DVD players and soft subs

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
untypikal

DVD players and soft subs

Post by untypikal » Jun 5th, '07, 21:14

hello all,

I currently have a Philips DVD player with divx that supports subtitle files..and it shows and all, but sometimes they are cut off (some lines are missing)..is this just happening with Philips DVD players? can anyone recommend any DVD players where you just play the DVD data disc (drag and drop) and no problems with subtitles? any help would be appreciated!

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Jun 6th, '07, 23:54

here are the dvd players that i've used:

LG dvb418
player does not cut the subtitles and automatically reads the srt file, but the font size is a bit small for my taste plus it has this weird transparent background that incases the subs.

magnavox mwd7006
plays the full srt as well but it has to be selected before each new video file is played but the downside to this player is that the font color and thickness of the subs appear are not that distinguishable (ie font color is white and if it appears on top of an object that is white you wont see it) .

i also have the philips dvp5960 and the dvp642, so i know what your going thru.

Just purchased the pioneer 393s cuz on videohelp.com someone stated that it played multiformatted files other than avi, so ill test that one out and post my findings when i'm done.
Edit:
finally received my pioneer 393s today (7/14/07). srt subtitle feature is the same as the philips dvd/divx player. used the divxmuxwizz to infuse subs and it worked fine. mkv, mp4 formats did not work (will try to find out if there is a firmware available to fix this). ogm suprisingly did, selectable audio but could not select the subtitles :cussing:
overall i'm somewhat satisfied with this player. :|

but to satisfy my need for quality looking subs, i built a simple pc and hooked it up to 50" plasma (via dvi to hdmi), running w98 and the cccp codec.

hope this helps.
Last edited by itsukiD on Jun 14th, '07, 03:04, edited 1 time in total.

spokeydokey00

Post by spokeydokey00 » Jun 7th, '07, 00:18

i do the same thing itsukiD does...i hooked up my pc to my 37" LCD and i can use VLC or windows media center to watch

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 7th, '07, 00:29

just curious, but what kind of video card are you guys using (for the video out/in)?

planodrama

Divx DVD Player

Post by planodrama » Jun 7th, '07, 01:04

I have the Pioneer DV-400V-k
It has the USB Port too, so I don't have to burn DVDs.
It can upconvert up to 1080p!
so the picture quality is really good.
:thumright:

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Jun 7th, '07, 05:18

jholic wrote:just curious, but what kind of video card are you guys using (for the video out/in)?
old ati radeon with dv-i output (radeon 9200 w/ 256mb)
Last edited by itsukiD on Jun 7th, '07, 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

itsukiD

Re: Divx DVD Player

Post by itsukiD » Jun 7th, '07, 05:22

planodrama wrote:I have the Pioneer DV-400V-k
It has the USB Port too, so I don't have to burn DVDs.
It can upconvert up to 1080p!
so the picture quality is really good.
:thumright:
is the USB port on the dv-400V-k, 1.1 or 2.0? cuz 2.0 are rare these days.

as far as upconverting my lg and philips only go up to 1080i.

i should be getting my email to pickup my pioneer either tonite or tomorrow. i can't wait.

planodrama

Post by planodrama » Jun 7th, '07, 05:26

I think it's USB 2.0
It's 1080p but since my TV is only 1080i, I can only upconvert up to 1080i, you can set it up according to your TV. I'm sure you will like this player, I like the color.

spokeydokey00

Post by spokeydokey00 » Jun 7th, '07, 05:42

jholic wrote:just curious, but what kind of video card are you guys using (for the video out/in)?
im using an Nvidia GeForce 6600LE. i connect it using a DVI to HDMI cable. I think it outputs to 1080i (1920 x 1080) but is still download the regular RAWs which are usually 704 x 396. I don't download the higher res due to the large file sizes.

untypikal

Post by untypikal » Jun 7th, '07, 13:18

thanks so much for everyone's help so far...
<B>itsukiD</B> i might try the LG dvd player...this philips one is just not that great :S do you possibly have any screenshots of how the font looks like? like, how small is small?

if anything, i'll just try to learn how to hook up the computer to the TV, although i don't have a laptop >_< just a macbook -_-;;

itsukiD

Post by itsukiD » Jun 7th, '07, 13:51

here's a screenshot of "Kiraware Matsuko no Issho ep10 (704x396 DivX6) RAW" uploaded by gryzze, srt subs uploaded by Pauline on the LG hooked up to the plasma.

LGdvb418
Pc sample

my apologies on the picture quality, using a casio 4Mp exilim.

hope this helps.
Last edited by itsukiD on Jun 9th, '07, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

itsukiD

Re: DVD players and soft subs

Post by itsukiD » Jun 9th, '07, 06:53

untypikal wrote:hello all,

I currently have a Philips DVD player with divx that supports subtitle files..and it shows and all, but sometimes they are cut off (some lines are missing)..is this just happening with Philips DVD players? can anyone recommend any DVD players where you just play the DVD data disc (drag and drop) and no problems with subtitles? any help would be appreciated!
hey untypika, i might've found another solution for you. u can integrate the soft subs onto the avi file by using DivxMuXWizz from www.divx.com.

My sample run of Air City E01 took approximately 3mins to encode. When doing this, the program will change the file extension to .divx, remember to rename the file to .avi extension.

Tested on the LGdvb418 worked perfect, the subs format is almost the same as the pc version. Will test on the philips in the morning... will keep u up to date.
update
Sample played on the philips dvp5960
subtitle had to be selected, but other than that it looks so much better than philips subtitle feature for avi files.

this is a standalone dvd/divx solution only, when i tried to play it on windows media player and media player classic, the subs did not appear.

happy watching
D
Last edited by itsukiD on Jun 9th, '07, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

SmiLeeGirl

Post by SmiLeeGirl » Jun 9th, '07, 07:00

I have a Phillips 5140 -- not sure what you have ...

check out videohelp.com - sometimes there is a way to adjust the size and color and stuff. Seach for your Make and Model + hack ... see what you come up with

fayewolf

Post by fayewolf » Sep 5th, '07, 22:57

SmiLeeGirl wrote:

I have a Phillips 5140 -- not sure what you have ...

check out videohelp.com - sometimes there is a way to adjust the size and color and stuff. Seach for your Make and Model + hack ... see what you come up with
Were you able to watch .srt subtitle files with it? I had it and it cuts off half of my stuff, so irritating, had to return it. divxmuxx didn't work for me not sure because of the file , i tried it on kuitan...not work at all. after 2 seconds it shows the path but it was not converted. :(

hotelier29

Post by hotelier29 » May 19th, '08, 15:13

is there any other new player can be add? any recomendation? i been looking dvd player which can play srt file too. i am tired watching in front of my pc. :(

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » May 19th, '08, 15:42

with HD 720p/1080p rips coming of age and with h264 codec in avi/mkv containers becoming more and more popular, a set top DVD player capable of srt/divx is not advisable anymore IMO.

HTPC is the way go.

Plug your PC to your TV and there you go. Or build a dedicated one. Which ever way you like.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » May 19th, '08, 17:52

popoycanton wrote:with HD 720p/1080p rips coming of age and with h264 codec in avi/mkv containers becoming more and more popular, a set top DVD player capable of srt/divx is not advisable anymore IMO.

HTPC is the way go.

Plug your PC to your TV and there you go. Or build a dedicated one. Which ever way you like.
Not practical for everyone. I have a computer room, because I can't fit the computer in my bedroom with the tv. Plus, I don't want to be tied to the computer, and I want to watch something while someone else is using the computer. :whistling:

The codecs and container support on DVD players gets better all the time, so those will become commonly supported in the future as they gain popularity.

I have one of the Phillips 5140/37 models. It's cheap, region free, and it plays most DivX that I throw at it. It's certainly not perfect. The .srt files don't have word wrap, don't support more than 3 lines at a time, and don't support things like italics. I've begun editing the files when I burn them to data DVDs. You can also use freeware programs like Subtitle Workshop to convert to .sub files, which look much nicer than .srt on these players.

popoycanton

Post by popoycanton » May 19th, '08, 20:30

HTPC should be seen as entertainment center, and PC as a bonus.

I actually have two Pio divx capable players, they still do their part. As more established groups are shifting to h264, ie DB,nya (shelling out HD rips ex. osen), more films (asian from FSS), my stand alones are getting less viewing time.

I doubt you'll see h264 in avi/mkv capable players any time soon.

HD h264 is here to stay, investing in a divx stand alone at this time would not be a wise choice.

Not to mention how gorgeous HD is. Once you go HD, there is no turning back :)

groink

Post by groink » May 19th, '08, 21:19

The thing about building a HTPC is that:

1. It must be very small (laptop size at the most)

2. It must be quiet

3. It must produce very little heat (the Playstation 3 is like an Easy Bake Oven!)

The smallest I've seen thus far is Hewlett-Packard's multimedia PCs. But even they're somewhat large in size. The problem I see is that PC manufacturers are trying to combine a DVD player with DVR capabilities. The DVR is what's causing these things to be large in size - as PC manufacturers like HP are still using 3.5-inch hard drives (vs flash drives and such.) Also, manufacturers are relying on 3rd-party peripherals for video capturing, such as ATI and such, and therefore require a full-sized PCI slot, adding even more bulk to the unit. And last, managing the OS - as most people already have a difficult time with the PC they already have.

The nice thing about an appliance like a DVD player is that they're small and are designed to fit in with the rest of the equipment in your entertainment center. And, as an embedded device it pretty much runs itself with no OS to manage. The PC will eventually become the nucleus of the entertainment system, but you still have several generations of people whose mindsets are still associated with set-top boxes.

--- groink

ita_wang

Post by ita_wang » May 28th, '08, 21:50

I have a problem with my dvd player. I just can display subtile with ekstension .SRT but not .SSA. Is there anybody have a same problem with me??

How to solve this problem?? Thanks..

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » May 28th, '08, 21:54

ita_wang wrote:I have a problem with my dvd player. I just can display subtile with ekstension .SRT but not .SSA. Is there anybody have a same problem with me??

Convert your .SSA file to .SRT using subtitle workshop.
Do a google search and you're bound to find it.

ita_wang

Post by ita_wang » May 28th, '08, 22:00

amrayu wrote:
ita_wang wrote:I have a problem with my dvd player. I just can display subtile with ekstension .SRT but not .SSA. Is there anybody have a same problem with me??

Convert your .SSA file to .SRT using subtitle workshop.
Do a google search and you're bound to find it.
Thank you so much , Amrayu. I'll try that. But I read a article which mentioned that .SSA better than .SRT

Just curious, is that all dvd can't play .SSA ?

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » May 28th, '08, 22:52

.SRT is the simplest form of a subtitle.
With .SSA you can add effects and typesetting. It's just something a little fancier than .SRT.

I haven't seen any type of DVD player that played .SSA yet.

abcd99

Post by abcd99 » May 28th, '08, 23:11

Philips DVP5982 plays SSA subtitles, but all effects / fonts are stripped off.

ita_wang

Post by ita_wang » May 29th, '08, 02:01

amrayu wrote:.SRT is the simplest form of a subtitle.
With .SSA you can add effects and typesetting. It's just something a little fancier than .SRT.

Is there limit for AVI's video resolution so that can be played at dvd player?
Because of mine, there is AVI Files can't be played at DVD Player and when I checked all of them, they all have different video resolution.

What software which can be changed AVI's video r esolution?

Please, give me advice.
Thank u so much..

robx

Post by robx » Jun 8th, '08, 03:46

ita_wang wrote: Is there limit for AVI's video resolution so that can be played at dvd player?
Because of mine, there is AVI Files can't be played at DVD Player and when I checked all of them, they all have different video resolution.

What software which can be changed AVI's video r esolution?

Please, give me advice.
Thank u so much..
You might try superconverter. Though i never tried it before i heard it is an easy to use software to convert computer video files back and forth.

As for playing it on the dvd i could only say that perhaps you need to make sure it is under the ntsc specs ( 720x480 ) to play on ntsc region players.
When you convert files to make them under the ntsc specs you might wanna do your best to resize it by mod32 or at least mod16 for better results.

doom9 does a great job at explaining the resize methods.
http://www.doom9.org/mpg/avistretching.htm

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jun 8th, '08, 03:56

ita_wang wrote:
amrayu wrote:.SRT is the simplest form of a subtitle.

Is there limit for AVI's video resolution so that can be played at dvd player?
Max resolution for Standard Definition NTSC is 720x480...

If you have an 1080p HDTV and a upconverting DVD player, you can go as high as 1920x1080 pixels through the HDMI port... :)

blog234

Post by blog234 » Jun 8th, '08, 04:04

Edit: Whoops, answered in the topic lol

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya » Jul 16th, '08, 21:07

itsukiD wrote: subtitle had to be selected, but other than that it looks so much better than philips subtitle feature for avi files. this is a standalone dvd/divx solution only, when i tried to play it on windows media player and media player classic, the subs did not appear.
I can no longer find "DivXMuxWizz" even via Google. But I can find a DivXMuxGUI. I will test it out soon.

Edit:
For those who are also looking for a solution after DivXMuxWizz disappeared, I just finished testing DivXMuxGUI. It works on my Phillips DVP 3040! However, it is strange. It only works if I stripped the raw AVI from its audio stream. In DivXMuxGUI, I used the video-only AVI as the video source. For the audio source, I used the raw file with both video and audio and I have to specify the audio's track number. Since it only has one audio stream, it is track 1. Then I selected my SRT subtitle, choosing the format as widescreen (if your raw is widescreen). I'm guessing this will accommodate the TV screen's overscan area so subs won't get cut off.

And just a word of caution, the GUI outputs as .divx format and it even has options to make a menu like DVDs, however contains no instructions for the noob. :| Plus, when my player first played the .divx, it froze so I had to pull the plug and restart.