 21:32

groink, there is no need to be an **** to people who don't have unlimited internet like you or me. Lots of countries have a set GB of download each month. This makes A LOT of people decide not to download something they want to watch simply because that would be all they could download that month and then they would be stuck on dial up. Frej isn't being ungrateful. They just want to be able to actually download something.

Frej, most unloaders simply get the files elsewhere and upload them here. Most don't have the time, computer power, or they are like groink and don't have to deal with download caps so they aren't concerned with large files so wouldn't ever bother re-encoding any of it.

Your best bet would be make a good friend with better internet who is willing to encode stuff for you. That is what I do for some of my friends with caps. Not in massive amounts or anything but whenever they ask me for something.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » May 24th, '08, 21:47

^ I totally agree with Puppet Princess.
There was absolutely no call for groink to use such language to what may have been a simple question. Wait until they actually deserve it, for heaven's sake... :roll

And as she said, uploaders are for the most part NOT the ppl who are actually encoding the files. They do a lot of work to upload the files they do find for everybody to share. It shouldn't also be their burden to convert the files to a smaller size either.

Another suggestion for smaller filesizes is to look to the chinese torrent sites (see our Links of Interest thread for links) . Most of their shows are encoded using rmvb formats which are typically much much smaller than those found here. They do have Japanese and Korean dramas available, however, the sites are in Chinese and are often hardsubbed with chinese text. I'm not sure if softsubs we have here are compatible with the rmvb versions either...

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » May 24th, '08, 22:19

Chrisswe wrote:Beggars cant be choosers.

I for one want bigger filesizes, I just recently bought a 1TB disk so now I can finally start downloading high-quality dramas! :D
beggars can't be choosers :P but what you really want is higher resolution/high quality files, not bigger files :D

and for the OP, just because we're used to 700mb dvdrips of movies n stuff, most of them are downscaled to reduced resolutions (like 624x352) in order to fit it

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » May 24th, '08, 22:40

Hmm... Don't know what Groink said, but I'd say 99.99% I'd agree with it if not say it myself... :P

Actually, as someone who does encode their own uploads, mine have all been in the 450 meg range for quite some time. Though I do like to have some nice 700-1 gig files to start with!!!!

groink

Post by groink » May 24th, '08, 22:51

For the record, I totally stand behind what I said earlier - word for word. The poster has been a member since February 2008. As Super Chicken would say, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Frej!" You moderators don't like it? Disable my account. I'm serious.

--- groink

Frej

Post by Frej » May 24th, '08, 22:53

i dont know if you have read my first post or you choose to stay ignorant but its not like i have a choice. My internet is capped and gives me little choices to download large files.

Hm so if uploaders cant take their time to re-encode in that case wonder if someone here could help us by starting a little forum section dedicated for ppl who needs small file.

omoiyou

Re: Too large drama files

Post by omoiyou » May 24th, '08, 22:58

Frej wrote:Im wondering if the uploaders cant re-encode their drama episode to smaller file size
i mean its already ridiculous that each drama episode is around 700-900 mb large for just petty 40 min. Ive seen movies that are around 2 hours 700 mb and still very good quality.

Cant the uploaders just make each drama episodes to 300-400 mb large?

We do have ppl who got capped download speed you know
You can choose not to watch you know

groink

Re: Too large drama files

Post by groink » May 24th, '08, 23:02

omoiyou wrote:You can choose not to watch you know
which is my exact point here! If this was 1998, then sure there weren't that many sources for dramas. And broadband was just in its infancy. But this is 2008. I have no sympathy for capped people. There are alternative means of obtaining dramas, including:

- snail mail trading or purchasing media from distributors
- streaming sites, watching shows that are allowed to be streamed by the fansubbers
- Direct download links (DDL), downloading shows that are allowed to be DDL'd by the fansubbers

--- groink

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » May 24th, '08, 23:15

Exactly this is 2008 snail mail is harder to find and do and DDL does nothing to change the file size. If their only option in groink world is "choosing not to watch" then all they can watch is Chinese dramas because no Jdrama and no Kdrama is ever that size. If you only wanted to watch Jdrama and could only manage to download Cdrama file sizes, wouldn't you feel shitty too? And it's not a matter of CHOOSING it a matter of having NO choice. If the file is too big these people CAN'T download the file even if they wanted to.

Not every country has the same type of internet so having no sympathy still makes you a bit heartless.

mizune was spot on though. I totally forgot the Chinese subs. There are Chinese hardsubs for everything and they encode the files to be sooooo much smaller.

omoiyou

Post by omoiyou » May 24th, '08, 23:20

Puppet Princess wrote:DDL does nothing to change the file size. If their only option in groink world is "choosing not to watch" then all they can watch is Chinese dramas because no Jdrama and no Kdrama is ever that size. If you only wanted to watch Jdrama and could only manage to download Cdrama file sizes, wouldn't you feel shitty too? And it's not a matter of CHOOSING it a matter of having NO choice. If the file is too big these people CAN'T download the file even if they wanted to.

mizune was spot on though. I totally forgot the Chinese subs. There are Chinese hardsubs for everything and they encode the files to be sooooo much smaller.
this is how the real world works. Some people born with more money than others, while the poor ones has to work with w/e they have, same case here. But if there are people that would be willing to dl and re-encode these then thats great. I'm just saying that topiccreator shouldn't be complaining why Uploaders has to do the reencode and put them on a smaller files just to cater to him(or others).

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » May 24th, '08, 23:27

It's not really a matter of money either. I know people who spend a lot of money on the best internet you can have in their country. It still sucks majorly and most people in America would die if they had to put up with it.

No one actually has to DL, re-encode, and UL smaller files. The point here should be helping the capped users find some alternatives.

groink

Post by groink » May 24th, '08, 23:30

The difference between BitTorrent and all the alternatives I rattled off earlier is that BitTorrent REQUIRES the user to upload. THAT'S what is slowing Frej down. If he didn't have to upload a single byte, then he would be downloading much quicker. The cause of BT being slow is that your download is throttled by the protocol, the throttle rate depending on your upload efficiency. Therefore, it is totally untrue that DDL or streaming is just as slow as BT.

Regarding snail-mail and distros, there are a HELL of a lot more today than there were just last year. If you surf JDorama.com, you'll find them. Unlike D-Addicts, there's a forum on JDorama.com for the sole purpose of obtaining dramas through means other than the Internet. Purchase a few shows to build up your collection. And then you can start actually trading show for show. There are also drama clubs all over the world, with many of them establishing an Internet presence. There are least two clubs in Hawaii alone that I know of.

It is all about due diligence. If he doesn't do the research for alternatives and immediately post a plea for uploaders to re-rip (a total sin on D-Addicts) what they upload, then he has every bit of flaming coming to him.

--- groink

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » May 24th, '08, 23:36

You don't comprehend the full point groink. I'm not talking about just their download speed but the total amount of GB they are allowed to download. Even if they can download something really fast after a few files they will have no internet left at all.

groink

Post by groink » May 24th, '08, 23:45

The total cap I've seen per month are between 10GB and 40GB, but most are in the 40GB/month range. I think 40GB/month is quite a lot. That's 57 700MB episodes per month. Even in the case of a 10GB/month cap, that's around 14 700MB episodes per month, which is about two to three different series that can be downloaded.

If the cap is even lower than 10GB, then forget DDL and just focus on streaming. The typical stream is about 100MB to 200MB per episode. And streaming works fine even on dial-up. Even at a 1GB/month cap, he could watch ten 100MB episodes per month.