[Discussion] Around 40 - Amami Yuki, Fujiki Naohito

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
canon05

Post by canon05 » Jun 19th, '08, 16:16

I wondered what all the fuss about "Sex and the city" when it premiered, so I watched the first episodes. I found the drama's story is a bit similar to "Sex and the city". Still, "Around 40" is much better! :sweat: Few weeks later, it appeared on CTV News which reported there's a recent phenomenon in Japan and there's a Japanese drama called "Around 40" tells about it and likened it to "Sex and the city". It's a pity I missed the chance to record it. If anyone has it and would share it, I'd appreciate it a lot. Like the drama's story, the report said there are more 40 years old women work, are single, etc. Then it showed a clip from the drama and interviews with the screenwriter and Amami Yuki. When the screenwriter was asked why he chose the sort of the topic. As far as I can remember XD, he replied this is a recent phenomenon the society needs to realize. then switched to Amami Yuki. The interviewer asked her if she has a message for international people which she replied "Tell them that Japanese people are beautiful" and then she did as if she's looking in the mirror to show that her face is beautiful. Of course she said it politely, it's all I could remember what the translator said. She looked pretty bold and very confident when she said this. :lol

motao

Post by motao » Jun 21st, '08, 06:35

(Deleted)
Last edited by motao on Jun 24th, '08, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Jun 23rd, '08, 05:41

Oohh, went through a mass marathon for this show. Started watching the series yesterday because of all the comments about it. And now that the subs are done, I actually finished the entire series in 2 days.

I love Fujiki Naohito and Amami Yuki's cute relationship. I admit I only started watching this series because of Fujiki Naohito and I must say I love it when he acts stingy HAHA :lol

The ending is sweet and I guess everyone ended up happy.
First is Nao's character, did she end up marrying Ma-kun or what? :scratch:

Mizue's character, at first I hated her for being so naive and why the heck would she think Naohito's character would like her. When she got all happy on ep2, I kept yelling at my computer that hey "YOU'RE MARRIED". Thank god she realized it was just a far fetched dream, else if there had been too much drama for that part, I would totally hate her. And I kind of understand her husband's circumstances more for losing his job. But still, he shouldn't yell at her like that. My parents are kind of the same way, the problem really is just communication. I had to yell and cry at both of them so they'll understand how both of their actions is affecting the family especially their children.

As for Satoko-sensei's character, I'm loving her. She's strong, opinionated and knows or at least balances things out before making a decision. She isn't selfish unlike the other two who only thought of their own "ideal" happiness. At first I was wondering why she at least didn't have a boyfriend because she seems like the type to get along well with others. But when her ex came into the picture, I though "ahh that's why" or am I mistaken. Has she been waiting for him or maybe it's just her work that was too much. I'm glad that she found her partner in Fujiki Naohito's character even though he's so stingy = ecology. :lol Can't help but laugh at those scenes.
This has become one of my favorite Jdoramas, and I might as well find other dramas by Satoko sensei since I pretty much watched a lot of dramas by Fujiki Naohito :wub: already.

On a side note, I don't get Sex and the City nor Desperate Housewives. I watched glimpses of them on TV, but the whole premise is absurd. I mean gahh Americans over exaggerate everything. I mean the ones they usually portray are rich housewives who aren't a bit realistic in a sense. Plus, can't they have this kind of shows without having sex as a theme. Sorry for rambling, but I guess that's why I hardly watch TV anymore.

lunas

Post by lunas » Jun 23rd, '08, 22:15

The only resemble this series has with Sex and the City or Desperate Housewife is these women hang out at their favorite place and discussed their problem. Other than that, this series showcased 3 strong, independent women. I didn’t like how they kept emphasis about her age in the first few episodes, but it become one of my favorite drama this season. A superb performances from all three ladies.

the_lilone

Post by the_lilone » Sep 14th, '08, 22:35

i LOVED the drama so much! i saw 7 spring dramas and i surprisingly loved this! more so than the big names Last Friends, CHANGE, Gokusen, whatsoever....

the way each of the cast portrayed each role perfectly!! Amami Yuki was brilliant as Ogata Sensei!!!! and both of the other ladies were awesome too!! it was all so convincing! the humour of the drama was what got me hooked onto it in the beginning.... and the changes of the story and the cast's acting was what made me love the drama all the way to the end!!!

question: does anyone have the soundtrack of this drama??????? this drama has IMO the best soundtrack of that season!! loved it!! please let me know if anyone has it or knows where i could get it... thanks!!!
canon05 wrote:I wondered what all the fuss about "Sex and the city" when it premiered, so I watched the first episodes. I found the drama's story is a bit similar to "Sex and the city". Still, "Around 40" is much better! :sweat: Few weeks later, it appeared on CTV News......
it was on CTV???! that is so wicked!!! if only i saw it cuz i was following the series as it was airing!!! :( code for i need to watch more tv!!

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Sep 17th, '08, 09:38

garnet07 wrote: I love Fujiki Naohito and Amami Yuki's cute relationship. I admit I only started watching this series because of Fujiki Naohito and I must say I love it when he acts stingy HAHA :lol
Not stingy. Eco! :lol