ABC: Wipeout & I Survived A Japanese Game Show

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
pn0yb0i

ABC: Wipeout & I Survived A Japanese Game Show

Post by pn0yb0i » Jun 11th, '08, 06:35

Both shows are available to watch FOR FREE - Streaming from ABC's website with the proper Active X installation http://abc.go.com/player/?channel=114931

I was watching the NBA finals and stumbled on something interesting during the commercials...

From the makers of "Fear Factor" - ABC decides to make a "Japanese Game Show" into an American "Reality Show Serie" version / cut etc.

This is an obvious copy of "MXC" (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge) - a hilarious dubbed hacked n' spliced version of Takeshi's Castle - Japanese Game Show aired on TBS in the late 80's (Takeshi's Castle is also the title of the European Version of this show - done with horrid English dubbing).

For those who aren't Aquainted with this series here are some samples:

UK Version

MXC / Spike TV version

ABC Version
http://abc.go.com/primetime/wipeout/index?pn=index

My question is do you think it will succeed? Possibly over 2 seasons (like Joe Rogan on Fear Factor - which I thought was a totally original program)

Time will tell as this will air in two weeks. Oh yeah, this is back to back with another show called "I survived a Japanese Game Show". Who would have ever thought of that...

Now all I'm just waiting until they stick to airing Japanese Dramas with subtitles... :glare: that alone will change my world forever...
Last edited by pn0yb0i on Jun 26th, '08, 05:40, edited 4 times in total.

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Jun 11th, '08, 06:45

Hmmm. I thought it looked a lot more like "Ninja Warrior" which has been airing on G4 for the last couple of seasons, and has developed a big following.

Japanese TV is big on Obstacle Course shows and "Ninja Warrior" ihas been the big boy on the block for quite a while now.

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » Jun 11th, '08, 07:01

Yes.. I saw the previews for this a couple weeks ago, and I just groaned.

Then I saw a commercial for THIS..

"I survived a Japanese game show".

I think America is finally realizing that Japanese television is SO MUCH BETTER than ours.

Nikkeijin4Life

Post by Nikkeijin4Life » Jun 11th, '08, 15:20

Wipeout is the EXACT copy of Takeshi's Castle.... the EXACT same events! To bad they are 20 years late.... Too bad they don't put Beat Takeshi's TAKESHI GUNDAN and blow the world away with the stuff in that crazy show!!!

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jun 11th, '08, 17:37

Geezer wrote:Hmmm. I thought it looked a lot more like "Ninja Warrior" which has been airing on G4 for the last couple of seasons, and has developed a big following.

Japanese TV is big on Obstacle Course shows and "Ninja Warrior" ihas been the big boy on the block for quite a while now.
I Can see where you might think it looked like "Ninja Warrior" aka "Sasuke" - its because of the water pit's.

However there are two main differences, One sports people with amazing talents / superior body strength - and the other has normal contestants.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 21st, '08, 23:10

yeah, we have a discussion thread going on for Ninja Warrior (Sasuke & Kunoichi):
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_43354.htm

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jun 22nd, '08, 03:00

jholic wrote:yeah, we have a discussion thread going on for Ninja Warrior (Sasuke & Kunoichi):
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_43354.htm
Yeah im subscribed to that one :lol

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Jun 25th, '08, 02:05

Egg-chan wrote: I think America is finally realizing that Japanese television is SO MUCH BETTER than ours.
I don't think thats true. American television is just as good as the next.

Basuha

Do you mean remake

Post by Basuha » Jun 25th, '08, 02:42

I seen the preview and I think it funny, I plan on watching it for sure. For the comment about Japanese TV being better then America, can we please not take it there.

boomincali

Post by boomincali » Jun 25th, '08, 04:49

IMO I believe having Japanese television shows coming to the U.S. is a good thing. Even though some of the shows aren't the same, it's nice to see that Japanese television has influenced U.S. television. Things will get better in the U.S. for this. Hopefully they'll even import some shows over here in the U.S. from Japan. Wishful thinking, I know, but it looks like the U.S. TV execs are testing the waters.

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jun 25th, '08, 05:07

It premiered tonight, and I totally forgot about it. LOL.

Ah well, will grab a cap of it when it shows up on some share site. Until I see it for myself, Ill save the beatdown for later :lol

I just heard that the show "I survived a Japanese game Show" is actually filmed in Japan - when you get to see it just look at the audience as they laugh at all the Americans :P

dmaechan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dmaechan » Jun 25th, '08, 05:19

ah.. i just saw these two shows..
Most Extreme Elimination Challenge is definitely funnier than Wipe Out >.<

..as for I Survived a Japanese Game Show... i actually thought it was hilarious! Majide!! hehe

..sorry don't have much time to elaborate..

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jun 25th, '08, 20:50

I found some Capture links:

For personal use only

"WipeOut.S01E01.PDTV.XviD-2HD"

and

"I.Survived.a.Japanese.Game.Show.S01E01.HDTV.XviD-2HD"

Google both strings for torrent links.
Last edited by pn0yb0i on Jun 26th, '08, 03:27, edited 2 times in total.

Egg-chan

Post by Egg-chan » Jun 25th, '08, 22:08

I Survived a Japanese Game Show... most of the subtitles were completely incorrect, and the name of the show is actually "Honki de" (according to the kanji..)

本気で (Honki de - "Seriously")

マジで (Maji de - "Seriously/really?")

mehhhhh to this show.

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jun 25th, '08, 23:30

I just watched both shows.

Wipeout wasn't so bad. The last course was HUGE. Though the first few contestants really looked "fake" / hired / scripted.

As for ISAJGS, I hate the usual "Reality Show" format with the cutscenes / interview portion. Also the "drama" is a REALLY big turn off. At least now the Japanese get their payback - which is well deserved :-)

Also, since when did "Please be quiet" get translated into "Please turn off the lights"? I guess its a professional thing - but I would have sticked with original translations. Mama-san = LOL.

Overall the show was OK - minus the drama. :salut:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 26th, '08, 03:13

on second thought, i'm moving this back to Gen Discussions. it's pretty much about american shows.

.... so i watched both. actually, i only caught the 2nd half of wipeout.

sorry, but i wasn't overly impressed by either. it was bearable, but i found myself getting bored.

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jun 26th, '08, 03:29

jholic wrote:on second thought, i'm moving this back to Gen Discussions. it's pretty much about american shows.

.... so i watched both. actually, i only caught the 2nd half of wipeout.

sorry, but i wasn't overly impressed by either. it was bearable, but i found myself getting bored.
I would feel the same way if I were watching alone, was more enjoyable watching with others.

Also, links have been edited from previous attachment post - the "google" method should be more safe.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jun 27th, '08, 23:57

pn0y, yeah, you're right, it might have been more enjoyable, but i'm a lot more interested and excited when watching sasuke and kunoichi.

here's my reviews of the two shows.......

wipeout - i only watched the last half, but it wasn't that interesting. there were many factors: not enough competitors and characters, lack of a time limit, and very boring announcers. at first, i liked wipeout's concept of competing vs the opponent's time. many times when i've watched sasuke, i've felt that the time limit imposed were too strict. BUT, i have to admit there's more excitement when you're trying to climb the rope and you've only got 10 secs left, 9, 8, 7.... and that's the other point. in ninja warrior, the announcer (though sometimes a bit rude) is MUCH more exciting. in wipeout, i felt like i was watching golf. they need peppier announcers.

i survived - interesting concept. i think i enjoyed this one a bit more than wipeout. the mama-san is a bit too much. for anyone who really knows japanese people, you'd know this lady is probably fluent in english and just putting on an act. the announcer in this one is ok, but he has the burden of trying to explain (in english) to the contestants and then talking to the audience (in jp). i think the disappointing thing about this one is that it doesn't have a TRUE jp game show feel to it. and i think it's the size of the audience. in most game shows that i've seen, there's like a stadium-full of people in there. in this game show, it feels like they dragged 30 volunteers. not enough people - i think that's it.

Kyoufu

Post by Kyoufu » Sep 3rd, '08, 05:00

I just watched "I survived a Japanese game show"

It's utter crap. Japanese game shows are already over the top, why would they have to take that and make it 3x worse? The studio audience don't really seem that into it either. It's like 100 people and what's up with the fake laughs from the audience? It just seems over the top and stupid.

The 10 people they picked for the show are total morons too, I mean it's not like they usually pick the brightest people for these kinds of shows, but each of them seem to personify the image about stupid Americans.

The translations are poor, half the time the translations are way off. The game show host or any of the Japanese people who participate in the program say something completely different a lot of the time.

Mama-san was just silly, couldn't they at least make an effort to show what Japan is really like instead of feeding the Americans preconceived conceptions about what Japan and the Japanese are like?

AND WHAT'S UP WITH THE F**KING ANNOUNCER? "DECISION TIMUU" "TIME LIMITO"?! Yeah I get it's a "Japanese game show" but how the f**k does it come that you only have a Japanese accent on that last syllable? :scratch:

getawayfrom

Post by getawayfrom » Sep 3rd, '08, 05:38

The show wasn't all that great but I like watching americans make a fool out of themselves. I watched because I thought some of the games were funny and the clothes the contestants wore were outrageous. I didn't really care for the audiences or the host....

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 4th, '08, 01:03

one of my jp friends absolutely despised the show. 'if this is the way they portray a jp variety show, then the american audience will think that ALL jp variety shows are like this.'

Vaux

Post by Vaux » Oct 14th, '08, 12:27

Well for better of worse its coming back. ABC is bringing it back for next summer and has ordered 10 episodes.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111799 ... Id=14&cs=1

tree1234

Post by tree1234 » Oct 14th, '08, 13:20

Ohmy. I can't believe they actually want to have a second round of 'I Survived a Japanese Game Show'?! I watched the first season and I thought it really wasn't an accurate depiction of an actual Jap game show? :scratch:

I felt the drama was too much and the contestants were ... , and I found myself getting really bored at times and wanting to skip some parts though I persevered and watched every bit of it till the end. :faint: I must say I was quite relieved when the season finally ended.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Oct 15th, '08, 02:52

i'm hoping i 'survive' long enough to see the SERIES finale.